Options

Question...hopefully to stimulate a conversation

2»

Comments

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    ... Can I be honest and say I really enjoy it when you voice your opinions? I may or may not agree with some of them, but it sure is fun and lively stuff. Oh, and I'm with Mark, I actually like your "abrasive critique." Keep 'em coming! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif very much
  • Options
    staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    A picture is worth a thousand words.
    but as a lurker, I often wonder the same thing ;)
    {something witty here}
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    :DLaughing.gif...We must be a pretty SCAREY bunch mwink.gif , but at the same time an interesting crew, our vast personalities keep this forum alive with pretty interesting reading IMO, cuz the Lurkers are now becoming De-Lurkers....wings.gif

WELCOME!!:ivar
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    My two pennies. "Theme is in the eye of the beholder" or judge in this case. When I first heard 'craggy or smooth' for LPS 14, I thought "'wow, so cool, mountains!" But I've only lived in the mountains, and they are craggy. 'Texture' never crossed my mind. It's photography and it's conceptual. How cool is that!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Legitimate Peripheral Participation
    Laughing.gif...We must be a pretty SCAREY bunch mwink.gif , but at the same time an interesting crew, our vast personalities keep this forum alive with pretty interesting reading IMO, cuz the Lurkers are now becoming De-Lurkers....wings.gif

Indeed. It reminds one of Jean Lave's and Etiene Wenger's theory of Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Lurkers are on the outside moving in.

-delurked.
    WELCOME!!:ivar[/quote]
    {something witty here}
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    The ultimate test will be when the theme choice is "Black or White". OMG! All of us that live in the gray area will be screwed. :D

Then again, I'm sure we can somehow interpret that white light can be broken into colors and therefore....... rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I have only entered a few of these and stopped as it reminded me of high school - no, no, not the discussions, but english actually.

I must have been extremely lucky with my art classes, as they were so flexible, our teachers would stand on their head, talk to you and get your point, then mark you lol sheltered, sheltered.

But what used to piss me off about english was literature analysis, when one teacher would TELL me how a book should make me feel, or what it meant.

Unless I am sitting with the person who composed that work, I only know how it made me feel. Then, that person can tell me what they meant - then we can either whoa like Bill and Ted, or be amazed at a unique learning curve.

I kind of lost what this competition was about when seeing 'great' images, well I thought they were great, not making it, when other images that I thought were pretty lax in technical snap, making it through. I am not talking graphics vs photography here - there was like this lull where there was this divide between OK, we will take a great PS job and a complete 'photo' that totally matches the theme, and over-look anything that makes you 'think' about the theme. I guess you see the word 'art' thrown about a few times and assume that is not lateral meaning as such. But then, you see lateral meaning is what makes it, which is an art form in itself - in a lateral way, but not a stand on your head artistic way.

Lateral and blatant - is that art? Or is that just great photography? Personally, I like great photography! and think that is it's own art form but not necessarily 'art'. It is LIFE!

An image can speak a thousand words but they more than often don't and even then, like a book of a thousand pages, it will mean something different to everyone who reads it.

I love this contest and the entrants, don't think this is a slam in any shape or form, please, just my two bobs worth.

Competitions just always remind of just how personal interpretation can be and how precious that really is.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    The ultimate test will be when the theme choice is "Black or White". OMG! All of us that live in the gray area will be screwed. :D

Then again, I'm sure we can somehow interpret that white light can be broken into colors and therefore....... rolleyes1.gifrofl

Ahhhhhh JT are you going there again....:D Black or White...isn't that "Monochrome"...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifmwink.gif
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Ahhhhhh JT are you going there again....:D Black or White...isn't that "Monochrome"...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifmwink.gif

OMG, didn't we decide that B&W was a neutral colored achroatic rendering of a three dimensions in a two dimensional space....or something similar.

My head is still hurting....eek7.gifeek7.gif :help
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    OMG, didn't we decide that B&W was a neutral colored achroatic rendering of a three dimensions in a two dimensional space....or something similar.

I'm tellin' ya, crayons are the answer!thumb.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007

[Passes over a couple of Tylenol]....Hmmmm Peter...not according to "Shudderz" definintions? View #1 and #3 of her definitions..:D Ok, I need a drink now..then maybe I'll just see various shades of Pink Elephants...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry