Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Way back when my wife got her first desktop in 2001, she also got an HP all in one printer along with it. That printer is downstairs connected to our current PC desktop via USB. I've been dreading the time that I needed to set up the printer to print from my MBP over the wi-fi because I figured it'd be a real pain. To my surprise it wasn't... mostly. The only problem is that HP doesn't have an OS X printer driver for our old printer. Fortunately there is a download you can get called gutenprint v5.0.0 that will install drivers for your old printers.

From there it was just a matter of navigating the printer setup to my workgroup and selecting the printer. Super easy!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    Thanks David, I was planning the purchase for spring time anyway... This wedding season is almost over, and my photo budget will be severly limited with no more wedding work...
    And if you do wait that long, the thinking around where I work is that you'll finally see the core 2 duo based macbook pros. The theory is that they're waiting on the next big graphics card from intell, the number for which I forget at the moment, but it's due out around march.
    DavidTO wrote:
    I downloaded NeoOffice 2 beta 3, and....meh.
    I grabbed the same beta this week, after trying three different versions of open office on the mac. None of them were capable of dealing with the foil set I was trying to edit, which was generated on a linux box with open office. All of them crashed and burned when trying to edit an embedded chart in one of the pages. Some poking at them with brand new documents showed they were more stable, but... ne_nau.gif use them long enough and they'd drive me to :booze
    Now, if you don't need complete Office compatibility, definitely check out Pages.
    Yeah, very well worth the money, full office compat or not. Pages and Keynote are an amazing pair of applications. I think I've written maybe a dozen documents for work (90 to 140 pages each) with Pages since I've had it. Having a background in prepress, I tend to be a stickler for getting things consistantly the same, Pages is probably the first time since doing it all by hand with TeX that I've been able to push out a professional looking document (directly to pdf) without spending HOURS tweaking things. All they really need to complete iWork is a spread sheet.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Got Parallels working on the Mac Pro (after a few silly hacks, they expect to have new version for the Mac Pro out at the end of the year. It works just fine w/ no hacks on the Macbook Pro)...

And, a 2nd Display. So, Winders on the right, and all the more evolved stuff on the left lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2006
    So I'm using address book to put in all of my contacts. I was putting them in 3 different directories, birth announcements, friends, and family. I switched to one of the directories and scrolled to the bottom (making sure that directory had the right names in it) and I noticed that 2 of them said "No Name". I clicked on one of them and it was blank and thought "that's odd". Then I clicked on one that had a name and it popped up and then the entire @#$%ing address book just up and disappeared. Poof. Gone. See ya. No trace of it left over.

So I called apple. The end result of that was, "Uh, we have no idea what happened."

Great, just great. I guess I'll go downstairs on my windows machine and do it all over again on that.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Look for these two files, and move them to your desktop, but do not delete them:

User>Preferences>com.apple.AddressBook.plist
    User>Preferences>com.apple.AddressBook.abd.plist

Try moving them one at a time, first one first.

And I'll add, the beauty of .Mac. Expensive, yes, but along with the other features, my address book is always backed up.

Mike Lane wrote:
    So I'm using address book to put in all of my contacts. I was putting them in 3 different directories, birth announcements, friends, and family. I switched to one of the directories and scrolled to the bottom (making sure that directory had the right names in it) and I noticed that 2 of them said "No Name". I clicked on one of them and it was blank and thought "that's odd". Then I clicked on one that had a name and it popped up and then the entire @#$%ing address book just up and disappeared. Poof. Gone. See ya. No trace of it left over.

So I called apple. The end result of that was, "Uh, we have no idea what happened."

Great, just great. I guess I'll go downstairs on my windows machine and do it all over again on that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Look for these two files, and move them to your desktop, but do not delete them:

User>Preferences>com.apple.AddressBook.plist
    User>Preferences>com.apple.AddressBook.abd.plist

Try moving them one at a time, first one first.

And I'll add, the beauty of .Mac. Expensive, yes, but along with the other features, my address book is always backed up.
    No dice.

Now my address book has one entry in it that is mirroring the one entry that I've got in entourage. Great. Something tells me all that data is gone for good.

• Options
    Mike Lane wrote:
    No dice.

Now my address book has one entry in it that is mirroring the one entry that I've got in entourage. Great. Something tells me all that data is gone for good.

No problem. You did back up, didn't you? :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Also, this may help, clipped from macfixit.com:
    A significant number of users have reported a loss of all Address Book content after updating to Mac OS X 10.4.3.

Dan Lepeska writes:

"The day after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4.3 I was doing maintenance on my Address Book database. I was deleting multiple entries of addresses I created before the upgrade. Everything was going fine, but on one of the contact deletions I suddenly got the spinning wheel for over 10 minutes.

"When I tried Force Quit I noticed that Address Book, Mail, and Safari were "not responding". I confirmed Force Quit for Address Book and suddenly both Mail and Safari were responding. When I relaunched Address Book the entire database was gone. I had to restore from backup."

For many users, the issue does not occur directly subsequent to the update, but after a day or two of usage.

MacFixIt reader Joan Covington writes:

"In the last couple of days I have twice lost both Address Book and iCal databases, and fortunately had recent backups. (I am now backing up those applications every time I make even one change, just in case of a recurrence of the problem.) However, I have had 10.4.3 for several days -- since about 2 days after its release -- and I am not sure if it is 10.4.3 itself that is the culprit, or its clash with some other application. The problem did not occur immediately upon the 10.4.3 installation."

Another reader adds:

"I did the 10.4.3 update a few days ago, put my ibook to sleep on and off for the next few days. but the next time i rebooted (two nights ago) my entire address book database was gone!"

Andy corroborates:

"This morning I started up my iBook, recently upgraded to 10.4.3, and... My Address book database is also completely gone."

One MacFixIt reader offers a more detailed observation of what is causing the problem:

"The problem seems to trigger by making some change in the Address Book and it somehow not getting 'auto-saved' correctly upon quit. While Address Book does keeps it's own backup copy of the Address Book database file, when a user opens Address Book after the first error occurs (not knowing it has occurred), and sees no addresses, then quits Address Book again, it replaces the backup copy with an empty Address Book as well. So now you're stuck.

"My limited analysis to date seems to point a something with how Address Book does it's 'autosave' and the interaction of that with other processing/applications (Spotlight? Address Book Widgets? iSync? Mail?) As a precaution since it happened to me, I use Address Book's manual Backup Database command to create my own backups. I'm glad I did too, since the problem did re-occur for me once, and I was quickly able to get back to my last manual backup state. There is some bad bug here that needs to get priority to get fixed by Apple."

Jari Kokko writes:

"I had read that Address Book entries might disappear after the new Tiger update. So I took precautions and exported all cards into a .vcf file. I updated and - POOF - my addressbook only had two entries. I double-clicked the vcf file and the import function warned that all cards are duplicates and would be updated. I let it, and true enough, all cards were back. I believe that the data doesn't disappear after all, it just becomes invisible. This is backed up by the fact that the 'empty' Address Book data file is not smaller than the ok one.

Monty Lee adds:

"Just to let you know, I have two computers, each experienced the loss of the Address Book. One is a Dual G5/2, the other a Dual G4/800. After updating to 10.4.3, both lost their address books in a couple of days. I thought it had to do with Dot Mac Sync, so I turned it off. I restored the Address Books from a backup (unfortunately several weeks old), only to find out that a couple of days later it was gone.

"I've reverted (painfully) back to 10.4.2 because of other problems with 10.4.3 (won't print) on one machine, and will have to do it on the other if I lose the Address Book again."

Possible fix In some instances of this problem, the data appears to merely be hidden and not permanently deleted. In these cases, a simple fix submitted by MacFixIt reader Ross may be helpful.

"Reading MacFixIt and fearing the worst I went to my Address Book which was in view card and column mode - it appeared that all but one of my entries was gone (last entry viewed was there). I toggled between view card and column and view card only and all of my entries came back. It took several toggles to restore all entries."
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    It appears address book is full of holes. I'll just use entourage from now on. Microsoft to the rescue umph.gif

• Options
    In case anyone cares or is using address book, I've been playing around with it and entourage. My address book and entourage are automatically synching in real time. I can put info into one and it shows up in the other immediately. This was obviously the source of the problem that I had (which would have been nice to know a few hours ago).

• Options
    Mike Lane wrote:
    In case anyone cares or is using address book, I've been playing around with it and entourage. My address book and entourage are automatically synching in real time. I can put info into one and it shows up in the other immediately. This was obviously the source of the problem that I had (which would have been nice to know a few hours ago).

Why were they doing that and how did you get them to do it? So what you thought was a problem was expected behavior? Am I being slow? I don't quite get it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why were they doing that and how did you get them to do it? So what you thought was a problem was expected behavior? Am I being slow? I don't quite get it.
    There is an option in entourage that will sync itself with the address book app. I don't recally checking it, but that doesn't mean I didn't at some earlier point in time. But now that I'm working between address book and entourage I don't think that it was entourage that was the problem. If anything, entourage would have simply synched itself with address book and made it look the same. So I think that it was some other unknown bug with address book that made it lose the data.

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    the new ipod and stuff announced today, a 1 hour + video here

shay
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    The Shuffle looks pretty cool.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    The Shuffle looks pretty cool.

I like the new iTunes.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    I like the new iTunes.
    15524779-Ti.gif Finally automatic artwork updates!!!

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    Mike Lane wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Finally automatic artwork updates!!!
    bout time. and also allows you to transfer music off your ipod to another authorized computer.

it's actually a usable media manager now.

its interfaces are also shockingly similar to windows media player 10. (with the exception of the uber cool cover browser.)

I still wish they would make it easy to access music from a central location. I have a media server where i keep all my music and photos, having to maintain the library manifest on each computer where i play music from is maddening. Especially now that it takes SOOO freaking long to add music to your library because of the gapless playback information gathering. Which by the way there is no way to turn off.

Sigh.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I still wish they would make it easy to access music from a central location. I have a media server where i keep all my music and photos, having to maintain the library manifest on each computer where i play music from is maddening. Especially now that it takes SOOO freaking long to add music to your library because of the gapless playback information gathering. Which by the way there is no way to turn off.

Sigh.

????

Why not Share Library?

There's also software that expands on the sharing capabilities of iTunes.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    I have the current Shuffle now and while I like the smaller size of the new shuffle it isn't as easy to use as a flash drive because they took off the USB port to save space. I use the flash drive feature a lot, so I'll keep mine.
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    ????

Why not Share Library?

There's also software that expands on the sharing capabilities of iTunes.
    because it's a server in my basement and i'm never at that box when i add music

so that library manifest will never get updated and i'm in the same boat i am now
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    its interfaces are also shockingly similar to windows media player 10. (with the exception of the uber cool cover browser.)
    I see from Digg that they bought coverflow. Excellent idea apple thumb.gif

• Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    because it's a server in my basement and i'm never at that box when i add music

so that library manifest will never get updated and i'm in the same boat i am now

Why not just replace the iTunes Library with the file from the machine you've added music from?

You could also check out iTunes Library Manager.

They'll never add what you're asking for, since the way it's set up is part of their anti-piracy policy. Not really effective against piracy, but it looks good to the record companies, ya know?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why not just replace the iTunes Library with the file from the machine you've added music from?
    cuz then i will lose all the existing library information. headscratch.gif
    DavidTO wrote:
    They'll never add what you're asking for, since the way it's set up is part of their anti-piracy policy. Not really effective against piracy, but it looks good to the record companies, ya know?
    Bah. That's a bad excuse for poor implementation. It has nothing to do with piracy protection. You still have to be on an authorized computer to play the music, no matter where it's stored. Windows Media Player has no problem handling this type of setup. ne_nau.gif

WMP will also lookup album art from multiple sources, just in case the MSN music store doesnt have your album. Apple is so high on itself that it must figure since ITMS doesnt have the album then you dont need the art. It wont even tell you that it couldn't find it...it just sits there and does nothing. HELLO! Did you find it?

sigh.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    cuz then i will lose all the existing library information. headscratch.gif

No, you'll be copying your library info from the machine that you import music on to the one that you serve from.

There are workarounds for this. But it sounds like your happy with WMP? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    One last thought, before I stop :deadhorse

When you launch iTunes, hold the option key, it'll give you the option of creating a new library or choosing an existing one. Choose the one that's down in your basement.

You only need to do that when you're importing music or making changes to the library. Otherwise, just use sharing for playback.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, you'll be copying your library info from the machine that you import music on to the one that you serve from.
    ne_nau.gif

I'll have to double check how this works, but i'm pretty sure that the shared library and local library xml files are not the same...or at least differentiated in the xml where replacing the one on the server would majorly b0rk things.

either way it would require me logging into that server, which is just dumb.

i would very much like to use WMP but i cant play any of my fairplay protected music on it.

why does it have to be so freaking difficult for me to listen to music I PAID FOR!!!!!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I'll have to double check how this works, but i'm pretty sure that the shared library and local library xml files are not the same...or at least differentiated in the xml where replacing the one on the server would majorly b0rk things.

either way it would require me logging into that server, which is just dumb.

i would very much like to use WMP but i cant play any of my fairplay protected music on it.

why does it have to be so freaking difficult for me to listen to music I PAID FOR!!!!!

I think my last idea is the best. Option key on launch.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think my last idea is the best. Option key on launch.
    dunno, we'll have to see how well that handles network shares and where the files end up.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:
    dunno, we'll have to see how well that handles network shares and where the files end up.

The files end up where you tell them to end up. In your Prefs, if you have iTunes manage your music folder, or wherever you want them if you turn that pref off.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    The files end up where you tell them to end up. In your Prefs, if you have iTunes manage your music folder, or wherever you want them if you turn that pref off.
    like i said, remains to be seen how it handles network shares when opening from a network share. Sometimes it tends to chase its tail.
    Pedal faster