Took the DSLR plunge today

2»

Comments

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Merci
    Thanks ziggy. Am I nuts to be trying this (85mm 1.8 with manual focus) handheld in a concert? rolleyes1.gif

The AF-S ZM NIK DX VR 55-200mm 4.5-5.5 is in my price range and would get me closer to the stage with less 'shake'. Opinions about the lens?
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Patti,

My father is a Nikon shooter, and if I understand the situation correctly, the Nikon D40 and D40X will only meter properly with an AF, AF-D, AF-I or AF-S type lens. If you are looking at the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens it should mount and meter properly, but require manual focus. If you are looking at the older Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AI, it will mount but requires that you meter the scene with an external meter (or guess the exposure) as well as manual focus (since it is a manual focus lens).

Be sure to check out the compatibility chart here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/d40-performance.htm#lenses

... and the notes here:

http://www.aiconversions.com/d70etc.htm
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 11, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    Thanks ziggy. Am I nuts to be trying this (85mm 1.8 with manual focus) handheld in a concert? rolleyes1.gif

The AF-S ZM NIK DX VR 55-200mm 4.5-5.5 is in my price range and would get me closer to the stage with less 'shake'. Opinions about the lens?

Patti,

Concert lighting can vary considerably. For a night concert, my only experience is with "Boys2Men" a couple of years ago. (They just happened to be where I was.) It was an outdoor street venue and the lighting was fairly good, but I used all of the 50mm f1.8 I had with me at the time. I think I was at f1.8 and 1/250th at ISO 1600, if I remember correctly (no guarantees). I was way too far away from the stage to get anything good, but the exposure was fairly good. (This was using a Canon XT and the EF 50mm, f1.8II.)

Manual focus on these smaller (crop) cameras is tough. I highly recommend a viewfinder magnifier for any chance for success. Even then, it takes a lot of practice to make it work well. If there is a lot of stage movement you will have to pre-focus on a spot and wait for the subject to "hit the mark".
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    Did you get any info yet? I was in a local shop to look at the 85mm f/1.8 and they talked me out of it, insisting that it won't meter. Grrrrrr The only fast lens I can get is the 18-200 AFS (2.8) zoom and it's way out of my price range.

I'm going to regret not going for the D80 aren't I?
    No Patti... I've not had the time to get one in my hands yet. But hopefully soon...

Was the 85/1.8 AF or MF? The AF/AFD lens WILL meter on that body. (danm sales maggots) ...Just that it will not AF on the D40/D40x.

Or get the D50. I understand that the D50 is one of the better high ISO/small Nikon bods out there.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    No Patti... I've not had the time to get one in my hands yet. But hopefully soon...

Was the 85/1.8 AF or MF? The AF/AFD lens WILL meter on that body. (danm sales maggots) ...Just that it will not AF on the D40/D40x.

Or get the D50. I understand that the D50 is one of the better high ISO/small Nikon bods out there.

It was AF Chris. I knew I was right!!! Don't these people know the cameras they sell? (rhetorical question - obviously they don't). He thought it would be in total manual - aperture, shutter and focus.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    It was AF Chris. I knew I was right!!! Don't these people know the cameras they sell? (rhetorical question - obviously they don't). He thought it would be in total manual - aperture, shutter and focus.
    Well, next time you do this, take the initiative... Take your bod and ask them to get the lens out so you can try it out. If they don't, go talk to the manager. That is sad sales ethics...
  • AngelaineAngelaine Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Congratulations!
    Congratulations on your new Nikon. You sound less of a newbie than I am. I had a Nikon AF 35mm camera and just loved it. Now I finally bought the latest Canon Digital Rebel SLR. Am learning, learning, learning.
    Good luck
    Elaine
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them ~ Matisse