Options

Suggestions to replace an ancient laptop please

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    colourbox wrote:

None of this is meant to sway Jane B. to a Mac. If Windows is a better and more comfortable fit, get a Windows laptop. I just wanted to set some facts straight.

colourbox, I wouldn't mind being swayed but it comes down to economics and what will run! A matter to the higher cost for the screen size I want and WordPerfect does not currently have a Mac version (and yes I have used Word on other people's computers and Word97 on this one don't like it). I would also have to replace some other software which I wouldn't if I stay with windows.
    Jane
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    I just bought a gateway laptop today at Best Buy. $650 for Intel Dual-Core, 1GB Ram, 100GB HDD, DVD+DL Burner. It has vista home premium though, so you may not want it. I'm rather pleased, so far.

Just what does that have on it?

I tried configuring one on their site to get at least a 15" screen and was put out with them for requiring that you take: Thank You software from them; AOL client application; and Google Toolbar if you went with Vista. Also, there is NO way to eliminate Microsoft Works!

I will be going back and click on the chat that they tell you to use to get XP and will also clarify about some of these other things.
    Thanks
    Jane
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    Just what does that have on it?

It has a bunch of crap on it (or did) just like any other PC you buy. This is one area where I'll admit Mac has us licked - the "crap factor."

AOL trials, MS Works & Money, Google toolbar, google desktop, 20 WildTangent (adware) video game trials, etc. But you know what? It took me about 30 minutes to remove all of it. I admit that it's 30 minutes I shouldn't have to waste, but I'll never have to do it again. After removing all the crap (and installing the software I use) it enabled me to make recovery DVDs so that if I ever have to (or want to) use them, I'm only installing the stuff I want.

And the thing is, apart from AOL and WildTangent, I've had a lot of clients who didn't want me to erase the other stuff. Works is fine for them. They were happy to have MS Money. They would have downloaded Google's stuff anyway. Different strokes.

Either way - 14.1" ultrabright (and it is) widescreen, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, DVD+DL burner and Vista Home Premium for $650? I'll take it (I did, obviously).
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    It has a bunch of crap on it (or did) just like any other PC you buy. This is one area where I'll admit Mac has us licked - the "crap factor."

AOL trials, MS Works & Money, Google toolbar, google desktop, 20 WildTangent (adware) video game trials, etc. But you know what? It took me about 30 minutes to remove all of it. I admit that it's 30 minutes I shouldn't have to waste, but I'll never have to do it again. After removing all the crap (and installing the software I use) it enabled me to make recovery DVDs so that if I ever have to (or want to) use them, I'm only installing the stuff I want.

And the thing is, apart from AOL and WildTangent, I've had a lot of clients who didn't want me to erase the other stuff. Works is fine for them. They were happy to have MS Money. They would have downloaded Google's stuff anyway. Different strokes.

Either way - 14.1" ultrabright (and it is) widescreen, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, DVD+DL burner and Vista Home Premium for $650? I'll take it (I did, obviously).

Have you ever compared 14.1" and 15". I have really liked 15" but have not used 14.1". My old Dell comes so close to my printer that I have never tried any callabration (sp?) and have heard of people not liking ultrabright for photo work — this will be my only computer.

Another thing were you able to get the "crap" completely off or did it leave traces?

Also, do you have any idea if PhotoShop 6 would run ok? I am not in a position to change from that. I also think I have mentioned that I use WordPerfect Office 12 Small Business Edition — Includes PSP 9 which, so far, I have not gotten as far into as I might. I am also concerned about an old USB scanner (Microtek SanMaker V6USL) that the mfg. site shows driver for XP but not Vista and a Zip 250 drive that connects to a parallel port . There is a post above about a driver that is supposed to work with older scanners but I have not checked anything about it. Have not checked but expect that a Canon Pixma iP6000D is new enough that I would be able to find driver for that.

This would be Best Buy who's clostest store is a good 50 miles away. As I said if Ziggy is in an Illinois cornfield I am in a soybean field!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Jane, I just bought my wife an HP Laptop. It is a HP Pavilion 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (DV6244US),Intel Core 2 Duo T5200, 120GB hard drive, 1GB of DDR2 memory,DVD burner and Windows Vista Home Premium. Paid $899 after rebates at Circuitcity, you can find similar deals around. I prefered this one because it was Intel's latest chio, Core 2 Duo (not just Core Duo), and it was a much more mid range chip T5xxx vs the T0xx you see in some of the cheaper laptops. Whether this makes a difference I have no idea.

Now, this is no Thinkpad in terms of roadwarrior toughness, battery life, etc. Lots of plastic where my Thinkpad is Magnesium alloy. But, just like the XT is as serviceable as a 20D despite it being plastic, so too is this one. It is a nice laptop, and performs like a champ. Since my PC is down for the count, I have been using this. And it run PS CS2, PSP, and all my other software perfectly. I am still on the fence about Vista, but not enough to reload with XP.

I too had to remove software, but I always do when I buy a PC rather than build my own. I even plugged it into my HDTV, and it supported 1920x1080, using the integrated video, so not shabby at all (looked dang good too!)

edit: regarding screen size. This has a 15.4 vs my Thinkpad which is 14.1. It is bigger and that is better, but it is also wide, so that helps a ton when you fill up the screen. I prefer 14 for its portability, but if this is going to be a desktop replacement vs your travel machine, go for the 15.4.

Remember, you can always plug in an external monitor, of whatever size you want...perfect for when you are working at a desk for example.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Jane, I just bought my wife an HP Laptop. It is a HP Pavilion 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (DV6244US),Intel Core 2 Duo T5200, 120GB hard drive, 1GB of DDR2 memory,DVD burner and Windows Vista Home Premium. Paid $899 after rebates at Circuitcity, you can find similar deals around. I prefered this one because it was Intel's latest chio, Core 2 Duo (not just Core Duo), and it was a much more mid range chip T5xxx vs the T0xx you see in some of the cheaper laptops. Whether this makes a difference I have no idea.

Now, this is no Thinkpad in terms of roadwarrior toughness, battery life, etc. Lots of plastic where my Thinkpad is Magnesium alloy. But, just like the XT is as serviceable as a 20D despite it being plastic, so too is this one. It is a nice laptop, and performs like a champ. Since my PC is down for the count, I have been using this. And it run PS CS2, PSP, and all my other software perfectly. I am still on the fence about Vista, but not enough to reload with XP.

I too had to remove software, but I always do when I buy a PC rather than build my own. I even plugged it into my HDTV, and it supported 1920x1080, using the integrated video, so not shabby at all (looked dang good too!)

edit: regarding screen size. This has a 15.4 vs my Thinkpad which is 14.1. It is bigger and that is better, but it is also wide, so that helps a ton when you fill up the screen. I prefer 14 for its portability, but if this is going to be a desktop replacement vs your travel machine, go for the 15.4.

Remember, you can always plug in an external monitor, of whatever size you want...perfect for when you are working at a desk for example.

Interesting! I think we were posting at the same time though. Please look at mine just above yours it shows some of the things I am concerned about.

I little more about me. I am a retired bookkeeper trying to support of computer and photo hobby on a very, very, restricted budget. I have really enjoyed having a laptop even if it leaves home rarely. Am not in a position to have both laptop and desktop.

As I have mentioned several times, if Ziggy is in an Illinois cornfield, I am in an Illinois soybean field. I am about 60 miles east of St. Louis in a small community of 15-20,000 when you count 3 towns that run together. We have a few independent computer shops and a small Wal-Mart. NO, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. You have to go about 50 miles across the fields to come to any of those.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    The laptop I just bought is not my only computer, and that makes a difference. I'll certainly be using this for editing photos while on the road and in the coffee shop, but most of my photo work is done on my desktop. I don't find the 14.1" widescreen to be small (my desktop is a 20.1"), nor do I have a problem with editing photos on the ultrabright - but that is strickly a personal feeling.

The thing that would make me "not thrilled" about using this as a full-time photo editing notebook is the hard drive speed (4200). I can replace it with a faster one easy enough - but for my purposes it's just fine. I bought this computer for portability - if that's not a concern for you there are many notebooks with more powerful stuff in them for around the same price or just a bit more.

I'm the one who found the scanner driver in the earlier post - driverguide says it works, but I don't have the scanner so I haven't tested it. The printer will certainly work fine. PSP9 and WordPerfect should be fine in Vista, Photoshop 6 I don't know about - I use PSP. You can always try in google "Vista Photoshop 6" and see what comes up.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Ah, well Jane, in your case, perhaps Dell is a better option. Or an afternoon spent on a short trip to at least see some of these laptops "in person"..Just because many laptops are shipping with Vista, does not mean you have to use Vista. You can certainly purchase a copy of XP for the new laptop , and most of the Dell machines ship with XP installed, and an upgrade of Vista. I am confident that if you want XP on it, Dell will build it that way for you.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    I am confident that if you want XP on it, Dell will build it that way for you.

Indeed - and if making your hardware work is the fear, this may be the option you take.

As far as the software goes though, you can always run something in Vista under XP Compatibility mode. Works for everything I've tried so far.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    At this point I am looking at this one:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/systemconfig.runtime.workflow:LoadRuntimeTree?sb=:00000025:00000072:
    with just the upgrade to 8X Max DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) PATA Fixed Media Bay drive, 1GB PC2-5300DDR2 SDRAM base memory [add $150.00]. NONE of the additional software! As I said earlier, I already have WordPerfect Office 12 Small Business Addition which includes PSP 9: PhotoShop 6; plus some misc. stuff such as a label maker for CDs that was really cheap — came with an applicator and some labels and, course, Adobe Reader for PDFs although I use CutePDF to create PDFs.

I came awfully close to getting one through a local shop; then I noticed that it listed the Lenovo 3000 C200 8922 rather than the 3000 C200 89222BU and that it would have the Pentium Dual Core T2060 @ 1.6GHz rather than the Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66 Ghz. The cache would be 1MB rather than 2. The sheet just lists "DVD-Writer - integrated" I don’t know how that compares to the "8X Max DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) PATA Fixed Media Bay drive" as configured on the Lenovo site. Both DO take PC2-5300 memory. The data bus speed on the one through the local shop is 533 MHz while the one from Lenovo 667MHzFSB which I assume is just a different way of referring to the speed of the same thing with the one direct from Lenovo faster. They both use the same graphics controller. Hey experts, how do these two compare? There is a hundred dollar difference in the price.

One puzzle that I have not solved regardless what I get in a computer is my Zip 250 Parallel Port Drive for which I have 17 disks — 3 of them in very active use — as NOBODY seems to be putting parallel ports on laptops anymore. It turns out that the "ThinkPlus USB Serial Parallel Adapter" would NOT support this drive but is JUST for printers! Nor have I found a USB adapter that DOES. I did run across one for the PCCard slot at around $100 US during my checking. That got me to thinking about the adapter I have on hand from attaching my Backpack CD writer before I added USB 2 to my current computer. But . . . the documentation that came with it says "The backpack USB Adapter and backpack PC Card only support backpack drives. Printers cannot be used on the backpack USB Adapter or PC Card, either directly or when connected to a backpack drive. A printer can only be used on backpack’s pass-through Printer connector if backpack is attached to the computer’s printer port." BUT . . . the cable from the PCCard ends in a female parallel connection!
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    Jane: I gave up on zip drives several years ago...two reasons: they are small and S L O W.

A Zip disk holds 100MB (unless you use the 250 disks with yours). You can get a 1GB thumbdrive for $20-$30 on sale, replacing all 17 of your Zip disks, and it is USB. The USB 2.0 port on your new computer will transfer at 400mbits per second, something on the order of 10x faster than your Zip drive.

Drop the Zip, move on. Buy a thumbdrive, use an old PC to transfer the contents of the Zip disks, and enjoy the speed.

As for chip, the Core Duo 2xxx is the first generation of the Core chips, while the Core2 5xxx is the latest gen. Though at the lower end, the Core2 is a better chip. The bus speed is the speed at which the chip and memory talk to each other, with more being better, but overall, as with the chip, you are not likely to notice a big difference. For $100, I would pick the better chip machine. You will notice a difference in amount of memory being used, so if you have a choice of 1 GB vs 2GB, pick 2GB. Do not purchase a machine with less than 1GB.

For the DVD writer, they are all basically commodities now, without much difference between them, so I would not consider that in choosing the laptop.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    Have some more food for thought.

In trying to sort out the choice between the one at http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...0025:00000072:
    with just the upgrade to 8X Max DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) PATA Fixed Media Bay drive, 1GB PC2-5300DDR2 SDRAM base memory [add $150.00]. NONE of the additional software! and another Lenovo through a local shop, the 3000 C200 8922, I called the shop to get a better handle on the two. It turns out that what I thought might offset the slightly lower specifications of the 8922 is not the case; I would have to pay $50.00 an hour to have help from them to do such things as make sure that I got the Norton software completely removed (I have heard that can be tough) regardless of the source I used for a new computer.

At least two of you have spoken of removing pre-loaded software. Just how hard did that turn out to be to get it completely off? Or did they leave remnants that you just forgot about and went merrily on your way? I am not familiar with how hard software removal is in the later OSs as I am still in the dark ages with Win 98SE.

In the other direction will need to decide on anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. that I WILL want. Suggestions? Norton seems to be a resource hog and I have heard a number of other negative things about how theirs currently performs.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    I didnt remove Norton, I am one day, but so far it is not a factor. The Dual Core really does shine when a scan is going on, as I do not notice the scan at all! In any case, there are instructions and tools on the Symantec website for removing Norton, so you dont really need a tech to do it.

The other software is really just trial versions, and other 'sales pitches' like AOL and other things. Actually few of them are completely installed, and a quick walk thru 'Add/Remove Programs' takes care of the bulk.

However, if it really bothers you, by far the easiest solution is to purchase a retail version of Win XP or Vista, reformat the drive, and install your own, fresh OS. Your laptop will not ship with a Win CD, but instead with a recovery image hidden on the harddrive, which will typically install all the software again. Frankly, I would use the laptop for a while to see if there are problems before I resort to this.

As for malware software...it really depends on how you use your PC and surf the web. if you use Outlook or Outlook Express and you tend to surf around or get bamboosled by emails, then you should get Norton or McAfee and use it. These will be the one stop shop, fire and forget solutions.

For the cheaper, but more fussy solution, you can go with AVG Antivirus, Adaware Personal for spyware, and ZoneAlarm for firewall. These are not integrated and you must maintain them, but they are free.

For my kids PC and for my wife's laptop, I have a security suite installed, because it is easier, and better than explaining why websites don't work as expected. I use CA eTrust antivirus and Pest Patrol on the kids PC, because it was free with my broadband, and Norton on my wife's laptop until the trial expires, to be replaced with CA.

Now, if you really want a lightweight solution, here is what I do...and yes it requires some behavior changes:

1) I use only web-based email, like Gmail...no Outlook, ever
    2) I do not visit unfamiliar websites
    3) I use Firefox plugins to block ads and popups (AdBlock+)
    4) I use Firefox plugins to block all scripts, choosing only those from familiar sites and needed for actions I approve. (NoScripts)
    5) I use IE almost never, unless a website I need requires it. I do not accept activeX controls.
    6) I use a hardware firewall on my router, restrict access to my network , blocking all inbound ports not requested by my PC.
    7) I utilize a web based, free virus scanner, such as CA eTrust Web Scanner, or Trend Micro Housecall
    8) I have MS Defender on and active, MS Firewall on and active.

I use the above with my main PC, the one I use for photo and vidoe editing. This PC I only use. If you manage your behavior, you do not need antivirus and malware. I scan for viruses weekly with the websites, because some files can be contaminated. Otherwise, the firewall and Defender work quite well keeping bad things out.

Yes this works. No virus or spyware in over 18 months. (much longer than that, but have been using Norton prior to this strategy)
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2007
    AOL Active Virus Shield (free - based on Kapersky) and staying away from websites you shouldn't visit are all you need. Firefox 2 and IE7 both block most bad stuff from normal websites. Outlook blocks most everything bad that could come via e-mail (still, don't open attachments from people you don't know, and don't use the preview pane).

I can't remember the last virus I had. I can remember the last 15 clients whose computers were running slowly because of Norton.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Pupator wrote:

I can't remember the last virus I had. I can remember the last 15 clients whose computers were running slowly because of Norton.

I used to think that Norton just wrote really bad Mac software. But the more I read the more it seems that they just write bad software period.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I used to think that Norton just wrote really bad Mac software. But the more I read the more it seems that they just write bad software period.

Yeah, you're right about that one. When they were the only real option around we just had to grin and bear it. Not so anymore. If you want paid AV software EZTrust (by Computer Associates) is a good option - but why pay for it when Kapersky, AVG, and Avast! are all free?
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    Procrastination may have led to me getting an upgrade — assuming that any Thinkpad is an upgrade from a 3000 C200. Lenovo is now running a St. Patrick’s Day Sale on Thinkpads! For the R60 it is $250 off. If I go with XP Home rather than Pro and a 60 rather than 80GB hard disk it gets the ThinkPad R60 to $75.44 higher than the Lenovo 3000 C200 I had configured. But if I were to go with XP Pro, which is what I configured on the C200 with, it is $159.38 more than the C200.

They are also offering an upgrade to Vista for just shipping & handling if you buy certain computers preloaded with XP. Preloaded with XP Home gets you a mail-in-rebate of the purchase price, less shipping and handling, for Vista Basic or Vista Premium (you have to wait for a different amount back — $59.95 or $89.95). Preloaded with XP Pro the ONLY choice is Vista Business and it is free. I feel caught betwixt and between on this. There are things I like about XP Pro but when it comes to Vista what I read about Vista Home Premium appeals to me.

Purchase must be made by March 15, 2007 for the XP to Visa offer and/or March 19, 2007 for the St. Patrick’s Day Sale. I am not sure how long the free shipping lasts.

All I know about these operating systems is from reading about them. This does seem to be a good way to get Vista at a good price but give them a chance to get the worst of the bugs out before going to it. Even then it will probably depend on if I want to run something that needs it rather than XP.

Comments please. Of course, I don’t expect you to decide for me but I like bouncing ideas off of someone that knows more than I do.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    Jane: I have used both Vista and XP extensively. I see no real advantage to Vista at the moment. I do like the media edition that ships in Vista, but dont use it much.

At this time, a number of things do not work well on Vista. iTunes, some of the Canon apps seem flaky on Vista, and other oddities. I will be giving it at least a year before I consider upgrading (it is on my wife's laptop now).

Get the machine you prefer, you can always get Vista for a few hundred later.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Gorgeous!
    Andy and other Mac people:
    That is my reaction to actually seeing a MacBook Pro with 15.4 screen. A fellow brought one to our photo club meeting this evening. But . . . it doesn't give me any more resouces to actually buy one. It still looks like it will be a Lenovo ThinkPad R60
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Thanks to the private help from a fellow dgrinner I have been able to order a ThinkPad with such things as a 15" screen, 1GB of memory, 5400rpm 100GB hard drive, 8X DVD recordable drive. Estimated ship date is March 29. Once it gets here I will be back for additional advice in getting it setup to suite me.

Also, I am looking forward to doing more exploring of the use of raw since a number of the latest converters don't run under the old OS (98SE) that I have on this old computer. I can't be sure of any other software changes until it actually gets here and I find out what runs and what doesn't of what I already have.

Thanks to everyone in this thread.
    Jane
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    Thanks to the private help from a fellow dgrinner I have been able to order a ThinkPad with such things as a 15" screen, 1GB of memory, 5400rpm 100GB hard drive, 8X DVD recordable drive. Estimated ship date is March 29. Once it gets here I will be back for additional advice in getting it setup to suite me.

Also, I am looking forward to doing more exploring of the use of raw since a number of the latest converters don't run under the old OS (98SE) that I have on this old computer. I can't be sure of any other software changes until it actually gets here and I find out what runs and what doesn't of what I already have.

Thanks to everyone in this thread.
    Jane
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    It's Here!!!
    clap.gif I got the ship confirmation on Wednesday (3/21/07) and it showed up this morning after I watched it move across the world via UPS tracking. Very quick for having chosen the free ground shipping. And wonder of wonders it was in a box handled by UPS without getting all dented up. That was my one fear about it coming via UPS as they have a reputation for rough handling in this area.

This happened to be a day I was busy with other things and I am just now getting to sit down and read what little documentation comes with it. That is one thing that I really miss compared to buying back in '99. That and the lack of disks supplied with it. As I get into it I hope there is a way to create them myself as protection against accidental erasure or disk failure in the future. I am really missing getting to do more reading before jumping in and doing.

One thing I know DID turn out as hoped. The ThinkPad and my old Dell are slightly different in physical dimensions but looked close enough to still use the carrying case that I bought years ago for the Dell (it is still in very good condition). What with the interior straps that close with Velcro and a movable divider in the interior it will work fine.

Even before it got here I purchased an adapter (for around $15) that will let me attach BOTH my old keyboard and mouse via a PS/2 to USB adapter for use when at home. It has a Y in the cord and uses only one USB port! How much I use it with the mouse attached will depend on how I find the TrackPoint or touchpad — I found the touchpad on my old Dell to be very easy to control precisely before it developed a problem with the left button.

One thing I know I still have to work out is how to get the data that is on Zip 250 disks onto something to use with the ThinkPad. I was out at our Cultural Society this afternoon and they have a USB one that they use with their Mac but it is a Zip 100 drive and my disks are 250's. Now I remember having that problem several years ago when I had trouble with the drive and had to wait to get it back to get at any of my information stored on those. I found a number with Zip drives around here but not 250's. As I remember it, it is too slow to use as a source and burn to CD's with old computer. The only thing I can think of is to put them temporarly on the HD of the old computer and burn to CD's from there.

Any comments you want to make before I go any further?

Thanks again
    Jane Brink
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Now the questions begin anew
    I have been trying to get familiar with the new computer but it has be an off and on process because of other things going on.

I am looking for the BEST way to get the Symantec stuff that came on the new computer off and then go to Avast. I do have the Avast downloaded with my old computer and burned to a CD. I want to avoid connecting to web without protection but also keep from having getting rid of the Symantec stuff (I have found Symantec that has Live Update under it and Symantec Client Security that has Symentec AntiVirus & Symantec Client Firewall under it all under Pre-Loaded. When booting a baloon above the icon in the Task Bar says Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition may be out of date. That is the farthest I have gone about exact version.

I am not sure just what other stuff I will leave on or take off. One that I can't really remember the details of what it does is Picasa2.

Jane
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Jane, I would simply uninstall Norton. Simply go to the control panel and remove it. It is usually pretty good at completely removing itself, so dont worry. Sometimes there are problems, but your fresh system likely will not have them.
    Jane B. wrote:

I am not sure just what other stuff I will leave on or take off. One that I can't really remember the details of what it does is Picasa2.

Jane

Picasa is a nice photo management tool. If you use it, enjoy it...Its pretty lightweight, though it does leave picasa.ini files all over the place. No harm, but that seems to upset some.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Got Norton off and Avast on. It did take using some removal software from Symantec's site as the Live Update folder kept saying there were still products registered with it.

I have also worked with screen settings to get the color and size fonts I want, etc. but there are still some things that come up smaller than I would prefer.

Installing a Canon Pixma IP 6000D printer this morning was wierd — one place in the installation of the Canon software kept saying it couldn't find it and another place kept saying it was ready. I finally quit trying and it works.

Should I be able to install PhotoShop 6 without jumping through any hoops? Search doesn't seem to think the way I do to find previous answer(s) to this.

I do also have questions about how to know when there are Windows Updates BUT know what each one is supposed to do BEFORE downloading and installing. I have put a number on but am so aware of the different places I have heard of ones the cause problems.

I do still wish there was a MANUAl for Win XP Pro included on the disk as such. A PDF version would be fine. Yes, I am one of those rare people that does read manuals!

I have a feeling there will be more; but now I need to get the masters made for the tickets for our Mother/Daughter Banquet.

Thanks
    Jane