F-117A Stealth

140115190-L.jpg

140114392-L.jpg

140114942-L.jpg

It can fly very low:
140115104-L.jpg

The rest is here:
http://nik.smugmug.com/Events/302479

(A few more galleries are coming, including Thunderbirds and P-51, F-15 and F-22 trio)
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    I think the Radar Plane is an E2C Hawkeye yes?

I got some M-16s flashed on me once when I was peeking in the window of one that had parked on our ramp at the airport....What? It was there!! heh
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Nice series Nik. I just want to know how this one stayed in the air after the batteries fell out.

140106653-L.jpg

Bear
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    headscratch.gif I've never seen an E2C with props like that. Is that just a west coast thing? bsvirginian
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    Nice series Nik. I just want to know how this one stayed in the air after the batteries fell out.

Bear

i agree nik, great series! what i want to know is why couldn't they have cleaned the dust off before the show?

140107425-S.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Cool shots thumb.gif a little moisture in the air, huhh?

This plane just looks like some skin fell off if you ask me ne_nau.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    140106653-L.jpg
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Prezwoodz,
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I think the Radar Plane is an E2C Hawkeye yes?
    I'm not sure ne_nau.gif .
    I think I saw E2C earlier and it looked different, but I'm not that big on the plane IDs.
    Let's see if Mike Lane or somebody else with the on-hand military aviation experience can tell us.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Bear,
    behr655 wrote:

Bear

Thanks!

Yeah, it does look very weird. I was wondering myself why didn't the close the chassis hatch right after the take-off... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Nir,
    Nir wrote:
    i agree nik, great series! what i want to know is why couldn't they have cleaned the dust off before the show?

lol3.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm not sure ne_nau.gif .
    I think I saw E2C earlier and it looked different, but I'm not that big on the plane IDs.
    Let's see if Mike Lane or somebody else with the on-hand military aviation experience can tell us.
    looks like an E-2 hawkeye to me.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Great series Nik! looking forward to the rest - thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Ivar,
    ivar wrote:
    Cool shots thumb.gif a little moisture in the air, huhh?

This plane just looks like some skin fell off if you ask me ne_nau.gif

Thanks!

It's amazing, how sharply this thing can turn!
    F-15 was flying in the same air (20 minutes difference maybe), but it got nowhere near as much "vapor blast" (I don't know what the technical term is).
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks!

It's amazing, how sharply this thing can turn!
    F-15 was flying in the same air (20 minutes difference maybe), but it got nowhere near as much "vapor blast" (I don't know what the technical term is).
    I'm sure there is a technical term for it, I just call it condensation (due to pressure change) lol3.gif but I'm not one to be difficult about technical terms anyway. "Hey, we need to go right, you do that thing, I'll do this thing. Gimme that long checklist, k?" :D
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Prezwoodz, Ivar,
    ivar wrote:
    looks like an E-2 hawkeye to me.

You guys are correct, it *is* E2C Hawkeye, I found it in Wiki (with the Pt.Mugu as its home station! clap.gif )
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Dj-s1
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Great series Nik! looking forward to the rest - thumb.gif

Thanks!
    It will take a bit (I filled both cards that day) and it's not gonna be as impressive as these ones (well, Thunderbirds are still cool:-), but I'll do my best :-)
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Awesome series. You did a great job capturing the action of the planes in the air.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Great series i loved 1st a lot
    How they sound ? eek7.gif if compared to F16 more or less ?? i heard stealth has no sound
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Maestro,
    Maestro wrote:
    Awesome series. You did a great job capturing the action of the planes in the air.
    Thank you, appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Awais,
    Great series i loved 1st a lot
    How they sound ? eek7.gif if compared to F16 more or less ?? i heard stealth has no sound
    Thanks, man! thumb.gif

They all (I mean all the Fs) can be both very loud and very quiet, depending on the amount of thrust they do. Sometimes it's deafening, sometimes you don't hear it until it's right on top of you....

When two or more of them were airborn, it was plain scary sometimes, since you had no idea which plain is coming from where. You just hear the roar...

F117 only made a few passes w/o any stunts, so I can't say about its all audio or maneuvering capabilities. I wouldn't call it very loud, though...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Wow, this is super, real sense of speed.

140107881-S.jpg

And I like this one too. That Buff sure cleans up well, huh?

140050321-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Sid,
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, this is super, real sense of speed.

And I like this one too. That Buff sure cleans up well, huh?

Thanks! thumb.gif

I was hoping to get something stately at the show, since I was totally out of ideas, and that B-52 tail was the closest I could find. Still no cigar, though...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Few pictures from the show.

B-52
    Tail
    Pano (CS3)
    Radar plane (Edit: E2C Hawkeye)
    Nose view
    Propeller
    F-15
    F-22
    F-117A Stealth
    It can fly very low:
    The rest is here:
    http://nik.smugmug.com/Events/302479

(A few more galleries are coming, including Thunderbirds and P-51, F-15 and F-22 trio)

Glad you got to go to the Airshow Nik, this lot look great clap.gif
    They just had a big one here too, but our promised tickets didnt show up :cry .... ohhhh well ne_nau.gif

Thanks for sharing I love the ones that look like clouds surrounding the plane, they look awesome thumb.gif ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Great shots, Nikolai! I'm planning on getting to a few airshows this year, and seeing your shots is certainly making me impatient!
    headscratch.gif I've never seen an E2C with props like that. Is that just a west coast thing? bsvirginian

I hadn't seen those either, but a little Googling found that they are an upgrade which started rolling out a couple of years ago. It's the NP2000 program - the 8 bladed props give increased performance and reduced maintenance. Eventually, all the E-2Cs will have them installed.
  • Options
    fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Great shots!
    Great pictures!

You might have mentioned what lens you used and I overlooked it... but what lens did you use? I will be shooting an airshow in June (for my employer) and plan to rent an 80-400 or something similar.

frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Heyya Skip,
    Skippy wrote:
    Glad you got to go to the Airshow Nik, this lot look great clap.gif
    They just had a big one here too, but our promised tickets didnt show up :cry .... ohhhh well ne_nau.gif

Thanks for sharing I love the ones that look like clouds surrounding the plane, they look awesome thumb.gif ..... Skippy

Thanks! thumb.gif

Bummer about your lost tickets..:-( :cry

Yeah, this vapor/condensation/whatever does look awesome. This is first time I was ever able to catch it, so I'm very glad myself.. mwink.gif

Cheers! beer.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Moose,
    moose135 wrote:
    Great shots, Nikolai! I'm planning on getting to a few airshows this year, and seeing your shots is certainly making me impatient!

Thank you!

Yeah, those are great fun! Only... Each time I forget to bring the chair and the sunblock. Hence, each frigging time my feet hurt and my skin is patched red.
    Oh, yeah, and each time I'm getting my eyes burnt from all that sky staring... despite of rather thick polarized sunglasses and a hat...
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Really Good Stuff Nik.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Frank,
    fmkjr wrote:
    Great pictures!

You might have mentioned what lens you used and I overlooked it... but what lens did you use? I will be shooting an airshow in June (for my employer) and plan to rent an 80-400 or something similar.

frank

Thank you! thumb.gif

Most of the airshots are EF 100-400L IS USM f/4.0-5.6, most are at 400. Very few (like explosion ones) are EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS USM at 70.

"Display" pictures are mostly EF-S 10-22 (hardware) and 70-200 (softwa... I mean, a few candids :-) mwink.gif

I also cranked ISO up to 400 and stepped 100-400 down to f/8 (ISO 160 f/4 for 70-200) to get somewhat sharper pictures. Noise is not really a big deal, but I wanted to make sure I get most of the action, since those things are faaaaaaast. deal.gif

BTW, IS is a *huge* help!

HTH
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2007
    Gary,
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Really Good Stuff Nik.
    Gary

Thanks man! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Great shots Nik!!! I just came back from Blue Angels show, i took over 400 pictures eek7.gif I also got horrible sunburn, but i had a blast!! I can't wait to edit all the pictures and see which 1 of all 400 i like rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Most of the airshots are EF 100-400L IS USM f/4.0-5.6, most are at 400. Very few (like explosion ones) are EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS USM at 70.

I also cranked ISO up to 400 and stepped 100-400 down to f/8 (ISO 160 f/4 for 70-200) to get somewhat sharper pictures. Noise is not really a big deal, but I wanted to make sure I get most of the action, since those things are faaaaaaast. deal.gif

BTW, IS is a *huge* help!

HTH
    Those are a couple of good lenses - I've shot a ton of aviation shots with the 100-400L, with great results. I have the non-IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8, and that works really well also.

I don't know that you really need to bump up to ISO 400, especially if you have a nice bright day. I shoot a lot of airliners, and even when shooting military at airshows, I typically shoot in Av at f/7.1 or f/8 and ISO 100, and unless there's cloud cover, that usually gives me a shutter speed in the 1/500 range. That should be plenty fast enough, since you should be panning along to keep them in the frame before you shoot.

Here's an example from last summer, when the Tomcat was making it's farewell visit to Long Island. They're making a pass at about 300 + knots. I shot this at ISO 100, f/9.0 and 1/400.

85623665-L.jpg