Options

Don't let this happen to you...Backup, Backup & Backup!

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks Navymoose :D

When I am saving my photos to disc do I have to save the XMP files to? I somehow got XMP files along with my RAW and JPEG files when I downloaded them into Bridge (following my new CS3 book)---I can't get it open tho. It says it doesn't know the program that it came from.

----Mary

I would save the XMP files.

I'm not familiar with Bridge. I use Lightroom and CS3 in my workflow. LR creates XMP files, I do not know if Bridge does as well.

Have a great day :D

Navy Moose
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Navymoose,

Save the XMP files...ok....do I save them with the RAW pictures on the disc or on the JPEG disc? I have two seperate discs for each kind and don't know which photo this goes to. Dang, I don't even know what it is headscratch.gif .

What is in the XMP file and why can't I open it into CS3? Is it something that doesn't open, but just is kinda like the and info thumb (don't know if that is the right term)?

----Mary
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    You can't write data to RAW files like you can JPEG, so the XMP are the files that save your settings for RAW processing. So, save it with the RAWs.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can't write data to RAW files like you can JPEG, so the XMP are the files that save your settings for RAW processing. So, save it with the RAWs.

Hi,

Now that makes sense to me---they will go on the Raw disc:D

----Mary
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Now, I found out one more thing....one copy I made to my HD had some corrupted files. I found that out by mistake. I had a photo I needed and by mistake I tried to open it from the backup drive. It wouldn't open.

Sooooo, another word of caution: Check your backups after you copy them. They may have gotten corrupted during transfer.

I am looking into MD5 Checksum strategies now. I know SyncToy has SHA+ checksum capability, but I am not sure how that works behind the scenes. So on to my ongoing quest.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    wildviper wrote:
    Now, I found out one more thing....one copy I made to my HD had some corrupted files. I found that out by mistake. I had a photo I needed and by mistake I tried to open it from the backup drive. It wouldn't open.

Sooooo, another word of caution: Check your backups after you copy them. They may have gotten corrupted during transfer.

I am looking into MD5 Checksum strategies now. I know SyncToy has SHA+ checksum capability, but I am not sure how that works behind the scenes. So on to my ongoing quest.

Aaahhh....So that is what happened to me when I copied to a DVD and some of the photos came up and others didn't?

Good luck on your quest--keep us informed on what you find out.

---Mary
  • Options
    CAFieldsCAFields Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    wildviper wrote:

A few thoughts:

If a backup program such as Nero Backup that comes with the Nero Suite is used, then it has the option to verify your files after performing the backup, which will tell instantly if a file was corrupted in the backup process. (Reminder: don't use compression).

Some computers come bundled with Roxio which might have a similar backup utility, but I'm using Nero v.6 simply because it came as a software bundle with a DVD drive that I installed.

One note about Backup vs Archive: A backup is used for restoration in case of catasrophe, an archive is created for long term storage for the ability to access the data years from now. I personally perform all backups of my photos as if I intended to use them for archive storage (hence the no-compression use). That way I'm covered in all directions just in case I need to access the photos years from now or in case my HD dies tomorrow. Lately I've been keeping a separate USB HD for each year's photos archive and also 2 DVD sets of the same archives.

The advice in a previous post to place all photos on a separate partition is good advice in case the OS needs to be re-installed. I personally have a second IDE HD inside my computer that holds photos and important data only, and the primary C: drive is for the OS and programs only, so that I can "nuke" (format) the whole drive or replace it in case of failure, virus, etc. without having to sweat about the photos and data.

C.A.Fields

http://cafields.com
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    CAFIELDS: How do you do it with out compression? That I know nothing about.

When you copy them to DVD is there compression? Or external? Or do you have to set something first so it does not compress?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    CAFIELDS: How do you do it with out compression? That I know nothing about.

When you copy them to DVD is there compression? Or external? Or do you have to set something first so it does not compress?
    I use Nero Backup for archiving to DVD and there's a check box in the preferences section of that program that allows writing with no compression which then preserves the original file and directory structure (when writing to DVD's).

After writing my previous post, I decided to check Nero to see if it will create an archive to the HD without compression while creating a directory structure with files and it will not (but it will to DVD's). So now I remember why I began using SyncBack to write my archives to the HD, as SyncBack copies files and folders to the HD which is what I require for an archive. I also checked Win2000's built in backup, Stomp Backup MY PC and a freeware backup pgm, and none of them will create the archive on the backup HD with the original directory structure. They all write a huge file to the HD with a .QIC or similar extension which means that to restore a file it must be extracted from the .QIC file with the backup program during a restore procedure. This is OK for a backup, but not good IMHO for a long term storage archive.

I also did a real quick check of SyncToy and could not find anything about verifiying the files after copying. (It might have a verify option that I couldn't find so someone else might have some info). I dug into the SyncBack options and found that it does have an option to verify the files after copying (which I did NOT have checked!!) (It is now)! ne_nau.gif.

Please pardon the long winded reply to your post, but I'm using the opportunity to update my previous post.

The bottom line for me personally at this point in time is Nero with the "do not compress" option checked for DVD's and SyncBack with the verify option checked for HD archives.

C.A.Fields

• Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    The native Windows backup utility has a "verify" feature. :D
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    NavyMoose wrote:
    The native Windows backup utility has a "verify" feature. :D

Very true, and the native Windows backup utility is great for backups in case of disaster. Unfortunately for me it won't copy the files using the standard file and directory structure as if it were simply cutting and pasting. That's what I need for a long term archive as opposed to a backup, so a utility like SyncBack (or other comparable utility) is the solution that I personally use for archives on HD and Nero for the DVD's.

I gave up on the native Windows backup in the Win2000 days and haven't even looked at the one with XP or Vista, so I might be all wrong with the later versions. I always reserve the right to be wrong :D.

BTW, I like the advice you've given in this thread. thumb.gif

C.A.Fields

• Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thanks to both of you Navymoose and CAFields. You have given me good information that I understand :D

----Mary
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks to both of you Navymoose and CAFields. You have given me good information that I understand :D

----Mary

You're welcome. I enjoy helping people with problems like this. I've got a lot of years in the IT field and this stuff is easy to help people with.
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    CAFields wrote:
    Very true, and the native Windows backup utility is great for backups in case of disaster. Unfortunately for me it won't copy the files using the standard file and directory structure as if it were simply cutting and pasting. That's what I need for a long term archive as opposed to a backup, so a utility like SyncBack (or other comparable utility) is the solution that I personally use for archives on HD and Nero for the DVD's.

I gave up on the native Windows backup in the Win2000 days and haven't even looked at the one with XP or Vista, so I might be all wrong with the later versions. I always reserve the right to be wrong :D.

BTW, I like the advice you've given in this thread. thumb.gif

C.A.Fields

I was introduced to the Windows backup utility by my old boss for quick and dirty backups. Helping people who want to learn is fun. I did help desk like most IT people and it certainly teaches you patience and how to explain things rolleyes1.gif
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    I looked at the sites for Nero and Syncback.

Can Nero copy files from the desktop or from Bridge? Or will I need Lightroom to use it?

And for Syncback, does that work with any HD?

Also why can't Nero work to transfer your files over to an HD or is it just a "copy to disc' software?

I hope I got these questions right :D

Mary
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    wildviper wrote:
    Also, smugmug account has a lot of them..but smugmug doesn't keep my originals as originals...they do some modification.

Could you please explain that?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    wildviper wrote:
    Also, smugmug account has a lot of them..but smugmug doesn't keep my originals as originals...they do some modification.
    We don't touch your originals, unless you upload them in a non-sRGB colorspace. See: http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2007
    Sorry about the long delay in replying to your questions, as I've just returned from the Oregon Coast and Silver Falls State Park, two very awesome places thumb.gif
    Dogdots wrote:
    Can Nero copy files from the desktop or from Bridge? Or will I need Lightroom to use it?
    Nero copies files independently of all other programs similar to the way Windows Explorer copies files and folders independently. You don't run it from within a program like Lightroom or Bridge, but it's a program that you start up by itself and then it does it's thing.
    Dogdots wrote:
    And for Syncback, does that work with any HD?
    I believe it does. I'm using it with an internal HD and also a USB HD.
    Dogdots wrote:
    Also why can't Nero work to transfer your files over to an HD or is it just a "copy to disc' software?
    Before replying here I did a few tests and I found that in Nero v 6 (the version I'm using), if I choose "no compression" and "select Target" during the backup creation process I was able to specify a folder on my hard drive for Nero to place the resulting backup into. In doing so, Nero then performed a backup re-creating the file and directory structure which could be viewed and copied, etc. using Windows Explorer, just the same as SyncBack does. clap.gif That now changes my opinion of using Nero for HD to HD file archives, as it will do the job the way I personally prefer.

SyncBack, however has many very advanced syncronization functions, which is a whole topic of it's own.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2007
    CAFields wrote:
    Sorry about the long delay in replying to your questions, as I've just returned from the Oregon Coast and Silver Falls State Park, two very awesome places thumb.gif

Nero copies files independently of all other programs similar to the way Windows Explorer copies files and folders independently. You don't run it from within a program like Lightroom or Bridge, but it's a program that you start up by itself and then it does it's thing.

I believe it does. I'm using it with an internal HD and also a USB HD.

Before replying here I did a few tests and I found that in Nero v 6 (the version I'm using), if I choose "no compression" and "select Target" during the backup creation process I was able to specify a folder on my hard drive for Nero to place the resulting backup into. In doing so, Nero then performed a backup re-creating the file and directory structure which could be viewed and copied, etc. using Windows Explorer, just the same as SyncBack does. clap.gif That now changes my opinion of using Nero for HD to HD file archives, as it will do the job the way I personally prefer.

SyncBack, however has many very advanced syncronization functions, which is a whole topic of it's own.

Hi.....

Thanks for all your information. It is very helpful and will certainly help me in setting up my backup fuctions. Nero sounds pretty easy to use. I was checking it out and seeing if I had the ability to learn it :D

Oregon---must be nice :D I have never been there, but hope to get there one day. If I ever head that far west its always to California. Love it there. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and I bet you took a lot of beautiful pictures.

Thanks again :D
    Mary
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    We don't touch your originals, unless you upload them in a non-sRGB colorspace. See: http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998

phew that scared teh crap out of me!!!

my backup method is not perfect but...

internal 160GB drive - backup photos and movies to 2 X 1TB external drives
    1 should be off-site but I'm now working at home - so that's not really happening at the moment

i also am sending all my keeper photos in full size resolution to smugmug - sRGB colour space - so that's another backup

i'm paranoid about losing my photos and movies of the kids!!!

have to setup an incremental backup to my airport drive (network drive) too - might just go do that now i think....

you can never have enough backups and the most important thing is to have the backups in different locations! oh and do it regularly!

cheers all
    Jase
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Are there any free programs that I can use for mac to backup in non-compressed format to DVD? Is there a program in tiger that will do this?
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Does anyone trust the archival gold DVD's from either Kodak or Memorz for backups? Supposedly they have a 100 year life. Not that that would be my only backup...
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    You knew I was going to pipe up. mwink.gif While I haven't used those specific ones, after my unhappy experience, I don't believe those 100 year claims. I don't trust any burnable optical media now.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    You knew I was going to pipe up. mwink.gif While I haven't used those specific ones, after my unhappy experience, I don't believe those 100 year claims. I don't trust any burnable optical media now.

LoL, yeah I know what you mean, but I figure if I am using it as my last resort backup (I think the DVD backup makes backup #5 for me!) then it is ok!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    backup on mac
    Giphsub wrote:
    Are there any free programs that I can use for mac to backup in non-compressed format to DVD? Is there a program in tiger that will do this?

well i must admit I have Toast Titanium but...

it's supported out of the box in OS X.

Check out this apple page:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42663

hope that helps

Cheers
    Jase
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    I'll just go ahead and put in a plug for the backup program I use. It is called Fileback

http://www.maxoutput.com/FileBack/

As far as I can tell from the site it is only available for Windows, so that is a bit of a downer. But if you happen to be on a Windows machine the level of customization it gives to you is insane! It took me 2 hours to go through al the options and verify each and every setting for my automatic backups. I love it!
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    jasonstone wrote:
    well i must admit I have Toast Titanium but...

it's supported out of the box in OS X.

Check out this apple page:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42663

hope that helps

Cheers
    Jase

Thanks for that Jase. I think I tried that and for whatever reason it didn't burn. Probably me doing something wrong! Anyway, I went to the opensource page and got Burn. Did the job for me no worries thumb.gif I'm just not sure if it is compressing my files or not. I think it isn't, but can't be certain.
  • Options
    Scott_TScott_T Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Good thread. It is easy to become complacient with you images, especially if you've never had a failure...

I'm a long time IT guy...So like contractors who do little home remodeling or auto-mechanics who hate to change their own oil, I hate doing IT type stuff at home.

I have about 400GB of images. It is uneildy and my own fault. I tend to keep every image...I recently started to 'star' images in Adobe Bridge, so I can delete the 'unstarred' photos, but don't have the heart to hit the delete key.

My strategy to deal with this volume of data is this.

I have an external NAS device. It is a harddrive plugged into my home network. It is a raid 5 disk array. Not the fastest thing, but what raid does is write the data across, in my case 4 disk drives. So loss of any one drive does not impact my data...But if I loose a second drive I loose it all. That Nas device is on a battery backup to prevent against electrical surges, power outages, etc....

I then periodically dump that entire NAS drive to another external 1TB disk drive. That drive should be stored off site...

Next step is to get a second external drive and rotate the 2 for backups. Then I will have 3 copies of everything. 1. Raid 5 nas. 2. First external disk 3. second external disk...

This could be improved, but really it is about as good as I plan to get from a practical standpoint.

I would like to start deleting all my mediocre shots as mentioned via Adobe Bridge and deleting the images without ratings(stars). Then I would certainly use an online service like Mozy. I may even set that up just to have another automated backup for some subset of my images.

Bottom line, multiple copies stored in different locations is key.

Scott
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Scott_T wrote:
    I would like to start deleting all my mediocre shots as mentioned via Adobe Bridge and deleting the images without ratings(stars). Then I would certainly use an online service like Mozy. I may even set that up just to have another automated backup for some subset of my images.

Bottom line, multiple copies stored in different locations is key.
    Scott

Isn't smugmug a sufficent online backup?
    Unlimited space, sRGB means original is not tampered with by smugmug, and they have 3 offsite storage backup locations.

That's one of the reasons I have my smugmug acccount - am I missing something? headscratch.gif

I hope not! mwink.gif

Cheers
    Jase
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    jasonstone wrote:
    Isn't smugmug a sufficent online backup?
    Unlimited space, sRGB means original is not tampered with by smugmug, and they have 3 offsite storage backup locations.

That's one of the reasons I have my smugmug acccount - am I missing something? headscratch.gif

I hope not! mwink.gif

Cheers
    Jase

Smugmug is great for online backup if you only have jpgs (and gifs and pngs). If you have made the jump to shooting in RAW. then you need to consider how serious the loss of those RAW files would be. The same goes if you like to keep PSD files around for images that you have done substantial work on in photoshop.
    --Travis