How are you all fairing?

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    My monitor is calibrated...
    Tentacion wrote:
    Example...I liked the "Behind Enemy Lines" photo....it looked GREAT with my Flat Monitor ...but when viewed with the other monitor.....IT was SOOOOO dark...I could hardly see that it was a man in the photo....I even upped the brightness....but to no avail....Makes ya think eh??
    Donna

but, despite all the adjustments I've made, I know my monitor runs a little dark. I could not see that it was a man in "Behind Enemy Lines" either, I even copied the photo over and opened it in photoshop, and pulled the levels all the way up, and it was still dark, but at least I could see it was a man.

I went to my other computer with a monitor that runs light, and it was STILL so dark, I couldn't see it was a man.

I wonder if the image wasn't processed so dark -- if it had been lighter, it would have had a greater impact?
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Hi Dee, exactly.

Everyone has a different monitor, and unless calibrated properly and I believe there is a link for this (which off the top of my head I don't know, I am sure with the puter experts that are involved in DGRIN they could give the correct "monitor" bar calibration level here for members to "fix" their monitors), the photos will not appear as good as someone who has a monitor that is for graphics and photo viewing, which thank goodness I have.

So my point being, perhaps some of these judges have an older monitor, or thier monitors are not calibrated properly....which could be the reason sometimes for the photos that are picked??? Who Knows...Laughing.gif

I just thought maybe this could be sort of an explanation, you know, "Food for Thought".
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Hi, This whole monitor thing drives me crazy. I think my shots look good, but when I stand up everything is too light! Or if it gets tilted back a little everything is too bright. I try to keep it at 90 degrees to the table, and hope that's right:D
    Although "Behind Enemy Lines" is a dark picture I could see it was a man. I thought the darkness was artistic license.

I like the contest. For LPS #1 Liquid Air asked me what I was trying to do which made me think about it. I decided that this was an opportunity to stretch and learn, and decided to do it for the year. So far, it's worked out well (of course I'd love to place in one of the semi-finals ). I've taken pictures I never would have taken outside the contest and am learning a lot. As for LPS#9 none of the shots I took were what I wanted them to be and rather than entering a shot I considered poor, I didn't enter.

Everone here is so open and warm even negative feedbacks are not mean or too harsh. So, Greens How am I fairing? Pretty Well!

I thought your entry was great. Interesting composition, beautiful colors, and I know how hard it is to get a decent shot of a black animal. I just thought your cat was annoyed, not oppressed.:D

Jill
    Jill
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Exactly what I was thinking
    JillG wrote:
    I've taken pictures I never would have taken outside the contest and am learning a lot.

I feel the same way exactly. I'm relatively new around here having started at LPS 8 and now wish that I had started in the first round. The 2 entries that I have submitted have been so far outside of my normal subjects that I probably never would have considered trying them but now that I have and I see the feedback on possible ways to improve, I can't wait to try similar projects.

I've pretty much been shooting abandoned dogs (photos of, not actually shooting - that would be bad) for the last couple of years to help animal shelters. DGrin, via both the contests and the assignments, has added a renewed drive to discover new subjects, creative outlets, and ways to look at things. I know that I have a long way to travel to reach the level of many on this board, but it is journey that I welcome with an open-mind and heart and I thank everyone here for that...(regardless of how much you trash my work :D).

As for the monitor issue... If you haven't already, I definitely recommend a colorimeter. I use Spyder2 and after I calibrate my laptop and my desktop, I can set them side-by-side and the image rendering is virtually identical. Of course this doesn't help with any other monitors but it is a start.
  • hurricanestevehurricanesteve Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Glad to have stirred up so much controversy...i've won something, no?

I fought with the light levels on the image for a while; I knew I was going to have trouble when I viewed the image on adobe gamma calibrated monitors (LCD & CRT) and non calibrated monitors (LCD & CRT). I adjusted until my two calibrated monitors put the image where I wanted it....the uncalibrated monitors were on either side (too light & too dark).

Not knowing what judges would be using meant I could be sunk by a too-dark image. The too-light version didn't have as much impact, so I didn't want to err that direction.

Very good shots this round; honor to be chosen/discussed.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Glad to have stirred up so much controversy...i've won something, no?

I fought with the light levels on the image for a while; I knew I was going to have trouble when I viewed the image on adobe gamma calibrated monitors (LCD & CRT) and non calibrated monitors (LCD & CRT). I adjusted until my two calibrated monitors put the image where I wanted it....the uncalibrated monitors were on either side (too light & too dark).

Not knowing what judges would be using meant I could be sunk by a too-dark image. The too-light version didn't have as much impact, so I didn't want to err that direction.

Very good shots this round; honor to be chosen/discussed.

When I saw your image on my uncalibrated LCD at work (which is how I saw it first), I thought your model was wearing a hat rather than a blindfold which, as you can imagine, took some of the punch out of it. I like the overall darkness of the image, but I feel that a few critical details were too difficult to resolve in the result. If it were shooting it, I would have but a tight spot on his face with the dual goal of getting a little separation between his hair and the background and bringing the blindfold up a stop or so above the tones in his shirt. Starting with this capture in post, I'd try just dodging his face, leaving the rest of the frame dark.

On a side note, I ran into the problem of monitor gamma in a big way with an image I submitted for an old dGrin challenge:
    124753659-M-1.jpg
    Depending on the monitor gamma, the shadow in the background goes from invisible to way too bright. I very carfully put that shadow where I wanted it on my calibrated monitor and then discovered that most people who view it don't see it the way I intended. I don't really have an answer for that other than this is a competion where the delivery medium is web display. As such, part of creating a good image is making sure is views well on a variety of displays. Is is actually similar to when I used to work on audio mastering and we had a special amplifier and speaker to simulate a car stereo. Everything that went out the door had to sound good on that system despite how bad it was.
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    It is my hope that you all are just too busy with life, making tons of great images, and hopefully making more money than you're spending on new accessories! I'd love to hear what this forum means to you. Is it a moderately entertaining pasttime, your main contact with the outside world, your means of inspiration, or are you just in it for the cash?

Emily

After having been totally consumed by the challenge of LPS from the beginning, I think that the last semi finals kinda knocked the wind out of my sails, so to speak. I find myself in a little bit of a different place now. Having met some awesome folks on this site, I am able to get more out of what I believe the challenge was created for - not necessarily to win, but to learn, grow and produce some wonderful shots that I definintely would never have taken. So, although it is very nice to win, it is also really cool to see what I have accomplished for myself.

I have had to let go of the last few rounds as "life" has had to take priority, but I am already stressing out/excited about the SF coming up. I suppose, in a twisted kind of way, it might be good to NOT get anywhere in the SF again, because that would just make me more determined to try harder. If I really want to do something, I usually ask someone to tell me that I can't do it - that's my sure-fire way to get it done! Who said I was stubborn? Oh, I did! :D
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    This forum is the BEST photography forum I've been a part of, and I look forward to at least checking out some pics each day. Life has definitely been in the way of me focusing much energy on LPS lately...I came down with walking pneumonia and I'm dealing with a family crisis which won't be over for awhile, so just getting something shot for my daily photo journal has become a big enough challenge itself! I feel I have learned a great deal here, and I've been inspired by many of the photographers...specifically photogmomma, to do a self-portrait-a-day project (which forces some learning to happen, for sure!). There is a wealth of information around here, and it's so nice to know I can tap into that when needed.

I have enjoyed watching LPS unfold, although I've had my frustrating moments. At this stage in my life, I think just shooting and seeing what fits the theme will have to suffice. Shooting specifically for the theme has not proven to be my strong suit (not that the other way has worked much better!) I'm all for growing and stretching, so it's nice that LPS is so long term to give us all a chance to do that.

I'm coming up on one year with Smugmug, and I'm seriously considering switching to a pro-account and attempting to start a mini-business...doing portraits and family shoots for friends and family, etc... I know that these considerations would not even be possible for me without Smugmug and DGrin!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • EpixpheresEpixpheres Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 27, 2007
    Hehe
    Well Em,

Not sure if you know me (Laughing.gif), and I have not posted a photo, let alone a message until now, but I come here to view my two wonderful sister's photo submissions. Granted I think I could do better (ya, right!), you.... I mean "my sisters" have faired well here in these forums and LPSs. That, and I love checking out the wonderful photography by all; getting new ideas all the time. One day, I too will join the club and actually submit a photo or two just for giggles!