When a good camera goes bad

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited July 2, 2007 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

I have just shipped my D2X off to the crack Nikon repair team in Melville, NY. I though it would be "fun" to start a thread and report back on the camera's progress through this process. Hopefully it will be of use if you are in a similar position in the future.

I was up at the rookery in St. Augustine yesterday when I started to receive a flashing "EFF" in my LCD. I changed batteries, CF cards and lenses in attempt to solve the problem w/o success.

I got home and called Nikonusa support and at the tech's suggestion hit the two menu resets and the button reset on the D2X w/o any luck. The tech then e-mailed me instructions on how to send the D2X in for service. The tech was very helpful and my only problem with him was the subtle note of glee in his voice when he realized the camera had just gone past the warranty period.

I went down to the shipping store this morning and had the camera bagged in a plastic bag and then protected with shipping peanuts and bubble wrap. I enclosed a note decribing the porblem and my contact info for the Nikon folks. I shipped it two day air by Fed Ex (if I had done overnight they would have received it late Friday or early Saturday and no one would have looked at it until Monday anyhow). I opted for Fed Ex because I once worked for UPS. I will call the Nikon folks on Wednesday to get my service repair # which I will need to track its progress from their web site. They say they will send you the service repair # but usully don't do that. The only time they sent me that # it came in two days after the camera I had sent to them had been repaired and returned.

The adventure begins........
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I opted for Fed Ex because I once worked for UPS.

So...you figure they haven't recovered yet?!?wings.gif

Good luck, Harry. I bet this is killing you.

Any idea...how much? $$$ that is.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    So...you figure they haven't recovered yet?!?wings.gif

Nope but I remember how I mistreated packages as a UPS worker. Since they hired me I can never trust their hiring decisions again.
    Good luck, Harry. I bet this is killing you.

Any idea...how much? $$$ that is.[/quote
    ]

I'm doing Ok. I still have the D200 to shoot with and I'll just shake the cobwebs off the D100 and use that as my second body.

I'm betting on a minimum of $400. The D2X has been through a lot of use in some harsh conditions. I reached the 40,000 mark for 2007 shots last week.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 7, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    I'm doing Ok. I still have the D200 to shoot with and I'll just shake the cobwebs off the D100 and use that as my second body.

I'm betting on a minimum of $400. The D2X has been through a lot of use in some harsh conditions. I reached the 40,000 mark for 2007 shots last week.

40,000! I only have 33,000 for 2 cameras in about 20 months time.

$400 ain't so bad if it's fixed correctly....that's always the main worry.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 7, 2007
    Does Nikon know who they are dealing with? Didn't they learn from the last time:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43289
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43943

You'll probably get one of the new "stealth" D3Xs models by the time you're done with them.

Good luck! The Nikon D2X/D2Xs cameras are awfully nice machines, and coupled with the best Nikkor telephotos are to die for, as you consistantly demonstrate.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Harryb wrote:

Nope but I remember how I mistreated packages as a UPS worker. Since they hired me I can never trust their hiring decisions again.

]

Wow, 40,000 for 2007? You do realize we are only half way through it right Harry? Oh, and I will never send a package UPS again...

Never...

Ever...

rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 7, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    40,000! I only have 33,000 for 2 cameras in about 20 months time.

Yeah, its been a slow year so far but I expect to pick up the pace soon. :ivar I have lots of time to shoot. I have mentioned that I'm retired haven't I? :cavig :photo beer.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif
    $400 ain't so bad if it's fixed correctly....that's always the main worry.

I would be happy with $400 but I have this sinking feeling that its will be a tad higher. :cry No worries about it getting fixed properly. It will be done right or the Nikon repair service folks have just begun a long and intimate relationship with me. :rambo
    Harry
    edited June 7, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Does Nikon know who they are dealing with? Didn't they learn from the last time:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43289
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=43943

You'll probably get one of the new "stealth" D3Xs models by the time you're done with them.

Good luck! The Nikon D2X/D2Xs cameras are awfully nice machines, and coupled with the best Nikkor telephotos are to die for, as you consistantly demonstrate.

We will see how they do this time. I don't know about the D3Xs if they have the rumored MPs I will need a new PC to deal with those large files.

I'm pretty happy with the D2X and will be satisfied with just a few tweaks.
    Harry
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    How far past warranty was it?

I was a little shocked when I sent my Canon 50mm f/1.5 lens off to them for repair 45 days after teh warranty was up and they fixed it for free! Whoa.... Talk about service!

I sure hope YOU get that service and you are pleasantly surprised by you sweet camera free of charge!

Good luck with the repairs!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Harryb wrote:

You honestly think they're any different? Recall that their ground service is just Really Poor Service with repainted trucks & new shirts. Seriously, in my experience dealing with just about all the shipping services, they all treat packages about the same, all make the same mistakes, and all have the same excuses. It really doesn't matter who you pick, if you pack correctly the item will show up on time & intact on the other end.

Anyway, hope it all turns out well. Being without the camera has to suck.
    edited June 8, 2007
    You honestly think they're any different? Recall that their ground service is just Really Poor Service with repainted trucks & new shirts. Seriously, in my experience dealing with just about all the shipping services, they all treat packages about the same, all make the same mistakes, and all have the same excuses. It really doesn't matter who you pick, if you pack correctly the item will show up on time & intact on the other end.

Anyway, hope it all turns out well. Being without the camera has to suck.

I agree with you, but I think it is more of a mental thing. Kind of like if you have worked in a certain restaurant. After you see what goes on behind the scenes you may never want to eat there again. Does this mean you will never eat out anywhere? Probably not, even though you know in your head that most places have the same problems, it is that first hand experience that just finishes it.

But that is why I pack all my packages like they are filled with nitroglycerin!
  • ShutterMuseShutterMuse Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    [quote=Harryb I have lots of time to shoot. I have mentioned that I'm retired haven't I? :cavig :photo beer.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

[/quote]

I'm retired too, but no where near that many shots... guess that's the line between hobbiest/amature and deranged/prefessional. rolleyes1.gif

Of course I'm still new to SLR (less than a year) so maybe that'll change.

Good luck, I hope they fix it right and quickly for you.
    edited June 8, 2007
    ... guess that's the line between hobbiest/amature and deranged/prefessional. rolleyes1.gif

There's a "line"? Nobody told me about a line.

OMG, which line am I in? headscratch.gif

(That's what I was afraid of.)

rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53
    edited June 9, 2007
    How far past warranty was it?

I was a little shocked when I sent my Canon 50mm f/1.5 lens off to them for repair 45 days after teh warranty was up and they fixed it for free! Whoa.... Talk about service!

I sure hope YOU get that service and you are pleasantly surprised by you sweet camera free of charge!

Good luck with the repairs!

Thanks Andi and I doubt if this one will be free. I have no complaints though. I have taken lots of shots (around 60,000 +) in some very difficults conditions.
    Harry
    edited June 11, 2007
    Well the D2X arrived at Nikonland at 9:47 AM. I will give them a call on Thursday morning to get the service # and to track it online (it usually takes them around two days to get it onto their system).

Now the real waiting starts. :twitch
    Harry
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

I have just shipped my D2X off to the crack Nikon repair team in Melville........

Good Luck Harry! I'm hoping everything comes back better than new for you.

I was almost in the same boat last month thinking I would have to ship my D2Hs or possibly the lens as well. While shooting an AutoX event at a local car show, I started getting blank (all black) frames outta nowhere and every once in awhile, the VR felt like it was freaking out on my 70 - 200 2.8 VR. A few 100 shots later, all the lcd's started blinking like I hit the self distruct button on the body.. aaack.. I attempted to pull a backup of the card to my P-3000 and it came back with "card not formatted" ..ok.. there's a happy thought (thankfully PhotoRestore works like a champ). I put aside that card for later and popped in another and nothing.. the body still flashing like ET was attempting contact. Well.. thanks to the suggestion of another shooter there, I pulled the lens and cleaned the contacts as good as I could which is a bit freaky with cars whizzing all around you. However, it started behaving nicely again although I still got a few blank ones here and there, but was able to continue shooting another 1700+ with only losing 10 - 15 shots. Once home, I cleaned all my lens contacts really really well and have fired another 7000 + since without ANY incident. ...whew...

So I at least dodged the bullet for now... and I truly hope your issue is resolved quickly and perfectly. thumb.gif
    edited June 14, 2007
    I just got off the phone with a Nikon dude and everything is going as expected. They can't find my camera. ne_nau.gif

We all agree that fedex delivered the D2X to them at 9:47 AM on Monday but what happened next is a mystery. The crack Nikon team is diligently searching for my D2X and will call me in the next two days. Does anybody want to take my bet that I will have to initiate the next call?

I was prepared for this eventuality. I did my standard pre-hissy fit routine and indicated that a full hissy fit would be unleashed if the D2X was not located by Monday.

Tips you may want to remember -

1. Always ship by a carrier that lets you track the package and provides delivery confirmation

2. Make sure you have the serial # of your camera recorded before you send it in.

3. If you have a nervous type of personality or have difficulties with stress see your MD and get the necessary medications before sending in your gear for service.

and so the game continues -suspenseful isn't it. :ivar
    Harry
    edited June 14, 2007
    Good luck Harry. Fingers crossed for you.
    ziggy53
    edited June 14, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Good luck Harry. Fingers crossed for you.

In this scenario I would cross my fingers for Nikon. :rambo
    Harry
    edited June 14, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    In this scenario I would cross my fingers for Nikon. :rambo

What most people don't know about Harry is that he has an inner ninja that loosed upon all those who displease him.. And me well know how rough ninjas can be! :D
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Hooked on the developing Drama
    thumb.gifeek7.gif Staying tuned for the next installment.
    Regards, David
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited June 15, 2007
    It's a conspiracy I tell you. The Universe wants Harry to shoot Canon, so it arranges for a) Canon to release the oh-so-tempting Mk III to get him thinking along those lines, then b) breaks his D2 and finally c) causes the Nikon techs to lose it, thus ticking him off at Nikon once and for all. It all makes sense. deal.gifD
    edited June 16, 2007
    Eureka clap.gif I just received an e-mail from Nikon with my service repair #. Now I can go to Nikonusa.com and approve and track the camera's status.

Here's what the web page looks like
    163418007-L.jpg

I have approved the current estimate so they can proceed with the repairs. The final cost at this point with shipping is around $425. I expect this to go up before the deal is finalized. The estimate provided is from what other D2X's cost when they came in with similar issues. I know that my D2X also has a cracked LCD cover which will drive this estimate up.

Fortunately the worst is over, they have the camera and actually know where it is. Now I just have to wait for the repairs to be completed and get the actual cost approved. I should have the D2X back early next week.

Of course then I will have to see how the camera operates after the repairs are done. The last time I dealt with these good folks the camera (a D2H) came back in worst shape and had to be replaced.
    Harry
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    The last time I dealt with these good folks the camera (a D2H) came back in worst shape and had to be replaced.

Hmm....we'll see what replaces it this time around if that happens. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited June 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hmm....we'll see what replaces it this time around if that happens. mwink.gif

It would be interesting to see their reaction if I asked them for a Mark III. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
    edited June 16, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Of course then I will have to see how the camera operates after the repairs are done. The last time I dealt with these good folks the camera (a D2H) came back in worst shape and had to be replaced.

...so we'll call the snowball fight postponed for now rather than cancelled. :D

Glad to hear they found it and are now fixing it.
  • JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Harryb wrote:

Thats Pretty much teh way I am with the USPS. I was a letter carrier for about 5 years. No matter what your horror stories with the USPS are, I bet I can top them....

Andrew
    “Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    [John Muir]
    edited June 17, 2007
    Joemess wrote:
    Thats Pretty much teh way I am with the USPS. I was a letter carrier for about 5 years. No matter what your horror stories with the USPS are, I bet I can top them....

Andrew

That's another "service" I won't use for packages. I guess its like eating in a restaurant. You never really want to know what goes on behind the scenes.

I once had a summer job for a place called "Donuts A-Go-Go". On my first day of work on a very hot summer's day in July I found the owner in the back mixing up the donut batter. He was sitting down in his Tee-shirt sweating up a storm. He was smoking a big fat cigar and every once in awhile he would flick the cigar's ashes off into the donut batter.

Being a rookie in the donut game, I said "excuse me sir but do you realize that you are flicking your ashes into the donut batter?" He responded "Yeah, I know kid but the Board of Health is coming down today and I want to keep the floor clean."

It was years before I could eat a donut again.
    Harry
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Our hearts goes with you on these sad times mwink.gif

btw i am impressed with Nikon's progress tracking online eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited June 26, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    It was years before I could eat a donut again.

LMFAO wings.gif!
    edited June 27, 2007
    Well the D2X is still in Nikonland. It was showing as being "in shop" until 3 days ago when its status changed to "parts hold". I contacted one of the lads at their service support line and he will send me an e-mail about what part its on hold for and approximately how long it will take to get the part.

This, at this point, is about twice as long as the 3 prior times I've sent cameras into them. :cry

Fortunately I still have the D200 to shoot with but the more I use the D200 as my main body the more I miss the D2X.
    Harry