davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited September 12, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Can you find any virtue in this shot, cause I'm stumped.
Can innocence be considered as virtue? I don't know.
You decide.

193122832-L.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Adorable shot! I was checking out Wiki this morning and there are all kinds of things considered virtues that I wasn't aware of. Innocence is amongst them. So (as usual) it will be totally dependent upon how lenient the judges are and whether or not they are even aware of all the possible interpretations that could be used for one simple word. Not the answer you were probably looking for IMO, but I would say "yes" because innocence indicates a lack of guilt, crime, "sin"....mwink.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    The 7 Sins -vs- The 7 Virtues "

Sin - Virtue
    Pride (vanity) - Humility (modesty)
    Envy (jealousy) - Kindness (admiration)
    Wrath (anger) - Forgiveness (composure)
    Sloth (laziness/idleness) - Diligence (zeal/integrity/Labor)
    Greed (avarice) - Charity (giving)
    Gluttony (over-indulgence) - Temperance (self-restraint)
    Lust (excessive sexual appetites) - Chastity (purity)
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    The 7 Sins -vs- The 7 Virtues "

Sin - Virtue
    Pride (vanity) - Humility (modesty)
    Envy (jealousy) - Kindness (admiration)
    Wrath (anger) - Forgiveness (composure)
    Sloth (laziness/idleness) - Diligence (zeal/integrity/Labor)
    Greed (avarice) - Charity (giving)
    Gluttony (over-indulgence) - Temperance (self-restraint)
    Lust (excessive sexual appetites) - Chastity (purity)

Thanks! This is great!
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    I like it. Except for the grey background. To my mind, it makes the shot much more subdued. Maybe B&W? Maybe colorize the background?
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Youth is a virtue. This shot is cool. The sharp focus top right, leading outward (downward?) to bottom left is interesting. The model is striking, and the bottle in the forefront gives it a commercial feel...not a bad thing. Thanks for sharing. PS: Beautiful eyes on the model.
    Growing with Dgrin

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Thanks folks.

Here's the shot in B&W.
    I don't think it does anything for this shot.

193355013-O.jpg193355007-O.jpg
    dave.

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    Youth is a virtue. This shot is cool. The sharp focus top right, leading outward (downward?) to bottom left is interesting. The model is striking, and the bottle in the forefront gives it a commercial feel...not a bad thing. Thanks for sharing. PS: Beautiful eyes on the model.

I disagree. I think that youth is a quality or characteristic, but not a "virtue" in the sense of the LPS. It could be said that youth is a "pleasure" or "advantage", but this is not identical to virtue. I'm thinking more along the line of the classic formulation of vice and virtue, like tentacion posted. This is a cool photo, but it seems very off theme to me. Perhaps you could reshoot it in a way more suggestive of corruption or preservation of "innocence." Innocence alone is, by definition, neither virtuous or corrupt because it is the condition of being unable to distinguish between vice and virtue. Both a baby and a man-eating tiger, really, are innocent.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I disagree. I think that youth is a quality or characteristic, but not a "virtue" in the sense of the LPS. It could be said that youth is a "pleasure" or "advantage", but this is not identical to virtue. I'm thinking more along the line of the classic formulation of vice and virtue, like tentacion posted. This is a cool photo, but it seems very off theme to me. Perhaps you could reshoot it in a way more suggestive of corruption or preservation of "innocence." Innocence alone is, by definition, neither virtuous or corrupt because it is the condition of being unable to distinguish between vice and virtue. Both a baby and a man-eating tiger, really, are innocent.

To expand on your statement, a virtue is a conscious choice in a blessed direction vs. a vice is a conscious choice in a cursed direction? A virtue will lead one to being blessed or being a blessing to someone while a vice will lead one to being cursed or being a curse on someone?

Of all the LPS I've participated in so far, this is the toughest one for me to figure out how to capture.

Can I just say that I want to pick up that baby and give him(her?) a great big squishy hug?
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Dave, I absolutely love your photo. Great lighting and exposure, angle, expression.. Precious... But sorry to say that, IMO, doesn't meet the theme. I agree with Ryan. Innocence is no more virtuous than it would be sinful. Not wanting to describe any example of what I'm thinking, but if the boy were doing something horribly evil in this same innocent frame, would you say that innocence is sin?

Keep shooting, and save the idea for when innocence comes up as a theme!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited September 10, 2007
    Thanks folks.

Although it may or may not follow the theme to a T, I won't have time for shooting anything else this week, so there it is.

Thanks for your opinions.
    dave.

David, I love your photo. and in my minds eye it FITS the theme...."Purity" is a virture....Tell me...How is a BABY NOT Pure?

Babies are free of Sin, have no knowledge of Bad or Good or Indifferent, they just want to be fed, cleaned, taken care and Loved!! (and these are choices that are natural and the law of the jungle)

A baby does not know about Sex, Violence, Lust, Charity, A BABY KNOWS NOTHING. A Baby is as pure as the white snow that falls.....it is as the child grows and starts to become aware of its surroundings, it becomes aware of lots of things..but remember when they become of aware of things alot of it is learned behavior.

I believe Purity was a Virtue of Chastity and I do think that a baby refrains from sex...lol lol lol lol.

Great Shot...
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    Is innocence a virtue? I don't know. I'll let the judges decide.

Maybe I should have used his cheese cake shot instead?

Hey baby, you want some of this?
    193122804-L.jpg
    dave.

davev wrote:

OMGawddddddddddd, I'm Dyin Ova Here (Best Boston Accent)....That is WAYYYYY Too Funny!!! Love that Title Too!!! What a FABULOUS Shot....and that baby looked so into ....Yeah that Baby Was Workin' It, BIG TIME !!! mwink.gif Remember, I said....It is a LEARNED behavior....Hmmm, I wonder who he learned it from...Laughing.gif
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    davev wrote:

193122804-L.jpg

:lol4Ohhhh!!! That's good!!clap.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    Tentacion wrote:
    A baby does not know about Sex, Violence, Lust, Charity, A BABY KNOWS NOTHING.

This is why I think a baby shot is totally innapropriate for a category such as virtue. From virtus ‘valour, merit, moral perfection, en essential quality of virtue is the idea that it is an act or state of being that requires knowledge, and implies choice. The concept of virtue is inextricably linked to the idea of morality. Babies are certainly not immoral, but neither are they moral. They are amoral.
    Virtue has a range of meanings. The virtue of prayer. The virtue of necessity. A girl loses her virtue. The virtue went out of him.

An innocent child reminds us of the purity of guilelessness. A child may not have virtue in the strict sense of moral probity, but neither has the child lost virtue. She does not possess virtue; she inhabits it. The innocence of the child proclaims to the rest of us the virtue of virtue itself. The virtue of the child lies in her effect on us. Much like the virtue in a photograph.
    Gary Glass wrote:

An innocent child reminds us of the purity of guilelessness. A child may not have virtue in the strict sense of moral probity, but neither has the child lost virtue.

I really can't agree. It is true that a child hasn't "lost" virtue, having never possesed it, or exercised it. The same could be said about my never having lost the ability to speak Japanese. However, if the theme was "speaking japanese" I don't believe that a picture of myself would be a very good choice for a submission.
    She does not possess virtue; she inhabits it.

I don't mean to be offensive, but this seems to me to be wordplay. Any conception of virtue (particularly when juxtaposed with sin or vice) seems, as I have said before, inextricably linked with moral choice, or arete, or some kind of condition or action that is entirely adult.
    The innocence of the child proclaims to the rest of us the virtue of virtue itself. The virtue of the child lies in her effect on us. Much like the virtue in a photograph.

If you accept this idea, then you are abandoning the idea of virtue as being anything beyond good, nice, or pleasent. I think this theme is an excellent opportunity to submit images that have a great deal of literary depth to them. If you are going to submit something on the theme of virtue, I want to see something that appeals to me the way this passage does:

What in me is dark
    Illumine, what is low raise and support;
    That to the height of this great argument
    I may assert eternal Providence,
    And justify the ways of God to men.

I want something transendental, or corrupt. Something that epitomizes these two ideas.

I think we are falling too much into the vice of sentimentality. This is photography's greatest vice, as sentimentality obscures truth. This is particularly true in the case of children. I am reminded of what Donna Tartt said in reference to the subject. "I think innocence is something that adults project upon children that's not really there"
    edited September 11, 2007
    pu·ri·ty (pyʊr'ĭ-tē) n.
    1. The quality or condition of being pure.
    2. A quantitative assessment of homogeneity or uniformity.
    3. Freedom from sin or guilt; innocence; chastity: “Teach your children . . . the belief in purity of body, mind and soul” (Emmeline Pankhurst).
    4. The absence in speech or writing of slang or other elements deemed inappropriate to good style.
    5. The degree to which a color is free from being mixed with other colors
    I guess we are looking at a different dictionary and/or thesaurus....Laughing.gif
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I want something transendental, or corrupt. Something that epitomizes these two ideas.

Well, it's good to know that you're not hard to please.:D

Justiceiro wrote:
    I am reminded of what Donna Tartt said in reference to the subject. "I think innocence is something that adults project upon children that's not really there"

At what point in life does it show up then?
    When the kid can walk, talk, learn to cry to get something?
    I think the sin/virtue, good/bad thing starts way before you think it does.

Like I said in my first post, I don't know if it shows virtue or not.
    Obviously I feel it does, you and the judges may not, and that's OK.
    I feel like I already got something out of this challenge by being able to get
    so many opinions on a simple shot of a toddler sitting on the floor, drinking his milk.

Conversation/discussion like this about a shot is all one can hope for.

Thanks.
    dave.

If you accept this idea, then you are abandoning the idea of virtue as being anything beyond good, nice, or pleasent.

As I said in my post, the word has a range of meanings and connotations. Perhaps you're evaluating the contest theme more narrowly than it needs to be. Certainly more narrowly than I would do (if I were a judge).

A dove suggests purity to me. And purity is a virtue (broadly construed). If a dove can symbolize purity, why can't the guileless eyes of a child?
    I have to admit that in the banter I may have actually been swayed to see the concept of virtue in much broader terms, yet the photograph being discussed still fails to move me to think of either sin or virtue!

I also remind y'all of a couple of things, that the judges, still "TBA," are not to have read any of these threads before making their decisions, so they'll go into judging with whatever raw ideas they have on the words, AND... remember the theory proven time and again throughout this LPS: "a great photo trumps any and all adherence to theme!"

:photo
    Mark
    A great photo trumps any and all adherence to theme!

A more virtuous pronouncement has seldom been uttered.
    hoofclix wrote:
    A great photo trumps any and all adherence to theme!
    Gary Glass wrote:
    A more virtuous pronouncement has seldom been uttered.

Hear Ye Hear Ye, Truer Words Have Not been Said thru this the Gran Forum Hall....

I Tend to Agree, as the Judges (no offense) are really not what one would consider PRO Judges, so the EYE and MIND can be first easily SWAYED by the WOW factor of the Photo and NOT by the Theme that should meet the critiria for judging FIRST, then secondly the Tech's should come into play...hey but that is just my mind's eye looking at it...Laughing.gif
    Tentacion wrote:
    pu·ri·ty (pyʊr'ĭ-tē) n.
    1. The quality or condition of being pure.
    2. A quantitative assessment of homogeneity or uniformity.
    3. Freedom from sin or guilt; innocence; chastity: “Teach your children . . . the belief in purity of body, mind and soul” (Emmeline Pankhurst).
    4. The absence in speech or writing of slang or other elements deemed inappropriate to good style.
    5. The degree to which a color is free from being mixed with other colors
    I guess we are looking at a different dictionary and/or thesaurus....Laughing.gif

We may be looking at the same dictionary, but we are clearly looking at different words. The theme is not purity, it is virtue. Virtue is not freedom from sin or guilt- if you want to get theological about it, the sinful can also be virtuous, or else human virtue would be impossible. In a real sense, virtue can only exist alongside the real existence, or capacity, for sin. This is an interesting vein for us to mine, artistically speaking. It would be a shame to pass it up.

Davev: Am I hard to please? I suppose so. You asked our opinions on the photo. My opinion is that it is a good photo, but doesn't even remotely approach the theme.
    HoofClix wrote:
    "a great photo trumps any and all adherence to theme!"

:photo

I disagree. It's one thing to interpret broadly. It is another thing not to interpret.

The meanings of words may be conflated in colloqiual way, (I grit my teeth whenever I hear some pundit on CNN talking about GW's "penultimate act of arrogance") but words still have meaning. If we conflate their meanings too much, they cease to be effective tools for discussion or thought.

If a good photo truly trumped any and all adherence to theme, woudl this be a good entry?

FFPOFP38%7EConey-Island-1945-Posters.jpg
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I disagree. It's one thing to interpret broadly. It is another thing not to interpret.

The meanings of words may be conflated in colloqiual way, (I grit my teeth whenever I hear some pundit on CNN talking about GW's "penultimate act of arrogance") but words still have meaning. If we conflate their meanings too much, they cease to be effective tools for discussion or thought.

If a good photo truly trumped any and all adherence to theme, woudl this be a good entry?

FFPOFP38%7EConey-Island-1945-Posters.jpg

Well Ryan, to first answer your ultimate question, I used my magnifying glass, and deep inside this family reunion photo I found not one, not two, but three instances of sin, each of the four syllable "tion" type, before I stopped looking and was satisfied! So I would say that this entry, being not only a great photograph, fits the theme to a "t." I think, however, that it's a little outside of the period required by the rules.. You should reassemble the family and attempt a reshoot.

Now, of course, on to the philosophical discussion that's underway, my comment wasn't a statement of the way that it should be here in LPS land, but my own editorial "lingua nella boca" opinion on the way that it is here in LPS land. In light of my own dashed expectations from the exit polls of LPS11 and the actual results thereof, I will state another opinion for debate, that I am thouroughly over this and am on to figuring out what I will enter in LPS12........ Looking forward to seeing your entry as well. I know it will be creative!
    Mark
    Oh Yeah.....People.....Lets move on to SIN ......or would that be VIRTUE for some.......but SIN is so much Fun....:D

"Good Girls Go To Heaven, But Bad Girls Have All The Fun"...

Virtue (Latin virtus; Greek ἀρετή) is moral excellence of a person. A virtue is a character trait valued as being good. The conceptual opposite of virtue is vice.

According to its etymology the word virtue (Latin virtus) signifies manliness or courage. Taken in its widest sense virtue means the excellence of perfection of a thing, just as vice, its contrary, denotes a defect or absence of perfection due to a thing. In its strictest meaning, however, as used by moral philosophers and theologians, virtue is an operative habit essentially good, as distinguished from vice, an operative habit essentially evil. The four cardinal (hinge) virtues are Justice, Courage, Wisdom, and Moderation. These were enumerated by the Greek philosophers. The three supernatural virtues of Faith, Hope and (unselfish) Love are part of the Christian tradition. Both the natural and supernatural virtues depend on a person's understanding that truth can be discovered. Modernist views are at odds with this idea.

Virtue can also be meant in another way. Virtue can either have normative or moral value; i.e. the virtue of a knife is to cut, the virtue of an excellent knife is to cut well (this is its normative value) vs. the virtues of reason, prudence, chastity, etc. (which have moral value).

In the Greek it is more properly called ἠθικὴ ἀρετή (ēthikē aretē). It is "habitual excellence". It is something practiced at all times. The virtue of perseverance is needed for all and any virtue since it is a habit of character and must be used continuously in order for any person to maintain oneself in virtue. However, Friedrich Nietzsche stated that 'when virtue has slept, it will arise all the more vigorous'.

Value system is the ordered and prioritized set of values (usually of the ethical and doctrinal categories described above) that an individual or society holds.

Some virtues (a virtue is a character trait valued as being good) recognized in various Western cultures of the world include:

(I guess that would be USA WESTERN CULTURE...Which may be the reason for this debate.....Laughing.gifLaughing.gifOLaughing.gifOLaughing.gif)

acceptance
    altruism
    appreciation
    assertiveness
    autonomy
    awareness
    balance
    being beautiful in spirit
    benevolence
    charity
    chastity
    cleanliness
    commitment
    compassion
    confidence
    consciousness
    consideration
    continence
    cooperativeness
    courage
    courteousness
    creativity
    critical thinking
    cunning
    curiosity
    dependability
    detachment
    determination
    diligence
    discipline
    empathy
    endurance
    enthusiasm
    excellence
    fairness
    faith
    fidelity
    flexibility
    focus
    foresight
    forgiveness
    fortitude
    freedom
    free will
    friendliness
    generosity
    happiness
    helpfulness
    honesty
    honour
    hopefulness
    hospitality
    humility
    humor
    idealism
    imagination
    impartiality
    independence
    innocence ****
    integrity
    intuition
    inventiveness
    joy
    justice
    kindness
    lovingness
    loyalty
    mercy
    moderation
    manners
    modesty
    morality
    nonviolence
    nurturing
    obedience
    openness
    optimism
    patience
    peacefulness
    perfection
    perseverance
    piety
    potential
    prudence
    purity
    purposefulness
    respectfulness
    responsibility
    restraint
    sacrifice
    self-awareness
    self-discipline
    self-esteem
    self-reliance
    self-respect
    sensitivity
    sharing
    sincerity
    spirituality
    sympathy
    tactfulness
    temperance
    thankfulness
    tolerance
    trustworthiness
    truth
    truthfulness
    understanding
    unselfishness
    wisdom

And all this time I didn't know that I was Virtuous --- "Beautiful In Spirit"....:D
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    Wow, this thread is a logomachist's dream! I'm drooling over here. And I haven't even plunged into the Oxford English Dictionary yet today. :D

Dave, I like the photo for its composition and lighting. Fantastically done--I really admire how you were able to cut the reflection on the plastic bottle so it didn't detract from the child's face while simultaneously grabbing some great catchlights in the eyes.

Theme-wise, I'll admit it doesn't scream "virtue" to me. But the joke version you posted with the bigger bottle certainly made me think "gluttony" (after I dried my eyes from the laughter). thumb.gif
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Wow, this thread is a logomachist's dream! I'm drooling over here. And I haven't even plunged into the Oxford English Dictionary yet today. :D

Dave, I like the photo for its composition and lighting. Fantastically done--I really admire how you were able to cut the reflection on the plastic bottle so it didn't detract from the child's face while simultaneously grabbing some great catchlights in the eyes.

Theme-wise, I'll admit it doesn't scream "virtue" to me. But the joke version you posted with the bigger bottle certainly made me think "gluttony" (after I dried my eyes from the laughter). thumb.gif

I just may have to switch to that/this shot.

The title would be something like, "Got More Milk?"
    194681716-O.jpg
    dave.

edited September 12, 2007

I think the issue has less to do than how you want to construe "virtue" than with how you want to construe "theme." Yesterday, somebody entered a shot of a white rose (I think it's a rose) and titled it "Pure." Now I think this is totally inappropriate. After all a flower isn't really "pure." A flower doesn't really know anything about virtue. It's never had to choose between sin and righteousness! It's never had to face down an oncoming phalanx of communist tanks! It's never had to look a man in the eye and say "I'll die before I give it up to the likes of you!" Flower's are worse than completely innocent. They're stupid! They don't even have brains for crying out loud! If I were one of the judges I'd throw that one out straightaway!