Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    CatOne wrote: »
    I've heard the spots go away in time. The LCD is bonded to the glass, and the bonding agent has to "cure." I think the yellow indicates the thing was produced and shipped out so fast that the bonding agent hasn't completely cured yet.

That said, you can count on Gizmodo to write articles with a negative slant toward Apple. I mean, given they've been blackballed and everything, and no longer get invites to legitimate press events, they have to lash out somehow :D
    Yeah - pretty much agree. Gizmodo is still a fun read though. Interesting article on the antenna you posted, too. Still - that's why I never go out and order the first items of a new device. We wait for the bugs/deficiencies to be identified and worked out - then go get the thing.

So - the spouse and I sit on the sidelines waiting to see if Verizon get's into the iPhone business, too. Maybe we'll upgrade if that happens.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    a local photographer and scientist did an in-depth analysis of the 'retina' aspect of the new iphone - slashdot picked it up today and crashed the site, but it's back up now :) awesome info:

http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjones/2010/06/apple-retina-display/
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    So after trying the --standard way-- to go to iOS 4.0 I had to do an alternative method. Just installing 4.0 causes a backup to be performed. Like many others this got stuck at about 5%. Canceled, resynced, restore to factory (which then installed 4.0), and then finally a resync to resinstall all the apps.

So far 4.0 goodness is working well on the 3G. I am digging the folders and the all-in-one email inbox.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    RogersDA wrote: »

? I have no issues - no yellow spot nor any antenna issues. Got 5bars in my hand as we speak.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 27, 2010
    So far 4.0 goodness is working well on the 3G. I am digging the folders and the all-in-one email inbox.
    Are you enjoying how painfully slow and laggy it is as well? I am! I can send out smoke signals faster than I can type a text message now. rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Maybe you need to do a restore?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread
    Actually mine is no slower than before (and there was no real lag at all before).
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    ? I have no issues - no yellow spot nor any antenna issues. Got 5bars in my hand as we speak.
    I definitely have the reception issue. Just touch the seam on the lower left as you look at the screen and in moments I'll drop bars or lose the signal altogether. Every single time. It's not a huge deal for me, since I don't really hold it that way, but I pass the phone to someone else I have to give a tutorial on it. I am getting the bumper, which will eliminate the issue, assuming I like the bumper. I wanted to try it, anyway.

Also, I hear that a goodly portion of the issue is how the software handles the changes in frequency and reception, or whatever, and that a fix is on the way. We'll see.

Otherwise, I really really love this phone. I was a little hesitant on day 1, but the more I use it the more I like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    I will also state that the wife's 3G phone was substantially laggy after the 4.0 upgrade and resyncing all of her apps. i shut the phone down and then restarted it. The lagginess seems to have gone away.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 29, 2010
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Maybe you need to do a restore?
    I've tried it all: reset, sync... everything short of backing up to a previous point. Ah well. The lagginess comes and goes, always present when first waking up after more than a few minutes. I guess it's just old and needs it time to get going! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    I've tried it all: reset, sync... everything short of backing up to a previous point. Ah well. The lagginess comes and goes, always present when first waking up after more than a few minutes. I guess it's just old and needs it time to get going! lol3.gif
    Consider it a "feature", implemented by ATT, to get you to buy the new iPhone 4 and the associated contract that goes with it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2010
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    How about some iPad App recommendations? I'm really curious to hear what apps you guys have found that are worth buying.

Here are my favorites:
    Instapaper - for marking articles to read later. Also has a built-in URL shortener for twitter postings
    MLB At Bat - combined with the MLB.TV subscription = live TV of all my Braves games
    SugarSync - $50/year gives me access to all of my files on the cloud. Integration with DocsToGo allows docs to be pulled down from and saved back to the cloud
    Simplenote - for quick, easy notes
    AirVideo - streams my videos from my home desktop. Really, really cool.
    GoodReader - best app for opening all kinds of documents
    DocsToGo - I tried Pages, QuickOffice and this - DocsToGo is the one that stuck. I've still got lots on my wish-list though.
    LogMeIn - remote access to PCs (I use this to give tech support to others or for a task that I need my desktop's power to accomplish)
    and of course - Smugmug!

There are a few others that I use but those are the ones I really wouldn't want to do without.

Suggestions...?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    I'll bite. First, let me explain why I bought the iPad: I have Macs at home, and a PC for work. Also, work provides me with a Blackberry that is brilliant for work/email/calendar, but stinks for everything else. I travel quite a bit, and spend many hours in planes. Given my Mac has all my personal info, music, movies, contacts, etc, and my work PC does not, I would love to have a 'portable' version of my Mac info.
    • iPhone would be great, but I already have a phone, and don't see the need to have a second phone
    • Macbook: again brilliant, but lugging around two laptops is not ideal or even feasible in airports (TSA, chargers, weight, etc).
    • iPod touch: my kids have them, and they are every bit as good as the iPhone, except for 1)no 3G data for checking travel plans, plane schedules, looking up phone numbers on road, 2) not GPS. If iPod touch had GPS and 3G, it would be a done deal.

So for me, iPad fits perfectly: sync's with the iMac, is lightweight and portable, offers 3G and GPS, and for me is the CHEAPER alternative. Cheaper? Yep:
    • Macbook: minimum $1100 and thats the basic one (no plastic one is not an option here). Wifi will be extra charges at airports, hotels etc.
    • iPhone: $300 to purchase, plus $100 per month or $2700 over two year contract
    • iPad 32GB 3G: $750 to buy, $15 per month data. Even if I buy data monthly, which won't happen, my cost is still $1100 over two years, or about the same as the Macbook, and it includes data (no data in the $1100 Macbook)+ it includes a Kindle ($189-$389 value)

So, the iPad is the ideal device for me, fits perfectly in my needs, AND offers video, plus book reading (always lusted after a Kindle). So included in my 'bargain' is a Kindle as well! Granted, it Apple shipped an iPod Touch 3G, that would be a very close call for me.

Here are apps I recommend:
    () free, ($) up to $2, ($$) up to $6, ($$$) $9 and above

My current Top 5:

Reeder: RSS feed reader, sync's perfectly with Google Reader. Cache's for offline viewing, perfect for catching up on blogs while in the air ($$)

Instapaper: As Paul mentions, the perfect app for reading those longer articles. Reeder integrates with it, so you can send articles to Instapaper from Reeder: Joy! ($$)

Taska: nice to do list app, great interface, and syncs with Toodledoo, so I have access to my to dos from all my PCs. ($$)

Weatherbug: gotta know the weather, great single page view, and location aware ()

NPR: brilliant app that shows news, finds live streams of NPR shows, and plays any NPR program, even archives. Needs connectivity, but this is a huge winner. ()

(Ok maybe Top 6/7: I can not leave our iBooks and Kindle app: I love, love, love, ebooks now. I have the Kindle plus so much more!)

Other recommended apps:

News:

USA Today: ok mindless drivel, but it has a nice layout and give a good overview of top stories.()

NY Times Editors Choice: it could be so much more, if NY Times could figure out a sensible business model ()

Financial Times: dramatically better content than NY Times, with finance focus ()

Bloomberg: stocks and financial news ()

NASDAQ QFolio: stock ticker/tracker...its cool just to watch the numbers go fast ()

Photo stuff:

Smugmug app: nice addition, easier than web page ()

Guardian Eyewitness: Awesome app featuring amazing photos from Guardian staff ()

Observatory: its a very fancy clock, BUT brilliant for photogs, because it shows the Golden hours, sunrise, sunset for your current location. Cool to look at too ($)

Games:

FlightControl HD: similar to iPhone version, bigger and better. Great game for downtime ($$)

RealRacing HD: awesome auto racing simulation, you probably have seen it in the Apple store. Love it, but not so good in an airplane, where your elbows tend to hit folks nearby ($$$)

Crosswords: brilliant on the iPad, works like 'real thing' plus hints and lookups. i suddenly like crossword puzzles again. ($$$)

Plants vs Zombies HD: if you haven't played...don't. Its like a drug, you want more and you can't stop. ($$$)

Travel:

Google Earth: just like the embedded Maps app, but Google Earth also sync's with your My Maps, and other Layers for additional overlays of info ()

Gowalla: cool to let friends know where you are and find cool places when traveling ()

Beat the Traffic: awesome app to fire up once at rental car place, can tell you what road NOT to take.()

Point Inside: iphone app, but great info for airports etc ()

Tripit: iphone app too, but I use and love Tripit ()

Other cool things:

powerone LE: if you are an RPN calculator nerd, this one's for you ()

Weatherstation: another weather app, but simple and cool look like a weather station()

Wundermap: i love Weather Underground, this is the full screen view showing radar and temps on your local map()

Kindle app: mentioned it before, worth saying again()

Adobe Ideas: cool drawing app, works great in trying out and idea. Essentially turns iPad into an electronic paper napkin ()

Dropbox: great to sync with Mac, but since I don't yet have Pages or Docs to go, limited value just yet. ()
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    AppleCare Rocks
    I've said it before but I'm saying it again! AppleCare rocks. My 11-year old son's 13" lappy had a broken down-arrow key, and the battery cover underneath wouldn't stay latched. I called AppleCare on Wednesday, shipping box arrived Thursday morning, Fedex picked up said shipping box with the lappy in it on Thursday afternoon, and it all arrived back to me this morning, Saturday, 10am - back to perfect condition.

thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    I agree with AppleCare being worth it; but I am also scared with how much I have used it. I have replaced a battery, replaced a logic board, and now replaced an Airport (yes, if you but the airport when you buy the machine and AppleCare it is covered). It does very much rock and I have saved a bunch of money cause I have it. I have it on every Apple item I have. I wonder if that is a bad sign that I feel I need it on everything from Apple.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    I too have AppleCare, and have used it to replace the video card in my iMac. However, this is little different than every other PC I have ever owned. I have had IBM Thinkpads that needed keyboards, logic boards, harddrives and video cards. Dells that needed harddrives and soundcards. And home-made PCs that have needed everything: motherboards, video card, drive interface cards, powersupply, etc.

So I don't know if Apple is any better, or worse in terms of computer componentry lifespan, especially since they buy from same suppliers as everyone else. Where Apple Care really comes into play is the fact that almost nothing on a Apple is user serviceable. In this case, they blow Dell out of the water in services and timeliness, and are more friendly, and accessible than IBM.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2010
    Judge okay's a class action suit going forward against Apple and AT&T.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38194091
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2010
    I agree with AppleCare being worth it; but I am also scared with how much I have used it. I have replaced a battery, replaced a logic board, and now replaced an Airport (yes, if you but the airport when you buy the machine and AppleCare it is covered). It does very much rock and I have saved a bunch of money cause I have it. I have it on every Apple item I have. I wonder if that is a bad sign that I feel I need it on everything from Apple.
    I own many Apple devices and products, over the years. Never used AppleCare much. But when I have, very glad I have it!

I am working on 1000s of shots from a shoot right now on a 4year old Mac Pro that has never been shut off intentionally since I got it - and it's not once had any problem. Never had any probs with my lappys, airport, ipods, etc.

They did replace a phone with a broken screen on an iPhone 3G a couple years ago.

Apple stuff has performed superbly for me.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Another vote for AppleCare. I used it twice so far:

1) installing a Time Machine which would not work. They told me which channel to try in my areas to make it work, and it works!
    2) my daughter crashed her MacBook after using Limewire. AppleCare talked me through the steps to clean up and no problems since.

In the PC world I would not know where to go for this kind of expert and effective advice.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2010
    I wonder if I am just harder on laptops than most people, the wife's iMac is fine, her iPod has outlasted mine by a year+... hmmm.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    I've owned 4 Mac laptops and none died before the 6 year mark
    (though all but one required AppleCare service, but once fixed they were golden)
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    Sooooooo...

Anyone going to order the pending 27" display from Apple?
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    Sooooooo...

Anyone going to order the pending 27" display from Apple?
    Not me, quite happy with my 3yr old 30" Dells.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    Not me, quite happy with my 3yr old 30" Dells.
    I am still stuck at 21". :D

BTW - thanks for response on the IR. I have no P&S. So I may decide to mod the 50D.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    I am still stuck at 21". :D

BTW - thanks for response on the IR. I have no P&S. So I may decide to mod the 50D.

I wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2010
    I wouldn't.
    Not good for that body or not worth the time/expense? I have not yet looked into the costs. Just ideas in my head...
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010

Good analysis. Pity about that, she said posting from her iPad while roasting on the deck in anticipation of the arrival of hurricanes Earl and Fiona.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2010
    My PS3 & Wii work better than Apple TV. It is a pity that it isn't better as I am still looking for a better solution. So close and yet so far.
    -=Bradford