Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    New MacBook Pros?
    Does anyone know (or have a guess) when the next major revision of the MacBook Pro will be out? Or do they just do incremental upgrades as new processors come out?

Looking to upgrade my work PowerBook G4 (and possibly replace my ThinkPad T41).

Thanks...
    Chris
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Does anyone know (or have a guess) when the next major revision of the MacBook Pro will be out? Or do they just do incremental upgrades as new processors come out?

Looking to upgrade my work PowerBook G4 (and possibly replace my ThinkPad T41).

Thanks...

I dunno if it'll be major, but a revision should be out soon-ish. You can read up on it and related rumors here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I dunno if it'll be major, but a revision should be out soon-ish. You can read up on it and related rumors here.
    Perfect, exactly what I was looking for... Not sure I really need a quad-core, but I do like the hard drive replacement underneath the battery.

Thanks!
    Chris
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Perfect, exactly what I was looking for... Not sure I really need a quad-core, but I do like the hard drive replacement underneath the battery.

Thanks!

Daring fireball says October 14th. He's (John Gruber) not usually wrong.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    I need a very good sound card for the MacPro. I never realized when I ordered it that the sounds were that bad and that there was no sound card option when ordering. I didn't think about then because there was not prompt when configuring that feature. headscratch.gif

So - what to get? I plan on using my 5.1 speaker system from the now-dead PC.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    I need a very good sound card for the MacPro. I never realized when I ordered it that the sounds were that bad and that there was no sound card option when ordering. I didn't think about then because there was not prompt when configuring that feature. headscratch.gif

So - what to get? I plan on using my 5.1 speaker system from the now-dead PC.

If you want "very good", skip the sound card and just use the built in digital optical out to drive a good receiver. I've used that setup to drive the $4M theatre sound system in a 500 seat hall with rocking results.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    cabbey wrote:
    If you want "very good", skip the sound card and just use the built in digital optical out to drive a good receiver. I've used that setup to drive the $4M theatre sound system in a 500 seat hall with rocking results.

I do this audio stuff for the real day job and Cabbey is correct, the digital out is better it is staying in the digital domain, however you have just moved the limiting factor to the receiver. It will be the one doing the decoding from the bitstream back to analog that we can hear. So another question might be, can you define what you are looking to do with it? The choices can range from a US$10,000 decoder without an amplifier to $200 everything included. Just like cameras, you kind of need to define what you want to do with it.

If all that you want is to not hear the clock tick from the inexpensive converters and op-amps in the MacBook pro there are solutions. If you just want to use the Mac as a DVD player and have 5.1 sound in your theater there are solutions. So can you provide a little more insight into what you are wanting to do?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    you have just moved the limiting factor to the receiver.

Yep, and that's where you want it for good quality. Shielding and ground isolation and quality of audio processing in a $200 all in one unit is going to beat the pants off a $400 uber sound card that plugs into a computer (pc or mac). At least that has always been my experience. (and like BradfordBenn, I used to do production audio as part of my 'day job', though more nights and weekends than 9-5....)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    Thanks for the initial feedback.

Right now I just want it for improved playback of iTunes, CDs, and DVDs.

I have many digital tapes that I eventually want to convert to DVD, but there will probably be no additional audio dubbing that I can think of right now.

Outside of buying a SoundBlaster card or two in the past for the PC I am really unfamiliar with what what to do/buy.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

Maybe a tad overkill, but I suspect you'd be quite happy with anything on this list.

And they stand behind what they sell, so if you aren't you can usually get help from them to make it right, or send it back.

If that starting price tag is a bit high, drop the filter for the Denon brand (left hand column, midway down.)

You might also call them up and speak to one of their advisors... they're usually pretty good about figuring out the right gear for you. Though they may try to upsell you slightly... a quick test is to look at that unit, find the next unit down on the price list from that same vendor, check that it looks to have the right input, and ask why that model wouldn't do for you.

all that said....

here's what I have plugged into my mac pro: http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=duet&cat=hmm&ser=hmm I'm sure BradfordBenn knows that name.

Anyway, they're not plugged into the digital port, those are directly into the line out jack on the back. They are powered off of a conditioning power supply with a hefty 150dB isolation from the other items on it (the mac, my monitors). I love them, sound is very very good. The only complaint I have, is that if a GSM cell phone (like my iPhone) is within a couple feet of them, the periodically chirp and tweet when it talks to the cell tower.
  • Options
    RogersDA wrote:
    Thanks for the initial feedback.

I have many digital tapes that I eventually want to convert to DVD, but there will probably be no additional audio dubbing that I can think of right now.

Outside of buying a SoundBlaster card or two in the past for the PC I am really unfamiliar with what what to do/buy.

So what are you going to be listening through? BIG Speakers (taller than 24 inches), small desktop speakers, bookshelf speakers.. etc.

I have had good experience with many different USB audio devices and rather than confuse the question, I am trying to understand the listening experience. It sounds odd but if the experience is just to listen to audio while doing photo processing you probably do not want to spend the money to purchase a professional level output device. If you want to use it as a home theater center piece there is stuff in the middle.

In terms of doing digital tapes to DVD, that one depends on your interface options out of the digital tape player, but basically digital to digital should not require an audio interface that will convert it to analog.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    Offline Media Catalog Tool?
    Howdy All-

So I use a program called WhereIsIt? in the Windows World. I like it for one feature that I have not been able to find in the Mac Domain, it assigns a number to each CD/DVD that it is in the catalog. I label the media with the number as well as the name of the media. I then place the media into storage sorted by number.

So when I am looking for a file, I do my search in the catalog and the results indicate what the name of the media is, and even better the number of media. I simply flip through the media storage to find the numbered media. It is much faster than looking for something alphabetically, the big reason is that when I add another piece of media, the number is the next number so I just add it to the back of the binder.

Anyone find/know of a program that does the same feature?ne_nau.gif

Thanks.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    cabbey wrote:

here's what I have plugged into my mac pro: http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=duet&cat=hmm&ser=hmm I'm sure BradfordBenn knows that name.

I know that name very very well. I work for Harman International mwink.gif but for the pro division. So don't worry I won't just recommend Harman stuff cause it is not always the right solution.

Oh yeah, in terms of the chirping and tweeting from the GSM; pretty much everything gets the interference problems. In my car I can tell when my blackberry is "reporting in" because I hear it through the audio system. The best solution is to go to a shielded cable and ground the shield. However even that does not work all the time. I can make other suggestions but it gets expensive real quick.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    I know that name very very well. I work for Harman International mwink.gif but for the pro division. So don't worry I won't just recommend Harman stuff cause it is not always the right solution.

rolleyes1.gif small world.
    Oh yeah, in terms of the chirping and tweeting from the GSM; pretty much everything gets the interference problems. In my car I can tell when my blackberry is "reporting in" because I hear it through the audio system. The best solution is to go to a shielded cable and ground the shield. However even that does not work all the time. I can make other suggestions but it gets expensive real quick.

Yeah, our office phones used to alert us to incoming cell calls. My solution? Move the cell phone. :)
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif small world.
    Yeah, our office phones used to alert us to incoming cell calls. My solution? Move the cell phone. :)

Putting some of those ferrite rings on the speaker cables will work also.

So I'm running Vista on my Macbook Air without a problem - except that everyone tells me I'm an idiot for never using OSX. I booted into it yesterday just to play around a bit and found out that there's nothing to play with. Since it doesn't come with Office (understandable) or iLife (not so understandable) there really isn't anything I can do to get a feel for the "Mac World." Anyone got some older versions of Office for Mac or (even better) iLife they can part with? I would be interested in trying it out. Also, it seems that even though my BootCamp OSX partition is 15GB, I only have 355MB remaining. Does the OS itself really take up 14+GB?
  • Options
    So what are you going to be listening through? BIG Speakers (taller than 24 inches), small desktop speakers, bookshelf speakers.. etc.
    I have 4 Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers plus a subwoofer on the floor. The speakers plug into the subwoofer. Right now this is all for apple-computer-listening only. I do not have any plans to integrate the apple into a home theater (maybe later - much much later). I will probably look at Crutchfield. I have not been there in probably 10+ years.
  • Options
    RogersDA wrote:
    I have 4 Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers plus a subwoofer on the floor. The speakers plug into the subwoofer. Right now this is all for apple-computer-listening only. I do not have any plans to integrate the apple into a home theater (maybe later - much much later). I will probably look at Crutchfield. I have not been there in probably 10+ years.

I would say that based on that a 50W system would be a good fit for you, but they don't make anything that small anymore. So even though I work for Harman my home system is a Sony system... mainly because I have a Sony TV so one remote... however I do like the sound of it powering my JBL Studio Monitors. So I would not hesitate at the Sony STR-DG520 which they have at Crutchfield.

Hope that helps. Also I am intrigued by the iPod dock option but I have not used it.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    Pupator wrote:
    Putting some of those ferrite rings on the speaker cables will work also.

So I'm running Vista on my Macbook Air without a problem - except that everyone tells me I'm an idiot for never using OSX. I booted into it yesterday just to play around a bit and found out that there's nothing to play with. Since it doesn't come with Office (understandable) or iLife (not so understandable) there really isn't anything I can do to get a feel for the "Mac World." Anyone got some older versions of Office for Mac or (even better) iLife they can part with? I would be interested in trying it out. Also, it seems that even though my BootCamp OSX partition is 15GB, I only have 355MB remaining. Does the OS itself really take up 14+GB?

The OS size depends on how you did the install. Did you have it include the "install" files so that you would not need to provide the DVD during a System Update? Also you might want to check the Temp files from all the System Updates and "Restore" points.. I also might be wrong and these might not apply to Vista but I know they apply to XP. I do not know how to find them in Vista but in XP there is a TMP and a TEMP folder that contains these.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    The OS size depends on how you did the install. Did you have it include the "install" files so that you would not need to provide the DVD during a System Update? Also you might want to check the Temp files from all the System Updates and "Restore" points.. I also might be wrong and these might not apply to Vista but I know they apply to XP. I do not know how to find them in Vista but in XP there is a TMP and a TEMP folder that contains these.

The lack of disc space isn't on the Windows side, it's on the OSX side. But, I was able to add 7GB of space by using an app that removes the localization files from the OSX installation. So now I just need someone to find that iLife '07 cd that's sitting in a drawer... mwink.gif
  • Options
    Pupator wrote:
    The lack of disc space isn't on the Windows side, it's on the OSX side. But, I was able to add 7GB of space by using an app that removes the localization files from the OSX installation. So now I just need someone to find that iLife '07 cd that's sitting in a drawer... mwink.gif

Something is wrong, as your MBA should have come with all the apps you're talking about. You bought it used? Was the OS already installed? They must have deleted those apps? Do you have the install disk?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Something is wrong, as your MBA should have come with all the apps you're talking about. You bought it used? Was the OS already installed? They must have deleted those apps? Do you have the install disk?

I did buy it used and the guy did a full/clean install of OSX before he sent it to me. I guess it's time to pop in that Leopard disc and find the good stuff?

I'm glad to hear you say that because I was a little surprised that they make you purchase that stuff separately! Going to check....
  • Options
    Pupator wrote:
    I did buy it used and the guy did a full/clean install of OSX before he sent it to me. I guess it's time to pop in that Leopard disc and find the good stuff?

I'm glad to hear you say that because I was a little surprised that they make you purchase that stuff separately! Going to check....

To avoid having to do a full install, you may have to use Pacifist. I'm on my phone, so I can't get a URL ATM.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    To avoid having to do a full install, you may have to use Pacifist. I'm on my phone, so I can't get a URL ATM.

Nope - popped in the DVD and I was able to choose "Install Pre-loaded software only." In a sub-menu I found the iLife apps and I was able to install them. Then I went online and found that iWork has a free 30 day trial. I found a 14 day trial for an app that will sync iCal with my Outlook calendar (via Google Calendar). So it looks like I can give OSX a legit shot for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Pupator wrote:
    Nope - popped in the DVD and I was able to choose "Install Pre-loaded software only." In a sub-menu I found the iLife apps and I was able to install them. Then I went online and found that iWork has a free 30 day trial. I found a 14 day trial for an app that will sync iCal with my Outlook calendar (via Google Calendar). So it looks like I can give OSX a legit shot for 2 weeks.

I was really frustrated with iWork when I first started with it. But once used to it, I ended up preferring it over Office by a long shot. Part of that was growing used to it, and the other was that the first time I used it was when it was new, then I went away and came back to a later and much improved version. All I can say is it works differently and can be annoying at first. But not nearly as annoying as the intrusive POS that I've come to dread: MS Office. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    So anyone try Office 2008? The reason I ask is that both my wife and I are not happy with Entourage or Mail.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    So anyone try Office 2008? The reason I ask is that both my wife and I are not happy with Entourage or Mail.

Yes, I have it. But I use and like Mail, so I'm not much help to you. MS really pissed me off by sneaking in the .docx BS
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Office 08 is all I use - I assume the Mac version is the same as the Windows version. The ribbon (menu user interface) is very nice and the applications seem snappier than the '03 counterparts.
  • Options
    Pupator wrote:
    Office 08 is all I use - I assume the Mac version is the same as the Windows version. The ribbon (menu user interface) is very nice and the applications seem snappier than the '03 counterparts.

I am using Office 2007 at the office and coming back to the Mac Version of Office 2003 is making my head hurt. Stuff is that differently placed. I am thinking that during my upcoming biz trip I need to make time for the Apple Store to try the software out as there is no trial like there is for Windows!!!
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited September 24, 2008
    I am using Office 2007 at the office and coming back to the Mac Version of Office 2003 is making my head hurt. Stuff is that differently placed. I am thinking that during my upcoming biz trip I need to make time for the Apple Store to try the software out as there is no trial like there is for Windows!!!

headscratch.gif That's lame about no trial on the Mac Version.

Yeah, the "ribbon" is the biggest UI change in 2007. It makes things way easier to find and they're far more naturally grouped....once you're used to it. Going back and forth between 03 and 07 would be quite confusing.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    I changed my format from .docx to .doc. I didn't like that slip either. But I am already so used to Office so going to another would be tough.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com