Diary of an LPS Semi-Final Entry

13»

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nah, I'm good, thanks! My (only) left brain scans the universe for all possible directions, scan should be completed in exactly 10,000,000,000,198.76543 years, so everything is under control :D

Oh, you're a unibrain too? I'm from the other side. While you're scanning, I'm pondering a world without the color periwinkle.headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Day 4 & 5, 01:45 (I need to go to bed):

Spent yesterday finding shooting locations for the ideas I have.

As a first pass, I found Google Earth to be a pretty good source and a quick way to 'get around' from the comfort of my study and much cheaper than driving (in Europe gas is currently Eu 1.40 per litre, which is about USD 7.20 per gallon - a rip off).

After that, I headed out to a few locations to see whether they would work.

Spent today shooting. Some shots just for myself and some for the entry.

I don't have the shot yet, but I'm working on it.

One thing I did find was a good shot for QR #6 (angular or curvy):

20070811_Kinderdijk-3s.jpg

and I also headed out to Kinderdijk for the shots I wanted. In addition, I snapped off the shot that I had originally planned in the stroyboard I posted. This isn't for the semi-final entry and it's just an initial work up (needs a lot more sharpening and some local contrast adjustments), but to see how close I was to the original idea:

20070811_Kinderdijk-98s.jpg

The duck in the foreground was largely a big pain in the rear because he felt that his fishing was more important than my reflection and he kept swimming out and causing ripples in the water. However, when he was standing on the submerged boat mooring that he's on, it was perfect.

Anyway, more shooting tomorrow (actually later today).

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Day 4 & 5, 01:45 (I need to go to bed):

Spent yesterday finding shooting locations for the ideas I have.

As a first pass, I found Google Earth to be a pretty good source and a quick way to 'get around' from the comfort of my study and much cheaper than driving (in Europe gas is currently Eu 1.40 per litre, which is about USD 7.20 per gallon - a rip off).

After that, I headed out to a few locations to see whether they would work.

Spent today shooting. Some shots just for myself and some for the entry.

I don't have the shot yet, but I'm working on it.

One thing I did find was a good shot for QR #6 (angular or curvy):

and I also headed out to Kinderdijk for the shots I wanted. In addition, I snapped off the shot that I had originally planned in the stroyboard I posted. This isn't for the semi-final entry and it's just an initial work up (needs a lot more sharpening and some local contrast adjustments), but to see how close I was to the original idea:

The duck in the foreground was largely a big pain in the rear because he felt that his fishing was more important than my reflection and he kept swimming out and causing ripples in the water. However, when he was standing on the submerged boat mooring that he's on, it was perfect.

Anyway, more shooting tomorrow (actually later today).

Regards,

Peter

Good grief, Peter! I am feeling woefully inadequate! These two shots are stunning to me and I'd be thrilled to have them in my portfolio. I'm kinda relieved I'm not in this SF! OK...rather than feeling inadequate, I choose to feel inspired! Actually, I am quite inspired to see how much work people put into this in order to capture a winning shot! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited August 12, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Good grief, Peter! I am feeling woefully inadequate! These two shots are stunning to me and I'd be thrilled to have them in my portfolio. I'm kinda relieved I'm not in this SF! OK...rather than feeling inadequate, I choose to feel inspired! Actually, I am quite inspired to see how much work people put into this in order to capture a winning shot! clap.gif

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the nice critique.

Don't get me wrong. I also think they are nice pcitures, but in my opinion, that doesn't make them fit as entries for the semi-final, or perhaps even for a qualifying round.

Particularly in the semi-final, it's expected that all the photos will be good, so simply having a picture that is a good capture isn't enough. It has to have something more than that. These are both good, but they aren't what I'm looking for in my submission.

Regards,

Peter
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    I think the one with the windmills is just gorgeous and definitely has a special feel to it. The duck in the water and the birds in the air make it awesome. I typially don't put other people's images on my walls (only so much space, so my family shots come first), but this one I would. It takes me to a place I want to be.

Good luck with finding the image you feel is "the one". I have every confidence in you!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Awesome Great shot of those windmills, do agree about the contrast addition, I would love to see some HDR in those clouds...those clouds are subtle yet powerful in your composition. I like how the bird draws my eye in, and then how the windmills make my eyes follow all the way down and out.

Did you use Aperture or Shutter priority here...and if aperture what Fstop did you utilize, Auto or Manual Focus, and what ISO? If you don't mind me asking...

Thanks for Sharing...again Awesome
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 12, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Awesome Great shot of those windmills, do agree about the contrast addition, I would love to see some HDR in those clouds...those clouds are subtle yet powerful in your composition. I like how the bird draws my eye in, and then how the windmills make my eyes follow all the way down and out.

Did you use Aperture or Shutter priority here...and if aperture what Fstop did you utilize, Auto or Manual Focus, and what ISO? If you don't mind me asking...

Thanks for Sharing...again Awesome

Thanks.

It was f/8 and 1/80 @ ISO 400 in aperture priority. The file has the exif embedded if you want anymore that I haven't given here.

I generally always focus manually.

I've now reprocessed the file and finished it off completely and the more I look at it, the more I like it.

So now, it's in my list of possible entries.

Regards,

Peter
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    I agree, the windmill shot even as it was would be a great entry. It so many elements, the birds in the air, the little duck... very nice.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    ... So, while I'm open to capturing that lucky moment, I'm not relying on it to produce a winning photo - that takes planning and preparation, especially for me because I think I'm visually illiterate.

Regards,

Peter

This coming from someone who makes temporary roofing look like a space ship come to abduct us all.

Plus your windmill image and preliminary story boarding are far from visually illiterate.

This has been a very interesting read, thanks!
    edited August 13, 2007
    Day 6 and 7; 12:45

Ok, we are in to the second week (time I started to panic).

I had planned to re-shoot a few shots yesterday, but it didn't work out that way. Ended up doing nothing but some post-processing.

So this week I'm back at work and already feeling that I don't have the time to get the shot I want.

I have one particular image that I'm hoping to do, but my wife has said no way she is going to model for me.

Might take a few days of me doing the housework, making dinner and I think I'll throw in a couple of bunches of flowers (the things we do for DGrin...:D). My wife (who's a former life-guard on Sydney beaches) hates sand, so she doesn't want to be involved because the shot involves our local beach.

Ah well, might have to re-think it and shoot it in one of my kids bedrooms and just transfer the idea to a new setting (but same message).

So, I'm going to keep working on my wife and also take a look at my earlier ideas to see if I can come up with something else.

So far though I have 3 potential entries, which now includes the windmills shot (on page 7 of this thread) re-processed to what I'm happy with.

I'll keep you posted on how many times my wife says no this week.

Regards,

Peter
    edited August 13, 2007
    Day 7; 23:30

One of the things I said I was going to do at the start of the semi was not only play it safe, but also experiment or stretch myself a bit.

I typically like bold color in my images, but this is over the top even for me.

Just playing around seeing if I can find something I like. I had no other real strong plan for today, so I don't mind this diversion at all.

Taken under the National Architecture Institute in Rotterdam (I might have overcooked the saturation a tad, or a lot):

20070813_NAI-5-1.jpg

Regards,

Peter
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Wow
    At least someone isn't hurting for options. I love color and this looks great on my CRT, but I guess there is the possibility on an LCD the colors might look extreme. I like this... it's almost like abtract architecture and a kaleidoscope at the same time.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Day 7; 23:30
    One of the things I said I was going to do at the start of the semi was not only play it safe, but also experiment or stretch myself a bit. ...Taken under the National Architecture Institute in Rotterdam (I might have overcooked the saturation a tad, or a lot):

Wow, that's really interesting... I shot around 500 photos Sunday, maybe 2 or 3 LPS SF2 possibilities. The others were just for fun! Finally got some sun!

Oh, I should say that I actually planned getting shots at the first place I went to. We left my town in fog... which I was OK with, but by the time we got to our destination, the sun was out! Oh well... it worked out O.K. and I had some beautiful light, but not quite the light I was looking for.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    I love color, and I have to say...I LOVE that photo....On my monitor it looks Stunning..Simple yet Beautiful !!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Dang, Peter! Looking at your work and what's been put up in the entry thread so far makes me glad I didn't make the semi and can relax a little. WOW! Beautiful creativity!clap.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    I like those colors, but you can't go by my, I like over the top.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited August 15, 2007
    Day 8 & 9; 19:15

On my original plan I had set aside yesterday and today for completing processing and working on some new photo ideas to shoot this weekend.

Lucky I hadn't planned to shoot any of my ideas because normal life took over. Jumped across the channel for a trip for work and luckily that takes me near to Salisbury.

Had my D70 instead of the D200, but I was able to snap off another shot of this place (this one is an older photo):

StoneHenge-005b.jpg

I took a few shots from almost exactly the same location (and others), but I don't really think any of the new shots are a semi-final contender (although they are similar to this).

Anyway, back on track. The trip allowed me to finish off the post-processing of my shots from last week and I think I found an advantage in shooting early.

Having done some initial processing before and then also some final processing I was able to just leave the images alone for a couple of days and then come back to them with fresh eyes. Instantly I saw things that I thought I could finish off better, so I re-processed some shots.

That's something I won't have the luxury of doing this weekend because of the deadline, but I think for future qualifying rounds, I'll try to take a similar approach - shoot early, process, leave for a few days and then take a fresh look.

So I'm currently on plan, but still not sure that I have anything good enough for the top ten (and certainly not for the public vote). Ah well, a few days of panic left.

Regards,

Peter
    edited August 16, 2007
    Day 10; 20:00

With just 3 days left, I've been panicking all day wondering if I can get the shot I want (my wife is still saying no to posing for me; and she wouldn't even be the main subject).

Having been through all the images I currently have, my wife and friends all say that the windmill shot is the one they like the most.

So, since I have been placed on a mission leaving anytime between Saturday and Tuesday (and lasting for 6 weeks in the middle of nowhere), I'm going to post the shot as my entry and then hopefully I won't leave until after the weekend, in which case I might be able to change it.

Regards,

Peter
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    ....my wife is still saying no...
    Story of my life lol3.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Story of my life lol3.gif

:D:D:D Yep, that too
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Nice Entry!!
    Your entry is beautifil!

The surrreaility is that the flying birds have no reflection in the channel...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 16, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Your entry is beautifil!

The surrreaility is that the flying birds have no reflection in the channel...

Yeah. There was a fair bit of cleanup work involved in the water. I'll take another look and see if I can put the spots back without it being distracting, although havimng looked much closer, I'm not sure that the spots result from the birds anyway (which are actually quite some distance away). So I'm happy with the way it is and it cerainly looks natural to the way I saw it at the time, but after the voting, I'll post the original for comparison.

Regards,

Peter
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Mix It Up

Anyway, back on track. The trip allowed me to finish off the post-processing of my shots from last week and I think I found an advantage in shooting early.

Having done some initial processing before and then also some final processing I was able to just leave the images alone for a couple of days and then come back to them with fresh eyes. Instantly I saw things that I thought I could finish off better, so I re-processed some shots.

That's something I won't have the luxury of doing this weekend because of the deadline, but I think for future qualifying rounds, I'll try to take a similar approach - shoot early, process, leave for a few days and then take a fresh look.
    Peter,

Like the shot...

Have you tried Channel Mixer - mixing all channels about 22% - to provide a Velvia touch to the image? I think it would both add some saturation, bring out grass highlights, and pop those pink clouds a bit for special emphasis... put the emphasis on the right syllables!

I have those steps as an action from one of our camera club gurus...

As to letting 'em sit, I always get more out of the post processing after my mind has cleared from the job simply working in CS3 calls for.

Good Luck
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Yeah. There was a fair bit of cleanup work involved in the water. I'll take another look and see if I can put the spots back without it being distracting

I don't at all say that you need to put the reflection of the birds in there at all. I think it sort of adds to the photo's impact that they're missing... But there's no doubt to me that the water would have reflected the birds, as long as it was mirror smooth enough.They would have been about where the single bird's reflection now is.

I have a water jump that I shoot at a horse show here, and often I have to clean some distraction off the hill on the other side. When I do that, I often have to clean the reflection of that distraction out of the water.... I have a before/after in the Wallopin' Post..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 17, 2007
    Mixing It Up - II
    Peter
    Kinderdijk
    Peter,

A friend did the Orlando Epson Training course last week... among other things, he learned women see color nearlly 20 times better than men.

Now I know to always ask the gals about/before submissions...

I took your original and used the Channel Mixer on it with no other changes. After copying your image, I pasted it into CS3, did channel mixer, then dialed the Opacity to choose each 'Velvia touch'. This way, you get to "roll your own..."

For me, its a toss up; about 50% opacity seems to fit my 1/20th of an eye male ability... let me know what your wife sez!
    Joe

[/FONT]
    edited August 17, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Peter,

A friend did the Orlando Epson Training course last week... among other things, he learned women see color nearlly 20 times better than men.

Now I know to always ask the gals about/before submissions...

I took your original and used the Channel Mixer on it with no other changes. After copying your image, I pasted it into CS3, did channel mixer, then dialed the Opacity to choose each 'Velvia touch'. This way, you get to "roll your own..."

For me, its a toss up; about 50% opacity seems to fit my 1/20th of an eye male ability... let me know what your wife sez!

Thanks BistiArt,

This looks like the original I posted to this thread and not the version I posted as the entry, which was processed more (the one here on page 7 was only a very quick workup to post in this diary thread).

So thanks for showing me another technique I can work with. I'm always looking to try different workflow techniques and figure out what situations they might be useful in.

In the one I posted to the semi-final I used different techniques to bring out substantially more detail in the cloud and grasses and cleaned it up a bit more. So, I think I'll play around with it a little more yet, but the version in the entry thread I think is a substantial improvement over what is earlier in this thread. I hope you think so as well.

Regards,

Peter
    edited August 17, 2007
    Day 11; 19:50

Woo hoo, found out today that I won't be leaving for the end of the earth until early Tuesday morning. That means:

1. I still have the weekend to keep shooting for SF2; and
    2. I'll have exactly 25 hours to get my shot in for QR #11.

So, with Formula 1 racing coming to Rotterdam this weekend and with an international fireworks competition in The Hague (really Scheveningen, but I can't even say that properly) this weekend, I have a couple of events that might turn out OK for opportunities.

I'm not a huge fan of fireworks photos. To me they are pretty, but nothing special. But there is likely to be around 100,000 people there, and that is very much up my alley in terms of normal photography subjects.

Sunday, the F1 will be similar, but I think that might actually be an opportunity to snap off a shot for QR #11 more than the semi.

After that, it's off to nowhere and I don't even know if I'll find out how I ended up in the semi until I get back on 4 October. So definitely QR 12 and 13 are out of the question (so I hope QR 14 is a good theme).

Anyway, with an entry submitted, I'm really looking forward to shooting this weekend and feel like I'm full of ideas; so hopefully something will come of it (might result in a late poll of several alternative images to submit to the semi).

I must say, even at this point, that reaching the semi-final has been great. My personal gallery has been so refreshed by the shooting, even though much of it has been for personal purposes anyway.

I'm not normally into landscape or wildlife images, so even the Kinderdijk (windmills) image that I've so far submitted in the semi is out of my normal comfort zone (which is much more relaxed with abstract, street and architecture images). I have shot a lot at Kinderdijk in the past, but that's mainly for other people, not myself.

As a result, if there is anything I can say about LPS it's that, as far as it goes for me (now that I am seriously attmepting to enter), it is definitely hitting it's aim and challenging me to expand my ability to create images.

Regards,

Peter

PS. Too good to be shooting tonight, so out enjoying it instead (hey, this doesn't make much sense, because I have my camera):

Bar1.jpg
    edited August 17, 2007
    Landlubbers Lament
    In the one I posted to the semi-final I used different techniques to bring out substantially more detail in the cloud and grasses and cleaned it up a bit more. So, I think I'll play around with it a little more yet, but the version in the entry thread I think is a substantial improvement over what is earlier in this thread. I hope you think so as well.

Peter,

What I like about the Channel Mixer is that it takes the raw file and works on all colors the same... so, I am not baising particular colors!

Then I decide what I want to see based on the eyes memory, not the cameras limitations, and Viola...

I started with the image in this thread vice that of an cherished entry.

Living in the mountains, I dont get to see the sort of simplicity and beauty your windmills have. The balance of birds in the sky and one on the water is offset by clouds, their reflections, and rich colors...
    Joe

[/FONT]