Chal 32 ginger, comments please

2»

Comments

• Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    15566826-M.jpg

I really like this one.. Very simple yet interesting. Like it was said before more DOF would make it a better shot..
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    Just woke up. I stay up most of the night putting this stuff together...

We are under cloud cover right now, not dark, but not many shadows.

Don't think I can do much reshooting of abstracts, darn, darn.....may try.

ginger (I love them personally, they are my favorite type shot.)

It wouldn't hurt to go try, but leaving the dogs, besides there could be a better option: sleep or shooting flat colors downtown. Sleep sounds very good. It was after 4 when I went to bed. I wouldn't be up now, but the dogs finally won.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Sand Woman 2/9/2005 Shades of brown
    15616682-L.jpg

I love this. And it is not OOF, it is wet from pouring rain! All of my photos have this strange "wet" look. I used two different lenses, so it wasn't the lens.

I was trying to get abstracts.........and it ain't easy in the pouring rain, there aren't many, plus the tide was way out, etc. It was comeing in as I was on my way out, so I tried some more abstracts, particularly in this shot, of the water running into the ocean, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I didn't see that this was in the shape of a person until I got back in the car. I had shot it vertically, horizontally, with a bit of water, with no water as above. I thought I was just shooting water from a tidal pool going towards the ocean, this is what I got. I am more of an editor than a photographer.rolleyes1.gif

15616683-L.jpg

Yes, children everywhere, there really is a sandwoman. Sometimes, during the day, she walks the beaches in the rain. She waved at me, can you see that?

ginger
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    Blown Sand 2/9/2005
    15616677-L.jpg

Barren Beach In The Rain 2/9/2005
    It was brown, is now sepia.......I don't know if we can do that? g

15616678-L.jpg
  • Options
    hqsbudhqsbud Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    Yours are getting better and better! I like the woman with the whole head. That's something I never would have noticed, but it seems so obvious now! I'm wondering if it's a bit out of focus though.

The sepia one is my favorite of yours because of the mood and clarity. I could easily see a large version on a wall. No idea of it's allowed.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 9, 2005
    hqsbud wrote:
    Yours are getting better and better! I like the woman with the whole head. That's something I never would have noticed, but it seems so obvious now! I'm wondering if it's a bit out of focus though.

The sepia one is my favorite of yours because of the mood and clarity. I could easily see a large version on a wall. No idea of it's allowed.

Why not allowed?? - the 20D will shoot sepias as 'in camera' jpgs without any Photoshopping at all. ne_nau.gif Don't believe me before submitting for the challenge check with Andy, but it seems like it should be to me.
    I like your abstracts shots Ginger, especially your Sand Women. thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    Dolphins In Blue Water
    15634773-L.jpg

2/8/2005 I cropped it in a very minor fashion. g
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    Morning Ginger.. your'e up early? I'm up early to go to New York I'm so excited I can't sleep.
    I like your brown series much more than the blue.. I just think the blue is looking a little faded and blah.. the brown is much more interesting to me.. especially the pelicans.. and I like the light and the texture.:D 15521165-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    Pelicans: brown series 2/7/2005
    15646156-L.jpgHi, Lynn, et al, I took these just before sunset on Monday, all the pelicans. Those people are a little bit tired of me, I am waiting here on FedEx today, besides, I wasn't going back for a little while. These are shrimpers, Bubbas as depicted in the "bad" part of the south. There are a few nice ones, but I have to keep my welcome open. No more sunsets from there, ever. But I can take photos of the birds, the people are starting to glare at me though. Birds like me fine.rolleyes1.gif g

15646155-L.jpg

15646158-L.jpg
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

15646155-L.jpg

WOW
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    15646156-L.jpgHi, Lynn, et al, I took these just before sunset on Monday, all the pelicans. Those people are a little bit tired of me, I am waiting here on FedEx today, besides, I wasn't going back for a little while. These are shrimpers, Bubbas as depicted in the "bad" part of the south. There are a few nice ones, but I have to keep my welcome open. No more sunsets from there, ever. But I can take photos of the birds, the people are starting to glare at me though. Birds like me fine.rolleyes1.gif g

15646155-S.jpg

15646158-S.jpg

Hi Ginger,
    I think I like this first pelican better than the first one you posted. This one doesn't have any other pelican bodies in it.

I also like the close up of the face. He has great eyes!

I agree with Lynn, I like the browns better than the blues. They have much greater impact.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2005
    Thanks, Snappy, I am glad I took so many the other night. My 300 mm lens came earlier than I thought it would. I have been playing with it in the backyard.

I will post dog parts sometime this evening, if things don't get too crazy.

The lens will take some time getting used to. It is heavy, I thought "oh my god, Andy had a point about wt", but using it, the weight is not noticeable, to me.
    Carrying it will be a different story.

I had to come back in and read the instruction book to get all the settings just right.

Anyway, glad I got some usable pelicans the other night. I am sure I will go back there, but every place I go changes. I really want some more abstracts. Some I really like where the integrity of the focus cannot be questioned.

Thanks, Bryan, too. Thanks everyone.

ginger:D
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    Ballet At The Creek, February 11, 2005
    15722240-L.jpg
    Both were taken with my new 300mm Canon lens. 800 ISO, f8, the one above was at 1/640 shutter speed, the one below was 1/800
    I entered the one below in the challenge g

15722238-L.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    The one you entered is really cool. Composed perfectly, I love the OOF bird in the back, right on a strong third. Very sharp bird in the foreground. Textbook. Well done.

Are these sunRISE or SET browns? very smooth.

And which lens did you end up getting? I totally missed that! You can definitely tell how much sharper it is than that 75-300, eh??? mwink.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]