Brand New G9!!!!

Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
edited September 17, 2007 in Cameras
I just picked it up this afternoon, when I called they were unloading 6 off the truck, by the time I got there (60 min later) there were only 2 left!
The battery is charging as I write this, will post shots as soon as I take 'em:clap :clap :clap

hoping this message finids you well -Ian
Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

Comments

• z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Post them, post immediately !!!
    Mine will be here in 2 days mwink.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    Mine will be delivered tomorrow. :) I can't wait. :)

Kristi
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    z_28 wrote:
    Post them, post immediately !!!
    Mine will be here in 2 days mwink.gif

I'm really happy with it so far, these are a few quick snaps and in no way represent set up planned shots so don't take them as gospel. The are limited by my abilities.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

ps. these are wide screen mode, untouched jpegs, will shoot some raw when I get a chance.
    100% crop, but this flower wouldn't hold still, without the wind, it would have been even sharper.
    Some lucky blokes new TT!
    close up of light and shadows, no fringing!!!!!
    the tarmac
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    My G9 arrived today. My lighting conditions this evening haven't been ideal, but IQ seems good so far.

I've taken a few raw images, but I can't quite figure out what we're supposed to be able to do with them:

Lightroom 1.1 can't read them; LR reports to be up to date.

Photoshop CS2 can't read them either; Photoshop reports to be up to date.

Digital Photo Pro 3.0.2.6 (the latest I could find on Canon's web site today) can't read them.

Faststone 3.2 can open the 1600x1200 JPEG preview in the RAW file and display the EXIF data including the ISO.

Faststone and Lightroom can display the ISO in G9 JPEGs; they can not display EXIF ISO info from within G7 JPEG files.

I installed the Zoom Browser EX (version 6.0.0.246) that came with the G9 (DPP wasn't shipped with the camera, contrary to the G7). I checked Canon's web site for updates, but couldn't find anything newer; that's not really surprising. It can open the raw file, but save as is grayed out. If I select a raw file and click export, I get the error message:

Unable to export movies, sound files, or RAW images.

That's not really helpful; I was hoping for a 16-bit TIFF export so I could at least work with my images in LR. It seems ZBEX will only let you print the RAW file.

I suppose we'll be waiting a while to play with the G9's raw files.

I reset my camera to save JPEGs.

- Wes
    G9 RAW support in LR1.2?
    According to this post by Nikolai in the 40D thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=632818&postcount=68

Lightroom 1.2 will be released this Thursday 13-Sep with 40D raw support. My bet is that G9 raw will be included as well.

CS3's ACR will be updated at that time as well. CS2 isn't mentioned, and I've not yet upgraded. That's probably not a big deal to me, since all my images go through LR.

Regards.
    Wes
    wesleyt wrote:
    My G9 arrived today. My lighting conditions this evening haven't been ideal, but IQ seems good so far.

I've taken a few raw images, but I can't quite figure out what we're supposed to be able to do with them:

- Wes

Yeah, it's wierd, last night I was able to select "processing raw image" from the "file" menu and edit a raw file or two, but this morning, the option is greyed out!

You aren't missing much though, the raw editor in image browser is a real 3 legged dog! I'll be very happy when bibble and ACR provide support, I never would have used image browser anyway...
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Yeah, it's wierd, last night I was able to select "processing raw image" from the "file" menu and edit a raw file or two, but this morning, the option is greyed out!

You aren't missing much though, the raw editor in image browser is a real 3 legged dog! I'll be very happy when bibble and ACR provide support, I never would have used image browser anyway...

I've never used Image Browser before and wasn't expecting much, but I was hoping for a 16-bit export. I was a bit surprised the latest DPP didn't support it; DPP is not bad software, but it's not Lightroom either. I bet it'll be updated in the near future.

As for Adobe support, we should know tomorrow.

Regards.
    Wes
    wesleyt wrote:
    I was hoping for a 16-bit export.
    Wes

Dear Wes, I'm officially stupid, (the reason the processing raw button was greyed out was because there was a window I accidentally burried underneath the application which was waiting for me to click on it.

It is a 16 bit exporter, but the way you do it is:

1. Select the images you want to edit in the scrolling thumbnails on the bottom.

2. Go to File/Processing Raw Image

3. This will open the file in an application called RAW IMAGE TASK

4. Edit the image as desired using the menus on the right

5. Then when you are done select File/Save Image

6. In the dialog box select the first radio button which is 16-bit tiff

I hope this'll tide you over until the others catch up

Ian,

Thanks a bunch. I'll try it when I get home this evening.

Regards,
    Wes
    Lucky my mwink.gif
    I'm JPEG shooter.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    z_28 wrote:
    Lucky my mwink.gif
    I'm JPEG shooter.

Hey, if you're happy with what the camera gives you every single time then there is no need for RAW, but every once in a while, I wish there was more dynamic range or that the color balance was different, and when you start trying to modify a JPEG it goes to hell pretty quickly. If you've never shot RAW and then played around with it in post, it's awesome! Sometimes it helps me get those low light shots that would be otherwise impossible. I'll underexpose so I can get a fast enough shutter speed (without boosting the ISO and getting a bunch of extra noise) and then push it in post. You wouldn't believe the level of "developing lattitude" a 16bit RAW image gives you...

Try it sometime, you'll like it!

I got my G9 today. Oh wow, it is sooo much different than my G6. I have a lot to learn. It's all good. :D

Kristi
    I got my G9 today. Oh wow, it is sooo much different than my G6. I have a lot to learn. It's all good. :D

Kristi

Yeah, I'm just barely getting used to mine, but the more I use it the more I like it! (Unfortunately I've had cameras that were the reverse)

Here's a couple of quirks I've found so far...
    1. If you switch it to auto, it won't shoot raw
    2. Adjusting the default color, contrast and sharpness settings is buried in
    "Custom Color" setting of "my colors" and it is the very last one, and when you select it, you have to hit the "display" button to change the parameters.
    3. It's a little noisier that I was hoping for, but it's unfair to compare it to a DSLR

Other that that I LOVE IT!!! and for me to have such a small list of complaints is huge! (I'll admit, I'm picky)

One thing I have been truly surprized about is how little fringing and clipping there is, it's really impressive! and the color rendition is impressive as well. I can't wait to get a couple of images into a full featured RAW converter and see how far I can push it.

I'm interested in your impressions and thoughts, or any tips you might have, and of course, post some shots!

Kristi

Kristi,

Congratulations! It is a rather sophistocated camera.

I've got both the G9 (it arrived yesterday) and the G7; I took the G7 with me to Catalina Island for a week and took pictures with it every day. It did a beautiful job. I really enjoyed the G7 so much that I only got my 30D out for one tour. I was surprised that I didn't miss the 30D the rest of the time.

The G9 looks to be even more enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not giving up my 30D, and I'll probably give the 40D to myself for Christmas. It's just that the G7/G9 is so capable, small, and convenient. The DSLRs and the P&Ss each have their place.

BTW, I love your cat pictures in your gallery.

Regards,
    Wes
    Thanks for the compliments on the cat pictures. I love to shoot pics of my pets. :)

Catalina Island is beautiful! I went on a day trip there in August 1996.

I have been using the Canon G series for the last four years. I took my Canon G3 to Hawaii in 2003. It took great pictures. I took my G6 down to the lake. It took great pictures. I've always been happy with the Canon G series.

Maybe someday down the road, I will get a DSLR. Right now, I am happy with my Canon G series camera. :)

Kristi
    Hi Ian,
    I took some shots and posted them in my gallery: http://simplykristi.smugmug.com/gallery/3467752/1/194984726#194984726

I think that I am serioualy going to work on my photography skills with this camera.

Kristi
    Hi Ian,
    I took some shots and posted them in my gallery: http://simplykristi.smugmug.com/gallery/3467752/1/194984726#194984726

I think that I am serioualy going to work on my photography skills with this camera.

Kristi

Kristi,

Thanks for sharing those full-size images. THey look good!

Regards,
    Wes
    Hi Ian,

Kristi

Thanks so much, wow, great quality and fun shots of the dogs! Yeah, this camera really gives you the adjustability and the feedback to focus on the fundamentals, and the click wheel makes it so intuitive!

edited September 13, 2007
    I opened a case day before yesterday with Adobe about G9 raw support in Lightroom. I got a resonse today; they say it's not supported, and they can't tell me when it will be supported. Hopefully, I'll be able to upgrade to LR 1.2 soon and see for myself whether G9 raw support is included.

- Wes
    wesleyt wrote:
    ; they say it's not supported, and they can't tell me when it will be supported.
    - Wes

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I hope this RAW photo from my G9 of a rather aggressive squirrel I got at lunch today will cheer you up in the mean time.:D

ps. don't give up hope, I talked to Eric Hyman at Bibble and he said it would be in their next release...
    Ian,

Nice pic; thanks!

I'm not too worried; I'm fairly confident they'll add it in. They may well do it today; we shall see. I'll try to check tonight.

I'll just shoot primarily in jpeg and convert raw to TIFF as necessary.

Regards,
    Wes
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Hey, if you're happy with what the camera gives you every single time then there is no need for RAW, but every once in a while, I wish there was more dynamic range or that the color balance was different, and when you start trying to modify a JPEG it goes to hell pretty quickly. If you've never shot RAW and then played around with it in post, it's awesome! Sometimes it helps me get those low light shots that would be otherwise impossible. I'll underexpose so I can get a fast enough shutter speed (without boosting the ISO and getting a bunch of extra noise) and then push it in post. You wouldn't believe the level of "developing lattitude" a 16bit RAW image gives you...

Try it sometime, you'll like it!

I tried it sometime ago already, I don't like it.
    I shot RAW for request only, not for pleasure mwink.gif
  • silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    Amazon has, at least temporarily, reduced their price on the G9 to $488.38, and they are in stock.
    edited September 14, 2007
    Few fresh hot test shots.
    Basically I don't see much improvement since my last similar Canon G2 !

ISO800, 1/5s, F4.8, 210mm
    IMG_0011-1000.jpg

ISO100, 1/1250s, F4.5, 35mm
    IMG_0002-1000.jpg
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    This camera seems to give nice results! I have no plan to buy one, but I always like to see how new cameras perform. Anyone who is getting a G9 ENJOY clap.gif
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    Being a newbie... Geeeee... I mean G9... should I throw my C 30D 28-130mm in the basket?... I am puzzled a bit, the results look awesome... did I just waiste my $'s?... thoughts?... It just seems suddenly that the wheel has been reinvented... I NEED to know...ne_nau.gif

Be well...

Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...