LPS#3 Irregular: Linens from the Outlet

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited April 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
***link fixed***
My latest interpretation of "Irregular" ...comments welcome. This is an interesting challenge theme for sure!

142339946-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    HAHAHAHA! I was wondering when someone was going to use "irregular" like that. Nice photo and nice conveyance of "irregular". :D
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Wow, I love this picture, the exposure looks good and the conversion is awesome. Beautiful.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    Wow, I love this picture, the exposure looks good and the conversion is awesome. Beautiful.
    thank you guys! glad the interpretation wasn't completely obscure!

I have worked a lot on the face shadows (it was almost completely backlit...had the flash inside the bathroom, and he's stepping out of it) so I'm glad I left them alone at a good spot. thanks for the feedback!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 7, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    HAHAHAHA! I was wondering when someone was going to use "irregular" like that. Nice photo and nice conveyance of "irregular". :D

thanks for the comments! its been floating in my head for a few days, just waiting for the right moment....lol
    Canon 5D MkI
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2007
    can't get the connection
    headscratch.gif Not being a parent, looking at the picture, lovely child – absolutely, but what has it to do with the theme? I am at a total loss here.
    This is not actually meant as a critique. I am truly wondering.headscratch.gif
    Robert
    edited April 7, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    headscratch.gif Not being a parent, looking at the picture, lovely child – absolutely, but what has it to do with the theme? I am at a total loss here.
    This is not actually meant as a critique. I am truly wondering.headscratch.gif
    In the States we have stores that sell "irregulars" (items with slight flaws) at a substantial discount from what they would normally at regular retail store. To indicate that the items are irregular the tags would either have a small slit cut into them, or they would have the brand name crossed off like the towel in the picture.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    I *finally* got it. LMAO!

Amazing shot.. I just love it. I like how you can see your son, but the towel is what stands out.

Can't believe it took me so long. *blush*
    edited April 8, 2007
    Thanks, no wonder I couldn’t figure that one out. I did notice the label. Thought it was an attempt to hide the brand name. I guess you got to know that to get the connection. Nice shot.
    Robert
    edited April 8, 2007
    I *finally* got it. LMAO!

Amazing shot.. I just love it. I like how you can see your son, but the towel is what stands out.

Can't believe it took me so long. *blush*

well, it is definitely subtle....:D and i hope even if irregular doesn't hit the viewer over the head, he does look somewhat picturesque...(although I am obviously biased :)

glad you like it!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    I'm still not sure I see the irregular, but I really like this shot. Very nice B&W conversion.
    Chris
    edited April 10, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I'm still not sure I see the irregular, but I really like this shot. Very nice B&W conversion.

Men don't shop at 'outlets' as much as women do, but the interpretation does seem to be going over a lot of people's heads.

Have you ever bought something from Filene's or TJ Maxx that has a label cut off or marked through? That's what this image is about.

But if i have to keep explaining it, maybe the problem is the image's and not the viewer's?

Here's an edited version, does this say picturesque more than the image with the "irregular" label says irregular???

141788631-L-1.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 10, 2007
    Just a thought: take a look at the judge's list and see how many men there are versus women and then decide? Or caption the photo so as not to leave any doubt in anyone's mind? headscratch.gif

But then your son is quite picturesque. :D

I thought the irregular/label idea was rather clever.
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    hi lynne
    I don't know...I really liked your take on irregular. I think it got the idea across and was a beautiful pic to boot. Of course I AM a woman, and one who lived next to a mini capital of outlets (Lancaster, PA). Have you checked? Are the judges predominantly male or female? :)

I, like many, have read definitions of picturesque since this contest began, and although accordingly a beautiful pic of your son should qualify we just can't be sure of what the judges will be thinking. headscratch.gif
    edited April 10, 2007
    hee
    lol rolleyes1.gif richtersl and I did NOT consult each other before posting
    edited April 10, 2007
    Lmao!
    lol rolleyes1.gif richtersl and I did NOT consult each other before posting
    Nope that we didn't! :giggle
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    I'm a Guy, and I got it right away...
    I wouldn't underestimate the things guys are aware of... any way I love the shot either way... the only question is... I don't see the label? am I missing something or just blind? It would be better as irregular if the label were visable...

Winston
    edited April 10, 2007
    I wouldn't underestimate the things guys are aware of... any way I love the shot either way... the only question is... I don't see the label? am I missing something or just blind? It would be better as irregular if the label were visable...

Winston
    Thanks Winston, Amy and Linda for your feedbackclap.gif , I think I am going to leave it as is!!! :)

Winston, I cloned out the label in the second one entirely, so as to underscore a "pictureseque" interpretation...check the OP in this thread for the image I entered re: Irregular.

But linda is on to something...the title. apparently "Linens from the Outlet" isn't cutting it. any votes for:
    "Check the Label"
    "Items can not be resold"
    "Seconds and Slight Irregulars" (ignoring Shay's request to omit the theme from titles)

or "A Manufacturer's Mulligan" (HA just kidding....well, maybe not.)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    "Seconds" is the term I know for goods not up to new quality. I am male, and I certainly have bought discount goods sold as seconds (I got a great Gortex jacket that way). This thread is the first place I had heard them called "Irregulars." Now that you say it, I realize that goods often become seconds because of some irregularity in the manufacturing (that was the story behind my jacket), so "Irregulars" makes sense. However, your shot doesn't actually tell that story; rather it relies on the viewer to know it. In that sense it comes precariously close to telling its story solely through the title which is what Shay warned us about in the OP for the entry thread.

Sadly, I don't have any real advice. It's a great shot one way or the other. The composition with the face and the lines in the towel is wonderful. Themes aside I think removing the tag makes it a better photo.
    edited April 10, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    In that sense it comes precariously close to telling its story solely through the title which is what Shay warned us about in the OP for the entry thread.

you may be right, that is certainly the question I was getting at. It seems to ride the subjective fence quite squarely, which isn't always a bad thing, just risky.
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Themes aside I think removing the tag makes it a better photo.
    Yep, for the purposes of parenthood, the tag removed entirely is the keeper, for sure! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 10, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Men don't shop at 'outlets' as much as women do, but the interpretation does seem to be going over a lot of people's heads.

Yep, I do understand irregulars, but like VisualXpressions, I just don't see the tag... can you describe where in the frame it is? (Or am I just hopelessly blind!)
    Chris
    edited April 10, 2007
    your titles
    things that make you go 'hmmm,' winston and chris... :)

but anyways, lynne, it bothered me, too, during the last contest that so many of us were using 'humble' and 'stately' in our titles to explain the pictures...so much so that my daughter and I, apropos of nothing, laughingly took to inserting the two words willy nilly into our everyday conversation for some days to come (no offense intended, anyone)

it, however, did seem appropriate to use the words in some instances (like when vandana used an actual quote containing the word 'humble')

with that thinking, since towels such as these are actually called 'irregulars' I feel you could and should be forgiven for using the word in the title...my very long-winded way of telling you that I really like the title: 'seconds and slight irregulars' ...especially with the word 'slight' in there, just the way you may find the items advertised nod.gif
    edited April 10, 2007
    but...
    ...I would still check to see how many judges are male, and maybe how many are from the states:)
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Yep, I do understand irregulars, but like VisualXpressions, I just don't see the tag... can you describe where in the frame it is? (Or am I just hopelessly blind!)
    She edited it out, so the tag is no longer visible anywhere (even in the original post, the tag is gone).
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
    edited April 10, 2007
    ChuckWC wrote:
    She edited it out, so the tag is no longer visible anywhere (even in the original post, the tag is gone).
    Got it, thanks.thumb.gif I must have been too slow to see the original.
    Chris
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 10, 2007
    FWIW ~ the tag is the only cue to irregularity. I liked it IN the pic. It stood out with the black line and really drew the eye from what is a wonderful image of your son. Would I leave it in for any reason other than the theme? No. But this is about the theme. With it in, the image needs no cheeky title leading the viewer toward the concept. IMHO that's a good thing. I don't think the image works as picturesque, at least not by definition.
    edited April 10, 2007
    I don’t recall that you have to specify the title when you enter the picture. So by leaving the tag on you could just leave it up to the judges to decide which, if not both themes apply in their eyes.

I do think though that you should have kept the original picture in your first post so that people can actually see the difference and judge by that rather than by something they are having explained to them.
    Robert
    edited April 10, 2007
    that's weird guys (Chuck and Robert) I still see the tag in her original post...there must be some difference between our computers???
    edited April 10, 2007
    that's weird guys (Chuck and Robert) I still see the tag in her original post...there must be some difference between our computers???
    It's probably in your browser's cache. If you clear your cache and reload, I bet it will go away.
    Chris
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Well, Lynne changed the original post before I had a chance to comment. I totally understand the concept of the 'irregulars' in linens (hey! I'm a woman, aren't I???) But when I looked at your photo the first time, I was so awestruck by your sons' gorgeous eyelashes and the overall scene that I totally missed the black mark through the label. Then I read your comment about it and went back, and once again I was blown away by the shot in general and missed it again! Good grief! Finally.....I saw it. It just wasn't quite noticeable enough to compete with the strong image and it just seemed to get 'lost'. I didn't comment because I wanted to think about how you could make it more noticeable. So you've already solved the delima and I can quit fretting over it! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Really nice image, Lynne, and why do boys have all the long eyelashes anyway??? :saurora
    edited April 10, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    I don’t recall that you have to specify the title when you enter the picture. So by leaving the tag on you could just leave it up to the judges to decide which, if not both themes apply in their eyes.

I do think though that you should have kept the original picture in your first post so that people can actually see the difference and judge by that rather than by something they are having explained to them.

That was completely my error, I accidentally replaced the wrong image. The link should be fixed now. My apologies! Tag is in first, cloned out in 2nd.
    Canon 5D MkI