Wow- New Look Control Panel !!

carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited September 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Just went to my control panel and it has a whole new look - Is this brand new or am I behind the times ?? What ever, very nice, thanks Smugmug:D

Caroline
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Hi Caroline wave.gif C/P is smoooooth

Andy wrote:
    Release notes blog updated thumb.gif

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/

And we hope to keep it fresh now, every time we make an update deal.gif
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Cool, it must have just been rolled out, because it wasn't that way this morning.

Good job thumb.gifthumb

Andrew
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    Cool, it must have just been rolled out, because it wasn't that way this morning.

Good job thumb.gifthumb

Andrew

You noticed! iloveyou.gif

We made some other changes tonight as well, so keep an eye on our Release Notes . An update will be coming soon. deal.gif

-Anne
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Hi Anne,

I only noticed because I was bored at work and was fiddling with my site ... mwink.gif

Hope everything is going well with you. I love the recipes you posted the other day too ! clap.gif

Andrew
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 5, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    Hi Anne,

I only noticed because I was bored at work and was fiddling with my site ... mwink.gif

Hope everything is going well with you. I love the recipes you posted the other day too ! clap.gif

Andrew

yo Andew..

what photographing bikini-clad models getting you bored these days :D

We should catch up for a beer at some point.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Just went to my control panel and it has a whole new look - Is this brand new or am I behind the times ?? What ever, very nice, thanks Smugmug:D

Caroline

me too also as well included!

That;s MUCH better!:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • GargaGarga Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Its awesome! Great stuff. mwink.gif
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    wooo just saw it myself and its awesome! I missed the released notice though ne_nau.gif

but love it iloveyou.gif thanks clap.gif

ahh ok - see the section now.

loved it when I first saw it but wondered where the note or message was - thought, well hoped it just wasn't a funky glitch as it was so much nicer!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    kp-pix wrote:
    wooo just saw it myself and its awesome! I missed the released notice though ne_nau.gif

We haven't released last night's release notes yet but we will, soon thumb.gif
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    It's great! Top job! thumb.gif

hee hee and I just got called on not understanding most of the release notes 'anyway' *Laughing.gif*

so technically void on a good day but you have made life easier - many thanks :)
  • kmlkml Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Great job SM - love the new look!
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    wings.gifclapthumb.gifclap.gifthumbwings.gif
  • simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    I Like It!
    Hi All,
    I really like the look of the new control panel... very sleek and organized. :)

Kristi
  • ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    I hate the new look, why can't you just leave things alone.

Not really, but somebody ALWAYS complains about every change. I just wanted to be the first.rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

It really does look better and seems to be easier to use. Thanks for the work.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Wow, i had to go and take a look. It's nice, well organized, much simpler than it was. Bravo! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We haven't released last night's release notes yet but we will, soon thumb.gif

I like the new control panel a lot. Here's one nit that could be easily fixed (you already use a solution to this in the Smugmug view).

The tabs don't work with the back key in the browser. Here's an example:
    • Open the control panel
    • Hit the Stats tab
    • Click on the comments link to see recent comments
    • Hit back in the browser to get back to the control panel or hit the control panel breakcrumb link
    • You're sent back to the News tab in the control panel, not to the tab you were on. It makes drilling in and coming back less friendly than it could be.
    Presumably, this could be fixed by using anchors in the history list for each tab rather than just pure dynamic JavaScript that never gets into the history list. This would also allow people to bookmark individual tabs.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited September 5, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I like the new control panel a lot. Here's one nit that could be easily fixed (you already use a solution to this in the Smugmug view).

The tabs don't work with the back key in the browser. Here's an example:
    • Open the control panel
    • Hit the Stats tab
    • Click on the comments link to see recent comments
    • Hit back in the browser to get back to the control panel or hit the control panel breakcrumb link
    • You're sent back to the News tab in the control panel, not to the tab you were on. It makes drilling in and coming back less friendly than it could be.
    Presumably, this could be fixed by using anchors in the history list for each tab rather than just pure dynamic JavaScript that never gets into the history list. This would also allow people to bookmark individual tabs.
    Thanks John - in fact I pointed this out while the sorcerers built this - I do hope that they'll implement such an enhancement.

Thanks!

PS: Whaaaaat - no mention of the filesize thing? :D
    edited September 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    PS: Whaaaaat - no mention of the filesize thing? :D

I noticed that earlier, but didn't know that was a recent change with the control panel upgrade.

Cool!

How about allowing users to set a default tab each time they access the control panel? That or possibly remembering the last tab selected and use that for the next time.

Possible?

And the "Homepage" tab should be renamed "Galleries" since it really does not replicate most user's customized homepage.
  • NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    The changes look just awesome! wings.gifthumb
    RogersDA wrote:
    I noticed that earlier, but didn't know that was a recent change with the control panel upgrade.

Cool!

How about allowing users to set a default tab each time they access the control panel? That or possibly remembering the last tab selected and use that for the next time.

Possible?

And the "Homepage" tab should be renamed "Galleries" since it really does not replicate most user's customized homepage.
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
    edited September 5, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:

Roger,

it's called homepage, as it contains all the stuff that people have removed from their homepage by clicking 'hide'.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited September 5, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Roger,

it's called homepage, as it contains all the stuff that people have removed from their homepage by clicking 'hide'.

Cheers,

David

O.k....and you can call me David, too. mwink.gif
    edited September 5, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    O.k....and you can call me David, too. mwink.gif

lol3.giflol3.gif

sorry reading is hard
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Mucho Nicer Look on the Control Panel. (Not near as intimidating, either...even though the information is essentially unchanged from the earlier one-size-fits all layout).clap.gif
  • alpacaboyalpacaboy Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2007
    ebwest wrote:
    I hate the new look, why can't you just leave things alone.

Not really, but somebody ALWAYS complains about every change. I just wanted to be the first.rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

It really does look better and seems to be easier to use. Thanks for the work.
    Wow, from looking through this thread, I'm clearly in the minority, maybe even the lone voice, but am I seriously the only one that prefers the old layout?

I've actually discussed this with Andy a little already, but I'm interested in the discussion. The things that I don't like are:

- My primary reason for going to the control panel was for the Stats, and now that takes 2 clicks (ctrl panel ->Stats). Even if I could bookmark it, that still requires extra effort on my part to bookmark it on every browser/location I use, when I used to get the stats when I just clicked "Control Panel". Now, I can't even refresh the Stats page - I get taken to "News"
    Am I the only one who blows a significant part of his day looking at the stats page and hitting "Refresh" several times an hour just to see little changes in the download numbers?

- I can easily parse the old control panel for the information I want. I get greatly annoyed at having to search through tabs. Or if I want to see info in 2 tabs (Stats, Customize), I have to flip between them when it was much easier for me to just have it all on one page. (I realize I may be unusual in this and I actually get into heated design arguements with the UI guys at work about that.)

- Looking through the source html, it's still downloading all the same info as before, but the script is just set to hide information from me. And that just frustrates me.

- I really don't like not having the option to go back. Clearly most of you like the new layout and that's fine. But it would have been nice to have a back door with the old one still available as an account preference for folks like me (or is it just me?) who strongly preferred the old style...
    But it's seriously bad enough that I'm considering learning the API just to try to simulate the old behavior, but one of the things I liked about smugmug was that the old default behavior was exactly what I wanted already with no work on my part.

Fundamentally, I got all the info I wanted with 1 click before, and now it takes more. I don't see that as a good thing.

I wouldn't mind the new layout so much if "Control Panel" took me to Stats and not News. If I could customize it so hitting "Control Panel" took me to Stats and Customize together, I would actually prefer this to the old layout.
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Am I the only one who blows a significant part of his day looking at the stats page and hitting "Refresh" several times an hour just to see little changes in the download numbers?

Just interested to know why you spend a "significant part" of your day doing this ? No sarcasm intended here, genuinely curious :)

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
    edited September 6, 2007
    alpacaboy wrote:

- My primary reason for going to the control panel was for the Stats, and now that takes 2 clicks (ctrl panel ->Stats).

So very easy:

1) use SmugManager as I suggested (cool cool Firefox Addon :)

http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps

2) even without SmugManager, you could easily just save the link to your stats page as a book mark in your browser, and hey, even put it in your browser toolbar - then it's always "Front and Center" thumb.gif

Thanks again for taking the time to tell us how you feel though, we really do crave this.
    edited September 6, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Just interested to know why you spend a "significant part" of your day doing this ? No sarcasm intended here, genuinely curious :)
    Caroline
    It's one of those things like refreshing tabs that are on a discussion forum or on email - something might have changed! Especially after I let people know I uploaded some galleries, I'm curious to see when they get hit and how fast/when the traffic sets in.
    Andy wrote:
    2) even without SmugManager, you could easily just save the link to your stats page as a book mark in your browser, and hey, even put it in your browser toolbar - then it's always "Front and Center"
    Since it's all done in javascript, the url doesn't change when I change tabs within the control panel. (I'm using Mozilla on WinXP right now) At work (Mozilla, Linux), I remember seeing something change in the url, like a "#tab2" in the url- I think because they disable some javascript over there, so the page falls back to a straight url.

However, in both cases, with or without the "#tab2," in the url, saving the bookmark doesn't retain the "Stats" tab, and the bookmark brings me to the News tab. (I just tried it just now to make sure) (Hitting "refresh" while in the Stats tab also takes me back to the News tab.)
    edited September 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So very easy:

1) use SmugManager as I suggested (cool cool Firefox Addon :)

http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps
    I don't have Firefox (yet), but I looked at the predecessor on:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44605
    and it looked like it was heavily based on URLs, so it would be subject to the same limitation - not being able to bookmark the inner Stats tab.

The Firefox xpi had a lot of paths to js, but since it was more or less a binary, I couldn't tell if it shared the dependency on URLs or whether he was constructing the targets through the API.
    edited September 6, 2007
    alpacaboy wrote:
    I don't have Firefox (yet), but I looked at the predecessor on:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44605
    and it looked like it was heavily based on URLs, so it would be subject to the same limitation - not being able to bookmark the inner Stats tab.

The Firefox xpi had a lot of paths to js, but since it was more or less a binary, I couldn't tell if it shared the dependency on URLs or whether he was constructing the targets through the API.

It would be this link: :D

http://nickname.smugmug.com/homepage/stats.mg
    for all your stats

http://nickname.smugmug.com/homepage/stats.mg?AlbumID=3160314
    for a gallery (XXXXXX) 's stats
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Bravo on the new control panel!!