smugmug down?

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited June 1, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I can't get into anything on my site-- control panel, galleries, nothing.

I've tried different browsers (including Firefox 2)-- no luck. I was able to log in but for example if I click on control panel, it just churns and churns and doesn't open. Any ideas what might be causing this?

EDIT: now I notice the SM pics on the top banner of dgrin are missing too.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Same problem
    Yeah, smugmug is down again. If you try control panel a few times, it will open, but has no stats.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    wayne861 wrote:
    Yeah, smugmug is down again. If you try control panel a few times, it will open, but has no stats.

I can't get into the control panel at all. And here's what dgrin looks like:
    79697506.jpg

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 30, 2007
    wayne861 wrote:

The site never went down, I assure you. There seem to be some localized connection problems, but we're not sure yet where they stem from. Sorry, more as we get it.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited May 30, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    The site never went down, I assure you. There seem to be some localized connection problems, but we're not sure yet where they stem from. Sorry, more as we get it.

Well, if it helps, I'm on a T-1 connection right now. And I still can't access my control panel... :cry

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Experiencing same problems here...................
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    smugmug, dgrin, AND advrider were all completely down just now.

smugmug has been running REALLY slow for me the last week or 2. sometimes worse than others.

i've got a 10mbit upload...normally, when first using smugmug some months ago, it'd take about 1 second to upload an 8.2mp shot. now, it's taking me upwards of 6 seconds per shot.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Even dgrin.com was briefly unavailable when I first tried viewing this thread after seeing it in my RSS feed.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    smugmug, dgrin, AND advrider were all completely down just now.

Our servers were / are not down. Some folks (like you) couldn't connect - and so it appears down. We're sorry you are having trouble - it's some sort of connectivity issue on the internets - our engineers are looking into things right now.

Sorry again all, for the hassle.
    edited May 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Our servers were / are not down. Some folks (like you) couldn't connect - and so it appears down. We're sorry you are having trouble - it's some sort of connectivity issue on the internets - our engineers are looking into things right now.

i had 2 other people check as well, one about 170 miles south west of me in san jose and another about 1000 miles south east in dallas. both reported unable to connect as well.

the reason i had 2 others check (on different ISPs and locale) is that i thought perhaps it may have been a DNS issue on my end, as i've had that happen before (i can't connect, but others can).

given that i have my own co-lo server as well (in west palm beach florida), i know how it is some times. the hurricanes last year or the year before had me down for 4 days straight.

judging by performance, it just seems like the server(s) has too much load and simply hiccupped. *shrugs*

i ain't mad...but a guy i just reffered over to smugmug today kinda is.
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Not sure what others are having issues with, but I can log in and whatever, I uploaded two photos and after FOUR tries, I STILL can not arrange them to 1st and 2nd position in my gallery.Two attempts seems 'normal' but after four tries a guy gets a little frusterated. eek7.gif

I give up.

EDIT: 5 times.

EDIT #2: 6 times it finally took
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

edited May 30, 2007
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Not sure what others are having issues with, but I can log in and whatever, I uploaded two photos and after FOUR tries, I STILL can not arrange them to 1st and 2nd position in my gallery.Two attempts seems 'normal' but after four tries a guy gets a little frusterated. eek7.gif

I give up.

EDIT: 5 times.

EDIT #2: 6 times it finally took

it was only down for about 5 minutes in all.

i too have noticed how it "doesn't take" when you arrange galleries lately. sometimes takes 2, 3, and 4 tries.

also, another thing i've noticed lately is that say i'm in ./blah/foo/ and create a new gallery, it doesn't retain the ./blah/foo/ structure that it used to. now you have to manually change category/sub category for every single new gallery.

that a bug? or was is changed recently?
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    it was only down for about 5 minutes in all.

i too have noticed how it "doesn't take" when you arrange galleries lately. sometimes takes 2, 3, and 4 tries.

also, another thing i've noticed lately is that say i'm in ./blah/foo/ and create a new gallery, it doesn't retain the ./blah/foo/ structure that it used to. now you have to manually change category/sub category for every single new gallery.

that a bug? or was is changed recently?

I've noticed the same problem with arranging galleries, many times it takes 3 or 4 trys to get it to stick.
    Dan

Canon Gear
    edited May 31, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    I've noticed the same problem with arranging galleries, many times it takes 3 or 4 trys to get it to stick.

Yeah, same here. Always figured I was just crazy and not paying attention when arranging and accidentally hit back instead of save. Unfortunately, this may have been the case once or twice... but hopefully not every time! :D

• MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    It's just extremely slow for me, I can get to my homepage and then it takes forever to get into my folders. I had this problem yesterday too off and on. And I had my mom check she is 600 miles away and she had the same problem. I was thinking it was my fault for changing my site and maybe I did something wrong when I was customizing, but it was working just fine.

Just nice to know I'm not alone, sorry for everyone else though! headscratch.gif
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com
    www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Morning,

Stats are at 0 for my galleries, :cry
    this also happened yesterday briefly in the afternoon,
    any thoughts......headscratch.gif

rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    My homepage seems a little bit slower than usual in delivering the photos and thumbs, but nothing worrysome. Just my control panel seems to be not coming up - it's been 2 min now and nothing has happened so far.

Sebastian

EDIT: Now it has timed out.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    MyView wrote:
    It's just extremely slow for me, I can get to my homepage and then it takes forever to get into my folders. I had this problem yesterday too off and on.

I am having these same issues, when I try to get into the control panel it will just clock.
    edited May 31, 2007
    Smugmug sluggish this morning
    I hadn't noticed any slowdowns with Smugmug over the past few days as others have been reporting, but this morning, wow, browsing any smugmug galleries is really slow right now. Everything else, including dgrin.com is very fast.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited May 31, 2007
    rich56k wrote:
    Morning,

Stats are at 0 for my galleries, :cry
    this also happened yesterday briefly in the afternoon,
    any thoughts......headscratch.gif

rich56k

Confirmed in my account as well. Stats are at 0.
  • jamescalderjamescalder Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    I hadn't noticed any slowdowns with Smugmug over the past few days as others have been reporting, but this morning, wow, browsing any smugmug galleries is really slow right now. Everything else, including dgrin.com is very fast.
    browsing is reaaaalllllyyyyy sloooooooowwwww forrrrrr meeeeee toooooooo...

:oogle
    edited May 31, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    There seem to be some localized connection problems, but we're not sure yet where they stem from. Sorry, more as we get it.

So any update? It sounds like people all over the USA and even other countries are experiencing slow-downs. I'm not very technical when it comes to the internets :D but this doesn't seem like a localized problem.

• creativetechguycreativetechguy Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Well at least I'm not alone, my Smugmug page is completely down...It just stalls.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Southern California. Not sure what the work connection is, but at home I'm on Time Warner Cable, and I've had no problems at all on either connection throughout this whole time that you've been having problems. Just sayin'. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Southern California. Not sure what the work connection is, but at home I'm on Time Warner Cable, and I've had no problems at all on either connection throughout this whole time that you've been having problems. Just sayin'. :D

Same here in Chelmsford... it is working but intermittently very very slow.
    Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms altair.kronos.com [158.228.56.3]
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms corp-fw-trust.kronos.com [158.228.12.1]
    3 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms cs-hq-gw1.core.kronos.com [158.228.1.4]
    4 7 ms 7 ms 13 ms sl-gw21-nyc-6-0-TS4.sprintlink.net [160.81.101.33]
    5 9 ms 12 ms 14 ms sl-bb26-nyc-15-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.13.157]
    6 8 ms 8 ms 7 ms so1-0-0-2488M.ar3.NYC1.gblx.net [208.51.134.25]
    7 98 ms 113 ms 110 ms SMUGMUG.gigabitethernet3-35.ar2.SJC2.gblx.net [64.214.196.246]
    8 91 ms 90 ms 90 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    Trace complete.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • DigitalDayDigitalDay Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2007
    Same here in Chelmsford... it is working but intermittently very very slow.

Same problem here in Munich, Germany!
  • wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Still slow
    Western New York here, and a bit faster than yesterday, but still very slow. The control panel will open if you are patient, browsing the galleries is very slow. The only site I am having any problem with is SmugMug

When arranging photos, just do a few at a time and then save, that seems to work. If you try to do a lot at once, they do not save and you will have to do them over.
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 31, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    So any update? It sounds like people all over the USA and even other countries are experiencing slow-downs. I'm not very technical when it comes to the internets :D but this doesn't seem like a localized problem.

We're really, really sorry everyone. We've been pounding on it trying to figure it out while our Chief Geek was tied up in an important conference.

We think we just fixed it. Can some of you confirm?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • creativetechguycreativetechguy Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Seems good now!
    Sheaf wrote:
    We're really, really sorry everyone. We've been pounding on it trying to figure it out while our Chief Geek was tied up in an important conference.

edited May 31, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:

Browsing looks good now, thanks.
    edited May 31, 2007
    Seems good now!

15524779-Ti.gif

I can get into my control panel! Definite improvement from yesterday.