Storms in Montana

2»

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Great shots, James! I love them all, but the shot over Great Falls is simply incredible! I love the way the clouds are back-lit by the lightning, simply amazing!
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    emmalou wrote:
    THat last one is breathtaking............they are all fabulous..the first is also such a strong picture........We get such wimpy storms here, alot of gusts, but not many bolts.......

Howdy. Thanks! Where are you at that you get whimpy storms? Here in Texas, we get some great ones, but there is usually a lot of rain that makes for hard picture taking.

Take care,

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    These are wonderful

Great lightning shots

Fred

Hey Fred. Thanks a bunch! :D

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    James...

Wow. Awesome storm captures. :wow :jawdrop

Hi David. Thanks! I'm glad you liked them. thumb.gif

Take care,

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gif

The undisputed master.

I can't stop looking! WOWOWOOWOWWO

Definately not the master, but thanks for the comment. :D I've been waiting for a few years to get shots like these, so it's nice that all of the elements finally came together. clap.gif

Take care,

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    All are really nice. I go for #4, then #1. On #4, don't lighten it, but maybe try and bring some of the detail of the foreground buildings out of the shadows, just so they don't look quite as flat.

Howdy! Thanks for the ideas on that 4th picture. I agree, too. I tried bringing some of the shadow detail out, but I ended up with more noise than I wanted. I may go back and revisit it, though.

Thanks,

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Absolutely amazing James clap.gif
    I love to see images of Lightning, some of those bolts look a little too close for comfort though :uhoh

These are just beautiful my favourite is the first shot too nod.gif
    Thanks for sharing........ Skippy

Hi Skippy. How many sleeps till Montana? You never know, you may get a chance to shoot storms like this while you are up there. :D

A few were close. I opened up the cargo door on my mini van, and then put the camera under it to keep it out of the rain. The whole time I was shooting, I was sitting in the car making sure not to touch any metal. :D

Take care,

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Wow!!!! Amazing! Fantastic captures! Thank you for sharing these...they're incredible! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    bowdown.gif

Howdy David. Thanks! I hope you enjoy your trip up there in September. :D

James
    edited July 14, 2007
    moose135 wrote:
    Great shots, James! I love them all, but the shot over Great Falls is simply incredible! I love the way the clouds are back-lit by the lightning, simply amazing!

Thanks Moose. I can't wait to print it out and see how it looks. clap.gif

James
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Absolutely thrilling to look at! Almost as good as watching the real thing! If you added sound effects to this thread I could stay here for hours! rolleyes1.gif The colors in #1 are positively stunning. Thanks for sharing.....these are great! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Lightning
    I have dalup (out in the woods), to be truthful, I am picky as to which threads I open. Not enough time to look at them all. I come from the high plains also,so your title hooked me. When the first one opened I almost fell out of my chair.bowdown.gifwings.gif The second is as good and the last one was worth the wait.
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Number 4 and 6 are my favourite. The cloud in No. 6 really stands out from the back illumination from the bolt.

Cheers

-Dave-

www.mirkwoodcottage.typepad.com/davidjamesphotography
  • S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Frame that last one! Great capture!
    edited July 16, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Absolutely thrilling to look at! Almost as good as watching the real thing! If you added sound effects to this thread I could stay here for hours! rolleyes1.gif The colors in #1 are positively stunning. Thanks for sharing.....these are great! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Hi Saurora. Thank you! I'd definately add sound if I could. :D Some of those strikes were a little too close for comfort. Glad you enjoyed checking them out. thumb.gif

James
    edited July 16, 2007
    JGD wrote:
    I have dalup (out in the woods), to be truthful, I am picky as to which threads I open. Not enough time to look at them all. I come from the high plains also,so your title hooked me. When the first one opened I almost fell out of my chair.bowdown.gifwings.gif The second is as good and the last one was worth the wait.

Howdy JGD. I hope they didn't take too long to download via dialup. :D Where about on the high plains are your from? I love that whole area. From the mountains on the West side of Montana to the flat plains on the East. It is all beautiful. However, I don't miss the winters up there. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking!

James
    edited July 16, 2007
    Number 4 and 6 are my favourite. The cloud in No. 6 really stands out from the back illumination from the bolt.

Cheers

-Dave-

www.mirkwoodcottage.typepad.com/davidjamesphotography

Hey Dave. Thanks! That 6th shot was quite the lucky capture, as my memory stick was almost full and I was packing up for the night. wings.gif I'll take whatever I can get.

Take care,

James
    edited July 16, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    Frame that last one! Great capture!

Thanks! I'm actually working on framing them all. rolleyes1.gif My family up in Montana wants prints of them, so I'm trying to get them up on the website to I can send them off.

James