Options

iPhone Ca-raziness!

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    They are charging the 3G data rate that they charge on any 3G phone. Or is there something else that I'm missing?
    It's the same 3G price but remember, it's only when you upgrade to the 3G. And face it, most people don't need 3G. Which makes it a huge win for AT&T.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I'm not too worried about AT&T. AT&T has made more in text messages via American Idol than they have in their entire business life Pre-Idol.

I can't find the source where I read that. But I do remember it was reputable.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 11, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm not too worried about AT&T. AT&T has made more in text messages via American Idol than they have in their entire business life Pre-Idol.

I can't find the source where I read that. But I do remember it was reputable.
    Isn't it like $.50 a pop too (plus whatever your data plan costs)?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    It's the same 3G price but remember, it's only when you upgrade to the 3G. And face it, most people don't need 3G. Which makes it a huge win for AT&T.

The more ppl use the iPhone the more they'll need 3G. It will create the need, and you'll wonder how you lived without it. Remember, all those apps....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    What i dont get. I have a boring nokia. I was in a remote area travelling in the car on the weekend & my daughter was searching google on i whilst using its GPS at the same time. Its got a great camera...blue tooth ..holds 34 trillion songs etc etc etc & it costs me $30/mth with $150 free calls which i couldnt use if i tried headscratch.gif But people here still pay a fortune for an iphone.

The phrase 'cant see the wood from the trees comes to mind'

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    gus wrote:
    What i dont get. I have a boring nokia. I was in a remote area travelling in the car on the weekend & my daughter was searching google on i whilst using its GPS at the same time. Its got a great camera...blue tooth ..holds 34 trillion songs etc etc etc & it costs me $30/mth with $150 free calls which i couldnt use if i tried headscratch.gif But people here still pay a fortune for an iphone.

The phrase 'cant see the wood from the trees comes to mind'

The iPhone has a much larger screen, for one. The user interface is just, well, its just plain better. Easier to use. More intuitive. Its a total experience, not just a collection of features. Apple is more than just a list of features, which is what most people don't understand.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    They are charging the 3G data rate that they charge on any 3G phone. Or is there something else that I'm missing?

Internet and 200 MMS for my 3G Razr runs $20/month, but I cannot do what you can do on an iphone with it.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    I wonder if the 3G iphone will be able to make a phone call and access the internet at the same time? My RAZR can do it, hopefully the iphone will as well.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    The iPhone has a much larger screen, for one. The user interface is just, well, its just plain better. Easier to use. More intuitive. Its a total experience, not just a collection of features. Apple is more than just a list of features, which is what most people don't understand.
    You mean that turtle neck thingy ?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 12, 2008
    gus wrote:
    You mean that turtle neck thingy ?

lol3.giflol3.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Oh Gus, that again!:D :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Oh Gus, that again!:D :D
    rolleyes1.gifgigglelol3.gifcrazy
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    So, if you work for a company that will cover data part of the cost, do you think that the iphone worth it?
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    So, if you work for a company that will cover data part of the cost, do you think that the iphone worth it?
    absolutely. I used to use another device that had similar capabilities (though none of the style), and when it broke I felt like my arm was cut off. Going back to just a phone, without my email, full address book, web browser etc. etc. is downright painful. And that's without the iPhone's style, UI and the upcoming apps. The minute I get a new job, I'm heading to "the iPhone store." mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    It's a really sweet phone. But there are a few smart phones that do certian applications better then iPhones.

So as usual, the answer is depends.. What your needs are. The new iPhone and others like the Touch and Voyager are SWEEET phones. But if you really want to stay functional in the field w/ minimal work. Smart phones are a better route.

JMO
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Right now work provides me with a blackjack II. Nice device, terrible battery life. 90% of the time I only use it for email, scheduling meetings, and web access, however once (just to see if I could, and to see how difficult it would be) I worked on a word document while on the bus to work; I don't think I will be able to do that with an iphone.

The blackjack that works gives me has a data only plan (unlimited), no voice. So right now carry my blackjack, my cell phone, and my ipod. Getting an iphone just seems like an ideal way to combine everything.

The reason for not getting an iphone in the past, was that it didn't support msft exchange.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    I would do it in a second to consolidate all that extra luggage. I hate clutter though.
    I guess another factor is if you like a digital or button keyboard.

There's a ton of development out there. I'd be really surprised if they didn't have reliable msft xchange applications by now.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'd be really surprised if they didn't have reliable msft xchange applications by now.
    July 11th.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    StevenV wrote:

yah, I still have a little while to make up my mind. :D

Besides, with iPhones, aren't you suppose to wait a few months before buying them, until apple lowers the price. mwink.gif
    Andrew

• Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    aren't you suppose to wait a few months before buying them, until apple lowers the price. mwink.gif
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I would do it in a second to consolidate all that extra luggage. I hate clutter though.

What do you mean by extra luggage ? Other phones ?
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Ya, going down from having 3 pieces of electronics to 1 piece is a definite bonus in my book.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    gus wrote:

I would love it if I had one device to make calls, send emails, look at pictures, take pictures, listen to music, watch movies, and do what ever it is you do with iphones that smugmug is currently working on. :D
    Andrew

• Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Ya, going down from having 3 pieces of electronics to 1 piece is a definite bonus in my book.
    Ahh ok. I often lose my phone ...and wallet & keys for a week at a time, sometimes longer. Eventually they always turn up. I even once left them all on the footpath for about 3 hours & when i returned they were still there (much to my wifes amusement) despite it being a rather busy road.

The less i care about stuff like this the less it cares about me of which im starting to enjoy.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

The iPhone wasn't the most expensive option on that list, pretty much all the 3G options that were presented were pretty expensive. \

Then if you use the iPhone for work, the data plan goes up to $45, and if you want all of the other cool features its $99 more a year for mobile me.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Appropriate thread title...
    http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/06/video-iphone-co.html

Video: iPhone controls robot plane squad
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Can you use the headset on a phone call and be on the internet at the same time on the iphone 3G? ear.gif

Does anyone use a POP mail account? What do you use for a server when sending mail, att wireless server or your own webhost?
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 24, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Can you use the headset on a phone call and be on the internet at the same time on the iphone 3G? ear.gif

Yes, but you have to have a 3G or WiFi connection.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

Does anyone use a POP mail account? What do you use for a server when sending mail, att wireless server or your own webhost?

I avoid POP at all costs, so that I don't have to manage my messages twice. IMAP, FTW!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops