Sign me up... I made KPOTD!!!

2»

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    I have pics for every occasion. But thanks, Johno, for the encouragement. But, heherolleyes1.gif everyone knows these challenges are biased and rigged.:D

I need a generic story, so I can send my gazillion pics to that place. Someone help me with that.

Really congrats with that win, that is an awesome photo, johno! Sometimes it has happened to me, well, just last Sunday, I took a good photo, 24 hrs too soon. If there had been an appropriate challenge at the time you took that photo, and same with Nir, you probably would have won.clap.gif

I am getting a handle on the fact that minimalism is not what I thought it was. I don't have any photos for that, I mean, the examples are awesome, but my mind does not think that way. That is the next challenge.

Just chattering.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 26, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Angelo! "SHE"?! I guess it's the photo in the avatar - 'Sarah of Dingle', taken in Ireland November 2003. Technicaly sucks and not worthy of display bigger than an avatar but one of my favorites ever!

My announcement here
    Oh Lord! That's the second time this week I've made that mistake! Nir, firstly, congratulations on your POTD win and secondly I offer my apologies for the gender bender comment.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 26, 2005
    Laughing.gif Ginger...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Fish, I hope you mean me in the other one, if not it is 3, and I need a "mad" icon.

I even sent in my last hope, my photo of Bill. That was last week. Right before all these people got all those e-mails of excellence.

I am considering a black space for an avatar...........

I would inundate them with photos, but I hate writing those "stories". I don't mind telling where, but why I think the photo fits the category. I want to scream, "ALL I WANT IS A KPOTD, please, pretty please" "I am from dgrin, I know Andy, you know ANDY, he is "famous" in photography and has won lots of KPOTDs. Well, I know him.".

That is all I can really think to tell them. Except I could also list all the people here who I know who have these things.

I would send in more if it weren't for the stories. As it is..........well, I thought the pelicans were good. Some people liked the photo of Bill. Maybe now they want bright and cheerful. I can go find bright and cheerful. People are more difficult because of the releases, but I can use my grandkids.

Fish, maybe you and I are a member of some superior club and our photography is just tooo good. :cry :cry :cry

I must say, though, Johno, that was a very good shot from Africa, and Nir, I know he works at it, and that is a nice cheerful kid shot. I even like it.

Cheers, fish
    What a hoot rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I laughed my large behind off (don't I wish?) at your "I am considering a black space for an avatar..........." comment :lol :lol Tooooo funny!!

Your first mistake was telling the KPOTD folks that you know Andy :lol4 J/K Just keep shooting and submitting and before you know it, you'll be sitting there with multiple KPOTD's mwink.gif

Personally, I'd rather win the Lottery than a KPOTD lol3.gif I have to admit, the POTD odds are probably much better though...lol Of course, just like the Lottry, you've got to buy a ticket (or, in this case, send in an pic) to be eligible to win mwink.gif You do have their right address, don't you?

Thanks for the morning smiles,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Congrats!!!
    Way to go, Johno! That photo is amazing...wonderfully captured with the baby looking right at you! Easy to see why it made the 'A' List. Congrats, and we'll be watching for it~ (you might even get some NY dginners to take a pic of it for ya, if you ask them nicely :D )

Ginger...I'm another one here who's never gotten a KPOTD (sigh). Don't know if I ever will, (I see to be "always a bridesmaid...never the bride", Laughing.gif! But hey, watching the ceremony and joining in the celebration is still kinda fun!) Keep plugging away...as others have said, your day will come!

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    What a fabulous shot! Great composition and I love the contrast of the child's dark skin against the bright colours. I also like the emotion you get from going happy to seeing all the colours, then sad when you focus in on the child's worried eyes.

Great work and congratulations! thumb.gif

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Congrats, and we'll be watching for it~ (you might even get some NY dginners to take a pic of it for ya, if you ask them nicely :D
    That would be GREAT! Good idea. I'll have to check bio's and see who might help me.

thanks for the idea.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Awesome pic.thumb.gifthumb.gif

You must have some wonderful stories to share from your time there.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    johno, what were you doing in africa? Was it an assignment or pleasure?

are you going back?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    johno, what were you doing in africa? Was it an assignment or pleasure?

are you going back?

ginger

Well, in real life I'm a youth minister in the Northwest... I work with youth in Canada, and the Western States. 14 years ago a youth camp began here in the NW. Faith Quest has been working with many young people for some time. One of those students became a missionary in Uganda, Africa and saw the need for young people to experience a similar "camp" like setting. So, a core group of 5 left our families to work with local leader and other missionaries to host 400 teens for a week of camp.

It was awesome, Faith Quest Uganda was something these young people had never had before.

Among those attending FQU was a student named Samuel, who lost on of his legs 10 years ago... Many US teens have given lots of financial support to help Samuel survive, we went to his village to bring him to the youth camp. He was amazed. American coming to see him. He stayed with us as we went to local hospitals and other places to help translate.

Samuel and Johnathan
    samuel-small.jpg

I was to return this last January, however, my schedule did not allow it. My plan is to return next January.

There are so many stories. Not enough time. Thanks so much.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited February 27, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Awesome pic.thumb.gifthumb.gif

You must have some wonderful stories to share from your time there.

You can't imagine the stories. I posted a short one for Ginger. Samuel is a neat kid.

The baby girl in the KPOTD parents wanted to give her to the local church. The local church could not take her, but promised to help teach the parents some skill to provide for themselves and the baby. A team went over last month... I didn't get to go this year. I am curious if this family is still around.

There are hours of stories... Thanks so much.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Wonder shot,nice comp. and nice use of color. I know you have to have more keepem comming.
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Congratulations Johno, wonderful colours, it'll look fantastic up on the screen!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Congrats on the POD, very nice shot.
  • VivianGVivianG Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Congratulations!!!
    What a wonderfule shot, what a beautiful child. Congrats!!!