Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:

One thing I'm really loving: dark gray menus.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    One thing I'm really loving: dark gray menus.
    ALRIGHT! This is my advice thread and I say Bleh to these themes.

Carry on, with some useful poop, willya? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ALRIGHT! This is my advice thread and I say Bleh to these themes.

Carry on, with some useful poop, willya? lol3.gif

It's your unsolicited advice thread. Meaning it's all the advice you never asked for. So shut your pie hole. You'll get useful advice when we feel like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    So shut your pie hole.
    Mmmmm Pie.....
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    oh great. now I'm in the mood for a slice of Cherry Pie and a damn good cup of coffee.
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    oh great. now I'm in the mood for a slice of Cherry Pie and a damn good cup of coffee.

Don't you know, you can order only APPLE pie here?mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    Got this via PM:
    Here is my question for you: my G5 is purely a home computer used by me and my wife. I use it for photos and she has a nice-sized iTunes library. What we are finding is that this 1 year old machine has really slowed down over the last few months, with the spinning beach ball becoming a more frequent guest. Could you provide any insight as to how I might determine the cause: is it too many photos, too many music files or does the computer need to be defragmented? If I recall correctly I had it delivered with 1 Gb of RAM but I imagine this is where the problem lies.

Here are the things I would check:

1. Free space on your drives. You should have at least 10% free space.
    2. Memory. The more RAM, the better, although that doesn't really explain a slow-down. Upgrade to at least 2GB of RAM.
    3. UNIX CRONS. These are housekeeping routines that any UNIX machine (OSX included) will run in the middle of the night. If you're shutting down or sleeping your machine in the night, then they don't run.
    4. File directory/catalog integrity. Over time the files that the computer uses to keep track of stuff on the drive can get corrupted. You need to periodically repair your drive. Periodically means at most once a month, more like 2x a year, or if you notice a problem.
    5. Permissions can also become corrupt, and checking them is a good idea.
    6. As can preference files. Check them, too.
    7. Cache files build up over time, as well, and cleaning them can speed things up considerably.

There are lots of ways of tackling this, and here's what I recommend:

Download the freeware Applejack. It's not a normal application. Install it, then restart the computer, and immediately after the chime hold down command-s. Once you get white text on a black background, you know you're in single user mode, and you can let go. It'll look all geeky and texty. That's fine. Just type in 'applejack auto restart', and go get a cup of coffee. It should take less than 10 minutes. If you type auto in all-caps, it'll do a deep clean of your system cache, so that the machine will even forget that it's opened an application before. Either way, when it's done it'll restart and you can get back to work.

Here's what Applejack does:
    • repair your disk
    • repair permissions
    • clean up cache files
    • validate preference files
    • remove swap files

For the CRONS, you can just leave your system on overnight occasionally. You can also run freeware or shareware to do that. Check out Macaroni ($8 shareware), or OnyX.

You don't need to defragment, any file under 20MB is automatically defragmented when opened.

Make sure you're running a backup. I recommend making a clone of your boot drive, so that if anything goes wrong you're only a restart away from your most recent backup. Get a firewire drive and SuperDuper.

Hope that helps!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Thanks...
    thumb.gif Thanks David - that helps a great deal. I will download and run Applejack this evening and look into Macaroni & Superduper. I think upgrading the RAM will be useful as well as soon as the funds become available (a new 300 F/4 IS is still being justified to the Mrsiloveyou.gif ).
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    KevinKal wrote:
    thumb.gif Thanks David - that helps a great deal. I will download and run Applejack this evening and look into Macaroni & Superduper. I think upgrading the RAM will be useful as well as soon as the funds become available (a new 300 F/4 IS is still being justified to the Mrsiloveyou.gif ).

Great. Make sure you backup important files before doing any of this. The problem you're having could be an indication of drive failure, or something serious that hasn't fully materialized yet, and these procedures can kick it into full gear. Back up, then do this stuff.

I also highly recommend SMARTReporter, which will keep an eye on the health of your drive for you, and notify you by the means of your choice. Its freeware.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    So our house in England was broken into and my lappy (among other things) was stolen. The up side to that sucktacular event is I get a new mac book pro. So that's ... uh ... just great I guess. The new MBP's have a glossy screen option. What do you guys think about that? Glossy or non glossy?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So our house in England was broken into and my lappy (among other things) was stolen. The up side to that sucktacular event is I get a new mac book pro. So that's ... uh ... just great I guess. The new MBP's have a glossy screen option. What do you guys think about that? Glossy or non glossy?

This was something I was worried about when I learned that they'd switched to glossy-only for the MacBook. When I got my MacBook I put it right next to my 12" PowerBook in front of a window in order to see which was more usable.

In every case where the glossy screen was unusable, the matte screen was too. In fact, it was usually easier to move the angle of the screen on the glossy to get rid of nasty reflections than to find a similar angle on the matte screen. To say that this was a surprise is an understatement.

Not a scientific test, but if I were to have the choice today I would get glossy.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    This discussion is in a thread here, somewhere. The conclusion was that for any kind of serious photo or graphics work, you want the matte. The glossy enhances saturation and brightness to a degree that makes it difficult to accurately judge an image when editing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Buy almost $300 worth of shareware for $49, have 25% donated to charity.

Sigh, I shoulda known the one week I'm not watching this thread for the heist is the one someone would bring it up. But since it's long over now, I won't bother with the long plea for folks to avoid it, I am kinda surprised that photographers woulda gone for that con though. Just the thinking about it if those were your images, instead of someone else's programs I thought would have steered most photogs away from it. Oh well ne_nau.gif as has been pointed out, it was those developer's choice to do that.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    is there a way to have a completely blank desktop - not even the icon(s) for mounted disk(s)?
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    is there a way to have a completely blank desktop - not even the icon(s) for mounted disk(s)?

Yep, just go into your Finder Prefs and turn off what you don't want. That's how I have it. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2006
    Ah, thanks. I had been digging through every control panel applet - oops, I mean System Preferences thingummie.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2006
    KevinKal wrote:

KK,

I'd love to know if any of that advice actually helped with your slowdown...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2006
    VMWare Fusion Beta it's out. I just installed it, totally painless. I loaded up Winders XP and all is well. It's a bit easier (installation-wise) than Parallels.

More on usability etc once I use it for a while.

Be SURE to install the VMTools as soon as you install your OS, then the mouse, etc will all work great thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    VMWare Fusion Beta it's out. I just installed it, totally painless. I loaded up Winders XP and all is well. It's a bit easier (installation-wise) than Parallels.

More on usability etc once I use it for a while.

Be SURE to install the VMTools as soon as you install your OS, then the mouse, etc will all work great thumb.gif

OK I take that back.

Just also installed latest version (beta) of Parallels Tools, and they now have easy drag and drop from Mac Desktop to PC desktop, and also the PC apps can reside in the Mac Dock, in the "coherence" mode - tres cool!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    So we're going to have to put up with Mac weenies wetting themselves over every Jobs anouncement as they watch the webcasts tomorrow... aren't we? :bluduh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    So we're going to have to put up with Mac weenies wetting themselves over every Jobs anouncement as they watch the webcasts tomorrow... aren't we? :bluduh

Heheh. You know that whole self-loathing that plagues minorities? It's already working on you. You're a Mac Weenie. Face it, bub.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

You were the first one to post about it. :haha umph.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    You were the first one to post about it. :haha umph.gif

Patch, now that Sid's broken that barrier...What do you think? Looks to be a pretty big one. 2 hours for this keynote, they're usually an hour...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Patch, now that Sid's broken that barrier...What do you think? Looks to be a pretty big one. 2 hours for this keynote, they're usually an hour...
    I predict OS X Vista

and 1000 years of world peace.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

I think we will see some really new stuff, at least I hope so.

How about a real iTV, Apple monitor, ala imac, but bigger, HDTV tuner, DVR, DVD player, awesome audio out, wifi, any other cool stuff they can fit on it. :D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 8, 2007
    Octo-core G7
    iWatch (wristwatch like thingie)
    iPhone w/ Cingular service
    OS X TiVoToGo, iTV
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    Hate to link to Flickr, but here you go.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hate to link to Flickr, but here you go.

I'm already drinking. And I don't have a Mac. Or any iAnything appliance. But I am drinking.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Good lord. The keynote starts a 9 a.m. PST. A drinking game first thing in the morning! (or a 3-martini lunch for you East Coasters)

...only 11 hours to go... (12 if you count the long build-up before the "one more thing")
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Here is a long list of sites with live updates, enjoy. blbl.gif