how often do you change lenses?

2»

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    At first it was tough, but at this point I can change the lenses without ever waking up. It does freak the fiancee out a bit though.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    how do you sleep what such a rigorous routine!

- RE

More importantly, how do YOU sleep when your lenses could be forming a permenant bond to the camera body, staying fused together. FOREVER! rolleyes1.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    But if you already have your sherpa holding the lens, why not just let them hang on to it until you are ready to swap back? headscratch.gif I've found a number of times I have my wife/sherpa (don't tell her I said that :uhoh) hang on to the lens--and even handle the lens capping. Then when it's time to swap I just say "lens!" and poof, the other one appears beside me ready to mount. The trick is a patient and understanding wife--and one that's being trained to spot shots on her own, thus the process is now her fault ("honey, how about that shot?"). mwink.gif

Hehe... I suspect I'd find said lens headed my way via "air mail", from a distance, and with a fair amount of force behind it if I tried that. :D My wife is usually off shooting with her camera while I'm shooting with mine, so I'd rather keep all the bits of mine in my bag. She sometimes amazes me with what her little point and shoot can come back with... looping back to roseelliot's initial question on this thread... sometimes it just doesn't matter what the lens is, it's the person on the other end of it that counts. There's a great quote in a photography text I had in school, I forget who it was that said it... but it had to do with DoF calculations and basically said "don't let the process of photography get in the way of capturing a great image." Same goes here... don't let the question of which lens to shoot with get in the way of just getting the image, and enjoying being there in the moment.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Lots of good advice in this thread.....instead of a bottle of sensor cleaning liquid... I carry in amy bag several packets of ZEISS Lens cloths...premositened and have used them to clean sensor...had to wrap said lens cloth around a q-tp but it worked and the cleaner evaporates extemely fast....
    Where to buy...not sure...bought 600 2yrs ago at Sams' Club...as to size of lens cleanig cloth packet - the same as a Trojan mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• druhldruhl Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I carry in amy bag several packets of ZEISS Lens cloths...
    Where to buy...not sure...

I've seen bulk packaging at Sam's Club and smaller boxes in Wal-Mart's optical department.

I don't have a sensor to clean (yet) but love them for just about everything else.

Donn
    "The following statement is true. The preceding statement was false." George Carlin
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    As for travelling for shot trips - I carry an Arctic Butterfly from VisibleDust, but now easily available from Amazon.com. For a trip lasting longer than a week or two, I would bring some Eclipse and a dozen sensor swabs if I was going to shoot landscapes.

PF, can you speak to what the pros/cons would be between the arctic butterfly and the sensor brush (spinning device kind)?

Erich
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 18, 2007
    With the sensor brush, you need to use canned air to charge the sensor brush. You cannot take canned air on a commercial airline.

With the Arctic Butterfly, you charge the bristles with an electric motor which spins the brush. Seems to work fine, it is small and takes up little space.

There are times you will need to use Eclipse and a Swab tho. Not all the dust bunnies come from outside the camera.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    With the sensor brush, you need to use canned air to charge the sensor brush. You cannot take canned air on a commercial airline.

With the Arctic Butterfly, you charge the bristles with an electric motor which spins the brush. Seems to work fine, it is small and takes up little space.

There are times you will need to use Eclipse and a Swab tho. Not all the dust bunnies come from outside the camera.
    Got it. Thanks!!