Options

Camera Settings?

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited October 18, 2007 in Technique
I have tried to take pictures of the dam here in town and am having problems getting the settings right to make the water looks so smooth and silky.

Could someone give me a start in the settings?

Comments

• Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    You'll need a long-ish shutter time, say 1/50s or more (the more the silkier mwink.gif ). You may have too much light available, so set the ISO to 100, or minimum value, and use a small aperture (large f-stop number) say about 11 to 22. If you are shooting the sky as well as the water, a graduated filter would be a good idea thumb.gif

There are plenty of examples around.. Antonio from Portugal posted some nice shots recently.

Oh... don't forget the tripod :D
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    Thank you for the start. I will try it out. I came close once, but couldn't remember what my camera was set on :D .
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    To get really silky water requires shutter speed of several seconds. During the daytime you wont be able to get a shutter speed long enough without neutral density filters. Normal exposure for direct sun is around 1/50 of a second at f/22 and ISO 100. To extend your shutter speed to 1 second will require 6 stops worth of neutral density filters. If you don't have neutral density filters, the easiest answer is to shoot at night under a full moon.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    I have tried to take pictures of the dam here in town and am having problems getting the settings right to make the water looks so smooth and silky.

Could someone give me a start in the settings?
    Steps for the best chances at agood shot.
    • Depending on how silky you want your water.. I'd start the shutter speed around 1s+ and have the aperture set to f27 (or higher) per sunny 16 rule. You may still need an ND filter for this long of an exposure so you don't blow out the shot.
    • Get the exposure down before you worry about composition.
    • be very still and having your tripod on a solid foundation is critical here. Even walking around when your shutter is open can cause camera shake.
    • if you don't have a cable release. Compose your shot and set the timer to whatever (5s). This will make sure you don't have camera shake from letting go of the shutter button.
    • Compose the shot. Try different angles and really look at the scene. i.e. Is that tree helping the shot? No, zoom in a bit to get it out of frame. Is that old drinking well in the distance helping the shot? Yes, make sure to keep that in frame.
    These shots are not hard to get good results. They are hard to master though. It won't take but a few frames and you will have some results you'll be happy with. It may be allot longer before you find that perfect water blur shot.

hope this helps,
    -Jon
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    You really can't do it without a Neutral Density filter.

All those smooth water shots you see are possible because the photographer put a ND filter on their lens.

Once you investigate ND filters, your next question is likely to be: which ND filter works best? To which the answer is, if you want smooth water, might as well get a 10, no reason not to.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    If you don't have neutral density filters, the easiest answer is to shoot at night under a full moon.

headscratch.gif

checks phase of moon and forecast

:cry
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Grainbelt wrote:
    checks phase of moon and forecast
    With very long exposures, you'll probably blow out everything during the day time. The ND's will basically darken everything in the fame and allows you to use longer exposures. If you dont' have NDs, wait until it's dark. This way, you won't worry about letting too much light in since it's already dark.

Day Time Sun = Bright
    NDs = Makes the image darker (reduce amount of light that comes into the lens)

Long Exposure = Allows lots of light in
    Short Exposure = Captures less light

Bright(day) + Less light == possible nice exposure
    Bright(day) + More Light == a blown out image
    Bright(day) + Dark Filter + More Light == possible nice exposure
    Darkness(night) + Less Light == under exposed photo
    Darkness(night) + More light == possible nice exposure

When was this photo taken? This is straight from the camera, unedited...
    208844103-M.jpg

:hide
    sorry. i'm a geek.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    You really can't do it without a Neutral Density filter.

Depends on how fast the water is flowing... :D

65582678-M.jpg
    Shot using ISO200 film, ?shutter / aperture.. but it was hand held.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    208844103-M.jpg

Was this taken on a really bright day around 2'ish?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Hyperbaric wrote:

Wxwax was speaking in reference to the really smooth water shots. To get the really glassy look. You have to have an ND filter or shoot at night like LiquidAir said.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    :hide
    sorry. i'm a geek.
    NOTHING wrong w/ knowing your gear and how to use it effectively. Good post to show a budding photographer what does what.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:

Was this taken on a really bright day around 2'ish?
    Looks like a bright day which would be a short shutter speed. But then you look at the motion blur in the leaves on some of the trees though.... hmmmmmm.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Wxwax was speaking in reference to the really smooth water shots. To get the really glassy look. You have to have an ND filter or shoot at night like LiquidAir said.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that ND filters weren't a great thing to have, just not absolutely required. I've shot fast flowing water in overcast conditions without one.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Hyperbaric wrote:

65582678-M.jpg
    That's a lovely shot.

But it doesn't have the smooth, silky look that Dogdots is after.

You really can't get that look without an ND. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    208844103-M.jpg
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Looks like a bright day which would be a short shutter speed. But then you look at the motion blur in the leaves on some of the trees though.... hmmmmmm.mwink.gif
    And it was *very* windy

Hint:
    Dean (CWphotos) took a similar image, but I think he took it before I did and was a few meters down from the spot that I picked... and I like his composition better due to a better angle and less clouds in the sky. Plus, he did a first rate job in post to bring out the details...

Any more guesses? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    You took this just before sunset.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Can you explain the HD filter to excatly what it does. I was doing the dam pictures and working my rear off trying to get the sliky look. Took it into be developed and they were wondering how I did it with out the filter. I got the comment--"oh you can get a filter and do this". I felt stupid :D
    PS--my picture was not good--in fact I tossed it
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    sunglasses for your lens.

seriously - the problem is too much light, so the filter is turning the brightness of the sun down to a level that will let you use the (long) shutter you want.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    Can you explain the HD filter to excatly what it does. I was doing the dam pictures and working my rear off trying to get the sliky look. Took it into be developed and they were wondering how I did it with out the filter. I got the comment--"oh you can get a filter and do this". I felt stupid :D
    PS--my picture was not good--in fact I tossed it
    In laymans terms.
    It reduces the ammount of light that hits the sensor w/o changing the color or anything else.

i.e. Set your camera up on manual and expose a shot so it is "properly exposed".
    Put a 2 stop ND (Neutral density) filter on your camera. Leave the settings exactly like they were in the first shot. Your shot will be underexposed by two stops.

Make sense?

-Jon
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Makes sense. Weird tho, but makes sense. Oh no, I'm starting to think like a camera rolleyes1.gif

Steven when you mentioned sunglasses for you lens I kinda had to chuckle. Because someone once told me if I had any of those sunglasses from the 70's I could put that in front of my lens.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    Oh no, I'm starting to think like a camera rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

All it does is force you to take a longer exposure. And when you take a long exposure of water, it all blurs together and gets nice and silky smooth.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    You took this just before sunset.
    Actually, it was taken about 11:30 pm at night at Many Glaciers during the shootout and one of the last shots that I took (ISO 400, f/4, 30s). There was a full moon that night, but was actually quite dark since the sky was filled with clouds (incoming storm). I started the night off at ISO 100 (underexposed) and kept checking the historgrams until I found the sweet spot.

I selected this image to illustrate Liquid Air's comment that you don't need a ND filter for long exposure shots -- just shoot under a full moon. Even without the filter, you can still take long exposure shots for the silky water effect -- just wait for sun to set.

Just remember that a tripod is very handy for this...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    (ISO 400, f/4, 30s).

Just remember that a tripod is very handy for this...
    April, you are so funny! :D
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    That's a lovely shot.

But it doesn't have the smooth, silky look that Dogdots is after.

You really can't get that look without an ND. ne_nau.gif

Cheers Wxwax :D Like I said, not a very good example of smooth water flow.

Here's an example I've pulled from the depths of my archive that I think illustrates better that if the water is really going some speed (as I'm thinking it would from a dam) and it's not a bright day, then modest shutter speeds can be used even without a filter. This was 1/4s at f/22 ISO400 - with exposure actually increased a full stop in ACR. Plenty of latitude for slower shutter speed. Please look past the camera shake - it was never intended to be a posted shot. rolleyes1.gif

209407440-M.jpg

But, again, I'm not for a second saying that ND filters aren't a really, really, really good idea! Just making a teeny point.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    aktse...11:30 at night---wow.

I was two blocks from a waterfall last night--around 10'ish-- it was misty foggy and......I thought about going to take the picture. I should have right?

In fact right now I'm about 2 miles from the waterfall and it is raining, cloudy and maybe a good time? I should just get off my rear and do it, but I have no protection for my camera.

Hyperbaric, you were so kind to pull a picture from the past and show it. That is that silky look I want to get. Cloudy days should be able to substitute for dark skys I would think.

----Mary
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    aktse...11:30 at night---wow.

I was two blocks from a waterfall last night--around 10'ish-- it was misty foggy and......I thought about going to take the picture. I should have right?

In fact right now I'm about 2 miles from the waterfall and it is raining, cloudy and maybe a good time? I should just get off my rear and do it, but I have no protection for my camera.

Hyperbaric, you were so kind to pull a picture from the past and show it. That is that silky look I want to get. Cloudy days should be able to substitute for dark skys I would think.

----Mary

Put a baggy on your camera and you'll be fine.

I don't see why you should have to limit your water shooting to cloudy days and midnight. lol3.gif They're not giving away ND filters, but they're not that expensive.

69887449-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Wxwax beautiful picture thumb.gif What time of day did you take this?

I grabbed the laundry bag from the hotel room for my camera. I need to check out by noon then I'm on my way. Its going to be cloudy and rainy all day here.

I will post a picture if I get a picture---good or bad.

I just have to figure out how to do it here.

--Mary
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Thanks Mary. It was in the early evening.

If you're in a hotel room with an ice bucket, you might also be able to use the plastic bag that lines the ice bucket.

Good luck!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    I grabbed a bag, but didn't need it. I think I may have gotten a handle on taking these pictures.

I want to post one here, but I don't have an url to do so. Is there any other way to post a picture?

I did have dust bunnies---headscratch.gif . ISH!!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    I grabbed a bag, but didn't need it. I think I may have gotten a handle on taking these pictures.

I want to post one here, but I don't have an url to do so. Is there any other way to post a picture?

I did have dust bunnies---headscratch.gif . ISH!!!!!

After clicking 'reply' and typing your text, click 'manage attachments'.. then browse to your image on your drive.

Look forward to seeing the photo thumb.gif