Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Ann:
    FWIW, that's pretty much my plan. And yes, you can get a 24" iMac with a second 23" display for less than the MacPro. IMHO, this system will have enough "umph" to handle all of your photo needs. IE, running your editing software and allowing you to do photomerges etc in a decent amount of time.

I'm really happy with CS3, but I don't know what you currently use and if it would be necessary... again, FWIW, I recommend it.

As far as purchased software, I'd get photomatix because it just rocks... I think that's all of the non-freeware I use. I'd consider picking up a copy of MSOffice for Mac if you don't use google docs, but that's what I use.

As for Leopard, $10 and the install... How soon do you want it? Personally, I'm not so good on the patience thing, my wallet is the only thing keeping me from buying right now.

eoren1:
    You can wait for new hardware till the cows come home. Apple seems to upgrade some subset of their hardware about every 6 to 8 months. And they never say WHAT they are upgrading. It's a HUGE PITA. I've been on both sides of that crappy coin. Buying about 2 weeks before new hardware was announce, and waiting 3 months because there was rumor of an announcement that finally came 6 months later. You're screwed if you do, and screwed if you don't. So I just pick a time and GO. Again, this is just my outlook on it, it's free advice, take it for what it's worth :):
    Travis
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    there is no reason to wait.
    Ann McRae wrote:
    How about waiting for Leopard?

It's announced ship date is next friday. If you buy a mac today you get 10.4.10, which is solid as a rock. And you get a certificate that for $10 you can buy 10.5 shortly after it comes out. This gives you the best of both worlds, you get known good and stable today, and you get new and shiny when it's in good shape, all that for pretty cheap (added $10 for the media and shipping). If you do go that route, and you aren't a hard core os developer type... leave 10.4.10 on the box for a while. Give us lunatics that will be installing 10.5 the weekend after it comes out a chance to beat it up a bit and see how stable it is before you install it. It's not at all uncommon for folks that want stable over flashy to wait until 10.x.2 or even .3 to hit the update servers before they upgrade their macs. For example, I'll have 10.5 on a secondary harddrive on my mac by the end of the month but I'd be surprised if either my wife or mother will have it installed before the end of the year. Maybe they'll get it installed over the post christmass, pre newyears lull, if it's good and stable and behaves for me between now and then.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I don't think the MacBook is in danger of being updated any time soon.

Don't buy MS Office unless you absolutely have to. iWork is really pretty darn awesome now, although if you're a real number cruncher you'll miss Excel. For the rest of us, I think Numbers is far better. And iWork is compatible with MS Office docs. Plus, it's a ton cheaper.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    I started using Hot Corners and then I got a new multi button mouse and I was able to assign the same features to the mouse buttons. I found that a lot more efficient.

The mouse I use is a Logitech MX 400 and I am happy enough with it that I bought a second one for use at the office/

I do the same with an MX700... if you have a hand on the mouse, it makes changing windows within an application a very simple two click afair. I particularly love it for photoshop.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I will have access to several windows machines, and get my fill of excel at work. But I wouldn't be against a simple spreadsheet/word processing program. especially if I can also put it onto the kids imac minis for school work. Can I?

As far as current photo editing - well I am a PSP user, but realize the switch to Mac means moving to CS3. What about things like lightroom and bridge - are they extra? and are they necessary? And how about a RAW conversion program(am using RSE now)?
    I have found PSP to meet all my needs to date, but don't mind moving on.

Thanks again

ann
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I will have access to several windows machines, and get my fill of excel at work. But I wouldn't be against a simple spreadsheet/word processing program. especially if I can also put it onto the kids imac minis for school work. Can I?

Yes. A family license is an extra $20.
    As far as current photo editing - well I am a PSP user, but realize the switch to Mac means moving to CS3. What about things like lightroom and bridge - are they extra? and are they necessary? And how about a RAW conversion program(am using RSE now)?
    I have found PSP to meet all my needs to date, but don't mind moving on.

Thanks again

ann

Bridge comes with PS. Lightroom is extra. Both Bridge and LR convert RAW. LR right in the app, Bridge opens another app called Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    (David answered this much more succinctly already... feel free to ignore my yabbering)

LR is very good in of itself, especially if you don't currently use masks and layers for your work-flow, Aperture is similar to LR (many people will argue the pros and cons of these two and compare it with CS3/Bridge, see those threads for more details). So you could use either of those instead of PS3/Bridge (Bridge comes bundled with CS3). Either Adobe product will read all of Canon's RAW formats... I'm pretty sure Aperture will also, but don't quote me on that.

As for the word procs/spreadsheet programs, I'd say just use iWork or Google Docs because they both work really well. (Google Docs FTW, plus it's free)

An additional piece of software I'd install is QuickSilver because it just rocks my socks (essentially creates a keyboard shortcut for EVERYthing on your computer). Coupled with Spotlight it makes for accessing anything on your system super easy/fast.

Again, HTH
    Travis
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    eoren1:
    You can wait for new hardware till the cows come home. Apple seems to upgrade some subset of their hardware about every 6 to 8 months. And they never say WHAT they are upgrading. It's a HUGE PITA. I've been on both sides of that crappy coin. Buying about 2 weeks before new hardware was announce...So I just pick a time and GO...

Sensible advice. A little context...the iMacs are somewhat up to date, the Mac Pros are seriously due for an update. I love my Mac Pro 2.66, but it's a year old and they're still selling the same old model. It will probably get an update soon.

If you buy hardware and new hardware comes out, the first thing you do is look at your receipt for the terms. Apple has both a return period (short) and price protection (a few weeks). If you happen to fall within either period, you may have the option of a hassle-free exchange, or partial refund if there is a price drop. Worked for me.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I completely agree that one can easily get 'stuck' waiting for the next great thing. However, there have been consistent rumors (is that an oxymoron?) of the macbook line moving to an aluminum encasing. What I really am looking forward to is the update of the motherboard to better integrated graphics. That should push the macbook to a reasonable lightroom machine. As my PC is chugging along (with some creative jerry-rigging of fans), I am happy to wait til the end of the month to see if the rumors come true and then plunk down cash on whatever macbook is available.
    E
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Sensible advice. A little context...the iMacs are somewhat up to date, the Mac Pros are seriously due for an update. I love my Mac Pro 2.66, but it's a year old and they're still selling the same old model. It will probably get an update soon.
    MacPro might just be coming out...
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/18/apple_to_fire_up_penryn_based_mac_pros.html
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    mrbill62mrbill62 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Currently the best bang for the buck (IMHO) is the refurb 24" white iMac 2.16 GHz C2D @ $1449.

Cons include: 3 GB RAM limit, probably not eligible for $10 Leopard upgrade.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    icons only in sidebar
    I saw a guy with his alptop on the train only had icons in the sidebar = howd'e'do'dat?ne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Rather glowing review. But it isn't too far off the mark from what I've heard from folks with developer seeds.

I would take a bit of objection to this quote though:
    you can always count on framework objects being present and behaving as documented

I've got a few bugs filed that contradict that last bit. Hopefully they'll all be fixed in the GM of Leopard.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I saw a guy with his alptop on the train only had icons in the sidebar = howd'e'do'dat?ne_nau.gif

Drag the column divider to the left to show only the icons.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    So tonight I came home with the following:
    iMac 20" with the same amount of 'guts' as the first level of 24". The more powerful 24" is special order and 6 - 8 weeks away...:cry . I didn't want to wait...
    So, I decided on the 20" with a 23" apple cinema display.

The sales guy figured that as a "prosumer" rolleyes1.gif I might be better off with a Mac Pro, but I didn't buy his stats re: processing speed as being important for me(hope I am wrong - I interpret speed as not being the same as ability). His arguement was iMac 24" with more power, plus second monitor = Mac pro plus mediocre monitor in $ amount. I felt better abot a good monitor rather than a few seconds difference in processing speed.

So hopefully I have made the best choice given my options for having it in my hands now!

I also bought CS3 and the apple extended warranty.

and the leopard upgrade did not have a price attached, that I have found yet anyway.

and I got confused about lightroom v aperture, so got neither.

ann
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    You should qualify for this, and my vote is Lightroom. :D

EDIT: Dang, I forgot! Congratulations! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Thanks, David - yep I got a form for that 'up to date'. Funny, the sales guy's vote was aperture ('most real photogs use aperture') and I was sure the vote here was for lightroom....so I will wait and maybe try both trial versions.

I'm sure I have a big learning curve ahead of me!!

ann

DavidTO wrote:
    You should qualify for this, and my vote is Lightroom. :D

EDIT: Dang, I forgot! Congratulations! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    The sales guy figured that as a "prosumer" rolleyes1.gif I might be better off with a Mac Pro, but I didn't buy his stats re: processing speed as being important for me(hope I am wrong - I interpret speed as not being the same as ability).

rolleyes1.gif and did he mention he works on a sliding commission? Even if the two sales receipts were equal in value, he'd take home more for the Pro sale than for the iMac sale. He probably also figured you'd be back for that second monitor sometime down the road.
    His arguement was iMac 24" with more power, plus second monitor = Mac pro plus mediocre monitor in $ amount. I felt better abot a good monitor rather than a few seconds difference in processing speed.

So hopefully I have made the best choice given my options for having it in my hands now!

Let's say you use the machine for 1 hour a day working on photos. The difference in wait time for PS to chew on them in long batch processes might be a minute. (I'm assuming you spend a lot of time in long filters... it might be more like a tens of seconds over that hour.) On the other hand, you'll be staring at those monitors the entire hour plus a little bit. And the entire hour plus a little bit you'll be trying to figure out how to spread your work around on those monitors.

Nah, I think you made a pretty good choice. thumb.gif
    I also bought CS3 and the apple extended warranty.

and the leopard upgrade did not have a price attached, that I have found yet anyway.

good choices on both. It's $10 for shipping and handling... the update itself is "free". If you bought ten machines, you could buy one physical media, and then request additional "right to copy" slips, which is basically the license, for each additional. When I got it for 10.4 they weren't even physical, they emailed me a PDF.
    and I got confused about lightroom v aperture, so got neither.

ann

Lots of people do just fine without either. :)
    Funny, the sales guy's vote was aperture

rolleyes1.gif of course he did. Aperature is an Apple program. See above about commisions. mwink.gif
    ('most real photogs use aperture')

That is what we call the Jobsonian RDF. Clearly the sales guy was under it's spell... congratulations for resisting it's siren song.

And welcome to the light side.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Congratulations on your new Mac!!!!!

I don't use Lightroom or Aperture... but then I don't do the type of photography where it would be useful. With your sports shooting, you might find you have more need of those programs.

Again, Congratulations!
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    You mean the dock? If you do, it's easily moved. I'm guessing you don't mean the dock. :hide
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    You mean the dock? If you do, it's easily moved. I'm guessing you don't mean the dock. :hide

macintosh_hd-20071019-143123.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Oooh, that sidebar. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Drag the column divider to the left to show only the icons.

oh yeah...eek7.gif .. actually I did try that first ting but I didnt realise it snapped to, when I did it it either showed a bit of text or went right over the icons

(aaagh I am going mad it is neaqrly half past midnight and the neighbours are playting REALLY loud and BAD music - pulls hair out....)

at leat my sidebar is right now.. that's something ...
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Thanks, guys!!! I am sitting here on my windows machine, looking at the splendor of my new iMac, as it tries to install some software upgrades. Keeps finding more things to upgrade!!

I have been thinking that the learning curve is gonna be huge - new operating system and new editing system!!!! But it is winter, and we Canadians pretty much hibernate so I will have lots of time to learn.

So I have many, many photos, strewn across the windows hard drive, the external hard drive, the old virus infected harddrive and many, many cds.

Where to starts, and what is the most logical orgnizational system?

Currently, I make a folder per month, and subfolders within that.

My RSE (raw shooters essentials) makes a subfolder for converted files. Will ACR do that?

Oh I can see this is going to be a huge process!!!!

ann
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    You are not in this alone. I have been going through this as well. I still use Windows at work and Mac at home for personal stuff and am trying to transition. I have put up a few of my comments on my blog. The two that might be interesting are:

Interesting Changing Computer Operating Systems

or
    Greetings from St. Louis

I am asking questions everyday.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Thanks, Brad. I will be asking lots!

First impessions:

Wow, what a difference a good monitor makes ...... and I haven't set up the 23" cinema display yet!!!

Second, my editing hasn't sucked too much lately, despite my lousy monitors! Gotta trust that histogram!

Third....don't tell my hubby buy maybe if we had bought a new monitor when we had to replace the HD, we wouldn't have needed this whole new system!!! But wait, there is still the dealing with vista and its random shut downs that would be ticking me off....

Loving the apple keyboard, loving the way smugmug displays in safari!!!!
    So far so good.

ann
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Ann,

I like the new keyboard, too.

For work I got the new wireless keyboard, which is the size of the keyboard on a MacBook, and is THIN!

I love that thing. Love, love, love.

Again, congrats!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thanks, David.

I just set the other monitor up - first issue - mouse cord not long enough. I imagine it is easily fixed with a wireless mouse.

Boy, these monitors are sweet.

too kewl!

DavidTO wrote:
    Ann,

I like the new keyboard, too.

For work I got the new wireless keyboard, which is the size of the keyboard on a MacBook, and is THIN!

I love that thing. Love, love, love.

Again, congrats!