Options

Weekly Assignment #54: Midnight sun

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in Assignments
Call me stupid, but when I saw what my camera got me after 30 second exposure in what seemed to be a pretty much dark Montana night, I seriously reevaluated everything I knew about the night shooting. The result essentially was a day shot - but with some very dramatic colors, interesting shadows, deep blue skies and the stars in them...:deal

This week assignemnt is going to be just that: get the night shot that would look almost like a daytime one. All you need is a camera on a tripod and a long exposure. If you don't have a tripod simply use the avaliable resources: car hood/roof/trunc, staircase, some street fixture. FWIW, this shot was taken at ISO800 and only 30 sec (I couldn't use remote cable due to some hardware incompatinility issues).

One shot per entry. Please provide the EXIF data/link and as much of the byline info as you deem needed. Moderate postprocessing is OK. Fresh shots only, as always.

Let's get some midnight sun!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Good photographer + better equipment = better pictures ! :D
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Beautiful shot Nik. Can't wait to see what my XTI can do in NY. Have to head upstate for this one.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    Beautiful shot Nik. Can't wait to see what my XTI can do in NY. Have to head upstate for this one.
    You don't have to go upstate, urbanscapes could be as beautiful, methinks :-)
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    That was a positively AWESOME photo, Nikolai! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    That was a positively AWESOME photo, Nikolai! bowdown.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Now let's see if you can get yours :-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I haven't been able to get out of work until it is dark lately so this might be doable. I have been awol from assignments for a few weeks- see if I can get something.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    I don't have the 40D. At least yet. :D
    This is the best I can do far.
    Exposure for 30 seconds. What do you think Nikolai ?ne_nau.gif

Would you prefer more country side than urban scape ?
    The sky is very dark these days. No Moon, no clouds. Nothing.
    And it is rather late in the evenning...

206187795-M.jpg

EXIF
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Antonio,
    I don't have the 40D. At least yet. :D
    This is the best I can do far.
    Exposure for 30 seconds. What do you think Nikolai ?ne_nau.gif

Thank you!
    Now, let's review the goal: "get the night shot that would look almost like a daytime one". deal.gif
    My question for you is: does your entry look like a dayshot? mwink.gif

As to the 40D, you know what the say: "it's not the camera, it's what you do with it" rolleyes1.gif

HTH
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you!
    Now, let's review the goal: "get the night shot that would look almost like a daytime one". deal.gif
    My question for you is: does your entry look like a dayshot? mwink.gif

As to the 40D, you know what the say: "it's not the camera, it's what you do with it" rolleyes1.gif

HTH

Indeed, it does not look like daytime but I can't do better this time.

Sorry. I was aware of that daytime, but I can't do it.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Indeed, it does not look like daytime but I can't do better this time.
    Sorry. I was aware of that daytime, but I can't do it.

Hint: avoid ANY lightsources or well lit areas. Use long exposures, and, if no bulb is possible, crank up ISO (mine was at 800:-).

HTH
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Works better on clear nights with full moon ...
    However, this is what I was able to get tonight. It was almost 100% overcast and started raining around 8:30pm here. Sunset was at 6:36 tonight according to www.weather.com for me. Also, these aren't the greatest photos as there's nothing particularly photogenic in my neighborhood... Standard suburbia.

First shot taken at 7:11pm
    206277432-M.jpg
    EXIF

Next shot taken at 7:28pm
    206277727-M.jpg
    EXIF

ETA: Additionally, in response to what Nikolai said about avoiding lightsources. It's helpful but you can get around it. I'm less than 5 miles from Baltimore City, so we have a LOT of light pollution, and on overcast nights like tonight you can see by the light from the city even out here. Thus my blown out sky even on a night shot :bash
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    However, this is what I was able to get tonight. It was almost 100% overcast and started raining around 8:30pm here. Sunset was at 6:36 tonight according to www.weather.com for me. Also, these aren't the greatest photos as there's nothing particularly photogenic in my neighborhood... Standard suburbia.

First shot taken at 7:11pm

EXIF

Next shot taken at 7:28pm

EXIF

ETA: Additionally, in response to what Nikolai said about avoiding lightsources. It's helpful but you can get around it. I'm less than 5 miles from Baltimore City, so we have a LOT of light pollution, and on overcast nights like tonight you can see by the light from the city even out here. Thus my blown out sky even on a night shot :bash

Travis, thanks!
    I like the hint of the color in the sky in the 1st one. thumb.gif
    Yes, definitely, full moon & clear sky help, but in suburbia you can actually use the light pollution and the overcast as you primary light source.
    Can I ask for a favor of taking some shots later at night? I mean, 1 hour after the sunset you can still get th eglimses of the past day sun, while somewhere around 9pm or later you are already on your own...
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Can I ask for a favor of taking some shots later at night? I mean, 1 hour after the sunset you can still get th eglimses of the past day sun, while somewhere around 9pm or later you are already on your own...
    I've never seen him grab his camera and run out into the night so quickly until he met you and Dgrin, Nikolai. headscratch.gif

It's almost 11 PM! lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

I was planning on going back out, just needed to wait for the rain to stop :)

But the sky was so overcast it really didn't make a difference. This is almost exactly the same shot (as close as I could get with a guess), and instead of bumping the exposure in ACR I just kept the shutter open for 30 more seconds.
    The biggest difference is I got excess light from a car that stopped in front of the church lighting up the underside of the one tree. I'm going to also do this on a clear night I think that'll make the biggest difference.... Maybe I can find someplace where there are stars (stupid light pollution!)

Taken at 10:44
    206297922-M.jpg
    EXIF

Oh yeah, and there was 0 break in the clouds so no purple, just the orangey-blue
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I've never seen him grab his camera and run out into the night so quickly until he met you and Dgrin, Nikolai. headscratch.gif

It's almost 11 PM! lol3.gif

Cool, that's the spirit! thumb.gifdeal.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Travis,
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I was planning on going back out, just needed to wait for the rain to stop :)

But the sky was so overcast it really didn't make a difference. This is almost exactly the same shot (as close as I could get with a guess), and instead of bumping the exposure in ACR I just kept the shutter open for 30 more seconds.
    The biggest difference is I got excess light from a car that stopped in front of the church lighting up the underside of the one tree. I'm going to also do this on a clear night I think that'll make the biggest difference.... Maybe I can find someplace where there are stars (stupid light pollution!)

Taken at 10:44

EXIF

Oh yeah, and there was 0 break in the clouds so no purple, just the orangey-blue

Thanks, man, that's great entry! thumb.gif
    I love the deepness of the foliage!
    Can you imagine what it would be on a clear moony night? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    More examples (again from Montana)
    St.Mary river between 10 and 11 pm
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    More examples (again from Montana)
    St.Mary river between 10 and 11 pm

Many Glacier at 9:30 (exif says 11:30, but I didn't reset the time for going to Montana)
    Travis
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    I was traveling last Thursday in Philadelphia and took these night shots. Both were taken after 8:00 PM ET.

206165120-M.jpg
    EXIF

This one has had some heavy PP because I used an ISO of 200. I was not aware of the assignment until after I returned home, otherwise I would have taken it with a higher ISO.

206165660-M.jpg
    EXIF

Dale
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Dale,
    I was traveling last Thursday in Philadelphia and took these night shots. Both were taken after 8:00 PM ET.
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    I wish it had less city lights, so it could be more looking like a dayshot...
    ...I was not aware of the assignment until after I returned home ...
    Dale

That, unfortunately, pretty much DQs your entries. You have to be purposefully shooting with the goal in mind! deal.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Ok, I'll play too
    Just joined dgrin to be able to participate and to learn. This is a very early morning shot, Cannes, Côte d'Azur, France:

206075279-L-2.jpg
    EXIF
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Pexi wrote:
    Just joined dgrin to be able to participate and to learn. This is a very early morning shot, Cannes, Côte d'Azur, France:
    Pexi,
    welcome to the Dgrin Academy! clap.gif

If you don't mind my asking: what was the time of shooting, relative to sunrise time?
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Pexi,
    welcome to the Dgrin Academy! clap.gif

If you don't mind my asking: what was the time of shooting, relative to sunrise time?

Thanks for the welcome wishes, Nikolai!

I think the shot was taken almost exactly 30 minutes before the "official" sunrise time. There was already quite some light on the eastern sky. Darn, I hope I'm not bending the rules already with my first shot! Well, not too much anyway :Dne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Pexi wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome wishes, Nikolai!

I think the shot was taken almost exactly 30 minutes before the "official" sunrise time. There was already quite some light on the eastern sky. Darn, I hope I'm not bending the rules already with my first shot! Well, not too much anyway :Dne_nau.gif

Well, we can let it slide for the first ever entry mwink.gif , but I would appreciate if you make another one with more like an hour before sunrise/after sunset ...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Ok, just to cover myself: this one was taken 12 minutes before the one I sent earlier, just a slight hint of dawn in the sky. wings.gif
    206074566-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Pexi wrote:
    Ok, just to cover myself: this one was taken 12 minutes before the one I sent earlier, just a slight hint of dawn in the sky. wings.gif
    It's a nice shot, don't get me wrong.
    However, the idea of the exercise is to avoid the artificial illumination as much as possible and let the camera pull out the colors otherwise invisible to the human eye...
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    However, the idea of the exercise is to avoid the artificial illumination as much as possible and let the camera pull out the colors otherwise invisible to the human eye...

It's not an easy task. I actually drove to the nearby mountains last night about midnight and tried to take wild shots in obscurity... and got nothing much but noise. And almost a heart attack too... wild boars make terrifying noises in the darkness rolleyes1.gif

Gonna try again, but I obviously need at least some remainings of the daylight still in the sky. Advices welcome!
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    I wish it had less city lights, so it could be more looking like a dayshot...
    I agree. City lights abound in the area's I was walking.

That, unfortunately, pretty much DQs your entries. You have to be purposefully shooting with the goal in mind! deal.gifne_nau.gif
    Hey, at least I was honest! mwink.gif I didn't realize that was a requirement. I thought they had to be new shots. I will try again tonight, albeit a much less historical location, and re-post.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Pexi wrote:
    It's not an easy task. I actually drove to the nearby mountains last night about midnight and tried to take wild shots in obscurity... and got nothing much but noise. And almost a heart attack too... wild boars make terrifying noises in the darkness rolleyes1.gif

Gonna try again, but I obviously need at least some remainings of the daylight still in the sky. Advices welcome!

What was your ISO and shutter?
    You shouldn't need any daylight at all for your shot.
    FWIW, I "measurbate" to calculate what I want. I'll pump my ISO up to 1600 and open my aperture to f4, and see what my meter says I should have my shutter at (this is in M mode). Then I drop my ISO and up my shutter, and then calculate again to get to a decent aperture (usually around f8 or 10).

HTH
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    What was your ISO and shutter?
    You shouldn't need any daylight at all for your shot.
    FWIW, I "measurbate" to calculate what I want. I'll pump my ISO up to 1600 and open my aperture to f4, and see what my meter says I should have my shutter at (this is in M mode). Then I drop my ISO and up my shutter, and then calculate again to get to a decent aperture (usually around f8 or 10).

HTH

Yesterday I was shooting with ISO 1600, manual mode, using shutter speeds 25" and 30" and moving the aperture until I got EV -1, 0, +1. Noise, noise, noise. I'm using EOS 20D and relying on its metering. Maybe I need much wider bracketing?

Will try your measurbate method (not sure if I understood it correctly, though headscratch.gif , english is my second language), thanks for advice! thumb.gif