Options

40D is up

124»

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    OK, so this thread dates back to August, 2007, but I just got my first brand new camera, ... a Canon 40D.
    That's right, my very first brand new dSLR, ever!
    Congrats! clap.gif WTG!
    Very glad for you! It's a very sweet body, esp. if you didn't upgrade for a while. It took me some time to learn the new features, but man, were they worth my time! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    OK, so this thread dates back to August, 2007, but I just got my first brand new camera, ... a Canon 40D.

WooHoo, this thing is great! One of the first tests I did was to test autofocus. I used a Sigma 50-500mm, f/4-6.3 EX APO HSM (not DG) at 500mm and f6.3, in a dark bedroom, with a single window light but indirectly lit corner. I was able to consistantly achieve focus lock using the center focus dot and a not so great stuffed animal target/subject.

I mean, even the Canon 1D MKII has about the same speed and success as the 40D in the same test, so pretty darned good.

Canon 50mm, f1.4 had no problem whatsoever, of course.

I am impressed with all the new features and can see the use for the live image view in a studio setting.

Lots to learn. I'll probably have some questions. Maybe a few shots. mwink.gif

Congratulations Ziggy clap.gif :ivar you'll love the Canon 40D
    It focus's much faster than the 20D, that was the first thing I noticed.

I must confess I haven't had a lot of time to use it,
    in the middle of doing renovations .... but they will be finished with in a few more weeks, then I will have time to go shooting.

All the best with the learning curve Ziggy thumb.gif .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

WooHoo, this thing is great! One of the first tests I did was to test autofocus. I used a Sigma 50-500mm, f/4-6.3 EX APO HSM (not DG) at 500mm and f6.3, in a dark bedroom, with a single window light but indirectly lit corner. I was able to consistantly achieve focus lock using the center focus dot and a not so great stuffed animal target/subject.

I mean, even the Canon 1D MKII has about the same speed and success as the 40D in the same test, so pretty darned good.

Canon 50mm, f1.4 had no problem whatsoever, of course.

I am impressed with all the new features and can see the use for the live image view in a studio setting.

Lots to learn. I'll probably have some questions. Maybe a few shots. mwink.gif

Congratulations clap.gif !

I moved up from the 20D in September. The colors, and quality difference between it and the 20D are amazing. I wasn't sure that I really needed to make the move up, but boy am I glad that I did!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Congratulations, Ziggy. I moved up from a Rebel XT, so of course I feel like a mad scientist. It's a beautifully engineered piece of equipment, isn't it? Many happy snaps.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I moved up from the 20D in September. The colors, and quality difference between it and the 20D are amazing.
    So glad to hear that! I just sold my 1D Mark II to get a 40D. Lots of reasons (and an awful lot of asking myself if it was the right thing to do) for it and I'm still surprised I actually did it. I have yet to put it through any serious paces yet.

I'm going to be very happy with a smaller, lighter camera body, the integrated sensor cleaning, a return to a pop-up flash (hey, sometimes its handy to not whip out a 580EX). And I'm expecting/hoping for better high-ISO noise.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    OK you all, now just stop!:thwak

For several months have watched all the Canon vs Nikon threads, PMA someday new equipment speculation (5D MkII, 6D?), looked at the 1D & 1Ds MkIII reviews, even considered buying a crop + 300/400 for 'extra reach'.

All the while with a "I don't care" grin on my face blbl.gif as I caressed and loved my almost 2 year old 5Dbiggrinbounce2.gif

But if you keep this up, I may just have to get me one of those new fangled 40Ds!
    Now if I can just get claudermilk to pay for it....
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Yay! Congrats, Ziggy! It IS so much fun to use. Happy clicking!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    OK you all, now just stop!:thwak

For several months have watched all the Canon vs Nikon threads, PMA someday new equipment speculation (5D MkII, 6D?), looked at the 1D & 1Ds MkIII reviews, even considered buying a crop + 300/400 for 'extra reach'.

All the while with a "I don't care" grin on my face blbl.gif as I caressed and loved my almost 2 year old 5Dbiggrinbounce2.gif

But if you keep this up, I may just have to get me one of those new fangled 40Ds!
    Now if I can just get claudermilk to pay for it....
    I predict there gonna be 6D=5DMarkII this year, so you may as well wait a few more months...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I predict there gonna be 6D=5DMarkII this year, so you may as well wait a few more months...mwink.gif

Oh, I don't plan to replace my existing one. Love it. I've been able to ignore all the noise because I am very satisfied.
    iloveyou.gif

Until I made this post in October about a telephoto prime. And LiquidAir put the idea of a 40D and different lens in my head to get the reach I want, keep it fast, and seriously save some $$. Plus I get a 2nd body!

Skip Chris, maybe I should get Liquid to pay for it. naughty.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Congratulations ziggy! I think you will love it!

My absolute most favorite thing about the 40D is...... since I have had it I have not had to deal with dust on the sensor even once. With my 30D I was having to clean it at least once a month sometimes more depending on how often I changed my lenses. Yes I always hold the camera body down, - I switch methodically and try my best to avoid doing it in a breeze or even outdoors if at all possible but I still had to clean it.

Now I am totally amazed at how well the cleaning function works! I still practice safe lens changing but I am less concerned about dust now.

Now go have some dust free fun!
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Congrats Ziggy!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Great minds think alike. I did very similar tests myself across the dining room and into the kitchen. I was really impressed as I needed a 2s exposure (ISO 400) it was so dark. I'm also really impressed with the quality of the image at f/6.3, much better than with the 350d

Enjoy your new toy! wings.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Awesome, Ziggy! I've got my eye on the 40D, too... hopefully before the shootout this year. Congrats!
    Chris
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 14, 2008
    An early image from the Canon 40D. This is with a Canon 50mm, f1.4. Dreary day, ISO 400, 1/250th, f5.6. Some minimal post work, mostly to add a little red and green saturation and take a little magenta away. Nothing too special in the subject, but very sharp.

Full size here (almost 7 meg file):
    http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/243226236-O.jpg

243226236-L.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

That's right, my very first brand new dSLR, ever! Lots to learn. I'll probably have some questions. Maybe a few shots. mwink.gif

OK Ziggy. You have had this baby for almost 2 weeks. Any comments/feedback besides your first posts?
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 22, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    OK Ziggy. You have had this baby for almost 2 weeks. Any comments/feedback besides your first posts?

I am loving it!

The live view is just what I thought it would be, and I would find it useful for product and other still-life photography. The ability to magnify the view for focus confirmation and tweaking is very comforting.

Autofocus is fast and pretty accurate. About a week ago I was playing with AI-Servo and I was very impressed with BIF.

High-ISO noise reduction is the real deal and JPGs up to ISO 1600 are very usable. I haven't done more than a few snaps at ISO 3200, so I can't comment on that yet. Noise levels, even without the noise reduction, are very well controlled.

One thing that kind of surprised me was that the CF card is not registered after insertion. It looks like the card gets registered when the camera is booting instead. It's still fast to boot, but I do wonder why the designers chose that method.

The controls layout is very nice and I like the combination of 2 dials plus a joystick. Some selections are optionally selected by multiple means, so you can develop a style to suit yourself.

The viewfinder is bright and large, more similar to the 1D viewfinders.

I have done some field lens changes and the dust reduction system seems to be working, as in no visible dust even with some small apertures.

Battery life is wonderful, but I haven't tested to depletion. At this point, I probably won't need the vertical grip for power, except that I do like a vertical grip for better grab and better vertical function.

Sorry to ramble but those are off-the-cuff impressions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums