Options

Don't let this happen to you...Backup, Backup & Backup!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    ge
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Does anyone trust the archival gold DVD's from either Kodak or Memorz for backups? Supposedly they have a 100 year life. Not that that would be my only backup...

I would contact both of those vendors and ask who makes the disks for them.....I have over 5yrs of experience with Mitsui (Mam-A out of the Denver Area) Gold CD's and those have never failed me yet, realizing that so far 99.999% of them are Music (recorded while working for Wichita State as the Performance Facilities Mgr), they have never given me an error code....it was due to the claims that we (WSU PF started using them over sony or any other silver / blue no matter the brand disks, I have some that are scratched to high heaven and still play.......personally I would trust them .....due to the fact that at one time they (MAM-A) was the only Mfg'r of the truly Gold Disk....and by tuly gold I mean that was not gold ink or paint or dye....it is a thin layer of 24Kt gold foil..........

Just me .0000002 cent worth. :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dlacouturedlacouture Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    After giving a lot of thought into this problem, my brother developped a little application that will catalog several disks, and sync them (until now, nothing new, you'll say!) USING ANOTHER MEDIA (tadaaaa!)...

What this means is that you don't have to physically plug your disks on the same PC (or MAC, this is a Python app!), in order to sync them!

Through this app, I use one main 500Go external HD located at my home, one 250Go external HD backup at work, and also have a copy of the Jpegs only on my computer's HD (for my wife who don't bother with DNGs).
    And all this is synced through a 4Go USB key.

WorkFlow:
    1. I download my pics at my work, do basic editing, tagging, and so on (yep, I got a very interesting job!).
    2. I plug the backup HD (kept in a drawer otherwise), add the new files, then use the sync app. It will copy only out-of-sync files from this disk on my 4Go key.
    3. Back at home, I plug the key, and launch the Main sync. It will update my external 500Go HD (that I usually keep stored in a closet).
    4. I carefully put back my HD in its closet...
    5. I then launch the JPeg sync.
    This ensures that my 2 drives are never used on the same PC (this also keep me from nasty viruses, BTW), thus lessening the chances of having both going down at the same time.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Foochar wrote:
    Smugmug is great for online backup if you only have jpgs (and gifs and pngs). If you have made the jump to shooting in RAW. then you need to consider how serious the loss of those RAW files would be. The same goes if you like to keep PSD files around for images that you have done substantial work on in photoshop.

Ah ok, I am shooting JPG and RAW (Nikon D80) but am happy if in an emergency I only have the JPGs as I'm anyway 99% just using JPG out of the camera

It's simply a question of time - I don't have any!!! ne_nau.gif

Seriously - with 2 small kids, both my wife and myself working full time, travelling for fun and travelling for work - well 24hrs in a day just isn't enough!!! rolleyes1.gif

Stll life is certainly fast paced thumb.gif

Cheers
    Jase
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    I must be missing something here. I think Smugmug does change your file. For example, when I upload a picture to my gallery (a jpeg), how can I get that same jpeg back to my computer?

By right clicking and "saving"...well then it has changed the name of my file to some wierd number. Doesn't this mean something has changed?

I do not have a pro account..is this a feature of the pro account only?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    it just means smugmug has renamed it, but not necessarily changed anything in the pic itself. I seem to remember someone voicing a similar concern elsewhere, and Andy replying that nothing gets altered.thumb.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    wildviper wrote:
    I must be missing something here. I think Smugmug does change your file. For example, when I upload a picture to my gallery (a jpeg), how can I get that same jpeg back to my computer?

By right clicking and "saving"...well then it has changed the name of my file to some wierd number. Doesn't this mean something has changed?

I do not have a pro account..is this a feature of the pro account only?
    We give each image an ID, for our database. It takes away all the problems with filenames that have identical names for one.

When you use the 'save photo' link we provide, the image should be saved as "<imageID>_<originalname>.<originalextension>"

I believe that albumFetcher saves the images with the original filename.

Either way, like i said before, the image itself does not get touched by us, unless you upload them in a non-sRGB colorspace. See: http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998

Cheers,