Options

I Survived The San Diego Wedding Photographers Boot Camp - Confessions of a Camper

Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
edited September 30, 2007 in Weddings
Let me start by saying ….. Damn you Shay Stephens …. Damn you for making me actually want to be a Wedding Photographer.

I have avoided wedding photography like the plague for the better part of 5 years, with one small exception of jumping in for a photographer who was a half hour late to the Ceremony for my wife’s cousins wedding I don’t think I had ever snapped a picture at a wedding. I have never wanted to deal with the Bridezillas and I really don’t like to pose people, I stick to the photojournalistic side of photography. I had never known another type of wedding photography other than the classical pose here, pose there style. Nothing wrong with it but just not my thing.

A few months ago two separate couples who are both very dear friends of mine had asked me to shoot their weddings. After repeatedly saying NO and them just not taking it for an answer I gave in and agreed to shoot them. Around the same time I stumbled across D-Grin and saw this advertisement for a Wedding Photographers Boot Camp. After some research and basically deciding that Shay was the single best wedding photographer I had ever seen I decided that if I was going to do these weddings I needed to do them right. I convinced both of them that it was in their best interest that I attend this seminar and just before the deadline (ok maybe it was slightly after the deadline) got them to pay for it.

.I showed up at the seminar having no idea what to expect, I had read the posts on d-grin indicating that Shay was a bit goofy, and everyone seemed to really like him. But there were going to be a bunch of other photographers there and some of my past dealings with other photographers have not gone well. Some tend to be very territorial and exclusive. I met Jennifer Stephens, the first night just after I checked in. Had never seen a photo of her but through phone conversations and email I knew it was here, she has enough energy for 5 people. I instantly liked her and started to think this is going to be a good thing.

From there everything went down hill. You see, my intent was to go to the seminar and pick up enough information to get through these two weddings and never shoot another one. The classes were outstanding! I had no idea how clueless I was when it came to all the preparation. I am predominantly an available light photographer, I had never used off camera flash (I have had to use hot lights from time to time), and frankly the though of it scared the daylights out of me. Shay made it almost too easy. He explained it in a manner that it was easy to understand and all of a sudden it was not so daunting. I learned all about ISO, aperture, f-stops, etc… and for the first time the manual side of my camera was not written in Latin.

The other students in the class were outstanding, very friendly (once Swaitree decided to talk on day two she didn’t stop for the rest of the time). I even got to meet one of my Idols here on d-grin our very own Darth SLR Nikolai. I have loved his assignments since I discovered D-grin and the knowledge he was able to impart on me in side conversations will be priceless. Not to mention the use of his 70-200 f2.8 saved my shoots.

The other big fear I had going in was that the photo sessions were going to be a Shay pose the models and we shoot them type of thing. Much to my delight they were anything but that. He let us do our own thing and when necessary slipped in a suggestion or two, and when we screwed up it was constructive criticism that allowed us to see our mistakes but at the same time build us up with the knowledge of how to fix them.

The Wedding day was perfect, two models that had just recently been married and were still very much in love made the shoot almost real. They had such emotion between them, it was easy to capture. I knew as long as I didn’t screw up the setting on the camera or panic under the time constraint I would have at least a few good photos to work with. Then I had a massive brain fart and forgot to shoot the recessional as the primary photographer. Needless to say I was fairly down on myself, but a well timed hand on my shoulder to say, hey it happens made me forget it a lot faster than I normally would have. The rest of the day was like stealing candy from a baby.

I am overall extremely happy with the shots I got. I showed some to one of my future brides today and they made her cry. Can’t ask for anything more than that.

As for the other half of the Stephens team all I can say about Jen is WOW. The effort she put into setting this seminar up was incredible. :bow :bow :bow My only regret is that I did not bring my wife so she could have learned from Jen about all of the Sales aspects of the business. Somehow I don’t think my relaying of the information will have the same impact and thoroughness that Jen’s had. You are one very lucky man Mr. Stephens.

So I say…. Damn you Shay & Jennifer Stephens how dare you show me that my style of photography can work as a wedding photographer! And THANK YOU Shay and Jennifer Stephens for imparting your unbelievable knowledge on me and giving me the confidence to take a huge leap.

Ok I’m done rambling, on to the pictures………C&C always welcomed

1. Our very own Darth SLR himself joking around with the groom before the ceremony

_MG_17214x6.jpg

Stunning in Pink

_MG_17304x6.jpg

3. I now pronounce you Husband and Wife... again, and again, and again until all the photographers have had a chance to shoot you

_MG_18114x6.jpg

4. The First Kiss

_MG_18774x6.jpg

5. My first attempt at something resembling a form of Sepia, I have no Idea if i got it even close.

_MG_18495x7.jpg

6. Who needs a wedding photographer?

_MG_19324x6.jpg

7. Letting the day sink in

_MG_19054x6.jpg

8. Sweet Nothings

_MG_20224x6.jpg

9. Reflections

_MG_20534x6.jpg

10. Hey Good Looking...

_MG_19544x6.jpg

11. True Love

_MG_21074x6.jpg

12. and finally Shay's Muse

_MG_14894x6.jpg

I know this was a long one, thanks for looking. And one last time thanks Shay, Jen and everyone else who attended the San Diego Boot Camp. I had a great time. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
Jeff Milo
MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    I wholeheartedly second everything Jeff said about the class, Shay & Jen and the "wedding day".

I also must say that Jeff himself is a great guy to hang around with, at least as long as you can keep him away from watching a ball game. lol3.gif He also has a great eye: him and me settled for the same general location for the "formals", and he managed to get far more and better shots than anything I could come up with (the time was ticking, folks, we were all on the damn timer deal.gif ).

And by the way, here's Jeff:

Jeff Milo in Botanical Gardens, Balboa Park, San Diego, CA:

197988386-L.jpg
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    All right...this bootcamp thing is sounding pretty good, even for someone who never thought wedding photography would be her thing! Your shots are amazingly beautiful, but I must say that #2 is just breathtaking! Wow, wow, woweee!!! Thanks for sharing your experience in word and photo, and congratulations on adding a new branch of photography to your bag! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    Wow!~
    Jeff,

Your images are amazing! Another WOW! Yes, your comments are right on the money.....what a great few days we all had. Even the Patriots won the game on Sunday allowing us to enjoy your company at dinnerne_nau.gif !
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    Looks like you had a great time and your shots show it.

Nice work.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    FlashPhotoBoy - you have some wonderful images. I really, really like #2 as well. That is just stunning.thumb.gif I would love to see more of yours (as well as from other folks who attended).

Looks like you had a wonderful a time in SD as we did in Denver.

And I agree with you about the energy that Jennifer put into getting these things up and running. I don't know how she does/did it.

I'm really hoping that Shay and Jennifer put on another series next year. I came away from the Denver boot camp with so much information that I've not been able to absorb it all. And, to make it better, Shay & Jennifer are a truly giving couple. You ask a question and they give you the best information they have - no holding back. Just wonderful.bowdown.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments. #2 is by far my favorite as well.

Elaine, All i can say is if you have a chance to attend one GO!! Doesn't matter if you have not shot a wedding or have shot a hundred you will learn something.

Scott, My goal is to have them all edited and posted in a gallery by tomorrow night. I will post a link here when it is up. and I second your request to see the rest of the groups photos. Both Nik and Cathy are wonderful photographers I learned a tremendous amount from both of them.

Nikolai, you have my extreme gratitude for using as far away a shot of me as possible. There is a reason I spend all of my time behind the camera.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    Wow these are all amazing clap.gif
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    Both Nik and Kathy are wonderful photographers I learned a tremendous amount from both of them.

Nikolai, you have my extreme gratitude for using as far away a shot of me as possible. There is a reason I spend all of my time behind the camera.

Thanks, for the kind words, Jeff. I am setting up my Smugmug gallery this week and my WPBC images will be up over the weekend.

I think it was one of the best photo class experiences that I have had. Hopefully we can also all be good resources for one another.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    I feel I missed the train when they were here in Texas. Shay please come back.

Outstanding photos.
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    Those are great. Very inspiring.
  • Options
    secretagnt_galsecretagnt_gal Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2007
    If by camping you are referring to camping in the bar...
    Jeff your photos really did turn out nice. I'm still in the process of editing mine, so I'll post them later. I feel the same way you do... I'm actually excited to do weddings now! I plan to take the class again next year, maybe I'll see you there! Thanks for the ride to the airport. :ivar
  • Options
    Jeff your photos really did turn out nice. I'm still in the process of editing mine, so I'll post them later. I feel the same way you do... I'm actually excited to do weddings now! I plan to take the class again next year, maybe I'll see you there! Thanks for the ride to the airport. :ivar
    Hey Kelly, welcome to Dgrin! Great to see you decided to join us! clap.gifiloveyou.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    Kelly!
    Hi Girlfriend,

Welcome to the Club! thumb.gif Can't wait to see everyone else's images too.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    Jeff, I mentioned this in San Diego already, but your work is wonderful! I have seen your gallery and the photos were so personal and intimate and touching that you are obviously a natural when it comes to PJ style wedding photography. You have natural empathy that helps you see the emotion, interaction, and beauty that needs to be captured. Great work!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2007
    Jeff, I mentioned this in San Diego already, but your work is wonderful! I have seen your gallery and the photos were so personal and intimate and touching that you are obviously a natural when it comes to PJ style wedding photography. You have natural empathy that helps you see the emotion, interaction, and beauty that needs to be captured. Great work!

Shay, Glad to see you and Jennifer made it out of wine country ok. I am actually heading down to Temecula tomorrow, the wife finished off the last of the "No Oak" Chardoney so we need to replenish the supplies.

Simply put, I am extremely humbled by your comments. While we all have our own unique styles of photography, I believe they are developed through learning and the influences around us. As you have been both a tremendous teacher and significant influence in my development as a photographer receiving such complements from you means more to me that I can possibly explain. It's kind of like playing baseball and having Babe Ruth come up to you and say.... hey kid your pretty good.
    Kelly, welcome to the gang!! 'bout time you joined up. I am very much looking forward to seeing your work. I had a great time hanging out and debating movies with you. When I hit Pheonix in February to see the Patriots win their 4th Super Bowl I will have to look you up. In the mean time if I can ever be of any help don't hesitate to ask.

I have gotten through the vast majority of processing and have posted just about all of the images I am going to in my smugmug gallery if you would like to check them out they can be found here: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3521581#199044708 your comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks to all who have left replies here, your comments are very much appreciated!!!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    Finally...
    Well, using what software I have, I finished editing. :) Some to share, and more in the gallery: http://kellymaizephotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3524019#199138181

13mg0963it7.jpg

35mg1083ia7.jpg

39mg1098ts6.jpg

Those are a little large... the rest will be smaller.
    72mg1166ux2.jpg

56mg1170ng5.jpg

65mg1187jg5.jpg

70mg1200ch0.jpg

83mg1237is0.jpg

And these are just for fun, non-wedding shots I got while there:
    01mg0846copyds7.jpg

mg0902ov0.jpg

That's all! You can check out the rest in the gallery! :ginger

-Kel
  • Options
    Well, using what software I have, I finished editing. :) Some to share, and more in the gallery: http://kellymaizephotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3524019#199138181
    That's all! You can check out the rest in the gallery! :ginger

-Kel

Yay, Kelly!
    Thanks for posting! You've got some cool shots! clap.gif
  • Options
    Well, using what software I have, I finished editing. :) Some to share, and more in the gallery:

Beautiful images, Kelly!
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2007
    -Kel

Very nice pics Kelly, I expecially like the detail shots clap.gif They add a real context to the day.

So I finally finished my "Forever and a Day" business cards, Still working on a card for the rest of the stuff I shoot. Let me know what you think.

Front:
    weddingbc.jpg
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Amazing series Jeff!!! I love #2, like the others, great light and colors. that pink tone must have been really hard to nail. Looks great here!

I really like the processing in #5, for what it's worth. Very sharp shot there!

7 is one of my faves, really like the feel to it, maybe straighten a few degrees clockwise, but other than that this is a stunner!!!

8 is my absolute favorite of the set, looks very commercial! Love the interaction and the nice S curve of her body in this pose. clap.gif

10 is just adorable! Very clever positioning and I just LOVE her expression.

I also love the picture of Jen, what a nice surprise to see a shot of her, I miss hanging out with her! She is ONE AWESOME LADY. Thanks for sharing your experience and shots, Jeff!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    Very nice shots, I am sure Shay is proud of his teachings after viewing your work.

I wish, I had the Moolah at the time, it would have been a great experience.

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    Very nice pics Kelly, I expecially like the detail shots clap.gif They add a real context to the day.

So I finally finished my "Forever and a Day" business cards, Still working on a card for the rest of the stuff I shoot. Let me know what you think.

Front:

Very nice Jeff! Just make sure you find a good printer... I had some custom business cards printed up and I was very dissapointed in the "black" they used... it wasn't near black enough!
  • Options
    perrydperryd Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 26, 2007
    Congrats to all who attended
    I attended also ( I was the the Fat guy in the beard in this set), and can only say if you can scrape together the money for this it will be well worth your efforts. This was top notch education with top notch accomodations - and the food was terrific! If you love the Simpsons TV series, this will be the best 4 days of your year.Wink2.gif Everyone worked together well during the wedding shoot due to Shay's brilliant leadership.

I have included a link to the pictures I took while at this class. Comments and criticisisms wielcome ( including spelling errors). Best of luck to all my class companions.
    http://www.perryd.smugmug.com/Deluxe%20Weddings
  • Options
    Styles...
    For me, it has been fun to look at how different our styles have been - same subject but different perspectives - all good.

I am not usually happy being the subject in photos these days, but, Perry, I truly love the capture of the expressions you took. It was fun participating in the ceremony. Really does give you a different viewpoint of what happens during a wedding. Good information for a photographer.

Kathy Rappaport

Creating Flash Frozen Moments...
    My galleries:
    www.chatkat.smugmug.com
    www.pbase.com/chatkat

perryd wrote:
    I attended also ( I was the the Fat guy in the beard in this set), and can only say if you can scrape together the money for this it will be well worth your efforts. This was top notch education with top notch accomodations - and the food was terrific! If you love the Simpsons TV series, this will be the best 4 days of your year.Wink2.gif Everyone worked together well during the wedding shoot due to Shay's brilliant leadership.

I have included a link to the pictures I took while at this class. Comments and criticisisms wielcome ( including spelling errors). Best of luck to all my class companions.
    http://www.perryd.smugmug.com/Deluxe%20Weddings
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    perrydperryd Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Thanks
    ChatKat wrote:
    For me, it has been fun to look at how different our styles have been - same subject but different perspectives - all good.

I am not usually happy being the subject in photos these days, but, Perry, I truly love the capture of the expressions you took. It was fun participating in the ceremony. Really does give you a different viewpoint of what happens during a wedding. Good information for a photographer.

Kathy Rappaport

Creating Flash Frozen Moments...
    My galleries:
    www.chatkat.smugmug.com
    www.pbase.com/chatkat

Yep. that was what I was going for.
  • Options
    confuzzed2confuzzed2 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Great shots! I like the PP as well and the variations in the shots. You've got a great eye!
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2007
    One week
    I've been a graduate of Shay's Wedding Photographer Boot Camp for exactly one week and just booked my first wedding!!!! Thanks to Jennifer's special phone sales techniques. :D
  • Options
    Yay Kelly!
    Yay Kelly!
    Need a second shooter? (lol) or maybe an officiant with a sense of humor?
    I've been a graduate of Shay's Wedding Photographer Boot Camp for exactly one week and just booked my first wedding!!!! Thanks to Jennifer's special phone sales techniques. :D
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    and just booked my first wedding!!!! Thanks to Jennifer's special phone sales techniques. :D

Sweet!!!!!!!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Amazing series Jeff!!! I love #2, like the others, great light and colors. that pink tone must have been really hard to nail. Looks great here!

I really like the processing in #5, for what it's worth. Very sharp shot there!

7 is one of my faves, really like the feel to it, maybe straighten a few degrees clockwise, but other than that this is a stunner!!!

8 is my absolute favorite of the set, looks very commercial! Love the interaction and the nice S curve of her body in this pose. clap.gif

10 is just adorable! Very clever positioning and I just LOVE her expression.

I also love the picture of Jen, what a nice surprise to see a shot of her, I miss hanging out with her! She is ONE AWESOME LADY. Thanks for sharing your experience and shots, Jeff!!

Thanks so much for the very kind words, just a note on #10 It is a great example of always looking at your surroundings and being flexible. Shay had noted to me before my shoot that the bride was getting a bit tired so I decided to have her take a break and start with some shots of just the groom. While I was chimping the first few shots of him looking over my camera I noticed her sitting on the bench behind him making goofey faces at him, so I widend my zoom a bit and caught a few. I really liked the look so I started to have them interact. Something completely unplanned turned into a very nice shot. Had to include a picture of Jen, she was absolutly amazing throughout the entire 4 days.
    perryd wrote:

Very nice shots Perry, that was a great location for the formals, really shows the advantages of scoping out a location before a shoot.
    Very nice Jeff! Just make sure you find a good printer... I had some custom business cards printed up and I was very dissapointed in the "black" they used... it wasn't near black enough!

I went with Vistaprint, they had a great special, think i paid $15 for 500 cards. They were supposed to be here yesterday but have not arrived yet. I'll let you know about the quality when they do.

clap.gifbarb clap.gifbarb clap.gif :ivar WAY TO GO KELLY!!!!!!!!

I have also gotten some very quick results. I have two seperate appointemnts set up to meet with prospective clients in the next two weeks. They are both friends of friends who forwarded the link to my gallery along knowing they were looking for a photographer. Don't know if they will pan out but its a start!! I odviously want to book them, but strangely enough the part I am most excited about is having the confidence to not book them if I feel we arn't the right fit. Thanks for instilling that confidence Jennifer!!!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com