http://smugmug.jot.com/SmugChat
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    How cool is that new iPhone? mwink.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Amidst all the MacWorld hoopla, I'm going to post a very mundane little tip.

If you need to open a Word document, and there's nothing really fancy about it, and you don't want to waste a lot of time with all the MS overhead, open it in TextEdit. TE opens about a gajillion times faster than Word, and displays most docs just fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

I have and am familiar with OnyX. The other is news to me. Seems fine.

Here's what I use:

1) Macaroni: automagically runs in the BG, repairing permissions, running the UNIX crons, and I use it to remove all localized files (you can save a bunch of space that way, you don't need them). It's $9, and it's set and forget. Awesome.

2) Install AppleJack and run it when things seem wonky. It'll repair your disk without the need to start from another volume. It repairs permissions, repairs the volume directory, cleans the cache and swap files and validates permissions.

That's it. Keep Disk Warrior on hand for when things go really bad, but that's all I do.

Leave Macaroni running, run AppleJack when you think you need to.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2007
    I have both. Does when does Macaroni run? When I'm done I close the lid, putting the thing to sleep. I assume that means Macaroni can't dance while I doze?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I have both. Does when does Macaroni run? When I'm done I close the lid, putting the thing to sleep. I assume that means Macaroni can't dance while I doze?

No, it runs in the bg. Check out the pref pane, it tells you when it last ran. And you can set the pref for how much idle time it waits for.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    is anyone having problems with bluetooth not working properly after hot-swapping batteries in MBP (C2D)?

i did the hot swapping as guided: close lid, allow the computer to dump its RAM onto the HDD (the front led indicator will start to pulse when this is done), then swap the battery.

after swapping battery, i can wake the computer up and start using it. everything is fine except the Bluetooth always becomes "Bluetooth Not Available". It won't work until i restart the computer (which is kinda making the battery-safe-sleep-swapable feature pointless)
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:

Phew. Looks like a great computer, but I'll never get over the sticker shock I have every time I look at a Mac.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Phew. Looks like a great computer, but I'll never get over the sticker shock I have every time I look at a Mac.

Huh. There's been two posts here in the last month by die-hard Windows fans who want to buy Mac because they can't find a better deal on a similarly featured quality built machine than a Mac.

EDIT: Oh, and I looked at the order. He got the 3GB RAM which includes an insanely expensive 2GB stick. It's expensive everywhere. The kind of expensive where you're actually better off getting it from Apple than 3rd party. Supply and demand. The price of that RAM greatly increases the cost of that machine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Huh. There's been two posts here in the last month by die-hard Windows fans who want to buy Mac because they can't find a better deal on a similarly featured quality built machine than a Mac.

EDIT: Oh, and I looked at the order. He got the 3GB RAM which includes an insanely expensive 2GB stick. It's expensive everywhere. The kind of expensive where you're actually better off getting it from Apple than 3rd party. Supply and demand. The price of that RAM greatly increases the cost of that machine.
    Yeah that 3rd gig pushed it up there. But honestly, since there was no tax mwink.gif and since I can transfer my APP from my stolen machine to this one, it was only $200 more than the total price for the old one. It actually may have been a bit cheaper if it were from Apple directly, but since they don't ship to apo addresses (boo) I had to go with a 3rd party. B&H seems to be as good a 3rd party as I can think of. thumb.gif

Anyhow, a similarly rigged winders machine would be at least as expensive I betcha.

EDIT: Yes indeed, a dell xps with 2 gb ram a blue ray burner (!) and everything else the same is $4400. They don't have a 3gb ram option but if you go for 4GB of ram you're looking at paying another $3000! So, uh yeah. The sticker shock for the macbook pro I got is more like sticker relief.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Congrats, Mike! Looks like a great machine.

My iBook broke, and my wife (shared living room computer) refused to let me buy another Mac, since in 4 years she didn't get to like Mac OS X. I think she just doesn't like computing much, and prefers everything in the way she knows (work dictated). So I ordered the second best notebook, a Sony Vaio. It shares some of the Mac greatness in design, but after using it for a bit again I realized that there are tons of subtle things in a Mac notebook that show how much thought goes into every little detail. I'm not a big Mac or Win OS fan (both are far from the easy to use computers I'd like to have), but I am a big fan of Apple industrial design.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

I've even heard of one or two cases where people bought a MacBook with the intention of solely running Windows on it. That I just don't get, but whatever. They thought the hardware was a good deal.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    While welcoming roseelliot to the mac train a moment ago I started to sing the praises of an application and figured I'd move it over to this thread so everyone can see it.

OmniGraffle. If you're ever in need of a tool to snap together a quick chart, diagram, illustration, etc.... or a tool to slave over a huge complex flow chart, illustration, or diagram... OmniGraffle is it. It's a perfect companion to iWork, and you can generate PS objects from it that drop right into iWork's Pages and Keynote applications. And the best part is you can test drive it for free, and the standard upgrade is dirt cheap compared to Visio or some of the competition.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Possible Apple Special Event on February 20th? Read the rumors here.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Possible Apple Special Event on February 20th? Read the rumors here.
    Makes sense. Be nice if the 8 core knocked down the prices of the other Mac Pros.
    Sid.
  • Options
    utah1utah1 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    software
    OK got a new Macbook intel 2 core laptop and want to try out the Boot Camp XP option. Anyone have a legal extra copy of XP pro with SP2, mine are all pre SP2. Also anyone got a copy CS2 or 3 or simular software they would like to deal on? Fantastic machine but wow the MAC software is pricey!!
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    utah1 wrote:
    Fantastic machine but wow the MAC software is pricey!!

What are you referring to?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    It seems most new PC's ship with at least Office and a few other pieces of essential software. The MAC has some basic stuff and a few 30day trials thrown in. I’ve got at least a grand or two $$ into PC version Adobe titles and video stuff and replacing them all with MAC is really going to hurt. Nevertheless the machine rocks and my stolen Dell D620 will not be missed!

SM
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    If you have Photoshop on your PC, you can switch the license to Mac.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    utah1 wrote:
    It seems most new PC's ship with at least Office and a few other pieces of essential software. The MAC has some basic stuff and a few 30day trials thrown in. I’ve got at least a grand or two $$ into PC version Adobe titles and video stuff and replacing them all with MAC is really going to hurt. Nevertheless the machine rocks and my stolen Dell D620 will not be missed!

SM

OK. I thought you were saying that Macintosh software is more expensive than PC, which I don't believe to be the case at all.

If you have specific recommendations for software, let me know. It's got iMovie built in, so you can cut video off the bat. I use FCP every day for my work, so maybe I can help you in that area, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    I've got PC Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premire Elements 2.0, do you think they transfer over? I dont really need the full versions yet but if it's better to get the whole suite so be it. What a machine, I have not used Mac's since grade school and man have they come a long way.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    utah1 wrote:
    I've got PC Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premire Elements 2.0, do you think they transfer over? I dont really need the full versions yet but if it's better to get the whole suite so be it. What a machine, I have not used Mac's since grade school and man have they come a long way.

I don't know about PS Elements, but that's a cheapy program, anyway.

Premiere is not Mac compatible ATM. It was, and they've announced that it will be, but it hasn't been for a while.

Try iMovie. It's right there.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Ouch! Yea but on the PC the full version PS was overkill and just waiting for the damm thing to process files was brutal. The Elements seemed like a good balance but I'm guessing the MBP will not have an issue. I wish I had a job that would purchase for or justify the purchase. This is the look the kid gave me when I told him his college fund was going to the purchase of a new laptop and editing software for dad!

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6GPG%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXPJG%3F87KR6xqpxQQPox0nQxnPQxv8uOc5xQQQ0oelJaGolGqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPJG%7CRup6aQQ%7C/of=50,285,442
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't know about PS Elements, but that's a cheapy program, anyway.

Premiere is not Mac compatible ATM. It was, and they've announced that it will be, but it hasn't been for a while.

Try iMovie. It's right there.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    I read on another forum that somebody called Adobe to switch their PC license to a Mac license and the license switch cost $6.95.

Photoshop Elements is on the Mac, but I think it's a version behind. It isn't Intel-native yet, but it will run. Photoshop Elements will probably be updated after Photoshop CS3 comes out.

Premiere Elements is a different story. Premiere is coming back to the Mac as Premiere Pro, which exists on Windows as a Final Cut Pro equivalent...the very top of the line. Adobe hasn't said that there will be a low-end Premiere Elements on the Mac. I haven't used it, but I think it's probably more than iMovie and less than Final Cut Express.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    The kid is happy again. You guys/gals are top! I've got more info in 30 min on this site than I could get in a month talking to the folks at the Apple store. Imovie seems cool and FCP looks like a something to dream about. Thanks David, Colour and others!
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Don't forget Final Cut Express. A mighty-fine application for the price.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    cheaper alternative to photoshop elements
    if you're woried about the cost of photoshop for the mac, you could give the gimp a try. I *highly* recomend the "gimp.app" approach, rather than the "fink" approach, unless you're already using fink for something else. If you're completley addicted to "the Adobe Way", you can try gimpshop, which is a UI hack to the Gimp to make it look/feel/behave like photoshop.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007