Options

Weekly Assignment #54: Midnight sun

Comments

• Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Pexi wrote:
    Yesterday I was shooting with ISO 1600, manual mode, using shutter speeds 25" and 30" and moving the aperture until I got EV -1, 0, +1. Noise, noise, noise. I'm using EOS 20D and relying on its metering. Maybe I need much wider bracketing?

Will try your measurbate method (not sure if I understood it correctly, though headscratch.gif , english is my second language), thanks for advice! thumb.gif

If your EV is 0 at ISO 1600 with shutter speed of 30", you can change it to ISO 800 with a shutter speed of 60", or 400 for 120". I'd try ISO 200 for 4 min... I'm pretty much a beginner, but that is what has worked for me.

Can't wait to see your shots!
    Travis
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Here's my second try.

207042992-M.jpg

EXIF

207043304-M.jpg
    EXIF

The most difficult part about this assignment was trying to bring the image into focus. Auto focus does not work in these situations because there is nothing for the camera to focus on.headscratch.gif Next time I'll bring a bigger flash light to illuminate my bag to focus on.

I must admit that the camera has an amazing ability to pick up light and colors in the darkest situations.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Here's my second try.

The most difficult part about this assignment was trying to bring the image into focus. Auto focus does not work in these situations because there is nothing for the camera to focus on.headscratch.gif Next time I'll bring a bigger flash light to illuminate my bag to focus on.

I must admit that the camera has an amazing ability to pick up light and colors in the darkest situations.

Very nice, thank you very much! thumb.gif
    Yeah, flashlight helps. Another thing is a general knowledge of the fact that at f/8 you get hyperfocal fairly quickly (unless you're using a very long lens), so you can simply do manual focusing by the lens' scale.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Another thing is a general knowledge of the fact that at f/8 you get hyperfocal fairly quickly

Being a noob, I was not aware of that this tidbit. I took a few shots at f/8, but the lens I was using did not capture enough light at f/8 @ 30 sec.

Hey, but that's why you have these assignments, to learn!!wings.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    209077438-XL-1.jpg

Exif embeded. Not a good picture I think.:cry
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Exif embeded.
    And the idea is that every single dgrinner has to download the image, open it in EXIF aware tool and only then get basic info? Why is adding few lines so hard? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    EXIF
    I like this one. Too short exposure may be ??...
    208127112-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    EXIF
    I like this one. Too shot time may be ??...
    Date Taken 2007-10-14 18:58:39
    Exposure Time 10s
    Aperture f/22.0
    ISO100
    Antonio,
    this assignment is *not* about a long exposure deal.gif.
    It's about shooting in what an untrained human eye percieves as a "pitch black" environment. mwink.gif
    A 10 sec shot taken at 7 pm, ISO 100 at f/22 hardly qualifies (compare to my sample taken at 10 pm, iso 800, f/4.5 and 30 sec) ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Antonio,
    this assignment is *not* about a long exposure deal.gif.
    It's about shooting in what an untrained human eye percieves as a "pitch black" environment. mwink.gif
    A 10 sec shot taken at 7 pm, ISO 100 at f/22 hardly qualifies (compare to my sample taken at 10 pm, iso 800, f/4.5 and 30 sec) ne_nau.gif

And what about the other one I posted ? ne_nau.gif
    Just an EXIF comment ?? ne_nau.gif
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    And what about the other one I posted ? ne_nau.gif
    Just an EXIF comment ?? ne_nau.gif
    :D:D:D
    It looks like a "30 min after the sunset" shot, either HDR-ed or processed with highlights/shdows treatment. Very cool vista, but, again, not what this assignment is about. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    It looks like a "30 min after the sunset" shot, either HDR-ed or processed with highlights/shdows treatment. Very cool vista, but, again, not what this assignment is about. ne_nau.gif

I'm sorry Nikolai. You are wronge. Neither one nor the other. :D
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    I'm sorry Nikolai. You are wrong. Neither one nor the other. :D
    thumb.gif
    Well, some other treatment, then mwink.gif The point is - it wasn't dark enough when you shot it...
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, some other treatment, then mwink.gif The point is - it wasn't dark enough when you shot it...

I am sorry Nikolai to insist with you on this matter:
    How do you know it was not dark enought ?

Can you see the look of the day in Portugal at that time in any web-cam around here ?

Was the time set correctly on the camera ?
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Well, it's really hard to find a place without light pollution in D.C. land, so I tried to work with it instead. I did attempt this while in the Poconos, but it was a crescent moon and a one-minute exposure wasn't long enough to get much more than blackness. I don't yet have the capability to do a longer exposure than that without adding camera shake. :D

My attempt...

208086533-L.jpg

EXIF
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Well, it's really hard to find a place without light pollution in D.C. land, so I tried to work with it instead. I did attempt this while in the Poconos, but it was a crescent moon and a one-minute exposure wasn't long enough to get much more than blackness. I don't yet have the capability to do a longer exposure than that without adding camera shake. :D
    My attempt...
    EXIF

Kerry, thank you for trying.
    Yes, I guess no light pollution and semi-clear skies are pretty much mandatory for the primary goal, but I'm glad you get it a whurl! thumb.gif
  • Options
    twinsmomtwinsmom Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I may be hooked
    I may be hooked but I am no where near what I had hoped to get. I love all of your pictures and mine- well- they aren't nearly the same. I can't pick up the colors. Any tips? I want to go back with a cable release and try a longer exposure but there really was a good bit of light from the 1/2 moon and no clouds. How much better could I make it with a longer exposure? Uping the ISO gave me too much noise and there is a good bit at 800 already.
    These were shot on Friday night after 11.
    This is SOOC
    211240617-M.jpg

EXIF:
    Model NIKON D200
    Date/time original 10/20/2007 11:20:15 PM
    Shutter speed value 30.000008 s
    Aperture value f/5
    ISO speed ratings ISO 800
    Exposure bias value 0.67 eV
    Metering mode Spot
    Flash Flash did not fire
    Focal length 17 mm
    White balance Auto white balance

This one was tweeked in LR:
    211213784-M.jpg

And this has NR done.
    211214323-M.jpg

And finally:
    211229662-M.jpg

The above was tweeked in LR also.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    twinsmom wrote:
    I may be hooked but I am no where near what I had hoped to get. I love all of your pictures and mine- well- they aren't nearly the same. I can't pick up the colors. Any tips? I want to go back with a cable release and try a longer exposure but there really was a good bit of light from the 1/2 moon and no clouds. How much better could I make it with a longer exposure? Uping the ISO gave me too much noise and there is a good bit at 800 already.
    Thank you! Great entries! thumb.gif
    I like how it turned up, at least after the tweaking.
    I think the biggest difference between the circumstances yours and mine was that I had an almost full moon, so the amount of light was probably twice as much with the identical settings.

Another thing you can try (if you up to do it again) is to take several shots and then blend them. It's not 100% identical to a single long shot exposure, but very close to it.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! Great entries! thumb.gif

Another thing you can try (if you up to do it again) is to take several shots and then blend them. It's not 100% identical to a single long shot exposure, but very close to it.

Thanks and I am definetely going to try it again, and again, and again. Laughing.gif I really want at least one great shot like this. I just might try a little closer to home. :D
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    My attempt.... This is probably killed by the stars and the lights in the background, but I didn't get nearly as interesting a photo shooting Mt Crested Butte. (It was cool, but the movement of the moon killed that one. Laughing.gif!)

Feedback? (Well, aside from the fact that it's still sort of boring... Laughing.gif!)

212666032-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    My attempt.... This is probably killed by the stars and the lights in the background, but I didn't get nearly as interesting a photo shooting Mt Crested Butte. (It was cool, but the movement of the moon killed that one. Laughing.gif!)
    Feedback? (Well, aside from the fact that it's still sort of boring... Laughing.gif!)

Andi, thank you!
    It does look like a day shot mwink.gif
    What's an EXIF on this one?
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Andi- very cool. I too would like to know EXIF and what time?
    thanks
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    http://tippiepics.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=212666032

Whoops! Sorry!

This was taken at about 9:18pm. It's pitch dark - or would be if the moon wasn't almost full. I found one of those lights, focused and then turned it to manual so I could make several exposures. I'm doing a self portrait project so this is why I was doing it after seeing your assignment:

212662677-M-1.jpg

I used my flash to put me in the photo. the green and red are from the back of my flash (580EX with the panel lit as well as the "ready" light). I made several other exposures "flashing" myself all around the park. I was pleasantly surprised by the result! (Click photo to bring it to my self portrait gallery where you'll find the EXIF for this shot.)

Very cool idea, Nik! I've never done an exposure this long at night. And certainly not with such cool results! I"ll be trying this again soon....
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    http://tippiepics.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=212666032

Whoops! Sorry!

This was taken at about 9:18pm. It's pitch dark - or would be if the moon wasn't almost full. I found one of those lights, focused and then turned it to manual so I could make several exposures. I'm doing a self portrait project so this is why I was doing it after seeing your assignment:

I used my flash to put me in the photo. the green and red are from the back of my flash (580EX with the panel lit as well as the "ready" light). I made several other exposures "flashing" myself all around the park. I was pleasantly surprised by the result! (Click photo to bring it to my self portrait gallery where you'll find the EXIF for this shot.)

Very cool idea, Nik! I've never done an exposure this long at night. And certainly not with such cool results! I"ll be trying this again soon....

Great entries, Andi! Thank you so much for sharing! thumb.gif
    It's exactly what I was looking for: day-like shots in the pitch black conditions! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great entries, Andi! Thank you so much for sharing! thumb.gif
    It's exactly what I was looking for: day-like shots in the pitch black conditions! clap.gif

Thanks! It was a great idea for the assignment!
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Thanks! It was a great idea for the assignment!
    Glad you've enjoyed it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    EXIF
    30 seconds 200 ISO. Full Moon.
    213650956-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007