>>> LPS#3 Feedback Thread

13»

Comments

• trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    I've been critiqued by a pro!!
    The best i could hope for on my entry. There was not enough snow on the ground to even scoop som up, all other angles had sidewalk and such. I took 100 shots to get that one try. And it was all worth it.

On to the challenge 4.

Thanks everyone for the challenge..
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    On Judges Communication
    Thanks Andy,

I think you did a professional job, given that all judges have bias as do photographers and viewers.

As to Cloud Dancer's Storm, my entry - its like 'Out, Out Damned Spot...' regarding that tree. Guess I should not have let the cold wind going along with the whipping clouds stop me from going 'down the slippery slope' to completely let the shot flow - but then I would have missed the golden foreground.

I liked the completeness of your review ~ all in one chunk, all photos considered, a comprehensive illustration of your position. WELL DONE!

May this shining example stir other LPS judges to perform at the same standard - such activity will clearly bring LPS well above the standards of perhaps even juried shows _simply because EACH judge REALLY tries to effectively communicate with the aspring photographer_ this sort of thing truly makes a photog contest!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Congrats to the semi-finalists. And, thanks to everyone who has critiqued or commented on the entries. It is nice to know that a couple of people liked my entry, and it is also helpful to know why others did not. I really appreciate the feedback. If I find the time....I will post my own top ten as well.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Thanking Andy
    I forgot to mention that I was thrilled to be compared to any artist/photographer, or even be mentioned in the same sentence....or some such thing.

I googled him that very night!!! I love his work.

So, you gave me a gift that you might not have known you were giving: hours more enjoyment learning another person's work.

I had seen a very few things of his before, but not made note of who he was/is...............now I can look for more information and pictures.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Wow...thanx for the critiques.

This helps me a lot more than not knowing why my image was not chosen. Also, the more important part is knowing why a particular image was chosen.

Thanx and Thanx again!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    3 - bgaras2001 - all shook up
    Great photo. This was in my top ten. Love the color and composition...

***mod edit - please don't quote the entirety of these looooooong posts, folks!***

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to critique all the entries!!

I will just be moooving along!

Maureen
    rolleyes1.gif
  • explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    43 - chertioga - life-lines
    I don't get it.
    the black lines i thought were pretty irregular. and it all looked like painted, so... wow. irregular and picturesque.
    black lines are tree branches, they have life in them.
    they also look complicated and intertwined, like human lifelines.
    life-lines.
    was all very obvious to me :).
    but a romanian saying goes "if two say you're drunk, you'd better go to sleep". :)
    thanks for spending time on feedback, guys. it makes the whole thing much more exciting. hope you'll keep going!
    cheers,
    c
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
  • klphotoklphoto Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    As many have said, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the feedback!! I went back and edited my photo as andy and shay said and the improved contrast makes it even better. Its tough to write in and keep up to date with everything because I am traveling, but it has been great to see threads when I can. Thanks again and congrats to everyone!

-Kyle
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Thank you to all the judges for the excellent feedback! thumb.gif

I know how much work it is to narrow down the 10 best and then to critique them all.

Last year I entered our local county fair for the first time. They had a "judges walk-through" listed on the calendar and I thought that was when the judges judged the display photos. After the fact I found out that was when you could get feedback on your photos from the judges. This year I will be prepared and be there that night! Feedback/critique from respected professionals is a very useful tool in improving one's photography skills.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • hugzhugz Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback
    I really do appreciate the comment.
    Even though I am older I am relatively new to the
    whole photography art thing.