How about this one for artificial?

The Oldest Trick In The Book:

145180284-O.jpg

In case you're wondering, this is one picture... :deal :wink :D
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    An interesting idea. I think you can make this work.

Some suggestions:

Go for butterfly lighting which is symmetric.

Add a hair light because you need separation on the dark side.

Pose her so she is direcly facing the camera. The split looks off balance with this pose.

If you can, have her wear a black top on the dark side. I think you really want her wearing something dark on that side to complete the frame of her face.

Oh, and the drop shadow/ blur between the black and white at the top doesn't look right to me.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    It's pretty nice... but i think you can prefect your original idea :D
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    An interesting idea. I think you can make this work.

Some suggestions:

Go for butterfly lighting which is symmetric.

Add a hair light because you need separation on the dark side.

Pose her so she is direcly facing the camera. The split looks off balance with this pose.

If you can, have her wear a black top on the dark side. I think you really want her wearing something dark on that side to complete the frame of her face.

Oh, and the drop shadow/ blur between the black and white at the top doesn't look right to me.

Butterfly: I agree. That was my original intention, but then I get distracted with another idea :bash
    Hair-light: same as above :bash
    Off-balance: agree. It's hard to make it exactly straight.. But, hey, who said it gonna be easy? mwink.gif
    Wear black on the right: nah, I'm going for strapless, night club mode, besides it contrasts better with the black BG
    The top:.headscratch.gif mebbe, yes

Thank you for the straight C&C, appreciate it!thumb.gif
    edited April 20, 2007
    It's pretty nice... but i think you can prefect your original idea :D
    I can... And I may... But I wanted to try something else, too:-)mwink.gif

Thanks!
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    I think it's well executed for what you were trying to accomplish... I'm just not wild about the finished product for some reason. Maybe it's her expression. I think she needs a dress strap showing on her left shoulder, and the left eye seems too dark and not crisp.

Just my 2c.
    Chris
  • Annie222Annie222 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    I was going to try something like this with maybe work clothes and muddy hands, dirty mark on face maybe with one of my children showing the natural side (organic) and the dessed up side (artifical - for a child at least)

Edit - I'll loan you a child if you like (got 4 of em), some days 4 to many!.
    edited April 20, 2007
    Chris,
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I think it's well executed for what you were trying to accomplish... I'm just not wild about the finished product for some reason. Maybe it's her expression. I think she needs a dress strap showing on her left shoulder, and the left eye seems too dark and not crisp.

Just my 2c.

Thanks!
    Yeah, I now see where you and Liquid are going.. Some hint of dress on the right is needed..
    Good thing there's time still:-)
    edited April 20, 2007
    Annie,
    Annie222 wrote:
    I was going to try something like this with maybe work clothes and muddy hands, dirty mark on face maybe with one of my children showing the natural side (organic) and the dessed up side (artifical - for a child at least)

Edit - I'll loan you a child if you like (got 4 of em), some days 4 to many!.
    Thanks for stopping by!
    I think I'll pass on that loan, though :-)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    I think you're on to something with this idea. wings.gif I like it!!

You should get a job as a makeup artist. mwink.gif
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Jus ONE Pic?
    Nikolai wrote:

Thank you for the straight C&C, appreciate it!thumb.gif
    Nik and Liq(uidAir)

You guys rock...

Innovation is the modest theme of your colloquy, while stretching beyond the ridiculous to the sublime.

Nik, you certainly have fertile ideas...

You gonna explain how you did it in ONE picture? Some of us are not as far up the path...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
    edited April 20, 2007
    Linda,
    richtersl wrote:
    I think you're on to something with this idea. wings.gif I like it!!
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    richtersl wrote:
    You should get a job as a makeup artist. mwink.gif
    No, no, no, she actually *is* my MUA.
    And assistant.
    And she models, too. deal.gif
    Sometimes it pays back to have your own kids rolleyes1.gif
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sometimes it pays back to have your own kids rolleyes1.gif

She did a great job on the makeup. You have an excellent assistant.

My kid turns 3 in July. He loves to help but he still need a little practice following instructions (he is a lot like my cat in that respect...) As a result, most of my competition shots are chosen to be things I can work on after his 8pm bedtime. I hope in a few years we will be able to go out shooting together.

That said, I have one idea for this cycle that he can help with We'll see if that comes together.
    edited April 20, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Nik and Liq(uidAir)
    You guys rock...
    Innovation is the modest theme of your colloquy, while stretching beyond the ridiculous to the sublime.
    Nik, you certainly have fertile ideas...
    Thanks, Joe!
    I think Liquid Air and I were tied up enough times to skip the PC talk mwink.gif
    BistiArt wrote:
    You gonna explain how you did it in ONE picture? Some of us are not as far up the path...
    Easy: it's called creative makeup:-) Hence the title.. :D
    edited April 20, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    She did a great job on the makeup. You have an excellent assistant.

My kid turns 3 in July. He loves to help but he still need a little practice following instructions (he is a lot like my cat in that respect...) As a result, most of my competition shots are chosen to be things I can work on after his 8pm bedtime. I hope in a few years we will be able to go out shooting together.

That said, I have one idea for this cycle that he can help with We'll see if that comes together.

Start them while they are still young:-) deal.gif

Can't wait to see what you're gonna come up with! thumb.gif
    edited April 22, 2007
    Version 2
    Fixes:

batterfly light (more symmetrical)
    dress strap added to the "night" side
    hair light added
    no separation line in PP

Same title, same model and same idea, though:-)

The Oldest Trick In The Book II:

145701334-L.jpg

What do you say, yeah or nay? headscratch.gif
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Yea. Very well done.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

What do you say, yeah or nay? headscratch.gif

Bravo! Красивейше сделано! bowdown.gifclap.gifwings.gif

(I hope Babelfish got that right!)
    edited April 22, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    Bravo! Красивейше сделано! bowdown.gifclap.gifwings.gif

(I hope Babelfish got that right!)

Hide! Russians are coming! rolleyes1.gif
    Linda, thank you! thumb.gif
    Yes, babelfish works like a charm:-) iloveyou.gif
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Ooo, I like this new version...well done!!thumb.gif
    edited April 22, 2007
    Ooo, I like this new version...well done!!thumb.gif
    Thank you! thumb.gif
  • AuroraAurora Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    IMHO:

I Love the first....on the left, she looks shy and casual, whereas on the left she looks confident and modern. For me, the second does not impart that "personality". It's more literal, makeup on one side and not the other. I understand the symmetry approach, but think the first one delivers more.

I love the beads and how the transition blends accross the shoulder area in the second. Have you tried softening the transition area on the first?

I find the white to black transition across the top harsh, have you considered croping at the top of the hair?

Great Ideas for LPS#4! thumb.gif
    edited April 22, 2007
    Aurora wrote:
    IMHO:

I Love the first....on the left, she looks shy and casual, whereas on the left she looks confident and modern. For me, the second does not impart that "personality". It's more literal, makeup on one side and not the other. I understand the symmetry approach, but think the first one delivers more.

I love the beads and how the transition blends accross the shoulder area in the second. Have you tried softening the transition area on the first?

I find the white to black transition across the top harsh, have you considered croping at the top of the hair?

Great Ideas for LPS#4! thumb.gif

Thank you very much, appreciate your C&C! thumb.gif

I'm not sure I'm getting the "harshess of the black-to-white transition" comment right. They are physically two different foam boards, they are important part of the whole juxtaposition, IMHO. ne_nau.gif Can you please elaborate on it? thumb.gif TIA!
  • AuroraAurora Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you very much, appreciate your C&C! thumb.gif

I'm not sure I'm getting the "harshess of the black-to-white transition" comment right. They are physically two different foam boards, they are important part of the whole juxtaposition, IMHO. ne_nau.gif Can you please elaborate on it? thumb.gif TIA!

The harsh line distracted me a little, I scrolled down on the screen to cover it, and it eliminated that problem for me...thus the cropping suggestion. :)

I don't think blending for the b&w would help, I agree it would take away from your light vs dark. The simple approach is to crop it out, it gets rid of the distracting line, but you still have your white background on one side and black on the other.

Hope this helps! :D
    edited April 22, 2007
    Aurora wrote:
    The harsh line distracted me a little, I scrolled down on the screen to cover it, and it eliminated that problem for me...thus the cropping suggestion. :)

I don't think blending for the b&w would help, I agree it would take away from your light vs dark. The simple approach is to crop it out, it gets rid of the distracting line, but you still have your white background on one side and black on the other.

Hope this helps! :D

Thank you, I see your point! thumb.gif
    edited April 24, 2007
    Submitted...
    After thinking it over I decided to submit a combined version, mostly based on the v.1.
    Reason: while v.2 was more symmetrical and overall better technically, it lacked the soul, IMHO.

Here's the v.3:

The Oldest Trick In The Book

146459783-O.jpg

EXIF:
    Date Modified 2007-04-23 23:09:16
    Date Taken 2007-04-19..21
    Camera: Canon EOS 30D + EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS USM + PW + Sunpack 555AutoEx
    Exposure Time: 1/250s
    Aperture: f/4.0
    ISO: 100
    Focal Length: 173mm
    Photo Dimensions: 600 x 800
    File Size: 87.91 KB

I'm fairly pleased with the result (which is my primary point in the whole LPS thing anyway mwink.gif ), so as long as I don't get brand new totally brilliant idea I'm gonna stay with this version rolleyes1.gif

I really appreciate everybody's comments and critique, it made me think a lot and I hope, improve a lot. However, at some point one needs to make a decision... :D

And here's the bonus for those who decided to stop by one more time: "The Making Of.." mwink.gif

145697918-L.jpg
  • Annie222Annie222 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Thanks for the making of picutre - it explains it all.

Are you concerned that the entry before yours is similar, not the same but similar ? Im only asking because I thought the doll photo was very simlar to mine and wondered if posting in the forum was giving people ideas that they wouldn't have gotten had I not posted.
    edited April 24, 2007
    Annie222 wrote:
    Thanks for the making of picutre - it explains it all.
    Gald you liked it :-)
    Annie222 wrote:
    Are you concerned that the entry before yours is similar, not the same but similar ? Im only asking because I thought the doll photo was very simlar to mine and wondered if posting in the forum was giving people ideas that they wouldn't have gotten had I not posted.

No, not in the least... I know I did the best I could under the circumstances. Important thing is that I'm satisfied with the result, whether or not it makes top ten in this round does not really matter deal.gif

However, I think things would change a bit in the Semifinals:-) mwink.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Annie222 wrote:

Not to worry Annie. If memory serves, 3 steaming tea pots(or maybe it was two, I haven't gone back to check) were in the top 10 of LPS #1. It would seem that the judges pick each photo on its merits and do not exclude one with a similar theme if they really like it too.

Good luck!!

Virginia

Email
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    And here's the bonus for those who decided to stop by one more time: "The Making Of.." mwink.gif
    Thanks for the "The making of" -- very informative and cool to see, I love your foam board holder mwink.gif

Great choice in combining elements from both shoots to achieve the technical aspects and keep the soul, her mouth says so much in the first and final image.

Your knowledge of the dark side, shines through in the light.

thumb.gif
    edited April 24, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    Thanks for the "The making of" -- very informative and cool to see, I love your foam board holder mwink.gif

Great choice in combining elements from both shoots to achieve the technical aspects and keep the soul, her mouth says so much in the first and final image.

Your knowledge of the dark side, shines through in the light.

thumb.gif

Thank you! thumb.gif
    I thought it would be useful to share the "behind the scenes" look... :-)
    Appreciate your kind words! iloveyou.gif