Options

New Dgrin Header and New Style!

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 28, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hot off the presses, we have a new header full of rotating images for you! Many of you have asked to be able to see the images bigger, as well as, who took the images? Now, you can click on the image and be taken to the gallery in a new window. This will also allow us to feature all sorts of images whenever we want to, so stay tuned!

Also today, I put up a new style for you to choose from, "Enlighten" is the name for it right now (anyone have a better name?)... if you aren't familiar with the forum style chooser, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and choose one :thumb

135602302-L.jpg

We hope you enjoy these new features :thumb

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    The banner looks good but... one of my images is being used there without my permission!

I'd sure appreciate it if you would remove that photo from your banner-- here's a screen shot. Plus, in the future, please ask permission first! This actually quite surprises me since dgrin/smugmug are usually quite dedicated to protecting users images.

75573789.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    The banner looks good but... one of my images is being used there without my permission!

I'd sure appreciate it if you would remove that photo from your banner-- here's a screen shot. Plus, in the future, please ask permission first! This actually quite surprises me since dgrin/smugmug are usually quite dedicated to protecting users images.

You submitted it into the Dgrin picture of the year 2006, it's in the Dgrin gallery...
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    You submitted it into the Dgrin picture of the year 2006, it's in the Dgrin gallery...
    Thats what i was thinking headscratch.gif ...hell ..all of mine are up there as well.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 13, 2007
    Glad to see some new pics on the banner. thumb.gif

One minor complaint: clicking on the pic takes you to the gallery containing the pic, but you are positioned at the first pic in the gallery, not the pic you have clicked on. I suppose people's expectations vary, but I would click on an image to see a larger version of the image or find more images from the same photographer. I wouldn't expect to have to hunt through several gallery pages to get there.

Regards,
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Also today, I put up a new style for you to choose from, "Enlighten" is the name for it right now (anyone have a better name?)...
    You could call it sand thumb.gif

Just reminds me of the sand theme on smugmug is all.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    dogwood wrote:

Pete, it's of paramount concern to us. Always has been.

Here's what I replied in the email you sent our help desk on the same issue:
    Hi Pete,

It's the same image that's in the Photo of the Year contest, and it's linked from that Gallery which is on dgrin.smugmug.com.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=49361

I hope this helps,

Andy
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Pete, it's of paramount concern to us. Always has been.

Here's what I replied in the email you sent our help desk on the same issue:

Andy:

I know I submitted that photo for the photo of the year contest-- but I was ONLY submitting it to the photo of the year contest. I never agreed nor did I give permission nor was I asked if it was okay or told that it would be used in the dgrin banner nearly four months after the contest.

In fact, I was actually quite surprised to see it in the banner-- it's usually common courtesy to ask the owner of an image before using their image in a case like this.

If it's linked, I'd appreciate the link removed from the banner. I don't get a sense from your reply that this is going to happen? I'm really holding back here and trying to approach this without flipping out. It's my photo, I own the copyright, and I don't want it used in the dgrin banner.

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Andy:

I know I submitted that photo for the photo of the year contest-- but I was ONLY submitting it to the photo of the year contest. I never agreed nor did I give permission nor was I asked if it was okay or told that it would be used in the dgrin banner nearly four months after the contest.

In fact, I was actually quite surprised to see it in the banner-- it's usually common courtesy to ask the owner of an image before using their image in a case like this.

If it's linked, I'd appreciate the link removed from the banner. I don't get a sense from your reply that this is going to happen? I'm really holding back here and trying to approach this without flipping out. It's my photo, I own the copyright, and I don't want it used in the dgrin banner.

Hello Pete. Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that you are nearly flipping out. Pete, our rules state that we can use the image in the manner that we've just done. Nevertheless, we are not evil, and I have removed your photo from the competition gallery, though for the life of me I can't understand why having your wonderful work exposed in such a manner could ever be bad.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thank you, Andy. I really appreciate it. I obviously need to read those rules more carefully-- I really thought submitting that photo was just for the photo of the year contest. I had no idea it could end up in banners or other places on dgrin. Again, I appreciate your help as usual.

Anyway, just to be clear-- it's only photos submitted for dgrin contests that can be used by dgrin in other places? If I post something for critique or an example on dgrin, that won't show up unexpectedly in a banner or somewhere else?

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Thank you, Andy. I really appreciate it. I obviously need to read those rules more carefully-- I really thought submitting that photo was just for the photo of the year contest. I had no idea it could end up in banners or other places on dgrin. Again, I appreciate your help as usual.

Anyway, just to be clear-- it's only photos submitted for dgrin contests that can be used by dgrin in other places? If I post something for critique or an example on dgrin, that won't show up unexpectedly in a banner or somewhere else?
    In the past, it was considered an honor by most for an image to be chosen for the banner. We'd get really good shots that were posted in threads, or in contests. Not once did anyone complain... But now, it's just images that are already on dgrin.smugmug.com so I don't expect you need to worry about anything.

Again, you have me completely baffled, can't imagine why you'd not want a photo that promotes you, but hey, it's up to you.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I wouldn't mind having diff photos of mine up there. People are kind of chancy as I don't have releases, but my family is OK, of course.

What about having a submission thing like our art gallery guild does here for new people to be able to display their art as members of the Guild.

I don't enter much anymore, much of my stuff is on Dailies, but this would be conducive to spending more dGrin time, without the stress of entering every competition and whatall.

just a thought.

And, that controversial photo by dogwood that was taken off, it was a very nice photo, just my opinion, of course.

Ah, I see my rooster...................how super cool!!!!

Personally I see it as an honor, and I know others who do too. Warms the cockles of their hearts, it does.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    ginger_55 wrote:
    And, that controversial photo by dogwood

It was controversial?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It was controversial?
    it is now apparently lol3.gif

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Again, you have me completely baffled, can't imagine why you'd not want a photo that promotes you, but hey, it's up to you.

Andy:

Just to clarify-- in my opinion (note: this is just MY opinion) the photo seemed to be promoting dgrin and smugmug-- not me. I don't remember seeing my name or link anywhere in the banner. But I do see both dgrin and smugmug in the banner.

Now click on the banner. It takes you to a dgrin gallery. Click on a photo-- you can right-click/ctrl-click download anything there (something I rarely if ever enable on my website)! But even worse, there's still not a link to my site. It's all dgrin. Yes, there's a photo credit, but unfortunately I can't use photo credits to pay the bills.

And... in any other situation, I would actually charge people to use one of my images to promote their website. Yes, now I'm fully aware I messed up by misunderstanding the rules of the contest but I'm very pleased as usual that dgrin/smugmug was willing to work with me to clear this up.

Also, consider the audience here. It's a bunch of photographers-- not a bunch of potential clients. My clients tend to be local clothing designers and boutiques-- they don't hang out here. My marketing plan does not include promoting my services to photographers-- they don't need my services.

This actually seems to be a good topic for the 'mind your own business' section-- so I'll post something related there on 'photo contests' in general.

I do want to end on a positive note though. Typical of the outstanding customer service here and at smugmug, even though it was my error, dgrin and smugmug cleared it up. I really applaud that and it's what will likely keep me as a smugmug customer for life. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    I do want to end on a positive note though. Typical of the outstanding customer service here and at smugmug, even though it was my error, dgrin and smugmug cleared it up. I really applaud that and it's what will likely keep me as a smugmug customer for life. thumb.gif
    Happy to help. Pete, personally I think you're too wound up over this. Get your name out there, anywhere, it's all good. Yes, be wary of sites that will use your images for their profit not yours, like many of the stock-harvesting contests out there. Or book-material harvesting contests.

But Pete, we're not evil, we don't do such things :D
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Enlighten me by making the type larger?
    Andy wrote:
    Hot off the presses, we have a new header full of rotating images for you! Many of you have asked to be able to see the images bigger, as well as, who took the images? Now, you can click on the image and be taken to the gallery in a new window. This will also allow us to feature all sorts of images whenever we want to, so stay tuned!

Also today, I put up a new style for you to choose from, "Enlighten" is the name for it right now (anyone have a better name?)... if you aren't familiar with the forum style chooser, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and choose one thumb.gif

135602302-L.jpg

We hope you enjoy these new features thumb.gif

In your screen grab the type looks much more readable than what I see in FF on my Mac. Is there an option to make the type larger?

I can't believe you're retiring my favorite WHITE style! :-( (There's one in every bunch, right? :D )
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Aw come on now:D ....Retiring the white.....I would put a vote on the Retire the UGLY "grey matter" theme and keep the white.....I mean seriously folks this is photog forum...what better symbolizes photography more than Black / Whitebowdown.gif ....of course these are all just shades of grey, right...but unless that grey is a useful 18% then let it go....:D....Keep the white......

Also on my screen the Dgrin and SmugMug links in the banner are really cut off.....but only on the "enlighten" theme..........just thought you might like to know :-}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Aw come on now:D ....Retiring the white.....
    No worries, it's just a little inside joke Art.

Also on my screen the Dgrin and SmugMug links in the banner are really cut off.....but only on the "enlighten" theme..........just thought you might like to know :-}}
    what's your screen rez? Browser/version? How about a screen shot?

Also, try shift-refreshing, you might have the old image cached.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    THat's actually an interesting idea, create a theme based around 18%. Call it "Photographer" :D
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    In your screen grab the type looks much more readable than what I see in FF on my Mac. Is there an option to make the type larger?
    cmd-plus thumb.gif I do it all the time, on all the styles :)

I can't believe you're retiring my favorite WHITE style! :-( (There's one in every bunch, right? :D )
    No worries, White lives thumb.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Ask and you shall see
    Andy wrote:
    what's your screen rez? Browser/version? How about a screen shot?

What I see...
    135775071-L.jpg

My Firefox:
    135775077-S.jpg

My screen resolution:
    135775081-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    My screen resolution:
    Dee, I was asking Art, who said his header wasn't being seen. You want your fonts bigger, yes? I do that on my Mac, with cmd-plus a couple times thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You could call it sand thumb.gif

Just reminds me of the sand theme on smugmug is all.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gif
    thumb.gif

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    You wanted a screen capture....You got it
    Andy wrote:
    No worries, it's just a little inside joke Art.what's your screen rez? Browser/version? How about a screen shot?
    Andy wrote:
    Also, try shift-refreshing, you might have the old image cached.
    Just updated FF a few days ago....Have not used IE for over 4 months now....as for having an "old version" cached...nope it was view less than 2 minutes boefore my previous post...and that was first view of the now "SAND" theme.....so I went and checked all of the themes and "Sand was the only one like this Screen Res is 700 something by 1000 something...what ever PSCS said I had to set it at to use PSCS
    Screen capture.....

135787733-L.jpg

yep still the same after all these minutes:D...Oh yeah before doing screen capture...I shut everything down to clear out all cache.....mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    yep still the same after all these minutes:D...Oh yeah before doing screen capture...I shut everything down to clear out all cache.....mwink.gif
    I just switched to Sand and it was like that at first. Shift-refresh and it was fixed. Sorry Art, it's just you. ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I just switched to Sand and it was like that at first. Shift-refresh and it was fixed. Sorry Art, it's just you. ne_nau.gif
    Watch it DoctorIt or you might need surgery to remove that finger from nose:D......yes doing a shift refresh cleaned it up for now.....but why do we need to know about these tiny little tricks.......ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:

Just updated FF a few days ago.

Art, shift-refresh, The logo's fine in FF.

If that doesn't work, try the diagnostics here:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=288184
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflOH WELL....I know some people will LOVE it but to me however it reminds of the color associated with baby diapers....I think it is called BABY SH.. YELLOW.............rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl:D I could not spend any lenght of time looking at it:D.....so oin Dgrin it is either BLACK or WHITEbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif at least for now......Jus' me 'umble opinons and not worth the time youse took to read itthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb.

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I think it is called BABY SH.. YELLOW.............

And here I thought you liked using yellow headscratch.gif