This competition vs original ideas and such

2»

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    ChuckWC wrote:
    I think there are two groups of people in this competition: those who see it more as a learning experience and less as a competition. So, they're open to helping others out in perfecting their photos and are just enjoying the fun of taking pictures.

On the other hand, those who care more about winning I suspect would be less inclined to share helpful tips. Even without hints/tips, I'm sure people would learn to improve their photography anyway, just by seeing which pictures are picked as the finalists and which are not.

I think another explanation is simply that this thread used to be a bi-weekly challenge, where people posted shots, asked for and gave advice and in general learned from each other, had a good time, improving their creativity and photographic skills... People liked that thread... and those people are still here so it's only natural to treat the new LPS thread like the old challenge thread.

Winston
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    ChuckWC wrote:
    snip...
    I do find it rather curious when I read people giving very detailed advice on how to vastly improve a photo (crop it this way, lighten the left half, show more DOF, etc.) In giving such specific advice, I can't help but wonder who then is really creating the winning shot? The original poster or the one with all the expertise?
    snip...

Those who share the expertise are not afraid to be surpassed. They know very well that the better the competition, more they improve themselves.

And again, who is really creating the shot is the one pressing the shutter...
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2007

I think another explanation is simply that this thread used to be a bi-weekly challenge, where people posted shots, asked for and gave advice and in general learned from each other, had a good time, improving their creativity and photographic skills... People liked that thread... and those people are still here so it's only natural to treat the new LPS thread like the old challenge thread.

Winston
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that (I'm a relatively new Dgrinner... :D ) That does make sense, although I'm guessing the stakes weren't quite as high in those challenge threads.
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    ChuckWC wrote:
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that (I'm a relatively new Dgrinner... :D ) That does make sense, although I'm guessing the stakes weren't quite as high in those challenge threads.

If you think about it, the stakes are not really that high in the qualifying rounds either. The top ten shots from each round get exactly the same reward: a chance at the semi-final. A suggestion which improves one photograph to top 10 category only hurts you if you would have been #10. It doesn't hurt you at all to be dropped from slot #8 to slot #9. Beyond that, over the course of the year there will be 200 slots in the semis given out which is enough for everyone who has entered the competition so far to get one or two.

For me, I have already qualified in round #1 so entering the other rounds is more about testing myself than winning. As I see it, improving the standards in rounds 2-5 is about making sure I am in the right frame of mind come the semis.
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Charlie,

Again, I am soooooo sorry. I want it well known that I did not (and still do not) think that you copied my idea. My concern was that someone might think I had done that to you. Next time I have a concern, I will be much smarter in my approach. I am sincerely sorry.

I've PM'd you Tracey, but just to confirm for public consumption, this is no longer an issue, any problem if it ever existed is resolved and all's good.

Charlie
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    sunione wrote:
    Not trying to burst your bubble but.....UMMM....can you be sure that others who are in competition with you are going to express an opinion that might mean you would beat their entry? Also, if others 'help you on your creative process', then whose work is it?

Exactly my sentiments as I expressed in the earlier part of this thread...I do NOT ask my competitors for their opinion, I go outside of the box to a dis-attached person to discuss and review my work with them, after all it is a COMPETITION, when I finally post my work, I am satisfied with what I saw in my minds eye and hopefully it makes the cut... !!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    This is what I personally love about dgrin: it shows that it is in fact possible to combine a rather fierce competition with a friendly, home-like atmosphere.

As to sharing tips: I haven't seen a single example where those tips actually helped any entry to make it from #100 to #1. Maybe from #5 to #3. And definitely from #60 to #30. But even if it was the case of #11 to #10, it only means it was a tossup and really close call anyways.

As LiquidAir said, those who are not afraid to share are not afraid to lose. I'd say, it cuts both ways, and the opposite holds true, too. I didn't come here to be afraid. I'm here to grow and help others to grow, too, because together we can grow stronger and faster. Yes, I do like to win, but I'd hate to win against the snapshots that populate the 50+ range, now THAT would be really unfair. Winning over other truly great entries gives me so much better feeling as opposed to just the feeling of a possibility of getting some monetary award. The latter is very nice and it does spice things up quite a bit, but it's not the ultimate goal, not for me personally that is not.

I don't hold any grudge against those who enter Monday 12:00:59 am, whatever their reasons may be. But I don't want to be forced into that mode either. I want it to be my sole decision, whether to show the work in progress urbi et orbi or to keep it to myself until the last possible moment. Thus far I can see: sharing early helped, both me and other people. It didn't help to win, but it helped to produce a better image, which, again, is THE goal (for me). You simply won't get this kind of attention to every little detail in any other forum, including the WP. How's that hurting?

"Conventional challenges..." Who cares? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Feedback
    Conventional contests.....pretty much zip, other than what a few select judges have to say after the fact. That's the entire point.....hindsight, afterwards, as in .....later. Like one would know how to alter the image, improve it, make it stand out, or trash the idea. You certainly don't get that from contest results...in fact, I fail to see how the results help you with your photography one iota. The results leave you scratching your head and thinking, "well, I guess it wasn't good enough or what they were looking for".

On the other hand, here, in these forums, the process of improvement occurs each time someone graciously offers their suggestions and insights. Where on the planet do you get that kind of help? Here, we put up our work for the world to see.mwink.gif

I enjoy the method of these challenges. You can post ideas and photos, your peers take the time to direct you, and you grow (as painful as it is). I really think you try HARDER and apply your better efforts because it's not just about the contest results. It's really about doing your best and finding out how your peers recognize whether you have or not. The greatest benefit of this process...is they are candid..will tell you so, making you try all the harder.

It's really about participation. By participating you gain the greatest skills...all from feedback.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    In real life competition, with the big bucks...

I wanted to do things differently, to reimagine photo contests, if you will. Art builds on what has come before. Having more interaction in the creative process should move the contestants skills up faster than if all were working in isolation.

I also want contestants to walk away at the end of the year with vastly improved skills , peer contacts, and mental toughness of the sort that they could go in to business for themselves if they so desired.

So it's more than just a contest in a way, and I hope, more beneficial too.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited April 27, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    I feel that all submissions in any contest should be anonymous. If I were a judge, which I’m not, I would want it that way. Because, then no one could have any question about a judge favoring someone they know, a buddy, over another submission.

I have been involved in contests for a long time and have tried everything. The anonymous thing only works in theory, and actually serves to stifle cooperation as everyone goes into top secret mode. Critiques are less targeted because you may not know who the submission is from. And people style can many times be spotted anyway.

So in this contest, I made the direction to be full transparency in who was submitting the work. If you are good enough to generate a following of fans, that has to count for something too. In the photography world, reputation is important. And so it will be in the contest too, because names go with the pictures, and always will.

That said, when I judge, I put the pictures in one spot, and just decide based on the photo. Sometimes I am surprised at what name goes with my top 10 picks, and sometimes I am not. And I have no problem not picking a favorite photographer if their photo doesn't do it for me.

As a judge, I am putting myself in the shoes of the art director who is trying to find the 10 photos for my magazine spread that best illustrate the theme of the article. Magazines make money only if they sell, and they won't sell if the photos are bad or not illustrative. So the art director (the judge) has to pick what they think will sell the most magazines, not who their friends are...if you follow the analogy.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited April 27, 2007
    sunione wrote:
    Charlie
    If anyone thinks that you stole an idea that's quite petty. The theme is bound to trigger similar ideas. Try to let it "roll off". rolleyes1.gifIn any case anyone who fears being copied ought to hold there entry until Sunday evening.

I was pretty surprised when the entries started to come online for LPS#4, as my idea was similar to others already posted. However I did not change my plan. I get my ideas after I see what the themes are and before I look at any other entries so as not to be influenced.

Hopefully next year the rule will be changed to keep entries private until judging ends.

Two things

If someone can do a picture better than the "original" contestant who posted it first, then good for them. There is no truly original photography, it has all been done before by someone. What we care about is who can do it the best, the most clever, the most unexpected, etc. It is usually hard to do, but if someone really can do it better than you, then you need to snap out of it and turn around and do it better than them...if you can. Or, try doing something from the start that is not so trivially easy to duplicate and be done better in the first place.

Secondly, Next year will not see private entries or anything anonymous. Never.
  • sunionesunione Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    LEARNING CONTESTS on Dgrin
    I wanted to do things differently, to reimagine photo contests, if you will. Art builds on what has come before. Having more interaction in the creative process should move the contestants skills up faster than if all were working in isolation.

I also want contestants to walk away at the end of the year with vastly improved skills , peer contacts, and mental toughness of the sort that they could go in to business for themselves if they so desired.

So it's more than just a contest in a way, and I hope, more beneficial too.
    All of your hard work is greatly appreciated. To everyone that is contributing their time to the success of LPS: MEGA KUDOS!clap.gifclapclap.gif

I got the impression that LPS was going to be THE ELITE contest on-line for photographers and I believe it can acheive that. But why not have plain learning contests ALSO?

They could have level designations such as : "Starter", "Intermediate" and "Advanced"? Or B, A, AA, AAA and PRO. In these week long or two week long contests, there could be rules about how the entrant has to move up to the next level after a certain success at the level the're on. Anyone could enter the higher levels at anytime but in the starter levels they could be assured of a chance to be competitive and not worry about being "over their head". Pre entry discussion and feedback would be ENCOURAGED.

As I said before, I am not interested in being ANNONYMOUS but I can understand that there are some who would be more comfortable in the beginning. Could we have a poll to see how many would like more types of contests?

LPS would continue to be open to everyone but with slightly different rules that suit some here who are asking for the more traditional type of photo contest?? Just some thoughts.

Hoping I don't get slammed for expressing my ideas.
    Suni R
    http://artbysuni.smugmug.com/

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIGHT"
  • sunionesunione Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Two things

Secondly, Next year will not see private entries or anything anonymous. Never.

Didn't see this until I finished composing my last message.

I will consider this topic CLOSED......
    Suni R
    http://artbysuni.smugmug.com/

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIGHT"
    edited April 27, 2007
    sunione wrote:
    All of your hard work is greatly appreciated. To everyone that is contributing their time to the success of LPS: MEGA KUDOS!clap.gifclapclap.gif

I got the impression that LPS was going to be THE ELITE contest on-line for photographers and I believe it can acheive that. But why not have plain learning contests ALSO?

They could have level designations such as : "Starter", "Intermediate" and "Advanced"? Or B, A, AA, AAA and PRO. In these week long or two week long contests, there could be rules about how the entrant has to move up to the next level after a certain success at the level the're on. Anyone could enter the higher levels at anytime but in the starter levels they could be assured of a chance to be competitive and not worry about being "over their head". Pre entry discussion and feedback would be ENCOURAGED.

As I said before, I am not interested in being ANNONYMOUS but I can understand that there are some who would be more comfortable in the beginning. Could we have a poll to see how many would like more types of contests?

LPS would continue to be open to everyone but with slightly different rules that suit some here who are asking for the more traditional type of photo contest?? Just some thoughts.

Hoping I don't get slammed for expressing my ideas.
    Well, the forum name was changed to Contests and Challenges at the beginning of the contest. So in the future, I do see a split happening. But we have to get there via transition. So stay tuned, we will be building and growing as time goes on and the membership grows in skills and talent!
    edited April 27, 2007
    sunione wrote:
    Didn't see this until I finished composing my last message.

I will consider this topic CLOSED......
    For anonymous and private entries yes, as to your other points, I just made a post on that :D
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I like to think that in the world of art, good art just keeps on breeding good art.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I like to think that in the world of art, good art just keeps on breeding good art.

I would like to think the same, but there are still those that do not have "open" minds...but hey that is life.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Creative Stuff
    Seeing other work...

Belonging to a camera club, i watch judging, listen to rumbles of members, and submit by name, title, and image.

Judging seems to be quite variable; our last guy scored on the same scale, but was much tougher on individual scores. So - if you were shooting for highest annual, you might be annoyed.

But this judge really had something creative to say - both positive and negative - about each entry. He tends to be quite thorough....

However, in this club environment, we do not have the innovative stuff in out front and public like LPS. Instead, the innovative stuff occurs among friends behind closed doors. So, if you friend list is limited, so is your input.

At LPS, you have such a range of photographers that some of the initial ideas really rock. For me, its this range and some of the out-of-box shots I get to see which stir my own creative juices and lead me into fields which simply might not occur in the club and which will simply make me a better photographer.

As Shay points out ~ You gotta commercial job, You innovate and create to do the very best! After all - You Want 'Em to Ask You Back!

So, we get some real creative stuff in LPS

{{{HALLELUJAH!!!}}}
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I have had the opportunity to adminitster several large regional photography contests.

I have been a judge for several as well.

The contests I judged ahd annonymous entries, but I am very active in the photography community here at home. I have met most serious shooters in the area, and have went shooting with lots of them.

I have had the good fortune of becoming familiar with many of them to the point that I recognise their work.

In the end, a judge will look at each work and judge it on it's merits.

These contests on Dgrin are nearly unique in the world as far as I can tell. You have a chance to discuss your entry, see the competition, seek advise and revise your entry and often get feedback on why you did or did not win.

In most contests, you shoot on your own. Decide what to enter on your own (with no idea what level of competition there will be). Wait for the results. Pick up your prints (and winnings if there are any). Thats it.

No explanation of how you did. No feedback. No advice on how to do better.

I am always grateful for the contests and challenges here. I often look, but rarely enter (there is never enough time in life)but I almost always vote and I am amazed by the quality of the entries.

Participating in these contests to your fullest WILL elevate your work to a higher level.

Thanks again Smugmug and Dgrin leaders for making it happen.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    One of the things I love most about Digital Grin is that I've never been made to feel like I had to categorize my abilities as a photographer. I've felt welcome in every forum I've posted in and never been too intimidated to post my photos, even in the contests, without struggling over whether or not I was good enough to participate. And never had to decide which forums were appropriate for someone of MY skill level.

No, I'm not a pro, AAA, or even a B, but I LOVE photography. Where else can you go to ask for a critique and get responses from people who range in skill levels from experienced and talented amateurs to professional photographers. And what more could you ask for than to be a part of such an open community that even the pros will offer their advice on how you can improve your potential contest submission.

You should also think about it this way; hundreds of people take advantage of this site every day to share their love of photography and sharpen their skills, only a tiny percentage of those people will actually walk away with any winnings from the contest. So whatever you decide to do in the future, please don't allow the level of competition to become so great as to change the atmosphere of this community from an open sharing of knowledge and creative ideas to a dog-eat-dog competitive environment. I'll know when I'm not welcome here the day I have to try and decide whether my skill level is good enough for me to participate in some of the forums.

I also like the format for posting to the contests. It allows those who aren't afraid of someone building on their ideas to post immediately, and those who are to post at the last minute. Personally, if I ever come up with an idea so good that someone else copies it in the Digital Grin Forum contest, I'm going to celebrate!

Just my 2 'bobs', and thanks for listening.
    edited April 28, 2007
    AttaBoy Girl!
    Nikolai wrote:
    This is what I personally love about dgrin: it shows that it is in fact possible to combine a rather fierce competition with a friendly, home-like atmosphere.

"Conventional challenges..." Who cares? mwink.gif

Johnny Cash once sang, "AttaBoy Girl!"

Seriously, Nik, this hits the nail squarely on the head.

Internacine fights in camera clubs can become less than productive.

But LPS, due to its international character just might be able to avoid that sort of reaction.

Kudos
    Joe

[/FONT]
  • intentional_noiseintentional_noise Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Well, nice to see that some agree with what I was attempting to say.

Shay, I appreciate your visual but from someone who has no desire to be big into the forum scene, I don't have the time nor the inclination, just happy to take shots if lucky and peruse when I can - from the outside looking in - and comparing to the advert lead in - the bitching - ill will

it is becoming a forum competition

which is fine - the quality of pics won't suffer

but it is still a forum competition
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 29, 2007
    it is becoming a forum competition

which is fine - the quality of pics won't suffer

but it is still a forum competition
    Yes, it's a forum competition, you have to register to play. Other than that, I don't know what you're implying.
    ne_nau.gif

It's my job as the mod of this forum to follow this thread, but I must admit: I still have no idea what you mean. I can't figure out if this is a constructive critiscism (in which case I'd like to process it), or if this has just become a "venting" thread for all you competitors.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• osoiosoi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    sunione wrote:
    prefer that all entries be kept from public viewing until after each contest ends and judging is complete.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Posting your own work just a few hours prior to the deadline (seriously, no one is capable of duplicating some serious project under such a timeframe
    Ok so here is my 2 cents. Padu and I had the same idea, neither of saw each other's photo till Padu posted for suggestions and I entered mine. I am sure some people who didnt look at my exif think I stole my idea from Padu but the fact is
    There is no truly original photography, it has all been done before by someone.
    so it dosent matter when you post, there is always the possibility that someone has come up with the same idea.
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Osoi, FWIT, I didn't think you and Padu had the same idea. or that either one of you "borrowed" from the other. :D
    Jill
    Jill
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 1, 2007
    osoi wrote:
    possibility that someone has come up with the same idea.
    Possibility isn't a strong enough word. Someone, somewhere has taken a photo of a dandelion, or a tulip, or even your baby brother.

Seriously folks, does anyone agree with me that it might be better to drop this finger-pointing discussion and go focus on photography?
    headscratch.gif

I'm supposed to be the one doing all the worrying in this forum.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Seriously folks, does anyone agree with me that it might be better to drop this finger-pointing discussion and go focus on photography?
    headscratch.gif

Yes.

Virginia

Email
  • osoiosoi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Possibility isn't a strong enough word. Someone, somewhere has taken a photo of a dandelion, or a tulip, or even your baby brother.

headscratch.gif

I'm supposed to be the one doing all the worrying in this forum.

Doc you are right... And I'm sorry if you were confused by what i said... It doesnt matter if people have the same idea, its the photo that matters.
    edited May 1, 2007
    A Rose by Any Other Name...
    osoi wrote:
    ...its the photo that matters.

Osoi, Congratulation are in order – Off with Their Heads is simply superb!

At a glance, I knew this image was captivating. I found myself playing with additional imagery it created in my own head…

I love the blood drop but wonder why it is not perhaps silver, indicating grey matter from the temporal lobe? Medieval times certainly made for abrupt ends to some careers; simply disagree with Henry VIII…

I find this sort of allegory present in the Bisti Badlands as well. Surreal hoodoos, cloud formations, ancient rainforests – all lead to emotional and intellectual imagery well beyond what today's simple rocks seem to say.

Well done and kudos on your rose – its one of the most elegant images this fascinating contest has yet produced!
    Joe

[/FONT]