Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Ann's "Official", Solicited, Mac Advice Thread :D
    If I were going to the Apple store this week, what would I plunk my money down on - sole purpose is for my photos - storage, editing, etc.

currently not thinking budget, but ultimately there will be one. My favorite question for any salesperson is "best bang for buck"

ann
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    If you buy a new mac within the new OS upgrade window, when the send the disk out is it a full install disk or a model specific OS disk, similar to what you get with the computer purchase?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I'm pretty sure it's a one-size-fits-all disk.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it's a one-size-fits-all disk.

Thanks, that is what I figured they would ship.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    All this will be mine on 10/26!

Muahahah! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Muahahah! clap.gif

Mine too, muahahahaha!

It won't break Parallels will it? ne_nau.gifwink

Charlie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Will it have an F11 key?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Typo!

Wikipedia in Dictionary
    Harness the power of Wikipedia when you're connected to the Internet — built right into it’s Dictionary.

lol3.gif

I don't understand Spaces. Is that a way to address the taskbar I miss from Winders?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Spaces is like virtual desktops. You can have multiple desktops set up differently.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Spaces is like virtual desktops. You can have multiple desktops set up differently.
    Or a document open in each?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Or a document open in each?

More for suites of apps. Like your word processing and internet apps separate from your imaging apps.

At least, that's my understanding.

Workspaces. Like having an office and a darkroom.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    More for suites of apps. Like your word processing and internet apps separate from your imaging apps.

At least, that's my understanding.

Workspaces. Like having an office and a darkroom.
    I guess that makes sense for folks with a million applications open. ne_nau.gif

I just need an easier way to manage multiple docs. I miss clicking on the taskbar, so easy.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I guess that makes sense for folks with a million applications open. ne_nau.gif

I just need an easier way to manage multiple docs. I miss clicking on the taskbar, so easy.

Well, maybe there's a way to do what you want. Describe a typical situation.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, maybe there's a way to do what you want. Describe a typical situation.
    We've been through this before, I'm afraid. Writing, with perhaps six Word docs open (for reference or for cutting-n-pasting.) In Winders, it's easy to remember where each doc is on the taskbar, you can see it and click on it.

On a Mac, it's at least a two step process. Not the end of the world, but the taskbar is nice.

It's also nice to see when an internet site sends you a pop-up. On the Mac, it's hidden behind your window. But on the PC, it appears on the taskbar.

Small things. I like my Mac, very happy with its overall ease-of-use. Just a few things, that's all.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    We've been through this before, I'm afraid.

Oh, that's right. I'm sure I gave you all the tips I had back then. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    We've been through this before, I'm afraid. Writing, with perhaps six Word docs open (for reference or for cutting-n-pasting.) In Winders, it's easy to remember where each doc is on the taskbar, you can see it and click on it.

On a Mac, it's at least a two step process. Not the end of the world, but the taskbar is nice.

It's also nice to see when an internet site sends you a pop-up. On the Mac, it's hidden behind your window. But on the PC, it appears on the taskbar.

Small things. I like my Mac, very happy with its overall ease-of-use. Just a few things, that's all.
    mmmm expose + hot corners = tres sexy
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks, that is what I figured they would ship.

That's NOT what I got for 10.4 for a laptop we bought it within the window. The cd that showed up a couple weeks later was tied to that model.

thebigsky wrote:
    DavidTO wrote:

Muahahah! clap.gif
    Mine too, muahahahaha!

Charlie

hehe, me three! :)

wxwax wrote:
    I don't understand Spaces. Is that a way to address the taskbar I miss from Winders?

The developers I know that have played with 10.5 say it's a lot like DesktopManager, which you can get today and has been rock solid for me for years, or Codetek Studio's Virtual Desktop, which seems fragile. Ironically, DesktopManager is the free one.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    it depends....
    Andy's unsolicited advice thread is more for after you've bought it. There have been a number of threads around here that have tried to answer that question for various folks, it's always dependent on what they're looking for. A laptop? a desktop? an all in one? How many monitors they plan to use? reuse current one? (maybe a mini then?) just the one it comes with? (maybe NOT an imac then if you care about color accuracy and the glossy screen), adding an external color balanced monitor? (then maybe the imac is ok) want two color balanced screens? (mac book pro with matte screen + external maybe, or mac pro with dual externals)

I think about the only thing we've all agreed on for every single user is "the more memory the better" and "if you have any technical ability, or know someone that does, consider adding 3rd party memory instead of paying for apple memory IF the machine you end up with allows it."

You might wanna skim the old threads, or post more details of what you want.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    One comment I would say. I do not recommend the glossy monitor. I tried it out in the store before purchasing a MacBook Pro and I found that the color was less affected on the flat/matte monitor/LCD panel.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    mmmm expose + hot corners = tres sexy
    I shall learn to use hot corners. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if it's what I want. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I shall learn to use hot corners. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if it's what I want. thumb.gif
    No problemo. It's not too difficult to set up. Just go to your sytem preferences > dashboard & expose and then make sure you set one of your active screen corners to application windows. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Something instead of Hot Corners
    I started using Hot Corners and then I got a new multi button mouse and I was able to assign the same features to the mouse buttons. I found that a lot more efficient.

The mouse I use is a Logitech MX 400 and I am happy enough with it that I bought a second one for use at the office/
    -=Bradford

• Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Mine too, muahahahaha!

Charlie

According to the official blog site

http://parallelsvirtualization.blogspot.com/

Parallels and Leopard play well together.....at least as well as parallels and Tiger anyway rolleyes1.gif

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Target profile?
    I'm using an Apple 20" Cinema display on a G5 PowerMac, Spider Pro 2 calibrator. The question is.. during the setup/wizard portion of the calibration I'm asked to choose a target setting. The choices are stuff like "1.8 Gamma (Native)" and 2.2 gamma, sRGB, etc.

I chose the 1.8 as that's the standard Apple gamma. Is this correct?

Sorry that's not a lot of info, I'm at work not in front of the machine, just thought I'd ask since there are probably people reading this that know exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks. I'm editing photos in sRGB so.. should I choose that instead?
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Don't rule out the glossy. I mean, it's better than a laptop display, IMO, and if you get a MacPro you need to get a monitor, anyway. You most likely don't need the power of a MacPro, so getting an iMac with a second monitor makes some sense. You can even put off the purchase, and use the glossy for the time being, knowing that a matte screen will be better in the long run for processing pics.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Don't rule out the glossy. I mean, it's better than a laptop display

I would basically agree, I should have been clearer, I meant that on a laptop where the internal display is available glossy or matte, I would recommend matte.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Most bang for your buck is probably going to be the iMac with a second monitor... I plan on getting the 24" iMac for myself in the next few months, and then possibly upgrading Schmoo's monitor so I can steal her 23" (shh, don't tell her!) if I find the glossy is just too hard to work with. I've always been a big fan of LOTS of real estate on the screen, so the two big displays would make me a happy camper (room for all of this is another story for another thread). Get as MUCH memory as you can. When we bought her macpro we went for CPU over RAM with the thought that we can upgrade the RAM, can't upgrade the CPU (according to Apple, I haven't looked into this anymore than that). She really noticed the lack of memory. The CPU boost was almost an order of magnitude greater, but she halved the memory she had, and it was noticeable. Not that her new machine is slower than her old, just that when she starts really grinding you see it swapping to disk. Slow Slow Slow.

HTH
    Travis
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Processor IS upgradable, just not "authorized":D

I'm waiting for the Mac midtower with one Intel quad processor. The price has come WAY down.

Gateway starts the quad core (single chip) at about $950 now.

A 2.4 quad, with 2bg ram, 400gb HD, nVidia 8500 or 8600GT, dual layer drive and 24 inch monitor is $1500.

Now if it only ran Leopard:ivar

Gene

zweiblumen wrote:
    Most bang for your buck is probably going to be the iMac with a second monitor... I plan on getting the 24" iMac for myself in the next few months, and then possibly upgrading Schmoo's monitor so I can steal her 23" (shh, don't tell her!) if I find the glossy is just too hard to work with. I've always been a big fan of LOTS of real estate on the screen, so the two big displays would make me a happy camper (room for all of this is another story for another thread). Get as MUCH memory as you can. When we bought her macpro we went for CPU over RAM with the thought that we can upgrade the RAM, can't upgrade the CPU (according to Apple, I haven't looked into this anymore than that). She really noticed the lack of memory. The CPU boost was almost an order of magnitude greater, but she halved the memory she had, and it was noticeable. Not that her new machine is slower than her old, just that when she starts really grinding you see it swapping to disk. Slow Slow Slow.

HTH
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Thanks - so if I am hearing correctly:
    iMac with as much memory and processing power as possible
    second monitor if possible

Okay - I can handle that. I believe that I can get both for less than a mac Pro. And anything will be superior to my current monitor situation.

Now, what about CS3?
    What about other stuff?
    How about waiting for Leopard?

Thanks again

ann
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Hi Ann,
    I'm in a similar boat. I've got a PC desktop dying a slow death and am about ready to get a new Mac. With the Leopard announcement, they also mentioned that anyone buying a Mac this month gets Leopard for $10 (S/H of a CD) so no need to wait for that. That being said, there are lots of rumors of new machines to be announced on the Leopard sale date or very shortly thereafter. I'm about to get a 13" Macbook (and external monitor for the photo work) but am holding off til word of new models comes out.
    Good luck with the decision,
    E