Options

Here's the unofficial feedback thread for LPS 9--go nuts!

2»

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Originally Posted by Justiceiro
    Here are my thoughts:
    #58 My Pond

I don't think this shot fits the theme.
    Thanks for taking the time to give your input --the shot shows a grebe trying to kill another grebe for trying to get a meal in it's pond--to me --oppression ---Main Entry: op·pres·sion
    Function: noun
    Pronunciation: &-'pre-sh&n</I>
    1 a : unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power</I> </I>b : something that oppresses especially in being an unjust or excessive exercise of power</I> ,!!Maybe it would be better if I added some barbed wire :D </I>
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    jwear wrote:
    Originally Posted by Justiceiro
    Here are my thoughts:
    #58 My Pond

I don't think this shot fits the theme.
    Thanks for taking the time to give your input --the shot shows a grebe trying to kill another grebe for trying to get a meal in it's pond--to me --oppression ---Main Entry: op·pres·sion
    Function: noun
    Pronunciation: &-'pre-sh&n</I>
    1 a : unjust or cruel exercise of authority or power</I> </I>b : something that oppresses especially in being an unjust or excessive exercise of power</I> ,!!Maybe it would be better if I added some barbed wire :D </I>

OK. I don't know enough about birds to get that one. Sorry. That's why it needs barbed wire. Clearly.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    #14, Up Up & Away ... beautiful colors, and a great illustration as to the concept of freedom! Very lighthearted amid a sea of heavy contributions.

Thanks so much for the complimentary words. I'm glad you enjoyed the lightness (no pun intended this time) of it. I had some other ideas for oppression, but they started making me depressed and there were so many good pictures about oppression already, I wanted to try something else.
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Here are my thoughts:

#14- Up, Up and Away
    174903064-S.jpg
    This is a very pretty shot. The blues are vibrant, the orange balloon grabs the attention, the hand draws the viewrs gaze through the photo.

Thanks so much for the kind words and going the extra several miles by providing feedback to all our entries. I took me a couple of minutes just to delete all your other work!
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    OK. I don't know enough about birds to get that one. Sorry. That's why it needs barbed wire. Clearly.
    I understand Dgrimace is not a wildlife site as it once was but I do pride myself in getting the theme and I only have a split second to do that in most cases .The shots I see getting picked --theme headscratch.gifne_nau.gif we don't need no sticking theme . Thanks for taking your time to comment on the shots -but I work hard at the theme is my point --so next time I get wired deal.gif:D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    jwear wrote:
    I understand Dgrimace is not a wildlife site as it once was but I do pride myself in getting the theme and I only have a split second to do that in most cases .The shots I see getting picked --theme headscratch.gifne_nau.gif we don't need no sticking theme . Thanks for taking your time to comment on the shots -but I work hard at the theme is my point --so next time I get wired deal.gif:D

No offense was intended Jwear. I honestly had no idea what you were on about. But then again, I live in Jersey City. We got nothin' but pavement, and the only birds around are plastic owls and the hordes of pigeons that ignore them.:D

Occasionally, I think we ought to have a bit of explanation attached with the entries. It would really be a great help in interpreting them.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    Thanks so much for the kind words and going the extra several miles by providing feedback to all our entries. I took me a couple of minutes just to delete all your other work!

Well, I work hard at the shots I put in, and I think most other people do. Since I enter with no expectation of winning, I at the least want to get some feedback for what I have done. I can't really expect it, if I don't give it. Even if it's "I don't get this at all" its better than nothing. At least, for me it would be. That's what we are here for, right?
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    I'm playing along, but you know what? I'm still nervous and edgy.

For the love of the goddess, post the results dear Shay! I'm officially going nuts.

Ok, I just updated my post with feedback (post 2 on page 1)

Jesse
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:

For the love of the goddess, post the results dear Shay! I'm officially going nuts.

Jesse

WTH shay, it's 12:07 EST! Deadlines are deadlines! remember? :whiprolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    WTH shay, it's 12:07 EST! Deadlines are deadlines! remember? :whiprolleyes1.gif

Are the results supposed to be posted already??? I thought it wouldn't be until Wednesday.ne_nau.gif
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Debboggy wrote:
    Are the results supposed to be posted already??? I thought it wouldn't be until Wednesday.ne_nau.gif

24 hour turnaround....they're up now!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:

#48 Timeout: A Child's Dream, A Parent's Nightmare

The face of the child on the right is too blown out, and there is not enough detail in the table, it's like a giant white blob. This is a tough situation, because you have some very light bits, and very dark areas to shoot in as well. It's hard to do it without shooting an HDR, but next time, if it is RAW, you mgiht want to make two clones of the shot, with different exposure setting for the different areas, and then blend them in.

Thanks J for the critique. Your right on the table. In order to get the girls in motion, I had to overpower the backlit sunlight with a studio flash and reflector while also maintaining detail in the background. In hindsight, I would have used a darker cloth for the table but the white was all I had on hand. I appreciate the input - that is what this is all about.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Thanks Justiciero, Indie, Sherstone for your feedback and others for adding my image to your list. I really enjoy the feedback (good or bad!) and know how it feels to have "stuck your neck out" there and commented on the entire field, J. Good job and it's always interesting to read other's insights! Onward to the next challenge. I think I can handle Surf and Turf!!!! :ivar
  • Options
    explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    :)
    Justiceiro wrote:
    # 49 marriage
    175820391-S.jpg
    So which is it, oppresion or freedom? mwink.gif

exactly!
    :D
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    I had to take some time to look over the inputs, not being able to obsessively follow them over the weekend. Here are my to "12," keeping in mind that there were others that I consider fantastik photographs that I felt just didn't meet the theme as well. In order of post:

#2 tsk1979 "Second Skin" (because if've seen it.)
    #5 Visual Expressions "Red Pill Blue Pill" (I just can't be sure)
    #12 Tentation "Her Choice" (so mysterious)
    #14 Pat664422 " Up, Up and Away" (original, intentional)
    #16 Indiegirl "..can't find a better man.." (she could, but who will care enough to help?)
    #17 Eric&Susan "Freedom of the Open Road" (keep on keep on)
    #25 pyroPrints.com "Those...." (I know, I know)
    #28 Deboggy "The Escape" (somebody ssssstop me)
    #40 Agila "Freedom" (phenomenal)
    #52 saurora "ADOPTION (A lifesaving option)" (because my mother would agree!)
    #54 eoren1 "These Truths" (comes back to this document)
    #56 urbanaries "o p e n" (allow me some freedom to enjoy the moment)

....and I will spare you the conclusions of the data! Great job to everyone:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

That 46th one is for Shay.....thumb.gif
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    MadridMadrid Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    My thoughts on top 10 and 2 Runner Ups, no particular order or position.

Tentation, thank you so much for including my photo in your list. As I see from your own entry, you appreciate how oppressive the human mind can be. As far as technique, I am still learning since I am more of a Nature photographer.

Your entry is in my list of top 10 precisely by the characteristics you explained in one of your posts. I'm sorry I haven't post it, but the day after I took my entry photo, I injured my arm with lots of pain and I could mostly stay in bed medicated.

Marisa
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Here are my thoughts:
    #45 I know what it means to me. What does it mean to you?

I'm not feeling this photo at all. No real technical problems, I just don't think we are on the same page. But hey, that's the problem about "critiquing" aesthetics, innit?
    good comment - judging by the comments in this thread (of lack of) I was way off the mark.

in hindsight I would have named it 'lurking in the background' or 'Menace' because the real subject is the Naval boat in the background. Maybe it's too subtle or as I said before I was way off the mark.

DSC03044.jpg

cheers, I appreciate your time anyway.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2007
    I totally missed the relevance of the naval boat. I'm afraid that's my fualt, I should have looked more closely.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Some which appealed to me
    Don't have a top ten, too difficult, so giving feedback on pics which appealed to me.
    I know I am late to the party, but here it is, in order of appearance.
    #8 Vandana : Don' fence me in.
    Gives the idea of a Rebel wanting to break loose.The marks on the hands(are they real?) make this photo powerful.
    #11 tlee - Speak no evil
    Well the photo had a nice ring to it. but the photo is so alone. There is no supporting context. Its hard to explain, but looks as if something is lacking. A sealed mouth in isolation does not make that statement. So if there was something more, adding context to the photograph, it would have been great
    #13 Sherstone - Run for it
    Funny and nice lightweight shot.
    #16 indiegirl - Better man
    thumb.gif Fits the theme wonderfully, and loved it, even though I am not a great Sepia fan
    #20 imax - Caged
    Wonderful. Spot on expressions! Great lighting
    #25 Pyroprints - Liberty
    Great crisp clean shot! Even though its US specific, it speaks for itself, all the farts notwithstanding
    #29 Nikolai - Libertad
    Too much PP ruined the shot. ne_nau.gif Otherwise this is so great. Reminds me of those escape from USSR novels by Ludlum and clan
    #33 hurricanesteve - behind enemy lines
    Good one, but its more like torture. Opression is a more "mental" thing in my opinion. A mental opression photo speaks better than physical torture or opression.... Just my 2 cents
    #40 Agila - Freedom
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow One of the best shots I have seen to date
    #42 shatch - I can't breath
    Ha Ha rolleyes1.gif
    #47 drdane - Free at last
    Now this is freedom!
    #56 urbanaries - Open
    Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!
  • Options
    traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2007
    Thanks so much, indie, for keeping the community spirit alive.

And thanks to all who expressed comments about my shot - #53 - O Lord.... I knew it was a good shot (the best of three that I took) and that it had great ptential and also knew that some would have difficulty placing it with the theme although I did not given the obvious connection of freedom of religion for Jews at the western wall, but mostly the freedom of spirit required to pray in such an open and emotive manner.

All comments most appreciated and to those who took the time to comment on many shots - you definitely have far more free time than I, but I appreciate your efforts greatly...

regards...Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    I've been out of town, and had no access to the net until this evening. Thanks to everyone who posted their favorites, and feed back.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker