Options

LPS#7 Feedback Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    You make some good points, and I shall definitely be stepping away, not only because I don't agree with the latitude given to images unrelated to the theme, purely because they're great photographs, but because I'm not taking great photographs yet.

I've no doubt that despite any flaws that may or may not be present in the competition, the cream will rise to the top, we're definitely already seeing this and I shall continue to follow the competiton as some of the images being produced are just breathtaking.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, no pulling out of the competition. If you want to get good at anything you have to play against good opponents. Have you ever done anything like tennis, table tennis, badminton or whatever? If you have a bad opponent your own game sucks and you are spending half the time picking up the ball instead of playing. If you have a good opponent you sweat like hell and you give it everything you got. That’s how you will improve, not by playing against someone equal or worse than yourself.
    That’s why I am staying and I hope you’ll do the same.
    Robert
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    Hey Charlie, no pulling out of the competition. If you want to get good at anything you have to play against good opponents. Have you ever done anything like tennis, table tennis, badminton or whatever? If you have a bad opponent your own game sucks and you are spending half the time picking up the ball instead of playing. If you have a good opponent you sweat like hell and you give it everything you got. That’s how you will improve, not by playing against someone equal or worse than yourself.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Robert wrote:

Fair points Robert, but one of my main concerns is falling out with a lot of people here and I value this community quite highly, I allowed myself to get a little more aggressive than I feel comfortable with.

As things stand I can't get my head around the concept of the current competition so I'd rather sit back and watch how it progresses, it's no bad thing.

Anyway look at the positive side, at least you won't have to put up with endlessly tedious threads of me whining about not qualifying mwink.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Fair points Robert, but one of my main concerns is falling out with a lot of people here and I value this community quite highly, I allowed myself to get a little more aggressive than I feel comfortable with.
    I pretty much agree. Some people are just very easy to fall out with. So I have decided to stay out of threads like this before I say things I may regret. Debating morals with total strangers is no point, anyway.

As things stand I can't get my head around the concept of the current competition so I'd rather sit back and watch how it progresses, it's no bad thing.
    (I like the way you avoided using the dirty 5 letter word)
    I thought you were pulling out altoghether. There’s no harm in missing one or two comps, I recon. If you have nothing to post, post nothing. That is one side of creativity that gets easily gets ignored. You can’t suck it out of your fingertips. If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work. Equal to writers block I guess. Not sure myself if I’ll be able to come up with anything.

Anyway look at the positive side, at least you won't have to put up with endlessly tedious threads of me whining about not qualifying
    Sure hope the ‘not qualifying bit’ was NOT THE REASON for your arguments.
    Robert
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    Sure hope the ‘not qualifying bit’ was NOT THE REASON for your arguments.

No, but I would imagine that's how some people 'interpret' it. mwink.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we all agreed all the time? It'll never happen. So let’s just agree to disagree when necessary. Much too much time is wasted here, arguing about points we’ll never agree on. And too many ulcers created for no gain at all.
    Right Lads and Lassies, let’s get on with it.
    Robert
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we all agreed all the time? It'll never happen. So let’s just agree to disagree when necessary. Much too much time is wasted here, arguing about points we’ll never agree on. And too many ulcers created for no gain at all.
    Right Lads and Lassies, let’s get on with it.

It certainly would be more convenient, however, not much innovation would likely take place if everyone agreed on everything. Rock and roll, impressionist painting, and Bjork would have never happened mwink.gif

This thread has been a great example of people disagreeing without becoming enemies in the process. A disagreement doesn't have to mean all out war. It is just a disagreement.

I appreciate everyones comments and spirit in hashing this topic out. I think many have walked away with a clearer idea of what they want to do.

Growing pains are never pleasant, but they do lead to growth and seldom are damaging in and of themeselves.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    Charlie, I've had to bite my lips, tounge, and typing fingers watching this thread unfold. At this moment, however, Im fine with it all. My entry was all of two opinion points above yours, but at the end of the day, that's all they are.... opinion points. As was said in one thread recently, "come on, we're all friends here." So I say, come on, there're only 7 days left to submit for LPS8, so lets get with it. Look at the entries so far, and all I see is great photography. Let's don't waste any more time!:smack
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..