Options

Unofficial Feedback Thread for LPS 10

2»

Comments

• Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    181621011-M.jpg

Is it too late to post mine? I sware I had this on Monday, but that dang IE/Norton glitch kept crashing my Smug galleries and I was going nutso batso.

Here are my favs in L ---> R, Top to bottom order plus my eleven and twelve. My first pass had over 20, this is getting tougher each round.

Jesse
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    It is really humbling to me who thought when entering this board back in LPS6 that I was some really hot piece of $#%&, that I really have so, so much yet to learn!:wow

Aw, c'mon. You're a hot piece of &*%^* and you know it. You're, at the very least, FULL of it (she says with love).

Jesse
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Aw, c'mon. You're a hot piece of &*%^* and you know it. You're, at the very least, FULL of it (she says with love).

Jesse

I can FEEL the Love!!! Well, yes, I know it.... I'm both a .. as well as FULL of it too. It's very easy to tell the lovers in this group. You, Jesse, are certainly one of them.

Thanks for putting up your favorites. Your selections prove what a diverse group we have here. I'm not keeping track of them anymore, but you had at least one there that hadn't been selected by anyone yet, at least as I noticed.. As Shay was saying in the other thread, there are so many great photos that we want to include, but only 10 (or 12) can be selected!

(Additional comments by Chief Long Wind: I must say Indie, when I saw that one photo that you alone have selected, a great photo indeed, I said to myself that Indie is going to like that one! Just trust me on this that I'm telling the truth!)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Thanks Jesse (Indiegirl)...

Here are my favs in L ---> R, Top to bottom order plus my eleven and twelve. My first pass had over 20, this is getting tougher each round.

Jesse

Thanks for posting your top 12. I was beginning to feel a little disenchanted with LPS because I didn't get a single vote in the official judging after making 14 out of 21 unofficial lists (not that I was counting), but then you came along and put my Amber Waves in your upper left corner. Awesome! That means a lot to me. You've had nice things to say about all my shots since I started playing in LPS8. I guess we just like the same kinds of things.

The good news is that I was on vacation in Teton Valley, Idaho, for the last three LPS rounds. The bad news is that now I'm back home in Texas where it's hot and ..... photographically challenged.

Thanks to everyone who entered LPS10 and especially those who provided feedback. Your unofficial feedback has helped some of us hang in there...
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    #23 Paul Thomas McKee Beach Breakes at Nightfall

179623689-S.jpg

This is a fantastic shot. I love the way the lines of the surf and the rig for the parachute thing intersect. Good colors as well.

#24 Eoren1 awakening
    178356170-S.jpg

I dig it. I'm partial to these sorts of freaky disturbing sculpture shots. I particularly like the choice of tight DOF. Not sure how in theme it is.

#25 pyroprints- the hidden legacy of war

This one is very good. Perfectly fulfills the theme, and tells a story. I like the political angle of your photos very much. I would have prefered a land mine rather than a shell casing, but I understand that they can be hard to come by. Then again, you do live near Newark. Go down to the Brasilia grill in the Ironbound and ask for "Crazy Ze," He can supply all sorts of photo props.

#26 Robert- The Bog

This shot isn't doing much for me. The main subject is too centered, and the photo lacks dynamic energy. Also, I don't know what it is if I don't read your backstory. I prefer the backstory to come through the image. Maybe a lower to the earth perspective with some great desolate bog view would be better.

#27 dillpickle64- ..and hsi playmate is the sea
    179808782-S.jpg

I would prefer to see the kids face. I like the concentric rings around the subject, but the subject isn't really doing much. This photo needs action and narrative focus. DOF choice is good.

#28 Anwmn1 - In the absence of tide
    179838449-S.jpg

I like this shot. I usually detest "footprints in the sand" shots, but this one I like. The colors are bold and the image is sharp. The footprints are clean, and the sense of emptiness is palpable. One thing bugs me- I think this owuld have done better as a horizontal rather than vertical frame. I want to get the feeling of being crushed between earth and sky. I very much like the lines of the footprints. good composition.

#29 Mycaptures- Along a dusty road

179879924-S.jpg

The Malleus Photograficarium, or "the hammer of bad photographers", first published (surprisingly) in 1534, clearly defines the use of Sepia as "an Heresy of the highest order, as repugnant to the nostrills of oure Lorde as that foule beast selecktive colouring, or dutch calvinism." Nevertheless, as is well known, it does take note of a dispensation that allows for the limited use of this post processing technique in the presence of wheat or other flowering grasses, but only under the supervision of a duly licensed exorcist.

All kidding aside, the choice of sepia here is very evocative, as is the photo itself. I actually like the flare- the one thing about the lighting of the photo that I would like to see improved is higher detail in the right side. I'm also not sure if this would be considered "in theme" or not. This looks like it ought to be the cover photo of Penguin's laters edition of Kerouac, or something.

#30 Joel Delano - The land of birds

179641121-S-1.jpg

The fill light usage here (I am assuming you cranked that up in RAW) tends to obliterate the detail of the birds. I would process this a bit differently. Also, I would crop out much of the right side, and concentrate on the birds and the water. The birds on the lower left look interesting. Kudos for braving enormous piles of Guano to get this shot.

#31 Harleycowgirl -Sandcastle Architects
    179924635-S.jpg

Definitely fits the theme. I really like the soft focus sort of look of this shot. Maybe a tad of fill flash would look good, but then again, I'd have to see an alternate to judge. This is a great photo of kids, so I wouldn't mess with it much, except perhaps to get a touch more of the central kid's head in the frame. If these were my kids, I would hang this on the wall. I like the tight crop of the shot.

#32 Gundermann- On the run

Nice, rich colors on earth and sky. I wouldn't put the horizon in the dead center, however. I would make the grass more central as the subject.

#33 MAdrid- my favorit carpet
    180001043-S.jpg
    I like the crop, a great deal. The colors of the grass are really nice. The sky is a tad blown out. I would try to fix this post by taking the RAW, paying with the exposure levels, and layering. In situ, you can use a split ND filter. This is a good scene, but you have to save the sky detail to set off the grass.

#34 Tleee- Rocky Mountain High
    180115666-S.jpg

Wow. This is great. I can't remember if it is in the semis, but it should be. There is nothing I would change about this shot, except perhaps for dumping your body in the lake, returning to civilization Mr. Ripley style, and claiming it as my own work.

#35 Urbanaries- Bright Sunshiny day
    180160479-S.jpg

I find, in the main, wedding shots to be inapropriate for this sort of competition, as they are rahter customized for the people getting married, and I have to spend to much energy dealing with my own Portuguese wife to be really interested in the relationships of strangers (It's very difficult to pretend to like soccer, and hate Spain, but we all have our crosses to bear). This shot, is so damn cool that I would actually, to my own suprise, put it in my top 10. The pose is refreshing and interesting. The colors are rich and vivid. The subjects appear to be totally natural and actually interesting in a manner that is real but is hard to articulate.

#36 Quark- Surfing the world wide web

180188996-S-1.jpg

I'm not feeling this one. Why did you crop out the right corner of the computer? Interesting idea, but it just doesn't grab me.

#37 Gefillmore - Catfish Heaven

180245598-L.jpg
    I'm digging it. This photo is wierd and disturbing. I like the fog as fluffy cloud-heaven vibe. I also like the dreamscape-like color work on this shot. I would not be surprised to see a zombie like hand, presumably clutching some sort of seriously health challenged disconsalate catfish, to emerge from this lake. Why can't you eat the fish? Inquiring minds want to know.

#38 Corbosman - On their turf180259584-S-6.jpg

Outstanding. Your dedication to this contest is both impressive and disturbing. There is no way, regardless of the juiciness of the prizes dangled in our faces by Andy and Co., that I am going to get into the water with a shark. Not even for the I-Mac with the 350 inch screen.

Normally, I dislike subject centered shots. this subject, however, is so threatening and dominant that the center seems the appropriate place. Lighting is great. the only improvement I would suggest is that you should have attached a lazer to the forehead of the shark. Nothing is better than sharks with fricken' lazers on their heads. Is that too much to ask for?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:

#35 Urbanaries- Bright Sunshiny day

I find, in the main, wedding shots to be inapropriate for this sort of competition, as they are rahter customized for the people getting married, and I have to spend to much energy dealing with my own Portuguese wife to be really interested in the relationships of strangers (It's very difficult to pretend to like soccer, and hate Spain, but we all have our crosses to bear). This shot, is so damn cool that I would actually, to my own suprise, put it in my top 10. The pose is refreshing and interesting. The colors are rich and vivid. The subjects appear to be totally natural and actually interesting in a manner that is real but is hard to articulate.

Soooo....you hate it categorically, but then found yourself liking it, so do you hate yourself for liking it? rolleyes1.gif

I admit it, its lame to enter "work" shots. And honestly, the shot was an attempt to minimize their sizeable height differences in a portrait rather than an LPS entry. But it was better than anything I had shot specifically for LPS10, so killed two birds with that one! I readily assumed you'd bash it, but I'm relieved to see it had some universal appeal. :)

Again thanks for taking the time to offer your opinions!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Soooo....you hate it categorically, but then found yourself liking it, so do you hate yourself for liking it? rolleyes1.gif

Not at all. My opinion of myself remains at its usual lofty heights.

It isn't that I "categorically" hate anything. It is simply that I find a lot of photographers submitting "standards" in these categories, and at this level of the game, you really have to play up. Given the competition, a "standard" simply won't do. This shot, however, is not a standard. It's inventive and interesting. Given that this is a wedding shot, this is even, to my mind, more of an achievement, because it is difficult (though not impossible) to do anything in this field that hasn't already been done to death.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    181621011-M.jpg

Is it too late to post mine? I sware I had this on Monday, but that dang IE/Norton glitch kept crashing my Smug galleries and I was going nutso batso.

Jesse

Ok, where's the memo on how to do custom checkerboard favorite lists??? I feel like the last kid to get picked for dodgeball over here.headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Not at all. My opinion of myself remains at its usual lofty heights.

I like your style, Justin. Straight shooter all the way. thumb.gif

thanks for the positive feedback. although I readily admit I am not the first to attempt this shot/perspective. true originality is a rare occurence, in life as well as photography!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Ok, where's the memo on how to do custom checkerboard favorite lists??? I feel like the last kid to get picked for dodgeball over here.headscratch.gif

Me too. :help

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Me too. :help

Virginia

I use ACDSee's "Create Contact Sheet" Feature. But one could just as easily create one in Photoshop by just grabbing the photos, resizing/cropping and aranging them on the same image.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    #34 Tleee- Rocky Mountain High
    180115666-S.jpg

Wow. This is great. I can't remember if it is in the semis, but it should be. There is nothing I would change about this shot, except perhaps for dumping your body in the lake, returning to civilization Mr. Ripley style, and claiming it as my own work.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately this image did not make the judges' cut :cry.

However, I am getting closer with each challenge. Good luck to all the next round --and to the semi finalists this round as well:D.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    SeattleYatesSeattleYates Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I'm a real Johnny-come-lately to ths, but I'm reading (along with some REALLY nice photos in this thread) about a "next round" and "next time". I assume it is too late to enter LPS 10, and that you're talking about LPS 11? I've never entered my photos in a contest of any kind, and have been out of touch for many months until a few days ago. ne_nau.gif

Bottom line: When is the next opportunity to enter an LPS competition?
    Bruce Yates
    Seattle, WA

Canon 5D MkII and 1Ds MkII (used mostly underwater), 1D MkIII for topside

www.UnderwaterReflections.com (my Smugmug site, customized by DGrinner jerryr)

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. WC Fields
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I'm a real Johnny-come-lately to ths, but I'm reading (along with some REALLY nice photos in this thread) about a "next round" and "next time". I assume it is too late to enter LPS 10, and that you're talking about LPS 11? I've never entered my photos in a contest of any kind, and have been out of touch for many months until a few days ago. ne_nau.gif

Bottom line: When is the next opportunity to enter an LPS competition?

August 20th is the start of LPS11. In an unprecedented turn of events, we even know the theme, which is "Man or Machine". According to the mods, you can start photographing, but you can't enter until LPS11 officially starts.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section