Brand New G9!!!!

2»

Comments

• BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Being a newbie... Geeeee... I mean G9... should I throw my C 30D 28-130mm in the basket?... I am puzzled a bit, the results look awesome... did I just waiste my $'s?... thoughts?... It just seems suddenly that the wheel has been reinvented... I NEED to know...ne_nau.gif

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

The results are very good, but this camera will fail in where your 30D will shine. How serious are you about photography? I'm guessing you have a strong interest espically sine you have a nice camera. I would say not to be discouraged by the results of the G9, because your 30D could eaisly match those and surpass them. :ivar
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Being a newbie... Geeeee... I mean G9... should I throw my C 30D 28-130mm in the basket?... I am puzzled a bit, the results look awesome... did I just waiste my $'s?... thoughts?...

I am thinking about upgrading my old raw-capable PowerShot to the G9, but that will in no way cause me to drop my Canon SLR, because I long ago gave my SLR a different mission: To be able to shoot well at high ISOs, and to be a platform for the fast, sharp Canon lenses that the G9 will never match, lenses which I now love.

If you aren't concerned about those two things, then maybe you could drop the 30D. But if they are important, then you need to keep the 30D.
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Being a newbie... Geeeee... I mean G9... should I throw my C 30D 28-130mm in the basket?...
    Ara & Spirit

ABSOLUTELY NOT, make no mistake, this camera is a point and shoot with great exterior manual controls and great color rendition. ( I can't stress enough how much I enjoy the manual controls being on the outside buttons and the click wheel makes using it really fast and practical) I.M.E. It takes great shots as long as you don't go over ISO 100 it starts to get really noisy after 200. It's a GREAT point and shoot but in no way is it a substitute for a 3/4 frame DSLR... software processing is no match for pixel size.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    ABSOLUTELY NOT, make no mistake, this camera is a point and shoot with great exterior manual controls and great color rendition. ( I can't stress enough how much I enjoy the manual controls being on the outside buttons and the click wheel makes using it really fast and practical) I.M.E. It takes great shots as long as you don't go over ISO 100 it starts to get really noisy after 200. It's a GREAT point and shoot but in no way is it a substitute for a 3/4 frame DSLR... software processing is no match for pixel size.

Thank you guys, as I am still learning the capabilities of the 30D... it is getting there... you have answered my question (s).
    Thanks Ian... Big Bend?... anytime soon?...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    Certainly don't give up your 30D if you are serious about photography. Canon G9 is a prefect camera for those who can't or won't upgrade to a DSLR like myself. The G9 is a great high-end P&S and would be a great companion for your 30D.
    Hi Ian,
    I love my G9. I have shot over 900 pics with it. :)
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    Hi Ian,

900+ ???
    since just few days ?
    Not bad, I have shot 13 headscratch.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    I went down to Truman Lake overnight (took approximately 200 pics just in Clinton MO) Thursday night. Friday night, I went to Light the Night, a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (took nearly 200 pics). On Saturday, I went to a fall festival and took 130+ pics. I've taken a lot of pet pics which I have not uploaded yet. I've just had a lot of opportunities to take pics the last few days. :) My next big opportunity for taking pics is when I go back down to Truman Lake this weekend.
    Hymmmm... I don't know presumed lifetime of G9's shutter,
    but with your pace you should strongly consider a buy of 1D mwink.gif
    200k actuations guaranteed !
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    I probably took around 10,000 pics with my Canon G6.
    You must love your G9 pretty much mwink.gif

Keep good shooting - but show us some samples.
    Please !
    Hi Ian,

AWESOME! Way to let it rip! Now here's the real question, How many of those shots were it M? Av? Tv? or P?ne_nau.gif

I'm just givin you a hard time, that's great, I'd love to see some of the shots!

BeemerChef wrote:
    Big Bend?... anytime soon?...

Are you near the park? I've never actually been to Texas. Got any shots?

Here are two galleries of mine that was taken with the G9 only:

http://simplykristi.smugmug.com/gallery/3491130

http://simplykristi.smugmug.com/gallery/3483365

Ian,
    I am not that good. Laughing.gif
    Ian,
    I am not that good. Laughing.gif

Great shots, After seeing those galleries, I don't believe you.:D
    "I think that I am seriously going to work on my photography skills with this camera."

Start monkeying with it, switch it to those other modes, tweak the settings, (read the manual when you have to) and take shots that don't matter just to see what it does.

When all else fails, post questions like "What is Av and how do I use it?" the people on this site are a wealth of knowledge and experience and they love to share!

That and digging through posts and tutorials on the internet is how I learned everything I know.

Lucky Hack wrote:
    Great shots, After seeing those galleries, I don't believe you.:D

Start monkeying with it, switch it to those other modes, tweak the settings, (read the manual when you have to) and take shots that don't matter just to see what it does.

When all else fails, post questions like "What is Av and how do I use it?" the people on this site are a wealth of knowledge and experience and they love to share!

That and digging through posts and tutorials on the internet is how I learned everything I know.

Thanks, Ian! I have actually started using the manual. :)

I think that I will test things out on my pets. Got lots of them and they make great subjects for pics. :)
    Thanks, Ian! I have actually started using the manual. :)

I think that I will test things out on my pets. Got lots of them and they make great subjects for pics. :)

AWESOME!

Here's a shot that rides the edge of what this camera is capable of.
    • It was shot in Av mode,
    • Set to ISO 80
    • I turned off the flash
    • It was handheld (thanks to Image Stabilization),
    • Underexposed by 2 stops. which ended up being a .3 second exposure at an aperture of F3.5
    • And I didn't push it in Photoshop, this is straight out of the camera.

If that was Greek, don't worry, you'll get there...

anyway, have fun experimenting! It always is for me.

Lucky Hack wrote:
    AWESOME!

Here's a shot that rides the edge of what this camera is capable of.
    • It was shot in Av mode,
    • Set to ISO 80
    • I turned off the flash
    • It was handheld (thanks to Image Stabilization),
    • Underexposed by 2 stops. which ended up being a .3 second exposure at an aperture of F3.5
    • And I didn't push it in Photoshop, this is straight out of the camera.

If that was Greek, don't worry, you'll get there...

anyway, have fun experimenting! It always is for me.

Very nice!

Not Greek to me at all. :)