LPS#4: Kicking out an idea...

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Its a great idea. A couple thoughts:

It lacks drama. Showing the game at the opening gets across the idea but doesn't tell much of a story. As it is, it comes across more as really neat diorama than a great photograph. I laughed when I got the idea, but there was nothing to really draw me into the shot. I know this problem personally because I am struggling with it in my own photography...

Aside from that, it needs prespective correction.

Very helpful comments... Thank you, much appreciated! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • osoiosoi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Great idea... i think the story of good vs evil would come through more if it was highly produced food instead of the electronics. Maybe use that nasty american "cheese" intsead of the floppies. Also the organic side should all in the natural state, so no bottled stuff... ofcourse these are just my thoughts do with them as you wish...
    edited April 18, 2007
    osoi wrote:
    Great idea... i think the story of good vs evil would come through more if it was highly produced food instead of the electronics. Maybe use that nasty american "cheese" intsead of the floppies. Also the organic side should all in the natural state, so no bottled stuff... ofcourse these are just my thoughts do with them as you wish...

Thank you! I will keep playing:-)
  • dancing-hedgehogdancing-hedgehog Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Awesome idea!
    I personally love the food versus electronics.thumb.gif

I think that processed food is essentially organic matter, and I don't see a problem with the conflict. Most of the time I'd rather get a new toy than go out to a fancy restaurant :D

In my opinion, the darkness is over the top. I was straining to make out the pieces in the shade. I know it helps the shot artistically to have the strawberry & battery pawns face each other, but in a real chess board they would not be adjacent to each other, and my fussy brain had a hard time getting over that (and the lens envy, of course rolleyes1.gif
    Tammy :):
    edited April 18, 2007
    Tammy,
    I personally love the food versus electronics.thumb.gif

I think that processed food is essentially organic matter, and I don't see a problem with the conflict. Most of the time I'd rather get a new toy than go out to a fancy restaurant :D

In my opinion, the darkness is over the top. I was straining to make out the pieces in the shade. I know it helps the shot artistically to have the strawberry & battery pawns face each other, but in a real chess board they would not be adjacent to each other, and my fussy brain had a hard time getting over that (and the lens envy, of course rolleyes1.gif

Thank you for your C&C, appreciate it! thumb.gif
    Check back in a couple of days, I may have another version :-) mwink.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Holy cow, thats a winner! Thank god you're a moderator
    or else I would be in fear! The chances to make the top 10
    list lessen every round when more ppl enter this awesome
    contest. Keep up the good work! thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 18, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Holy cow, thats a winner!
    I honestly think it's way to early for this, but thanks anyway:-) iloveyou.gif
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Thank god you're a moderator
    I'm not, as a matter of fact... mwink.giflol3.gif
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The chances to make the top 10
    list lessen every round when more ppl enter this awesome
    contest.
    Totally agree! Number of players and the level of entries have increased dramatically. I can only imagine what kind of battle will happen at the PQ#20, when the last chance to jump on to this season's bandwagon will be played...

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Considering all the feedback
    and many have nailed down observations...I'll wait till you re-work this awesome idea before I fill your brain with what's in mine rolleyes1.gif....oh, such a scarry thought! Do ya think you could be more creative? Geez. Time for a labotamy.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited April 18, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I honestly think it's way to early for this, but thanks anyway:-) iloveyou.gif

I'm not, as a matter of fact... mwink.giflol3.gif

My bad, I thought u were in charge of the assignment section! scratch.gif
    Just wait until I post my ideas mwink.gifbruce.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 18, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    My bad, I thought u were in charge of the assignment section! scratch.gif
    I am... I just don't have a big red button lol3.gif
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Just wait until I post my ideas mwink.gifbruce.gif
    Looking forward to it :D
    edited April 18, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    and many have nailed down observations...I'll wait till you re-work this awesome idea before I fill your brain with what's in mine rolleyes1.gif....oh, such a scarry thought! Do ya think you could be more creative? Geez. Time for a labotamy.

lol

OK, stay tuned. I hope my cheese plates do not get rotten/eaten in the mean time...
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Hi Nick, Very creative and neat photo. I agree that the containers seem artificial... Right now it seems to be equally organic and artificial. I think that one side should be winning the game. I personally vote for organic :D.
    Jill
    Jill
    edited April 18, 2007
    Jill,
    thanks for stopping by!
    JillG wrote:
    Right now it seems to be equally organic and artificial.

Well, that's kinda my point of mixing them together...headscratch.gif
    edited April 18, 2007
    I know the reading is hard, but did anybody get "Organic" on the milk carton and "Naked" on the juice bottle? ne_nau.gif
    Or it really does not matter that much? headscratch.gif
    edited April 18, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I know the reading is hard, but did anybody get "Organic" on the milk carton and "Naked" on the juice bottle? ne_nau.gif
    No it doesnt matter the image is great at it is!

Just keep doing what you do ... while I'm watching
    you while my challenge ideas are brewing unnoticed
    in the hidden, covered by the mist of secrecy unnoticed
    by my contenders.bruce.gif:D
    ― Edward Weston
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Brilliant!
    I love it!!! IMHO the lighting completely works because it not only sets the mood and makes the "tall guys" standing in the shadows, but it really takes awhile to take it all in. Really made me look, and keep looking, and then saw the swiss and floppies. What an awesome idea that I think is very well executed. Definite winner in my books (but I have to admit that I think I only chose about 3 out of round 3 that made it in the top 10)!!
    edited April 19, 2007
    I love it!!! IMHO the lighting completely works because it not only sets the mood and makes the "tall guys" standing in the shadows, but it really takes awhile to take it all in. Really made me look, and keep looking, and then saw the swiss and floppies. What an awesome idea that I think is very well executed. Definite winner in my books (but I have to admit that I think I only chose about 3 out of round 3 that made it in the top 10)!!

Thank you! Appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nik i will give it to you blunt as i recon you can take it. The shot is absolutely brillient in the idea but it needs some work. I havnt read anyone elses replies as yet but consider you well capable of sorting the lighting out so everything is lit well. Also i see some wierd black background going on. I understand its a draft of sorts but its worth your efforts to work it more.
    edited April 19, 2007
    Gus,
    gus wrote:
    Nik i will give it to you blunt as i recon you can take it. The shot is absolutely brillient in the idea but it needs some work. I havnt read anyone elses replies as yet but consider you well capable of sorting the lighting out so everything is lit well. Also i see some wierd black background going on. I understand its a draft of sorts but its worth your efforts to work it more.

Blunt is what I need, thanks, mate!thumb.gif
    Yes, it was draft, the so BG was off, light was so-so, etc.
    I'm very moved and honored by the number of positive responses thus far, and I *am* working on the next versiondeal.gif
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Excellent idea Nik. I think its interesting reading about people fighting which them to choose and the fact that you used both themes battleing each other! Very cool. I love the pic, my only minor gripe would be on my monitor there is an off black section surrounding the objects and then it goes to complete darkness. I like the complete darkness, if you could get the background completely black it would be pretty much perfect. Not an easy task, the next time you set it up maybe try some light painting with a few shots while your at it. Will still be hard to get the lighting you want, but might be worth a try. Maybe spend more time painting the center of board and less time as you paint your way towards the outsides. Focus with lights on then shoot in total darkness with black sheets hanging around board. Just a thought, best of luck, and a fantastic shot as is!
    Best regards,
    douglas
    edited April 19, 2007
    Douglas,
    douglas wrote:
    Excellent idea Nik. I think its interesting reading about people fighting which them to choose and the fact that you used both themes battleing each other! Very cool. I love the pic, my only minor gripe would be on my monitor there is an off black section surrounding the objects and then it goes to complete darkness. I like the complete darkness, if you could get the background completely black it would be pretty much perfect. Not an easy task, the next time you set it up maybe try some light painting with a few shots while your at it. Will still be hard to get the lighting you want, but might be worth a try. Maybe spend more time painting the center of board and less time as you paint your way towards the outsides. Focus with lights on then shoot in total darkness with black sheets hanging around board. Just a thought, best of luck, and a fantastic shot as is!

Look who's back, haven't heard from you for a while! thumb.gif
    Thank you for your C&C!
    Yeah, I am aware of that BG issue. It was a first draft. Stay tuned, new batch is coming:-)
    edited April 19, 2007
    New versions
    Also drafts, but slightly more prepared ;-)

#1: Tabula Rasa:

144996389-L.jpg

#2: Tough Choice (aka Papa needs a brand new glass):

144996403-L.jpg

#3: Take it or leave it:

144996419-L.jpg

Thoughts, opinions?
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    The background and lighting look great, but i enjoyed your first compilation better, it instantly drew me in and i wanted to interact. Of these 3 the 3rd is my fav.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Of the above three, I also like the third. For consistency, I'd put the strawberries on the cheese squares. I feel all of the versions, including the first, are contest worthy and quite creative.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    #3 if anything, but I think it was better with chess pieces. But the lighting is nice =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I am drawn to the first even though it might not be "enough" for some people. I really like the sense of infinity there (unless you've got REALLY big tables in your house... and a black hole), and the shadows emphasize the bleakness.

Otherwise #3. But it bothers me that there's so much good cheese there, and I'm hungry!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    I love #1 but can't quite see how it fits into the theme.ne_nau.gif

#3 is just OK. Maybe a different "chess move" might add a little more drama to it?

#2 is the one I'm drawn to but it still needs "something". For me it's reminiscent of a Mexican Standoff (minus the guns).
    edited April 19, 2007
    Douglas, Paul, Pyro, Schmooo, Linda - thank you for your timely and very helpful responses! thumb.gifbowdown.gifiloveyou.gif

I guess I need to stop shooting for a while and start thinking again:-) mwink.gif
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Nik,

Your very first one (not the new ones) is my favorite.

There's only two things that bug me about it.

1) the lighting is a little too drastic. I like that the center is "spotlighted" but the edges are just too dark.

2) Seems you're using a wide-angle lens... and the distortion bugs me. I'd love to see you try it with a mid-range or telephoto lens and from a very slightly higher vantage point (just a little bit higher).

It's a GREAT idea, and even if you don't change a thing about the first one you'll be a serious contender for the top 10.

How the HECK did you get the slices of cheese the same size as the floppy disks, or did you just luck out that the block of cheese was already the same size?
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

edited April 19, 2007
    Amy,
    DRabbit wrote:
    Nik,

Your very first one (not the new ones) is my favorite.

There's only two things that bug me about it.

1) the lighting is a little too drastic. I like that the center is "spotlighted" but the edges are just too dark.

2) Seems you're using a wide-angle lens... and the distortion bugs me. I'd love to see you try it with a mid-range or telephoto lens and from a very slightly higher vantage point (just a little bit higher).

It's a GREAT idea, and even if you don't change a thing about the first one you'll be a serious contender for the top 10.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated! thumb.gif
    DRabbit wrote:
    How the HECK did you get the slices of cheese the same size as the floppy disks, or did you just luck out that the block of cheese was already the same size?
    I went to a local deli with the floppy in my hand. The block of Swiss was perfect, with its famous holes inside and the form factor just a few mm larger than the floppy. I asked the guy (who's a friend) to use floppy as a sample and he tuned up the machine to get me exact thickness.

Later, when I was ready for the shoot, I simply trimmed each piece to match the floppy by placing the disk on top of the piece and cutting off everything that was not covered... Took me about 15-20 minutes I think.

Also, I didn't get enough pieces for the whole board (seemed like too much of a waste at the time), so I took multiple shots and blend them in CS3, just like I did with my lame attempt with the shot glasses last time...
    141517876-L.jpg

Granted it was much easier this time since I did not have to deal with the long shadows and transparency issues deal.gif

Oh well, off to more thinking...