Options

Storms in Montana

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited July 16, 2007 in Landscapes
My wife and I just returned from a vacation to Montana. I'm originally from there, and have always wanted to take pictures of some of the awesome storms that roll through the state in the summertime. Well, this year I finally got my chance:

These first 3 shots were taken near Choteau, Montana (where Willie Nelson's big 4th of July concert was this year). I had been driving north following the Rocky Mountain front range when I saw these little storms. I setup my camera using my intervalometer and starting shooting:

172540358-L.jpg
Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F5.0, 1/10 second

172540375-L.jpg
Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F8.0, 1/4 second

172540387-L.jpg
Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F8.0, 8/10 second

After capturing these, the storm started moving off North East of me. I followed it for a while, and found this little farm to shoot as a foreground. The storm was really dieing by this point, but let off a few last bolts for me just as I was running out of space on my memory card:

172539858-L.jpg
Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F5.6, 2.5 seconds

172539868-L.jpg

On the last evening of our trip, I was packing when this nice storm rolled through Great Falls at around 10 pm. I said to heck with packing, and headed out to a lookout over town to shoot some. Most of the good lightning was gone by then, but I did get one good shot:

172539954-L.jpg
Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F4.0, 2 seconds

Take care,

James

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    James
    These are wonderful!
    I particularly like #1,4 and the last one. I think #1 is my favorite.

What is an intervalometer?

ann
  • Options
    MrCrabsMrCrabs Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2007
    Awesome
    These are awe-inspiring. Loved them all!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    James
    These are wonderful!
    I particularly like #1,4 and the last one. I think #1 is my favorite.

What is an intervalometer?

ann

Hi Ann,

Thanks! Glad you liked them. 1 is my favorite as well.

An intervalometer is a timer remote that you can get for the Canon SLRs. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164271-REG/Canon_2477A002_Timer_Remote_Controller_TC_80N3.html

I use it for shooting lightning and star trails. It allows me to take one picture after the other without any pause between. Although, my new 30D now has a fast shoot mode which can be used with a normal remote control.

James
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    MrCrabs wrote:
    These are awe-inspiring. Loved them all!!clap.gif

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Take care. James
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful, I particularly like the last one..
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    clap.gif Wonderful photos! The title of your thread alone was so enticing to me, and the shots truly lived up to the expectation. If I had to pick one, the last one is my favorite. I have always wanted to capture a bolt over a city like that.
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Oooh, that #4 is nice! Love it!
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Whoa!! #2 and #4 are totally superb. Very well done indeed!

#1 is also really cool, though I'd maybe try it in a more usual crop rather than a panorama as all the action is in the centre and the edges dont add much to the pic (in my uneducated amateur view of course!!).

Did you have the 30D on a tripod with remote release and mirror lockup just out of interest?

Tobers
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    These are great!
    I love the last one over the city the best, but they really all are great.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    I just love the skies on the last show. Very powerful. All of them are pretty darn good!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Fantastic shots! Wow. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Holy cow, that last one is incredible - love the cloud and the way the bolt comes out of the middle of it.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    clap.gif Wonderful photos! The title of your thread alone was so enticing to me, and the shots truly lived up to the expectation. If I had to pick one, the last one is my favorite. I have always wanted to capture a bolt over a city like that.
    Schmoo, just who do you think you are, a greek GOD?rolleyes1.gif

I agree with you though, I have always hoped for such an opportunity myself. Great images Jameswings.gif
  • Options
    emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    THat last one is breathtaking............they are all fabulous..the first is also such a strong picture........We get such wimpy storms here, alot of gusts, but not many bolts.......
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    These are wonderful

Great lightning shots

Fred
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited July 13, 2007
    James...

Wow. Awesome storm captures. :wow :jawdrop
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    bowdown.gif

The undisputed master.

I can't stop looking! WOWOWOOWOWWO
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    All are really nice. I go for #4, then #1. On #4, don't lighten it, but maybe try and bring some of the detail of the foreground buildings out of the shadows, just so they don't look quite as flat.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    jamesl wrote:
    My wife and I just returned from a vacation to Montana. I'm originally from there, and have always wanted to take pictures of some of the awesome storms that roll through the state in the summertime. Well, this year I finally got my chance:
    These first 3 shots were taken near Choteau, Montana (where Willie Nelson's big 4th of July concert was this year). I had been driving north following the Rocky Mountain front range when I saw these little storms. I setup my camera using my intervalometer and starting shooting:
    Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F5.0, 1/10 second
    Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F8.0, 1/4 second
    Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F8.0, 8/10 second
    After capturing these, the storm started moving off North East of me. I followed it for a while, and found this little farm to shoot as a foreground. The storm was really dieing by this point, but let off a few last bolts for me just as I was running out of space on my memory card:
    On the last evening of our trip, I was packing when this nice storm rolled through Great Falls at around 10 pm. I said to heck with packing, and headed out to a lookout over town to shoot some. Most of the good lightning was gone by then, but I did get one good shot:
    Canon 30D, 28-135 IS lens, F4.0, 2 seconds

Take care,
    James

Absolutely amazing James clap.gif
    I love to see images of Lightning, some of those bolts look a little too close for comfort though :uhoh

These are just beautiful my favourite is the first shot too nod.gif
    Thanks for sharing........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Absolutely beautiful, I particularly like the last one..

Thank you Tom! The funny thing about the last shot is that I didn't even know I'd captured it until I got home. I was packing up my bags, and my memory stick was almost full. I was sure happy to get home and see it during my review. clap.gif

James
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    schmooo wrote:

Thanks schmoo! :D I appreciate it. Pretty much everytime there is a good thunderstorm around here in Dallas, I try to get out and shoot it. Up there, though, you can see the storms from a long, long ways off. I bet that one was probably 50 miles away. It makes it much easier to shoot them.

James
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    LilleG wrote:
    Oooh, that #4 is nice! Love it!

Hi Lillie! Thanks. It was a fun shot to capture.

James
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    tobers wrote:
    Whoa!! #2 and #4 are totally superb. Very well done indeed!

#1 is also really cool, though I'd maybe try it in a more usual crop rather than a panorama as all the action is in the centre and the edges dont add much to the pic (in my uneducated amateur view of course!!).

Did you have the 30D on a tripod with remote release and mirror lockup just out of interest?

Tobers

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! thumb.gif I started out with a 3:2 crop, but the top and bottom of the image didn't add much to me. I decided on the paroramic crop to try and emphasize the bolt. I may go back and create a more normal crop as well. Especially for selling on my website. :D

James
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I love the last one over the city the best, but they really all are great.

Howdy Dee! Nice to see an old STFer. clap.gif Thanks for the comments. Glad you liked them.

James
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Wow!!!! Amazing! Fantastic captures! Thank you for sharing these...they're incredible! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    bowdown.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I just love the skies on the last show. Very powerful. All of them are pretty darn good!

Thanks! It is amazing how a lightning bolt can turn a boring sky into an amazing one. There can be so many different colors that come out.

James
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Fantastic shots! Wow. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif

Thank you Pete. Thanks for looking. :D

James
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    Phil U. wrote:
    Holy cow, that last one is incredible - love the cloud and the way the bolt comes out of the middle of it.

Howdy Phil! Thanks. Yup, I had that last one all planned out that way. ha ha. Pretty much luck of the draw with lightning photography like this. I will take it, though. :D

James
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    Schmoo, just who do you think you are, a greek GOD?rolleyes1.gif

I agree with you though, I have always hoped for such an opportunity myself. Great images Jameswings.gif

Hi Mark. Thanks a ton! I appreciate it. I try to jump on these types of opportunities whenever I can. Usually, though, I don't get so lucky. :D

Thanks for taking the time to look.

James