Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Found this through macintouch.com.

Yet another way to scam you.

Here.

I read this article, downloaded Saft Lite, clicked on the spoofed URL, and the attached message popped up.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I read this article, downloaded Saft Lite, clicked on the spoofed URL, and the attached message popped up.

i've installed it on my pbook and my home system. saft light is free and simple to install.

thanks david.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    direct linky to download pae
    andy wrote:
    i've installed it on my pbook and my home system. saft light is free and simple to install.

thanks david.

saft lite (free) right here.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    hotfolder
    a pretty cool app for loading files when burning cds and dvds here.
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    david was after me to get disk warrior, so that if ever i had a disk problem i could easily repair... well of course i *intended* to get it, but never did. then i had a power failure in the middle of my disk writing, which causes things to go a bit kerflooey. i thought i was hosed, but no! lynne and david said, hang in there, get disk warrior, and run it.

Another thing you can do to help keeping this from happening again is turn on journaling (if it isn't already).

Fire up Disk Utility, select the filesystem you're interested in, and select the "Enable Journaling" button.

Journaling treats the disk a lot like a database; when it writes information it does so in such a manner that either any change happens or doesn't happen, it's never halfway done. This keeps important disk data (like the structure of the filesystem) from being corrupted.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Andy, you need the new 21" Wacom Cintiq monitor/tablet. It is really awesome. A perfect match for your 30". nod.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Andy, you need the new 21" Wacom Cintiq monitor/tablet. It is really awesome. A perfect match for your 30". nod.gifthumb.gif

i'm on it. (can i borrow $2999?)
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm on it. (can i borrow $2999?)

I think I saw it for $2400 or $2500 here, don't worry I am helping sway Gus towards Canon and to buy the 65 macro with twinlight, here.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    Andy have you seen this article? Do you have any trackpad issues?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 12, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

PatchI bought the newest 15 in PB with 2Gb RAM before I went west a few weeks ago. I have never been able to scroll down using two fingers like they described when reading a WEB page. It ended up loading new pages or going back to older pages or somewhere. Calling it unpredictable is putting it mildly. SO I just don't use the trackpad for scrolling; never did before so what the heck. ne_nau.gif

But the new PB with the faster G4 processor - 1.67 GH I think? - is great for editing with PS. It is fast - not like my Dual G5 at home, but very useful - I don't feel slowed down by it at all. I wrote all my RAW files to its hard drive AND to DVDs at the end of the day. Worked like a charm.

Maybe Apple wil fix the track pad scrolling issue - maybe not - I really don't care - I did also buy a small two-button mouse to use on the road, but actually never did use it for the limited editing I did on the road - mostly just experimental RAW to evaluate image sharpness and color balance to see if a file should be discarded or was worth keeping on DVD.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

nawp... i can track up/down and side/side no problem, using two fingers on the track pad. it's quite kewl!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nawp... i can track up/down and side/side no problem, using two fingers on the track pad. it's quite kewl!

My friend just passed the link along, wondered if you had seen it. I have tried the scrolling feature a few times and I really like how it works, hopefully whatever problems exist they will resolve quickly.
  • Options
    handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Well as andy would say I was lurking in the rafters, but I was more so waiting until I made my switch to a mac and got a good high speed internet provider. I purchased the imac g5 20" and so far it has been the best experience I have had from a computer. The next step is to get a digital slr I have a feeling that is still a couple of months down the road. (at least) This set me back a bit. I really appreciate all of the shortcuts you guys have posted it is helping me make this switch pretty easy.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    handlebar wrote:
    Well as andy would say I was lurking in the rafters, but I was more so waiting until I made my switch to a mac and got a good high speed internet provider. I purchased the imac g5 20" and so far it has been the best experience I have had from a computer. The next step is to get a digital slr I have a feeling that is still a couple of months down the road. (at least) This set me back a bit. I really appreciate all of the shortcuts you guys have posted it is helping me make this switch pretty easy.

wave.gif hey there handlebar, congrats and welcome!
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    I found some very useful Safari tips, here. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    Now that Tiger is coming out, are there any apps that will make use of the 64 bit processing with Tiger?

What about the new Final Cut Studio products? I cannot find it stated anywhere, just wondering if there will be a noticeable speed bump via software upgrades if you are on a G5?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Now that Tiger is coming out, are there any apps that will make use of the 64 bit processing with Tiger?

What about the new Final Cut Studio products? I cannot find it stated anywhere, just wondering if there will be a noticeable speed bump via software upgrades if you are on a G5?
    I'm not sure, either, but I would think that Core Image, which moves rendering and effects to the graphics card would speed things up, I'm just not sure if FCP5 takes advantage of that yet. We'll be getting it at work for testing when it is available, and I'll let you know.

Edit: Also, not that I understand it, but I dont' believe that Tiger is fully 64 bit compatible. It's a partial implementation.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm not sure, either, but I would think that Core Image, which moves rendering and effects to the graphics card would speed things up, I'm just not sure if FCP5 takes advantage of that yet. We'll be getting it at work for testing when it is available, and I'll let you know.

Edit: Also, not that I understand it, but I dont' believe that Tiger is fully 64 bit compatible. It's a partial implementation.

Thanks, I guess we continue to wait. I really only need the speed in PS and Capture One PRO. The new G5 is on the top of my list, just waiting for the speed bump to be announced, may a price drop if I am lucky or they will bundle them with a free 23" CD. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks, I guess we continue to wait. I really only need the speed in PS and Capture One PRO. The new G5 is on the top of my list, just waiting for the speed bump to be announced, may a price drop if I am lucky or they will bundle them with a free 23" CD. rolleyes1.gif
    Reading the fine print on the FCStudio site, it looks like only Motion supports Core Image, and that Tiger is required for that support. It's interesting that FCP is actually not that major of an upgrade. What's truly astounding is Sound Track Pro, and how tightly integrated it is with FCP.

Check out this movie about cleaning up audio. Can't wait for that.

But hey, we're talking pretty specialized software, especially on a photography forum. How 'bout that Dashboard, eh?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

But hey, we're talking pretty specialized software, especially on a photography forum. How 'bout that Dashboard, eh?

That is cool, why can't they make a noise filter for photographers too. :D

Dashboard looks cool. I am curious how the new mail program will work. It looks a lot nice. I hope Safari gets a little better. Automater could be very cool for saving time.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Reading the fine print on the FCStudio site, it looks like only Motion supports Core Image, and that Tiger is required for that support. It's interesting that FCP is actually not that major of an upgrade. What's truly astounding is Sound Track Pro, and how tightly integrated it is with FCP.

David - I plan to wait a few weeks before upgrading to Tiger - I want to see how Tiger gets along with PS CS and ImagePrint 6, befoe I change anything. Tiger looks really neat and I look forward to it, but I want to hear that PS CS and ImagePrint 6 all get along together without issues.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Wow, that noise cleaner is great. Huge. Thanks for posting it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, that noise cleaner is great. Huge. Thanks for posting it.
    You guys cut on FCP?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You guys cut on FCP?
    nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

I think it is fully 64-bit, but will ask a buddy of mine who works at Apple.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

It's announced. And they dropped the price of the 20 and 23inch monitors!
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    It's announced. And they dropped the price of the 20 and 23inch monitors!

Thanks, I saw that and I have priced out a system, now to decide if I am going to spend that much. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Hmmm....according to this article http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/4 Tiger ISN'T fully 64-bit!

"I just wonder how much benefit there will be from introducing any of that support piecemeal. For example, it'd seem unfair for Carbon to be 64-bit while Cocoa was not. All the higher-level GUI libraries rely on lower-level services like Quartz and Core Foundation anyway. So it seems to me that the best move in the future will be to roll out a complete 64-bit system all in one shot. That's a tall order, which is why I think it'll be a while."
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    I upgraded to Tiger today, all seems to be going well.

One thing that is different are my displayed fonts on certain webpages. The front page of dgrin looks different, the main forum fonts look fatter/blurrier than before. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing that?