B&H Question

Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited July 13, 2007 in Cameras
I’ve been purchasing my equipment from B&H for a long time. They have the expertise, the equipment and for the most part, the price. Orders are filled promptly. Everything is well packaged and it’s an all around good experience. I’ve had nothing bad to say about them. In fact, I generally have nothing but praise.

But a friend of mine has had a problem lately. It seems that they are sending grey market lenses when he specifically asked for USA (for the warranty and the warranty card isn't from Canon USA).

So is this just a couple of blips on the radar or has anyone else been having some poor experiences with B&H lately?

:scratch

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Be prepared to back this up with details, Henry Posner from B&H is a friend of Dgrin and I'm sure he'll be by :)
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Bandit959 wrote:
    So is this just a couple of blips on the radar or has anyone else been having some poor experiences with B&H lately?

headscratch.gif
    I never had any problems with B&H. They are top notch in my book.

Is your friend 100% sure that he didn't accidently click Imported?

Any ways, I'm positive B&H will make it right.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    I've also never had a problem with B&H. They are the first place I go for anything that has to do with photography or imaging of any kind. Not always the cheapest, but when you are spending thousands of dollars, saving a few bucks from a place with poor service and slow shipping just isn't worth it.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have personally searched the Internet and not found a single instance of verifiable impropriety by B&H. On the contrary, every one of my personal experiences have been professional and, when there was a problem, resolved to my complete satisfaction.

15524779-Ti.gif

I have never found any company that matches B&H for integrity and the quality of provided services. On more than one occasion I bought an item from B&H that cost a little more than what some of their competitors were charging. The reason for that is that I trust B&H. Last year when I bought a D2X from them it went sour two days after I received it. My return of the item and its replacement was handled quickly and with absolutely no hassle at all.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    RTP wrote:
    I never had any problems with B&H. They are top notch in my book.

Is your friend 100% sure that he didn't accidently click Imported?

Any ways, I'm positive B&H will make it right.

I have never had any problems either, but I do find it easy to click the wrong button if you aren't paying strict attention. But that could be verified by his bill of sale. If it shows full price, then there may be another problem. I would highly doubt it was a case of bait and switch, however.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited June 16, 2007
    I have just recieved a private message from Bandit that was convincing and detailed enough that I consider it to be a factual account of a problem his friend experienced with a transactipon with B&H.

My aplologies to Bandit for not believing the story.

Folks, if you have a prpoblem with B&H, please try to work with them as though it is a simple mistake (it probably is). The suggestion that they "would" perform any impropriety is presumptuous and injurious.

Bandit, if you wish, your friend can contact Henry Posner via his e-mail in his profile.

http://dgrin.com/member.php?u=1212
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    I only use B&H and newegg. No problems with either.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    I have to second what Ziggy says. Everybody makes mistakes. The important thing is what they do to fix it.

And while it could certainly be the start of a bad trend, I suspect it's more likely that the boxes just look alike.:D
  • JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Bandit959 wrote:
    I’ve been purchasing my equipment from B&H for a long time. They have the expertise, the equipment and for the most part, the price. Orders are filled promptly. Everything is well packaged and it’s an all around good experience. I’ve had nothing bad to say about them. In fact, I generally have nothing but praise.

But a friend of mine has had a problem lately. It seems that they are sending grey market lenses when he specifically asked for USA (for the warranty and the warranty card isn't from Canon USA).

headscratch.gif

This is the problem with the internet... It is easy to say something that you may not intend to be inflammatory or defamatory, however it often comes across as such. To initial accuse a company such as B+H of Bait and switch a little on the sketchy side. To not contact B+H directly before trying (inadvertently or not) to damage a reputation is not the best course of action. In fact, it is pretty low. B+H has a stellar reputation because they make things right. Just recently there was a HUGE smear campaign about the new canon rebates that got way out of hand.

Mistakes get made. I make them, you make them, your friend makes them, and yes companies such as B+H makes them. Mistakes also get fixed quite readily. Give them a chance to fix it, or likely as not explain that your friend made a boo-boo on the order... I am sure there is a cyber record of what happened.

I have seen a close friend's business nearly shut down due to a loose cannon on the internet. B+H may be to big to really hurt, but not the little guys. Think about what you put on the net can do, before you type it.

Andrew
    “Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    [John Muir]
  • Jim VictoryJim Victory Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    I have had just the opposite experience with B&H. I purchased a Grey market 300 f/2.8L IS and 500 f/4L IS and they shipped me the USA model, at Grey market price, because they were out of the Grey markets.

I certainly don't know anyone else that would do that. Most stores would say they were out and you would have to wait.
    Jim
    Canon Equipment
    http://www.victoryphoto.net
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 16, 2007
    Never a problem with any of my B&H purchases over the past couple years. They are a very large retailer and no doubt have their fair share of misunderstandings and problems. One can't open a business and not have these sort of things happen. The difference is how customers and retailers work together to resolve an issue.

In every case (that seems to have merit) I have ever read about in any forum, Henry Posner or another B&H representative have contacted the customer privately or within the thread and offered to resolve the issue.

One case personally (not having anything to do with a purchasing issue) forever cemented my faith in B&H, convincing me that they not ony go the distance in resolving problems, but go very far out of their way responding to any issue that affects their relationships with their customers.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Bandit959 wrote:

headscratch.gif

I use b&h as well as others online and at ebay...like cameta camera (out in Amityville...have to say I was a bit worried to open boxes from there I really didn't want to be seeing the Wichita Horror in a few years:D)...any way my exoerience with B&H has so far been good.....I have purchased tripods not knowing if I was goint olike them or not and they took it back no questions asked....and that darn thing was used....I didnot want to push my luck so I asked for a store credit and normally you have like 90 days to use it.....well I found what I wanted at and ebay store (Philly Photo - a Giottos tripod) and forgot about my b&h store credit...for 2 yrs.....I sent an email asking if I still had a store credit and also told them I had totally forgotten my account sign in....less than 48 hours I got an email with the credit amount and also my sign in info.....2 yrs had passed and they still honored it......I sitll bargin hunt and if they won't match a price I tell em where I am going to make sure that they can czech out why I am purchasing else where......so far it has all beeen good.....

I am sorry to hear that anyone has had a bad expeirence with b&h....but I bet it was just either the wrong button cliked or possibley the packer just picked the wrong stock item...at any rate they have always taken returns from me and never had any qualms about it......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• kit'n'kaboodlekit'n'kaboodle Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2007
    Is it possible that he bought the IMPORTED rather than the USA vesrion? The USA version costs a bit more.
    Bandit959 wrote:

headscratch.gif
  • UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    I use B&H and have bought my more expensive lens from them and couldnt be more happy with the service I've gotten.thumb.gif

I only wish I'd known about them sooner.

UP N MTNS
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    No Bait & Switch at B&H!
    Bandit959 wrote:
    Thank you.
    I'd be happy to address this directly with your friend who is welcome to email me any time. Until I know the details I'm obviously unable to respond here to this currently anonymous allegation.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have just recieved a private message from Bandit that was convincing and detailed enough that I consider it to be a factual account of a problem his friend experienced with a transactipon with B&H.
    If you have a moment (and the inclination) it'd further this process if you could email this to me. TIA, either way.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Be prepared to back this up with details

Absolutely....we are waiting ?????
  • wyndhamwyndham Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I've only ever bought from B&H over the counter so I can't comment on their internet perfomance but with such a fine reputation to guard they'd be totally crazy to be knowingly doing anything in the slightest to jeopardise it and I'd bet my new D13 (well, almost) that it turns out to be an error that will be corrected swiftly. It certainly would be if I were running the place. However, quickly scanning the thread subjects on the forum the words "BAIT & SWITCH" and "B&H" leap out at you and, as one poster has pointed out, that causes a surprising amount of damage in itself. How many people won't bother to follow the thread an be left with the association of those words at a point where they may be about to purchase?

I'm surprised that the mods haven't asked the OP if he would modify the subject line, at least until more facts in the matter come to light. Of course this brings up other freedom of expression type issues....
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Absolutely....we are waiting ?????

...still waiting. This is starting to look like either trolling or a personal vendetta. Neither particularly welcome. :nono I have to wonder what ever happend to trying to work out a problem? Now it's run to the internet forums and play Chicken Little; a simple error instantly becomes a deliberate attempt to screw you. So, it's past time to either back up the allegation or retract it.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I agree has this issue been resolved yet? As a long time B&H Internet purchaser I have never had one problem, they have even taken back merchandise that I ordered by mistake (I really need to pay attention when reading item details) and refunded my money promplty. As such I know they are more than willing to work with the consumer to correct any mistakes that where made by either party. Lets get an update on this so we can correct this thread title.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 19, 2007
    It is high time to revise the title of this thread since no details are forth coming!

Addendum: Ignore this post, as the title has been revised and is less incendiary.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • TeddifishTeddifish Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I doubt if any of the people who frequent this forum would pay much attention to one second-hand account of a bad experience with a company with as solid a reputation as B & H.

I know I won't.
    Sony A200, 20mm F2.8; 35 - 70 F4; 50mm F1.7; 28-135 F4; 24-70 f2.8z (and a backache)
  • LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I'm also a long time B&H user and have nothing but praise for them. I've never had a problem and I've been able to return items, with no hassle, because they didn't meet my expectations even though exactly as described. If I buy online, I buy from B&H and I recommend them to family and friends. In fact, my oldest daughter has just ordered her D80 from B&H based on my recommendation and my experiences.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Funny thing is... Canon will warranty ANY lens that they made, USA or not (not bodies though). They are all made in Japan. I guess if you spring for the extra 20 bucks for the USA specific lens, then you should get a USA card?? I didnt read the entire thread so IDK if this has already been resolved. I've bought a crap load of stuff from B&H both off the website and from the store... always left a happy camper.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Besides... B&H moves a ridiculous amount of merchandise... I think their reputation is worth A LOT more than the $20 they would have saved by sending you a wack lens. Save 20 bucks on this sale, piss you off, and the next $2,000+ purchase goes to adorama or something...
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I consider the OP a farce...
    I think this thread is a sad example of someone who knows not what they are referring to. I see this more as a human error on B&H's part where a new hire may have grabbed the wrong lens, not knowing which lens to grab, and shipped it. Or a couple orders got the wrong labels? ...but actually who knows? Looking at Bandits history, this one post is the only post in almost a year now, and we've gotten no other replies from him/her to this thread over 4 days. Does not give me warm/fuzzies to the effect of Bandits credibility. eek7.gif

And so that people know more about the term "Bait and Switch", which I really think Bandit needs to read up on so he/she knows what they are talking about the next time this occurs:
    http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=bait%20and%20switch
    http://www.hometravelagency.com/dictionary/bait-and-switch.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_and_switch

BTW, farce is defined HERE.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    Funny thing is... Canon will warranty ANY lens that they made, USA or not (not bodies though).
    My grey market 400 5.6 L had its hood jam 3 days after i got it in the US. I waited til i got back to australia ...sulked about it for 3 months & then took it to the canon HO here & they just asked to see proof of purchase & thats it...fixed free in 2 weeks.
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    I agree has this issue been resolved yet?
    Thanks to the moderator for updating the thread title. I've heard NOTHING from the person who originated this thread nor from the person who allegedly had the unsatisfactory experience.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    henryp wrote:
    Thanks to the moderator for updating the thread title. I've heard NOTHING from the person who originated this thread nor from the person who allegedly had the unsatisfactory experience.
    Surprise, surprise.

This is why I give no weight at all to second hand tales.

People exaggerate in order to make a better story.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    henryp wrote:

No surprise. After all Like I and many many others have said here. B&H doesn't deal in unsatisfactory experiences (except for the holiday closures, but I and most people get that). I know mistakes happen (on both the customer and business side) but I have never heard of one case where B&H hasn't made it right. Hence why B&H is always where I look to spend my money first.

thumb.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    No surprise. After all Like I and many many others have said here. B&H doesn't deal in unsatisfactory experiences (except for the holiday closures, but I and most people get that). I know mistakes happen (on both the customer and business side) but I have never heard of one case where B&H hasn't made it right. Hence why B&H is always where I look to spend my money first.

thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif THe only thing that would make B&H unbeatable forever was if their prices were just a hair lower. I'm not talking about lowballing on the products, just enough lower to get within shooting range of the low cost places. Not that I don't buy from them or anything!! :D