Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    My PS3 & Wii work better than Apple TV. It is a pity that it isn't better as I am still looking for a better solution. So close and yet so far.

[Warning - this post has nothing to do with Apple]

I've got a PS3 with PlayOn and Windows Media Center installed on my desktop. WMC allows us to stream our divx files direct to the TV. PlayOn gives us Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, and MLB access.

Last week I added a Roku to the mix. I'm very impressed so far as the interface is nice and clean and easy to navigate. It is much better than PlayOn for Netflix and it adds Amazon VOD access (that was experimental and temperamental on PlayOn).

Now I'm not sure what to do. I was going to use the Roku in my office, but it does such a good job with Netflix and Amazon VOD that I hate to remove it from the main TV. PlayOn is pretty much redundant now, so I won't be renewing that. I wish the Roku could handle the streaming of local divx files as well as the PS3 does, but even if it did I'd still have to keep the PS3 in there for Blu-ray. *sigh*

I'm with you - still looking for a better solution.
  • esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    So, I will be in the market for a new laptop soon and I am thinking of abandoning the PC and going for the MacBook pro.

I only read back a few pages, but is everyone happy with theirs? Should I get the extended warranty?

For me using LightroomPhotoshop Elements, iTunes, opening a Word document, and surfing the web at the same time, which processor you think would meet my needs? Would the i5 be sufficient (or maybe too much)?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    esc2476 wrote: »
    So, I will be in the market for a new laptop soon and I am thinking of abandoning the PC and going for the MacBook pro.

I only read back a few pages, but is everyone happy with theirs? Should I get the extended warranty?

For me using LightroomPhotoshop Elements, iTunes, opening a Word document, and surfing the web at the same time, which processor you think would meet my needs? Would the i5 be sufficient (or maybe too much)?

i5 is fine, get 8gb ram if you can afford it - buying the ram from crucial.com will save you a couple hundred bucks and it's dead-simple to install :)

Yes, get applecare.
    edited September 9, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    i5 is fine, get 8gb ram if you can afford it - buying the ram from crucial.com will save you a couple hundred bucks and it's dead-simple to install :)

Yes, get applecare.

Thank you for your suggestions Andy. I did see your posts about applecare, so I will factor that into the cost...though I always buy the warranties for laptops anyway because they can be expensive to fix.

If I open the case of the Macbook myself, that wouldn't void any warranty? I certainly do not mind doing that to save the $$$.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    If I open the case of the Macbook myself, that wouldn't void any warranty?

No.
    edited September 9, 2010
    Great, thanks for the quick responses Andy. I appreciate everything you do. thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 12, 2010
    Funny, Applecare wouldn't cover this:

1001915316_dqoRV-L.jpg

:cry

In all fairness, phone support was very helpful. They told us (when we can afford it), we'll get free Applecare if we buy a replacement, and the genius noted our account so that we get a $100 discount when we're ready to buy another. Yeah, only 10%, but better than "sorry, tough luck".
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    In all fairness, phone support was very helpful. They told us (when we can afford it), we'll get free Applecare if we buy a replacement, and the genius noted our account so that we get a $100 discount when we're ready to buy another. Yeah, only 10%, but better than "sorry, tough luck".

Man, that stinks. Looks pretty gnarly.

I'm pretty sure that's the same as the educational discount, which you'd get anyway. :D

But free Applecare is nice!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    I now have an iPhone 3G with broken wireless radio.

$199.00 to repair vice $299 for a new phone = new iPhone 4. :D
    edited September 19, 2010
    Looks like B&H has lower prices on the MacBooks. I have ordered photo gear from them plenty of times (especially when I worked in Manhattan and could walk over there), but has anyone order Macs from them before? If so, is your experience any different?
    Looks like B&H has lower prices on the MacBooks. I have ordered photo gear from them plenty of times (especially when I worked in Manhattan and could walk over there), but has anyone order Macs from them before? If so, is your experience any different?
    They're reputable. Period. Doesn't matter what you buy there.

I will say that I pay the premium and buy direct from Apple. I do this for one reason only: I had a MBP that failed in the first week I had it (bad I/O on the motherboard). Apple would have exchanged it on the spot for a brand new one if I had bought from them, but since I had purchased 3rd party they said "it's a different return protocol." Meaning they can't accept returns on Amazon sales. Makes sense. I had to either return it to Amazon or send it in for repair and be without it. I sent it in for repair, but if I had bought from Apple would have only had the downtime of restoring my backup. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I will say that I pay the premium and buy direct from Apple.

I buy direct from Apple while always trying to not pay the premium, in two ways. If I need Apple hardware, I will check the Refurbished section of their online store, knowing that buying refurbished Apple is as good and as fully warranted as new. Then, I will compare that price to the discount I get from my NAPP membership (photoshopuser.com). I'll take whichever deal is better, never paying full price.

B&H is rock solid reputable too, though, if their deal is better.
    Thank you both!

I am having trouble deciding.....

I am looking at the base 17" which is $2090 at B&H. (Link)

I am also thinking about the 17" with the faster hard drive and hi-res anti-glare screen which is $2398: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/685886-REG/Apple_Z0GP_0001_17_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

Or a refurbished model from the<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CEric%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CEric%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CEric%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"> Apple Store which is the same as the one above, but with the faster i7 2.66 processor for $2169: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC665LL/A?mco=MTgxNTExNzE

I guess my question is if you see a huge difference in the screens. This will be my primary screen for editing photos. Because I am not a pro, I am okay with that.

I can spend the money, but I would rather not and if there really is no difference between the refurbished and new, I may go with the last option.
    Thank you both!
    if there really is no difference between the refurbished and new, I may go with the last option.

There is none. Same warranty. The only caveat with refurbs is that sometimes, especially when they've just announced new machines, you'll get the previous generation if you're not careful. Just pay attention to what you're getting and refurb is fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
    There is none. Same warranty. The only caveat with refurbs is that sometimes, especially when they've just announced new machines, you'll get the previous generation if you're not careful. Just pay attention to what you're getting and refurb is fine.
    Great-thanks thumb.gif

This is definitely the latest generation because it has the i7 processor.
    edited September 24, 2010
    So, this long decision process is almost over. I am deciding between two refurbished models and I would appreciate everyone's input.

This model is a 17" with anti-glare and the 2.53 i5 processor. It has 4GB RAM which I would probably upgrade to 8GB myself.

This model is $170 more and is the same in all respects, except it has the 2.66 i7 processor.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I will be using the computer for photo editing in LR and PSE (maybe PS), some video editing, word processing for work (going to buy Word for Mac), iTunes, etc. - much of it at the same time (hence the desire to upgrade the RAM).

I just want to confirm that the i5 will be sufficient. My worry is that I plan on having this laptop for at least 4 years and if LR becomes more feature rich then the i5 will start to lag. Anyone have any thoughts? Right now, would I notice a difference between the two with the tasks I am running? If so, what would that difference be?

I appreciate everyone's help.
    edited September 24, 2010
    I decided to listen to Andy's advice from a few weeks ago and went with the i5. I will use the money I save for the RAM.

Ordered! Can't wait until it comes.
    edited September 28, 2010
    Optimize images for the web. Easy. Sure you can use PS, but if you do it a lot, this might be just the thing. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Just got my new (for me) MacBook Pro. It is wonderful!
    Any suggestions - must haves - are appreciated.
    Just got my new (for me) MacBook Pro. It is wonderful!
    Awesome!
    Moderator Emeritus
    I like Keyboard Cleaner, which disables your keyboard so that you can clean off the peanut butter that you got on it.

I just got Alarms, which I like. Adds to-dos to iCal with awesome interface (I like it, anyway).

I love LaunchBar. App launcher and more.

DropBox Sync files with web and other devices/users.

TextExpander auto-expand shortcuts into text (good for posting things on Dgrin, or code, etc.

SMARTReporter shows SMART status of your drive in your toolbar

Adium multi-protocol chat

1Password strengthens your passwords, but keeps it simple

Evernote local/online notes

Skitch LOVE THIS ONE screen grabs on steroids. Hosts your images, too.

Hazel Finds related files when you delete an app and prompts you to delete them, as well.

Disk Warrior Repairs your disk directory better than any other utility.

AppleJack runs shell scripts from single user mode to improve performance (under the hood stuff)

SuperDuper awesome backup app

Tweetie twitter client

Sneak Peak Photo fantastic add-on for quicklook in the finder.

ONYX free and awesome system utility thingy

That should keep you busy for a bit!
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 29, 2010
    In addition to agreeing with DavidTO's list, here are some more, most of these are free:

iStat menus or MenuMeters as a quick dashboard in your menu bar (CPU, disk, network rates, etc). Good way to spot problems.

Cameras - control which app opens when you plug in a specific camera, so you can have a different app import from your phone vs your DSLR, or prevent unwanted app launches

coconutBattery - more detailed battery info

DiskInventory X - what's taking up all the room on my hard disk?

Flip4Mac and Perian - if you have both, you'll be able to play almost any Mac or Windows video format you encounter on websites

FunctionFlip - Choose which function keys work as function keys while the rest work as hardware keys

Growl - if you want more detailed notifications for various events

CyberDuck - free great FTP (although I paid for Transmit)

VirtualBox - run Windows on your Mac for free (plus cost of Windows license)

iStumbler - identify all local wireless networks and their signal strength over time

PhoneDisk and Phone View - if you want access to the contents of your iPhone beyond what iTunes shows you

PhotoRescue - retrieve deleted/damaged photos off of cards

TextWrangler - my favorite tool for editing CSS and JavaScript for Smugmug customization

VueScan - to run all my scanners

Pref Setter - search, read and edit all your apps' preferences files

TinkerTool - access hidden preferences including some Onyx does not

Zipeg - inspect Zip archives
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    New in here, so be kind and easy on this Mac n00b. Finger is on the button for a Mac Pro. Any day now. Got a couple Q's.

1. I have a perfectly working ViewSonic 23" VP231wb IPS 1920x1200 monitor that I love. About 4.5 years old. Has an accurate sRGD built-in profile that is, AFAIK, spot on. I have never bothered to calibrate it on the Win box because it just worked. If this is hooked up DVI-style to the new Pro's 5770 graphics card with OSX 10.6, what can I expect in the way of accuracy? (I do know to use gamma 2.2). Other than that, what else? Some Mac voodoo setings in pref's? Or do I just park in OSX default mode and do all my adjustments with the monitor hardware buttons?

2. Wireless connection for the Mac Pro. They can put something in it at Apple (not in their configurator, though). Should I just let them do that, or get a wireless something or else at Amazon, etc.? Really clueless on this one, since we've connected, um, somehow else lately, or by stealing waves from neighbors on our lappy's, which I will not admit to unless I'm tortured. (will be ordering up a real broadband service too, since we've got enough use for it now).

Thanks!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    David_S85 wrote: »
    1. I have a perfectly working ViewSonic...If this is hooked up DVI-style to the new Pro's 5770 graphics card with OSX 10.6, what can I expect in the way of accuracy? (I do know to use gamma 2.2).

The operation should be the same as having any other LCD monitor connected. There may be model-specific issues, but you'd have to search for those. On the whole it should just work as long as it's a standard DVI monitor. One of the monitors on my Mac Pro is an old CRT connected via a VGA adapter and it works...
    2. Wireless connection for the Mac Pro. They can put something in it at Apple (not in their configurator, though). Should I just let them do that, or get a wireless something or else at Amazon, etc.?

That's up to you. Mine does not have wireless because I use Gigabit Ethernet cabled. I have heard that using the official internal Apple AirPort wireless card may not get the best reception, and since it isn't doesn't need to be mobile like a laptop, you have the option of getting one of those standalone Ethernet wireless adapters, sometimes marketed as wireless gaming adapters. They are just a wireless box with an Ethernet plug, you plug it into any device that supports Ethernet (like one of the Mac Pro's two Ethernet ports) and it would bridge the Ethernet port to Wi-Fi.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    colourbox wrote: »
    The operation should be the same as having any other LCD monitor connected. There may be model-specific issues, but you'd have to search for those. On the whole it should just work as long as it's a standard DVI monitor. One of the monitors on my Mac Pro is an old CRT connected via a VGA adapter and it works....

CRT? Really? Ha. Well, good to know some things are really really backward compatable. I was drooling over the Dell 30" U3011. Man oh man. And how Apple can't even see fit to include HDMI inputs into a spanking new 27" LED CS, that can only hurt them in the long run. Haven't read anywhere how one can calibrate it either. So I can wait a while. The wife wants the 23" VS for her laptop. Can't blame her, as sh uses InDesign to do newsletters for her job, and 1024x768 is just unusable for that. I would like to think that with 1GB of vRAM, the MP can be hooked up to one ginormous 2560x1600 AND a 1920x1200. Just in case I go totally nutz.

That's up to you. Mine does not have wireless because I use Gigabit Ethernet cabled. I have heard that using the official internal Apple AirPort wireless card may not get the best reception, and since it isn't doesn't need to be mobile like a laptop, you have the option of getting one of those standalone Ethernet wireless adapters, sometimes marketed as wireless gaming adapters. They are just a wireless box with an Ethernet plug, you plug it into any device that supports Ethernet (like one of the Mac Pro's two Ethernet ports) and it would bridge the Ethernet port to Wi-Fi.

Thanks. Wired is impossible in our 100-year old house unless they drill holes through the outside walls and bring cables up the siding. If you think I'm kidding I should shoot a pic of our phone wires. mwink.gif Also, our estate is so huge that any one computer, at its absolute farthest, could be up to 20 feet away from a wireless router. My bigger decision is between Comcast, ATT and WOW for providers. They all suck equally. The forum in my hometown has hundreds of pages on them all that prove that sad fact daily.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    BackBlaze!

Don't forget BackBlaze!
    Wired is impossible in our 100-year old house unless they drill holes through the outside walls and bring cables up the siding....our estate is so huge that any one computer, at its absolute farthest, could be up to 20 feet away from a wireless router.

My office is at the far end of my home. I cannot run cables, wireless won't punch through the walls, so I have resorted to powerline networking to get data from the router all the way to the office. The Gigabit Ethernet branch is only among the office computers.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Mac links
    Here are some links to info that were very helpful to me as I transitioned to Mac from Windows:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2514?viewlocale=en_US

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac/hack-attack-a-guide-for-switching-to-a-mac-224674.php

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/

And two good lists of all sorts of Mac software:

http://bestmacsoftware.org/

http://mactech.ca/freemacapps/

Oh and if you think you will use Windows for a while, I highly recommend VMWare Fusion, which lets you run MS Windows in a...er...window on the Mac. Even cooler, is that you can attach your Windows pc to the network, and VMWare Fusion will simply copy the entire thing to the Mac, allowing you to basically run your existing Windows and apps from the Mac.
    I like Keyboard Cleaner, which disables your keyboard so that you can clean off the peanut butter that you got on it.

I just got Alarms, which I like. Adds to-dos to iCal with awesome interface (I like it, anyway).

I love LaunchBar. App launcher and more.

DropBox Sync files with web and other devices/users.

TextExpander auto-expand shortcuts into text (good for posting things on Dgrin, or code, etc.

SMARTReporter shows SMART status of your drive in your toolbar

Adium multi-protocol chat

1Password strengthens your passwords, but keeps it simple

Evernote local/online notes

Skitch LOVE THIS ONE screen grabs on steroids. Hosts your images, too.

Hazel Finds related files when you delete an app and prompts you to delete them, as well.

Disk Warrior Repairs your disk directory better than any other utility.

AppleJack runs shell scripts from single user mode to improve performance (under the hood stuff)

SuperDuper awesome backup app

Tweetie twitter client

Sneak Peak Photo fantastic add-on for quicklook in the finder.

ONYX free and awesome system utility thingy

That should keep you busy for a bit!
    colourbox wrote: »
    In addition to agreeing with DavidTO's list, here are some more, most of these are free:

iStat menus or MenuMeters as a quick dashboard in your menu bar (CPU, disk, network rates, etc). Good way to spot problems.

Cameras - control which app opens when you plug in a specific camera, so you can have a different app import from your phone vs your DSLR, or prevent unwanted app launches

coconutBattery - more detailed battery info

DiskInventory X - what's taking up all the room on my hard disk?

Flip4Mac and Perian - if you have both, you'll be able to play almost any Mac or Windows video format you encounter on websites

FunctionFlip - Choose which function keys work as function keys while the rest work as hardware keys

Growl - if you want more detailed notifications for various events

CyberDuck - free great FTP (although I paid for Transmit)

VirtualBox - run Windows on your Mac for free (plus cost of Windows license)

iStumbler - identify all local wireless networks and their signal strength over time

PhoneDisk and Phone View - if you want access to the contents of your iPhone beyond what iTunes shows you

PhotoRescue - retrieve deleted/damaged photos off of cards

TextWrangler - my favorite tool for editing CSS and JavaScript for Smugmug customization

VueScan - to run all my scanners

Pref Setter - search, read and edit all your apps' preferences files

TinkerTool - access hidden preferences including some Onyx does not

Zipeg - inspect Zip archives
    Don't forget BackBlaze!
    cmason wrote: »
    Here are some links to info that were very helpful to me as I transitioned to Mac from Windows:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2514?viewlocale=en_US

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac/hack-attack-a-guide-for-switching-to-a-mac-224674.php

http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/

And two good lists of all sorts of Mac software:

http://bestmacsoftware.org/

http://mactech.ca/freemacapps/

Oh and if you think you will use Windows for a while, I highly recommend VMWare Fusion, which lets you run MS Windows in a...er...window on the Mac. Even cooler, is that you can attach your Windows pc to the network, and VMWare Fusion will simply copy the entire thing to the Mac, allowing you to basically run your existing Windows and apps from the Mac.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I can't wait to go home and try them out bowdown.gif