Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Thanks for all of the great information everyone.

The MacPro arrived today. I got it all hooked up and running (took 2 minutes vice the normal 2 hours on a Windows machine). Tonight I will start adding the software and restoring the data from the now dead PC.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Thanks for all of the great information everyone.

The MacPro arrived today. I got it all hooked up and running (took 2 minutes vice the normal 2 hours on a Windows machine). Tonight I will start adding the software and restoring the data from the now dead PC.

Congrats on your macbook pro!!
    do you have the dock locked using some tool like Onyx or something that simplifies the terminal settings?

Oh I was joking around! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    Congrats on your macbook pro!!
    Close - just a MacPro.
    Thanks, too!!
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    oh... >.>

I meant Mac Pro!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    Learn me some more:

I downloaded firefox to the computer. Dragged the firefox icon to the applications folder as instructed. From the applications folder I then dragged the firefox icon to the dock as instructed. Clicking on the dock's icon runs firefox. That's great.

Now, what do I do with a) the dowloaded file in the downloads folder (firefox 3.0.1.dmg which is 17.2 MB) and b) the firefox disk image on the desktop?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Learn me some more:

I downloaded firefox to the computer. Dragged the firefox icon to the applications folder as instructed. From the applications folder I then dragged the firefox icon to the dock as instructed. Clicking on the dock's icon runs firefox. That's great.

Now, what do I do with a) the dowloaded file in the downloads folder (firefox 3.0.1.dmg which is 17.2 MB) and b) the firefox disk image on the desktop?

you can toss them both. The dmg is basically like a zip file, and the disk image is basically an installer. They are actually far more than that, but it is a useful analogy to the Windows world. The Firefox file in your Applications folder is the app. Removing it from the Applications folder is the same as uninstalling.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

DMG is short for Disk Image, so think of it as like a physical installer disk, since it behaves exactly the same way (mount, install, "eject"). If you still have a disk image on your desktop (not talking about the DMG here) then eject it now (File menu/Eject). Leaving it around would be like leaving an install CD mounted. That will leave you with the DMG file, which you can keep as long as you like.

I keep large disk images on an archive drive because I don't want to have to download them again in the future if I need to reinstall for some reason. For example the Mac OS X 10.5.4 Combo Update is 554.3MB, half a gigabyte.

I often don't bother to keep disk images that are small enough to re-download fast, or frequently updated, because there's usually another update coming soon (web browsers for instance).

Another reason to keep disk images is if you don't want to get trapped if a program's "upgrade" has a bad bug or two and you want to be able to go back to the previous version. Sometimes companies don't keep old versions available for download, so if you didn't hang onto your old version, you're stuck.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    WTF Safari icon won't stay in my Dock, it's possessed :yikes

20080812-d1nn6jgqiestjd6h8bgebymd1h.jpg

And if I close Safari it won't be in my Dock any more :cry
    Bump!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Bump!

You probably dragged it out of your dock by mistake. When you open the app it's not going to stay in the dock unless you tell it to. Right click on it and choose Keep in Dock.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You probably dragged it out of your dock by mistake. When you open the app it's not going to stay in the dock unless you tell it to. Right click on it and choose Keep in Dock.
    I'm familiar with that behavior.

I'm not the only one? http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6339611 see the 3rd to last post :(

@#*(%&)@#(%&
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    How many items can you put in the dock?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 13, 2008
    Just a wild-assed guess, Andy, but are you synchronizing your desktop with another machine? If so, check its state as well.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:

eek7.gif

That's a lot of programs in that dock...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Just a wild-assed guess, Andy, but are you synchronizing your desktop with another machine? If so, check its state as well.
    I was but no longer. I had dock items synced w/ MobileMe and I think that's what's hosed it :(
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    andy, don't be so lame. just use quicksilver as your app launcher and drag everything out of your dock. Then your dock becomes really useful since it shows you very clearly what apps are running at any given time (no more squinting for the tiny floor light thingy).

deal.gif

00000021.png
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    andy, don't be so lame. just use quicksilver as your app launcher and drag everything out of your dock. Then your dock becomes really useful since it shows you very clearly what apps are running at any given time (no more squinting for the tiny floor light thingy).

deal.gif

00000021.png

I do that, kind of. What I keep in the dock are things that a) are going to be open all the time, anyway. Or b) items that I want to be able to drag things onto.

cmd-tab is a great way to see what's open. I hide my dock, so either way I'd have to do something to see what's open. I also keep it on the side. I prefer that look to the floor reflecting thing, and the hard to see glowing lights that indicate an app is open.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

deal.gif

00000021.png
    :nah How about answering my question instead of telling me to use another app :D
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    :nah How about answering my question instead of telling me to use another app :D
    That's an easy one mwink.gif I don't know the answer, I just know a better way of doing things deal.gif

• Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    That's an easy one mwink.gif I don't know the answer, I just know a better way of doing things deal.gif

lol3.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I'm not the only one? http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6339611 see the 3rd to last post :(

@#*(%&)@#(%&

And another:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7871392#7871392

:(
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Andy wrote:

@#*(%&)@#(%&

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7874634#7874634

Fixed!
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    1Password uses the OS X Keychain. It can auto-fill passwords and forms; it has a browser plug-in.

It's a bit of a win for convenience, but personally I used it and stopped using it because I just go to Keychain Access and look up any passwords that I happen to forget. If think if I were more disciplined and used 1Password's extra features more (e.g. it can auto-generate a STRONG password for you for a site, and have a unique password for each site) it would be worth it, but ::shrug::

It's taken me all this time to figure out that CatOne has steered me wrong. lol3.gif

(And he's usually so right!)

Actually, I'm sure it's just a matter of taste, but I think I'm in love with 1Password.

What got me to try it was the iPhone implementation, which while far from perfect (no landscape view in the browser!!!), is a real boon for accessing sites that I have strong passwords for (generated by 1Password). My online banking PW, for instance, is 20 characters of meaningless gibberish. Very strong. I would never remember or want to type it in, and now on my iPhone, my laptop, my desktop, no matter where I'm at, I can get in, easy peasy. deal.gif

1P can store identities (contact info for personal, business, etc.) and fill it in for you. I can easily access multiple logins for one site. It can store your CC #'s, your Amazon S3 account, anything, really. It's well organized and has me working much more efficiently.

I used to go into Keychain all the time to look up passwords, like CatOne. I've even heard of one guy, who shall remain unnamed, who stored his passwords on a spreadsheet printed out and kept next to his computer!!! :D Can you imagine?

Anyway, I'm really happy with it. If passwords have you down, give it a try.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I used to go into Keychain all the time to look up passwords, like CatOne. I've even heard of one guy, who shall remain unnamed, who stored his passwords on a spreadsheet printed out and kept next to his computer!!! :D Can you imagine?

I just put all my passwords in a regular html page on my site. deal.gif

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I also keep it on the side. I prefer that look to the floor reflecting thing, and the hard to see glowing lights that indicate an app is open.

If that visual style is what you want, you can have it on the bottom too:
    defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's taken me all this time to figure out that CatOne has steered me wrong. lol3.gif

(And he's usually so right!)

Actually, I'm sure it's just a matter of taste, but I think I'm in love with 1Password.

What got me to try it was the iPhone implementation, which while far from perfect (no landscape view in the browser!!!), is a real boon for accessing sites that I have strong passwords for (generated by 1Password). My online banking PW, for instance, is 20 characters of meaningless gibberish. Very strong. I would never remember or want to type it in, and now on my iPhone, my laptop, my desktop, no matter where I'm at, I can get in, easy peasy. deal.gif

1P can store identities (contact info for personal, business, etc.) and fill it in for you. I can easily access multiple logins for one site. It can store your CC #'s, your Amazon S3 account, anything, really. It's well organized and has me working much more efficiently.

Uh oh... maybe you'll hold out on me now with that lens mwink.gif

Note though, that you _can_ use the Keychain in combination with Safari's autofill to automatically fill in username/password info on pages, much the same way that 1Password can. Safari Preferences->AutoFill, check "User Names and Passwords" and it will do about the same.

1Password does have some nice things, but there are a few things that bug me about it:

1) It's a browser plug-in which is unsupported by Apple, and which can cause issues. I had an issue with Safari crashing daily for a couple weeks and it was due to a bug in 1Password. Debugging this stuff is annoying. Filing a bug with Apple engineering and having them point to the point in the stack trace where it shows it's 1Password... embarrasing mwink.gif

2) It's sorta like Hotel California. Put your usernames and passwords in there, and I don't know how you can easily get them out. You can import from the Keychain to 1Password, but you can't get the stuff out when you quit as it hashes its passwords within they Keychain itself.

3) They're generally pretty quick to support new browser release from Apple (usually within a day of release), but I sometimes use pre-release versions (and right now I'm using Webkit) and they're not always compatible. This is largely self-imposed by living on the bleeding edge, but it can cause issues. I quit using PithHelmet for largely the same reasons -- #1 and #3 -- even though it was a fairly good ad blocking plug-in.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    O.k. - another newbie embarrassing question: the Mac now has two optical drives. However, the Mac keyboard has a button that open and closes only the the door on the top drive.

When I created my virtual machine, Fusion itself opened the bottom drive for me to insert the WinXP disk for installation.

Now I can't seem to find out how to eject that disk. There are no icons on the desktop for me to drag to the trash/eject icon in the dock.

So how does this Mac newbie eject the lower disk?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Well - in the WinXP environment the 2nd optical drive is there in "My Computer" - I can eject the disk there. Problem solved for the windows environment.

Still - how would you do it in the Mac?

RogersDA wrote:
    O.k. - another newbie embarrassing question: the Mac now has two optical drives. However, the Mac keyboard has a button that open and closes only the the door on the top drive.

When I created my virtual machine, Fusion itself opened the bottom drive for me to insert the WinXP disk for installation.

Now I can't seem to find out how to eject that disk. There are no icons on the desktop for me to drag to the trash/eject icon in the dock.

So how does this Mac newbie eject the lower disk?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well - in the WinXP environment the 2nd optical drive is there in "My Computer" - I can eject the disk there. Problem solved for the windows environment.

Still - how would you do it in the Mac?

You simply either drag icon to trash, or right click on icon and choose 'eject'

if icon isnt on desktop, then go to Finder>Preferences>General...check what you want on your desktop, in this case assume this in an external drive, so check that box, then icons will show when mounted, not with unmounted