Options

First Time Sports Tournament Photography - Need (Quick) Help!

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigHotShotBigHotShot Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    And let me talk to the wife, I'll explain it to her.
    :)

Dragon, thanks so much for your help. As for showing prints, I thought I'd print contact sheets (say 9 or 12 on a sheet?) and bundle them into 3-ring binders per team. That will be a fair amount of printing itself, but cheaper than trying to run multiple PC's (at least for now). As for the booth, tables & a big canopy. Probably some signage and big prints (just depends if I really need to sleep in the next couple of days ... I still have day job :).

Thanks for the estimated sales projections. That helps tremendously on planning for inventory. Any estimates on various sizes? And your thoughts on the off-brand papers?

Here's an idea I came up with last minute that you might like. The tournament is a college showcase with dozens of college coaches in attendance. We're offering a college showcase package (in addition to the traditional pics) where a family can pick a shot, fill out a form and later we'll personalize the picture on a 4x8 with player information that a college coach/scout would want. We'll then deliver those to the coaches of their choosing. This will let the coaches know who's interested and hopefully help the players get noticed/remembered. I'll let you know how it goes. I think it's a win-win-win deal.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    BigHotShot wrote:
    :)

Here's an idea I came up with last minute that you might like. The tournament is a college showcase with dozens of college coaches in attendance. We're offering a college showcase package (in addition to the traditional pics) where a family can pick a shot, fill out a form and later we'll personalize the picture on a 4x8 with player information that a college coach/scout would want. We'll then deliver those to the coaches of their choosing. This will let the coaches know who's interested and hopefully help the players get noticed/remembered. I'll let you know how it goes. I think it's a win-win-win deal.

As a mom of a player in need of this service (the appropriate list of college scouts names that is), I think this is a great idea!!!!

I shot photos for a player for just such a dossier - feedback from the parent and the scout was 'great job'. The scout went one further and asked where the parent found the photographer!

ann
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Honestly I hate to say it but no idea on sizes. I only use the canon pro paper. It's expensive compared to some of the off brands but really good. I have had some luck with the kodak pro papers but you have to be really good at following the instructions for calibrating the photos and printer to that paper.

The showcase package sounds like a winner to me thumb.gif.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BigHotShotBigHotShot Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    For what it's worth...
    I brought home two Canon printers for a head to head; the PIXMA Pro9000 vs. the PIXMA MP600. I printed several photos on each, labelled them on the back and mixed them up. As for me, I could not tell a difference. My wife (blind test) said they all looked the same. In the one instance when I pressed her to pick one pic over the other, she actually chose the MP600 print (but it was really more of a toss-up). $500 vs. $180, however, is not a toss-up. Nice savings.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    So how did it go? Are you still alive?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com