how often do you change lenses?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited February 19, 2007 in Cameras
let's say your own vacation, how many lenses are going planning on taking along? how many times would you plan on changing it?

let say you decided to...buy the sigma 10-20 and the canon 24-105 L so you'd have all of your basis (almost) covered up to 105 and you just wanted to stick with those....would you take both and change them out perdiodically depending on what you see? and on a once in a lifetime vacation, how do you garuntee that all of your pictures will come out prestine wihout dust on the sensor? which is a grave threat when changing lenses - - - do you take a blower thing with you and clean it every evening or what?

and lastly, is there a best way to change a lens? obviously, standing in the middle of a sidewalk in a busy city might not be the best place to change a lens, so what's the best method of doing this?

wow - I know that's a ton of questions in a short area, but I'd love to hear what y'all say about this! vacations are some of the best times for photographers, and I just want to see what experience y'all have!

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 13, 2007
    easy answer: relax! it's a camera, not brain surgery!

some of the best photos I have in my smugmug were from a motorcycle trip I took to the Alps where I was constantly swapping between my cheapo 18-55mm kit lens and bargain basement 70-300IS on my 300D... wearing dirty gloves... astride a dirty motorcycle... in the rain... uphill... both ways (you get the point yet?)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    First thing you have to know is that sooner or later your sensor will get dirty. That's why god invented eclipse fluid and sensor cleaning swabs.

I shoot with two bodies and that decreases my need to change lenses as often as I would with one body. When the scene calls for a different lens I just change lenses.

I'm going to Glacier in Sept and Hawaii in October and I plan on bringing my 17-35 2.8, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4, 105mm 2.8 macro, and my 80-400 + my 1.4 and 1.7 TCs. This will cover me from 17mm to 400mm. I expect to be changing lenses often. I try to keep the camera pointed down when I change glass.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    how many times would you plan on changing it?

Whenever I need to. It's a camera, it can be cleaned or fixed. What's the point of having a camera especially a slr if your too worried about using the camera and changing lenses.

Like the saying goes "Drive it like Ya Stole it" - seen on some redneck trucker hat somewhere. If your buy something use it, if you won't use it, don't buy it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • madderncmaddernc Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Howdy RE

I agree with the general sentiment so far. Just change when you need to. Just make sure you have some method for cleaning the sensor. Even if you do you are going to get dust, its a fact of life with current DSLRs.

As for the change, power off, body facing down and out of the wind as much as possible is all your can do.

While spotting out the dust in PS is a pain its not the end of the world. Missing THE shot becasue you hesitated changing the lens on the once in a lifetime trip is! :cry

Cain
    "One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it." Galen Rowell

WildFocus Images

Blog: WIldFocus Images
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    This doesn't apply to your camera, i don't think, but it will slowly start to apply more in the future. The XTi has a feature that you can use where the camera appends dust data to the RAW files so you can remove it using DPP in post. I'm going to start using that feature after each lens change. That way any new dust that is on the sensor that isn't removed by the power on dust removal of the XTi will be documented and attached to the RAW files to be removed later.
  • kapaluakapalua Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    lenses
    hey Ross,
    When I'm shooting a wedding, I always carry two bodies on me, so I only change lenses maybe 4 or 5 times during the day.

However, on vacations - I don't even bring my DSLR any more - it feels too much like work to me. Just put my little Canon 710is in a pouch on my belt and I'm good to go!
    -Larry

Laurence Kim Photography
    Seattle Wedding Photographer
    A Bride's Guide to Wedding Photography
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    First thing you have to know is that sooner or later your sensor will get dirty. That's why god invented eclipse fluid and sensor cleaning swabs.

I shoot with two bodies and that decreases my need to change lenses as often as I would with one body. When the scene calls for a different lens I just change lenses.

I'm going to Glacier in Sept and Hawaii in October and I plan on bringing my 17-35 2.8, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4, 105mm 2.8 macro, and my 80-400 + my 1.4 and 1.7 TCs. This will cover me from 17mm to 400mm. I expect to be changing lenses often. I try to keep the camera pointed down when I change glass.

Good heavens Harry......
    .. you are bringing a Slave to carry all this stuff right ?? eek7.gif
    Here I am trying to figure out which 3 lenses I will reduce my choices to, and your bringing the entire store front rolleyes1.gif

I'm looking forward to meeting you in Glacier...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I just got back from a trip to Africa - and so faced the exact situation that you are asking about. So far, the advice has been good.

Some things to consider:

1. Know your lenses! Be familiar with the kind of shots that you can get with each lens. Think about why and when you switch lenses while you are shooting at home. There were times when I wanted to get ALOT in my photo - so I used my 17-85mm:

20070206231836_20070114_twobabyrhinossky2.jpg

At other times, I wanted to take more of a portrait type of picture with a short DOF, so I switched to my 50mm prime lens. The key thing is that before I even left, I could easily pick the lens that I knew I would need to fit the scene that I wanted to shoot.

The other aspect of knowing your lenses is that you can then pick the lens that you want to start out with for a particular photo session. You may still end up changing lenses, but you should at least be ready for the day this way.

Also - you should have some idea of what you will be taking photographs of at your destination. I knew that I would need a relatively long lens because I would be shooting alot of wildlife at a distance. (One cool thing that happened - a professional photographer was staying at the same place as us in Kenya - and he was a Canon guy. He let me borrow his 100-300 L series lens for the afternoon one day! Nice! bowdown.gif )

2. If you can, find a local photographer/peer who can teach you how to clean your sensor. I thought I would be cleaning my sensor every day in Africa, but as it turned out, the conditions where not all that bad. I was changing my lenses (carefully) in the back of an uncovered safari truck and didn't have much of a problem with dust.

3. Changing lenses? I try to have the "new" lens that I want close to my camera with the protective cap unscrewed, but not taken off. I loosen the lens that is on my camera and make sure that the front of my camera is facing down. I then take off the back-side lens cap, move my camera onto the new lens and screw it on. Then I move the cap to the lens that I just removed and I secure it. My sensor is rarely exposed for more than a few seconds. (Of, course, this is easier to see, than to explain in words)

You should definitely check your sensor each evening. I accepted a few spots near the end of my trip - knowing that I would be able to retouch them out once I got home. If the spots would have been significant, I did have my sensor cleaning tools with me.

Hope that helps.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    let's say your own vacation, how many lenses are going planning on taking along? how many times would you plan on changing it?

As few lenses as possible, especially with today's luggage restrictions and sticky-fingered baggage handlers. I try to go with one zoom. If you think you will be encountering once-in-a-lifetime photo possibilities, then you can bring whatever specialized equipment you want. But I try to bring one SLR, and one pocket camera for when I just want to be a tourist on vacation without a bag hanging off me.

When to change lenses completely depends on your vacation. If it's the Grand Canyon, you might need one wide stopped down lens and never need to change it. If it's Paris and you want to shoot at noon on the river and also inside a dim museum, then of course you need to switch to a fast lens at some point. Or maybe the one you brought is fine. It depends.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Good heavens Harry......
    .. you are bringing a Slave to carry all this stuff right ?? eek7.gif

Errr, I guess Andy didn't tell you. As a mod with less seniority you are expected to carry my glass for me at Glacier. :ivar
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    If it's Paris and you want to shoot at noon on the river and also inside a dim museum, then of course you need to switch to a fast lens at some point. Or maybe the one you brought is fine. It depends.

that's ironic...actually, my France trip was the one I had in question...haha.

this i GREAT information! thank y'all so much!

so would you recomment me taking my little blower thing to clean the sensor if necessary? I guess it's not like it's heavy or anything, and I wouldn't have to actually carry around with me in the city or anything, right?

well, I really appreciate all of the information! anything else you'd like to add, I'd appreciate it even more!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 13, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:

so would you recomment me taking my little blower thing to clean the sensor if necessary? I guess it's not like it's heavy or anything, and I wouldn't have to actually carry around with me in the city or anything, right? ...

- RE

Ross,

If it's light and small and effective, how far would you kick yourself if you didn't take it and you needed it? ne_nau.gif

Personally, I would take both a blower and a brush. I probably wouldn't worry about more than simple dust, which those should handle.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    1. Change lenses when the shot requires it.

2. Dust from changing lenses has been overplayed - a lot.

3. Someone said "I point my camera down when changing lenses to minimize dust on the sensor".

4. My answer, "Right, and which way is the rear of the lens facing when you do this - up by any chance?"

5. Dust that's in the air floats in the air - it doesn't fall from the sky, and it isn't being shot at your camera (one exception might be a dirt bike race).

6. When you change lenses, is the shutter open? Can dust leak through a closed shutter?

7. If you never change your lens, the sensor will get spots on it. This has been confirmed - personally - I only had one lens for the first four months - I cleaned the sensor six or seven times in this period with a new 30D.

8. A bottle of liquid sensor cleaning fluid should fit into a suitcase (don't keep it in your carry-on camera bag).

9. Sensor wipes don't take all that much room either.

10. Some airport security person might get suspicious over a blower - it will fit into a checked suitcase too.

There, now you're ready to go.

The problem that most likely will occur is that you'll drop a lens during changing. This highlights one advantage that zooms have over primes - their focal length can be changed quickly without changing the lens (within the zoom range).

I try to change lenses when sitting down - if not feasible, I try to find some grass to stand on; a drop won't be serious - dirty perhaps - but not serious.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
    edited February 14, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    1. Change lenses when the shot requires it.

2. Dust from changing lenses has been overplayed - a lot.

3. Someone said "I point my camera down when changing lenses to minimize dust on the sensor".

4. My answer, "Right, and which way is the rear of the lens facing when you do this - up by any chance?"

5. Dust that's in the air floats in the air - it doesn't fall from the sky, and it isn't being shot at your camera (one exception might be a dirt bike race).

6. When you change lenses, is the shutter open? Can dust leak through a closed shutter?

7. If you never change your lens, the sensor will get spots on it. This has been confirmed - personally - I only had one lens for the first four months - I cleaned the sensor six or seven times in this period with a new 30D.

8. A bottle of liquid sensor cleaning fluid should fit into a suitcase (don't keep it in your carry-on camera bag).

9. Sensor wipes don't take all that much room either.

10. Some airport security person might get suspicious over a blower - it will fit into a checked suitcase too.

There, now you're ready to go.

The problem that most likely will occur is that you'll drop a lens during changing. This highlights one advantage that zooms have over primes - their focal length can be changed quickly without changing the lens (within the zoom range).

I try to change lenses when sitting down - if not feasible, I try to find some grass to stand on; a drop won't be serious - dirty perhaps - but not serious.

hey! great information - - and a fun read as well!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I tend to start wide and go narrow. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a 50-500mm lens mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Like most others here, I change lenses when necessary to get the shot I'm after. I take what I think is necessary to get the shots I expect. Of course, with the limited collection that still means most. The last trip I took, I fit everything in my Slingshot 200 (20D/grip, 24-70, 12-24, 50/1.8, various cables & accessories). The tripod went in one of the checked suitcases. The MF rig stayed home.

This rig filled all my needs from nice wide-angle picture-postcard shots of the beach to mid-range street shots and some nice after-dark and sunset shots.
    The nice thing with the SS200 is the sling action allows lens changing within the bag, which was nice while 300' up a tree. eek7.gif

So, in short, pick the smallest set you think you'll need and try to make it small enough to be carry-on. Then just take shots & don't worry too much about changing or not.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Great post Glenn! I have to say, I tend to agree with everything you've written. I do try to avoid changing lenses in dusty situations, but it can't always be avoided. I think people sometimes get paranoid about sensor dust. My theory - use the lens you need for the shot you're taking (that's why you bought that lens, right?) If your sensor gets dusty, clean it, and move on. Hell, I had a few dust spots on my 30D sensor when it arrived - most people I've spoken to seem to have similar experiences.

Not sure if someone posted this here before, but...

129204464-L.gif
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I get paranoid myself about dust. ne_nau.gif
    If I'm out strictly for Birds and such I leave the ole 80-400mm on.
    Now and then as I find a viable subject I might slap on the ole 105mm Macro.....but face the bayonet side down to reduce possible dust from settling inside.
    May or may not work but kinda force of habit.rolleyes1.gif
    I TRY to setup the camera for the proper lens for the day if possible so I'm not swapping all the time.

Told ya I was paranoid! :D
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Travel lenses; this is the basic kit: 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8.

Three lenses, great coverage. Sometimes I also bring the 1.4 extender, but I never seem to use it. The wild card is the 24-105. It's tempting to travel with this lens alone, even tho it's f4.

Changing lenses. I have a funky technique. Put on lens cap. Unscrew lens. Put on end cap. Put cap camera body, which I keep sheltered and pointing down. Pull out new lens. Uncap body. Uncap lens. Screw lens in. Goofy, huh?

I recently got an Iron Butterfly. It's going on the road with me. No more having to live with dirt on sensor.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I change lenses when i want to & i really dont care about conditions. Of course i cover the camera with my body in the rain/sea spray or dust.

I get my sensor cleaned once a year. You can get too paranoid & miss all the fun i recon no trouble at all.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    On a recent (!!?? now more than 6 months back!!) trip to Europe I took one lens - a Sigma 18-125. I still got dust on the sensor (didn't take anything with to clean it).

Just be aware that sensor cleaning fluid is a no-no on most airlines, whether it's in your hold luggage or not.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Travel lenses; this is the basic kit: 16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8.

Three lenses, great coverage. Sometimes I also bring the 1.4 extender, but I never seem to use it. The wild card is the 24-105. It's tempting to travel with this lens alone, even tho it's f4.

Changing lenses. I have a funky technique. Put on lens cap. Unscrew lens. Put on end cap. Put cap camera body, which I keep sheltered and pointing down. Pull out new lens. Uncap body. Uncap lens. Screw lens in. Goofy, huh?

I recently got an Iron Butterfly. It's going on the road with me. No more having to live with dirt on sensor.

Ok I'll bite.....what's an Iron Butterfly? headscratch.gif
    Inagodadivida? rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 15, 2007
    Ross,
    How often you need to clean a sensor is very strongly influenced by what kind of photgraphy you do. Shooting birds with Harry I do not worry about dirty sensors because I know I will be shooting at larger apertures - f4, f5.6 mayb f8 very rarely f11, and dust bunnies just are not seen in the images shot at f4 or f5.6.

BUT.....when I go out to shoot landscapes in May I will very carefully clean my sensors first because I know I will be shooting at f11, f16,18 and maybe even f22 from time to time and now dust bunnies will stand out like a neon sign.

I try to limit lens changes if feasible, but don't really worry too much about it. At Bosque where the road is a really dusty gravel road I try to retire to the car with the windows closed to swap lenses.

I recently read about a technique of changing the lenses inside a transparent garbage bag - the garbage bag will attract the dust through static electricity I suspect also. A garbage bag is a good thing to have if you are going to shoot in subfreezing weather to prevent condensation when returning inside from the cold.

As for travelling for shot trips - I carry an Arctic Butterfly from VisibleDust, but now easily available from Amazon.com. For a trip lasting longer than a week or two, I would bring some Eclipse and a dozen sensor swabs if I was going to shoot landscapes.

As for lenses, depends on what you are shooting. For landscapes, 16-35, 24-105, 70-200 will be carried routinely. I frequently add the Tamron 200-500 if I expect to see wildlife. Might also include a 50f1.4 or a 100macro as well. I will ALWAYS bring a 580ex with an ST-E2 remote IR trigger and a first rate tripod.
    Birds require much heavier artillery.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Ok I'll bite.....what's an Iron Butterfly? headscratch.gif
    Inagodadivida? rolleyes1.gif
    Oops! 11doh.gif

I meant Arctic Butterfly. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 15, 2007
    I knew whatcha meant!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Lately I've only been taking two lenses out of my case, home or vacation. The EF-S 18-55 kitty that came with my 20D, and the EF-S 10-22 I picked up to compliment it. My longer lens just doesn't seem to get much use (might help that it's an old piece of junk compared to the EF-S lenses), and the primes only come out on rare occasions that I need something that fast. Packing for the last trip we took, I pulled the primes out and the long lens rode along, but I don't think it ever came out. But then, I'm a landscape guy with a penchant for oddball texturals and abstracts.

As for changes... as with many on this thread, I change whenever the subject dictates. Though I do try to shot with what I have on first, and only change if it's not going to work. (I used to "always" go back to one lens after switching to take a specific shot, or shoot a particular location... then I realized that often if I wanted a given lens once, odds were good I'd want it again.) I do have something of a pattern down for changes, that I usually rope my wife into helping with. It goes something like this:

1. cap current lens, shutdown camera.
    2. pull new lens from camera bag.
    3. hand "assistant" new lens, they "crack" the rear cap so it will just pull off, no twist needed.
    4. unlock old lens from camera, remove and hand to assistant
    5. move rear cap from new lens to old lense
    6. take new lens from assistant and lock to camera
    7. turn camera on
    8. take old lens from assistant, which now has rear cap locked on, place in camera bag
    9. uncap front of lens
    10. shoot. :)

By the end of most vacations, especially those that we go to shoot, we've got it down to a well oiled process that can be done in a couple seconds without words. As with anything, good help is hard to find... I have on occasion replaced my "assistant" in the above with a handy table. While it's a bit slower, tables don't complain that this is the 10th time you've changed lenses on this hike so far, and that at this rate we won't make it to the spot we wanted to see the sunset from until midnight.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I have one body XTI and three lenses. The kit I rarely use and if I do I know I'll have plenty time to set up the shot. Usually for a landscape shot.
    My main use lenses are my 28-135 and my 70-200.
    I've switched them several times on a windy white sand red flagged beach at Cancun. I would use a blower to clean the back of the lenses every couple switches to make sure there wasn't sand on the glass.
    The 28-135 is supposedly a dust magnet so I'm more careful with switching that for some reason even though the 70-200 cost 3 x more.
    The XTI cleans itself with the flip of a switch so I'm not worried about the camera too much anymore.
    I usually had a plan of where i was going and what I wanted to shoot before I left the room so I would put on the lens I thought fit what I wanted to shoot. But it didn't always go as planned.
    At Chichen-Itza ruins for example, I must've changed the lenses 10 times. Just don't rush and drop the lens or camera. Last thing I want to do is accidentaly drop the lens or camera in the sand.

my process when changing from 28-135 to 70-200 on vaca was...
    pull 70-200 out of bag
    take off its' rear cap
    point camera downward and unscrew 28-135
    pull lens away and slide that rear cap from the 70-200 onto it quickly
    lay the 28-135 in the bag.
    screw the 70-200 on the camera as it's still pointing down
    uncap 70-200
    shoot if rushing
    or put front cap on 28-135 and put it away.
    every couple of lens switches, I'll use the blower on the back of the lens and clean the front as necessary. And I spit shine everything at night.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Lately I've only been taking two lenses out of my case, home or vacation. The EF-S 18-55 kitty that came with my 20D, and the EF-S 10-22 I picked up to compliment it. My longer lens just doesn't seem to get much use (might help that it's an old piece of junk compared to the EF-S lenses), and the primes only come out on rare occasions that I need something that fast. Packing for the last trip we took, I pulled the primes out and the long lens rode along, but I don't think it ever came out. But then, I'm a landscape guy with a penchant for oddball texturals and abstracts.

As for changes... as with many on this thread, I change whenever the subject dictates. Though I do try to shot with what I have on first, and only change if it's not going to work. (I used to "always" go back to one lens after switching to take a specific shot, or shoot a particular location... then I realized that often if I wanted a given lens once, odds were good I'd want it again.) I do have something of a pattern down for changes, that I usually rope my wife into helping with. It goes something like this:

1. cap current lens, shutdown camera.
    2. pull new lens from camera bag.
    3. hand "assistant" new lens, they "crack" the rear cap so it will just pull off, no twist needed.
    4. unlock old lens from camera, remove and hand to assistant
    5. move rear cap from new lens to old lense
    6. take new lens from assistant and lock to camera
    7. turn camera on
    8. take old lens from assistant, which now has rear cap locked on, place in camera bag
    9. uncap front of lens
    10. shoot. :)

By the end of most vacations, especially those that we go to shoot, we've got it down to a well oiled process that can be done in a couple seconds without words. As with anything, good help is hard to find... I have on occasion replaced my "assistant" in the above with a handy table. While it's a bit slower, tables don't complain that this is the 10th time you've changed lenses on this hike so far, and that at this rate we won't make it to the spot we wanted to see the sunset from until midnight.

But if you already have your sherpa holding the lens, why not just let them hang on to it until you are ready to swap back? headscratch.gif I've found a number of times I have my wife/sherpa (don't tell her I said that :uhoh) hang on to the lens--and even handle the lens capping. Then when it's time to swap I just say "lens!" and poof, the other one appears beside me ready to mount. The trick is a patient and understanding wife--and one that's being trained to spot shots on her own, thus the process is now her fault ("honey, how about that shot?"). mwink.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    I change lenses every hour on the hour. Regardless of whether or not I'm using the camera.
    edited February 16, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I change lenses every hour on the hour. Regardless of whether or not I'm using the camera.

how do you sleep what such a rigorous routine!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4