Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Apple is so high on itself that it must figure since ITMS doesnt have the album then you dont need the art.

This is not true. I imported an album last night that's not in the iTMS, and the album art was there, no problem.

Might not work for all albums, but it did work for me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is not true. I imported an album last night that's not in the iTMS, and the album art was there, no problem.

Might not work for all albums, but it did work for me.
    15524779-Ti.gif. No radiohead albums are sold on iTMS but all my radiohead albums have album art.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Still not complaint free, but this iTunes update is the best one I've seen.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    Mike Lane wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif. No radiohead albums are sold on iTMS but all my radiohead albums have album art.

But they did have OK Computer on iTMS when they first started it..I got it off of there. Wish they would bring them back. :cry
  • Options
    My new Mail.app icon.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    Mike Lane wrote:
    i stand corrected then, but some feedback would still be nice.

and yes david, i agree this is the best iTunes update yet. It amazes me how far behind it has been though.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    what do you mean "hack" ? is it like, Parallels doesn't work properly under MP without those "hacks" ??
    how would you compare it with Boot Camp?
    Andy wrote:
    Got Parallels working on the Mac Pro (after a few silly hacks, they expect to have new version for the Mac Pro out at the end of the year. It works just fine w/ no hacks on the Macbook Pro)...

And, a 2nd Display. So, Winders on the right, and all the more evolved stuff on the left lol3.gif
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i stand corrected then, but some feedback would still be nice.

and yes david, i agree this is the best iTunes update yet. It amazes me how far behind it has been though.

I agree with the first comment about feedback.

I trust you're right about the second. I wouldn't know, though.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    phuong wrote:
    what do you mean "hack" ? is it like, Parallels doesn't work properly under MP without those "hacks" ??
    how would you compare it with Boot Camp?
    Never tried Boot Camp.

||s requires some gentle care when running on a Mac Pro.

1) you have to set your boot args to 3.5gig if you have more than 3.5 gig of ram

2) you have to sleep the machine and then wake it

3) now launch ||s

Otherwise, you get Kernel-panic city. There's plenty of help and commiserating on the ||s forum:
    http://forums.parallels.com/forum53.html

I have it running now, it works fine once you know how to beat it into submission lol3.gif They promise a new build by end of year, and hopefully you won't have to go thru these hoops.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Never tried Boot Camp.

1) you have to set your boot args to 3.5gig if you have more than 3.5 gig of ram

3) now launch ||s

Otherwise, you get Kernel-panic city. There's plenty of help and commiserating on the ||s forum:

I have it running now, it works fine once you know how to beat it into submission lol3.gif They promise a new build by end of year, and hopefully you won't have to go thru these hoops.
    ||s :poke lol3.gif

You are now teh l33t!

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    I notice that Crucial doesn't stock memory for the iMac 2.33mhz.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike Lane wrote:
    ||s :poke lol3.gif

You are now teh l33t!
    d00d, we all use ||s here at SmugMug. It teh s3kz
  • Options
    Upgraded wife and son's Mac Mini to the new Intel box. Have to say, Apple makes upgrading soooo easy. Pop a firewire from the old to the new, everything is copied over exactly as it was on the old box. The new machine automagically updates itself with the latest software, and boom-done. Painless. Actually, a joy to do, compared to most experiences I've had in the past with this sort of thing.

clap.gif
  • Options
    boot args? can you tell me what is args? when i create a XP VM, the maximum RAM i can create is 1.5GB. it's no where near 3.5GB (i have 4GB ram)
    by the way how do you instantly sleep the MP?
    Andy wrote:
    Never tried Boot Camp.

3) now launch ||s

• Options
    edited September 16, 2006
    phuong wrote:
    boot args? can you tell me what is args? when i create a XP VM, the maximum RAM i can create is 1.5GB. it's no where near 3.5GB (i have 4GB ram)
    by the way how do you instantly sleep the MP?
    http://forums.parallels.com/thread4137.html

Read the forums there, it's really beyond me to actually help, I just copied and pasted stuff....
  • Options
    pretty interesting indeed. a few tweaks and it just works.
    but still, it's not perfect yet. so i'll just stick with Boot Camp for now.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    I've got an external firewire drive that I had formatted Fat32 (so I could use it with both PC and Mac). It was connected to the Powerbook the other day, I deleted a bunch of stuff and then empied trash. The empty took forever and then the Mac hung. Locked up tight, couldn't even get to Force Quit. So I let it sit for a while to see if it'd come back, eventually just powered off.

When I booted again, it wouldn't see the external drive, says it's an un-initialized volume. Windows XP basicly says the same thing. It looks like the partition table's bonked.
    :cry

Know of any software tools that might help?
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    like i said, remains to be seen how it handles network shares when opening from a network share. Sometimes it tends to chase its tail.

Maybe give this a try.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Cool. rolleyes1.gif

ctrl+opt+cmd+8
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Maybe give this a try.
    Doesn't work for me at all.

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    Can anyone recommend a way of boosting my Apple network signal strength? I've tried an Omnibot external aerial for my basestation and it has made little difference.

I'm aware that the Airport Express can be used as a repeater but strangely not if you use WPA encryption, which I do.

Charlie
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    When I booted again, it wouldn't see the external drive, says it's an un-initialized volume. Windows XP basicly says the same thing. It looks like the partition table's bonked.
    :cry

Foor PC, www.recovermyfiles.com

WORKS AWESOME! It takes FOREVER, but I had the same problem on an internal drive that I crashed using the wrong IRQ's... It recovered almost everything. It was well worth the $70 to get back about 60,000 pictures...
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2006
    If you haven't upgraded to iTunes 7 yet... don't.

Sounds like Apple released it before it was ready, a great many problems for users.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    If you haven't upgraded to iTunes 7 yet... don't.

Sounds like Apple released it before it was ready, a great many problems for users.

Yeah, I've seen that. I got lucky. Upgraded, and nary a problem. I read that an update is imminent.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    StevenV wrote:

Partition Magic.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Figures.

Apple and Virgin don't mix.

lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    I was getting enthusiastic about the 24" iMac... until I read that PS runs slower than it does in a iMac G5.

Patience, grasshopper, wait 'til the Universal Binary comes out, see how much faster it is. I guess that'll give Apple time to get the bugs out, too.
    Sid.
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    I was getting enthusiastic about the 24" iMac... until I read that PS runs slower than it does in a iMac G5.

Patience, grasshopper, wait 'til the Universal Binary comes out, see how much faster it is. I guess that'll give Apple time to get the bugs out, too.

Sid,

How's it going? Have any commentary from a switcher about pros and cons now that you've got a few months under your belt?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid,

How's it going? Have any commentary from a switcher about pros and cons now that you've got a few months under your belt?
    Nothing deep, David.

The thing starts and shuts down a lot faster. No major bugs, some minor oddities that aren't chronic. I've been spared Patch29's unexpected shutdown problem.

I don't like playing Windows video files on the 'net, it's a pain, even with FlipforMac. And I wish I had software for removing the bugs I just know are being planted on the system. I don't care if they work on Macs or not, I just want them off.

I also deeply miss the Windows status bar, where I have an icon on the bottom of my screen for every open program and document. Having it makes it super simple to keep track of everything, especially multiple Word documents. Mac doesn't seem to have an equivalent, so navigation is more challenging - actually, downright frustrating when it comes to multiple Word docs.

I really like the easy program install and uninstall. Drag and drop, very nice. Also, I couldn't believe how easily I could control my video camera and import video - just plug in a cable, start the program and go. Amazing.

I very much like the keyboard and form factor of the Macbook. The screen's OK - like other lappies, if not viewed at precisely the right angle, it's no good for judging photos.

I'm seriously considering a 24" iMac for my next desktop. But I hesitate, because it sounds very much like Universal Binary Photoshop won't be here until April '07, and I don't want to go through the hassle and expense of a slower, interim CS2. Also, I worry a bit about 3 grand on a system - it's expensive, and I wonder how soon it will be out of date, as media files grow ever larger.
    Sid.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    I also deeply miss the Windows status bar, where I have an icon on the bottom of my screen for every open program and document. Having it makes it super simple to keep track of everything, especially multiple Word documents. Mac doesn't seem to have an equivalent, so navigation is more challenging - actually, downright frustrating when it comes to multiple Word docs.

What did you do in Windows with multiple Word docs that you can't replicate on the Mac? The Mac Dock has these features if you haven't checked them out yet:
    * If there's a black triangle under an application icon in the Dock, that program is running. Therefore you can track all open apps.
    * If you right-click on a dock icon of a running app, all of its documents are listed in the right-click menu that pops up, and you can choose any of the docs right there. The frontmost window is marked.
    Also, you can flip through open doc windows by pressing Command` (on US keyboard) and you can also use Expose to pick from all windows of a single app, as well as its usual function of picking from all windows in all apps.
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm seriously considering a 24" iMac for my next desktop. But I hesitate...Also, I worry a bit about 3 grand on a system - it's expensive, and I wonder how soon it will be out of date, as media files grow ever larger.

I can't bring myself to touch any Mac desktop under a Mac Pro. The issues are RAM and drive bays. Because of the rising file sizes, if the iMac could handle at least 4GB of RAM, I might look at it. No way would I spend 3 grand on one. I am thinking about getting a dual 2.0 Mac Pro for $1999 after rebate at macconnection.com and using my current monitor. With four cores on board already, I don't have to have the fastest CPU. I need RAM and drive bays.