Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    ok..im updating everything in it & it has got to iTunes & it keeps asking me to ' please quit iTunes before continuing with this update' now im not in iTunes..ive opened it a few times & closed it.

Whats mac speak for 'control alt delete' so i can see what programmes are running ?

Gus, you got the answer about Force Quit, but I highly doubt that you had to use it. Force Quit should be a last resort. Do not get in the habit of using it.

Clicking the red close dot does NOT quit an application, it only closes the window (with a few very rare exceptions). Most likely you DID have iTunes open, but you had the window closed. The app was still running. To really close an application you need to quit it. File>Quit.

The dock shows you which applications are running, as will holding down the command key (don't let go!) and hitting tab. As long as you hold down comand you can see what's open, switch between apps, quit apps, hide apps, etc.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Thanks for all this info guys - I may need to join gus' lessons!

Gus - they are pretty, aren't they?

And as far as the monitor calibration and being able to make the apple actually disappear - I couldn't. Came closer on the cinema display than the iMac, but still not disappeared.

ann
    DavidTO wrote:
    Gus, you got the answer about Force Quit, but I highly doubt that you had to use it. Force Quit should be a last resort. Do not get in the habit of using it.

Clicking the red close dot does NOT quit an application, it only closes the window (with a few very rare exceptions). Most likely you DID have iTunes open, but you had the window closed. The app was still running. To really close an application you need to quit it. File>Quit.

The dock shows you which applications are running, as will holding down the command key (don't let go!) and hitting tab. As long as you hold down comand you can see what's open, switch between apps, quit apps, hide apps, etc.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks for all this info guys - I may need to join gus' lessons!

Gus - they are pretty, aren't they?

And as far as the monitor calibration and being able to make the apple actually disappear - I couldn't. Came closer on the cinema display than the iMac, but still not disappeared.

ann

I could never get the apple to disappear either. Just get as close as you can.

Maybe some tech type person here could post some screen grabs showing their before and after examples of trying to make the apple disappear? I'd like to see how close they get just to see what it's supposed to look like.

Oh, and when I used huey to adjust my monitor, there was hardly any difference, so using the built in monitor calibration on my particular monitor was almost identical to the huey adjusted version.

I've used Macs when they were apples back in the 1980s... but I learn new tips here all the time. It's amazing how different people learn and use different techniques.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    alt = option

should be next to the apple (command) key...
    ahh tks...the keyboard is only bloody 10" long & my eyes aint what they used to be.
    edited November 6, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I could never get the apple to disappear either. Just get as close as you can.

It's all in the squinting. And it's better than nothing! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

cmd-q will actually quit an application as well thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's all in the squinting. And it's better than nothing! thumb.gif
    I gave up trying to make it work on the lappie. Too radical a change from the default.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited November 6, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    cmd-q will actually quit an application as well thumb.gif
    That's what I use. Hope I'm not breaking the machine. :uhoh

Gus, open a program. Look at the top of your screen. Top left is a blue Apple. To the right of that is the name of the program you're using, and its menu strip. To close it, you can either click on the File drop-down menu, and click on Close. Or hit Command-Q.

Try opening a bunch of programs. Then click the red dot to close each one's window.

Now, hold down the Command button, and hit Tab. You'll get a little window that shows each of your programs. Each time you hit Tab, you call up the next program.

In other words, as David said, you closed the window... but not the program.

To close the program itself, I do the Command-Tab trick to select the program I want to close, and then Command-Q to close the program itself. All keystrokes, no mouse action. To use the mouse, Command-Tab to the program, then click on the File drop-down menu, and click on Close.

Clear as mud?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    That's what I use. Hope I'm not breaking the machine. :uhoh

Gus, open a program. Look at the top of your screen. Top left is a blue Apple. To the right of that is the name of the program you're using, and its menu strip. To close it, you can either click on the File drop-down menu, and click on Close. Or hit Command-Q.

Try opening a bunch of programs. Then click the red dot to close each one's window.

Now, hold down the Command button, and hit Tab. You'll get a little window that shows each of your programs. Each time you hit Tab, you call up the next program.

In other words, as David said, you closed the window... but not the program.

To close the program itself, I do the Command-Tab trick to select the program I want to close, and then Command-Q to close the program itself. All keystrokes, no mouse action. To use the mouse, Command-Tab to the program, then click on the File drop-down menu, and click on Close.

Clear as mud?
    Yeah..its cool. now how do i open 2 web pages at once ? I saw doc doing it last night but i have forgotten how he did it. In windows i used to just reduce one and open the nextheadscratch.gif

Pretty basic stuff i know but i have to ask. Remember guys..keep it simple pls.
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Yeah..its cool. now how do i open 2 web pages at once ? I saw doc doing it last night but i have forgotten how he did it. In windows i used to just reduce one and open the nextheadscratch.gif

Pretty basic stuff i know but i have to ask. Remember guys..keep it simple pls.

CMD + N should open a new window regardless of which browser you have.

Getting more technical you could try playing with CMD + T for a new Tab, and play with those too...

Playing around with F9-F12 could also reveal some neat tricks.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    gus wrote:

You can do that too. Minimize a window and open a new one. (Keyboard sequence would be Command-M, then Command-N, works in Safari & Firefox). That should be a lot like Windows.

Tabs are better though. I think in Safari you have to enable tabs in preferences, but once that's done you can hit Command-T to open a New Tab.

Or right-click a link to open it in a new window or a new tab or download the target, same as Windows.

Or Command-click a link to open it in a new tab. Another way to do that is to click the scroll wheel if you have one.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    File>Quit.
    oh no, you didn't.
    wxwax wrote:
    click on the File drop-down menu, and click on Close.
    argh, not you too!

rolleyes1.gif

What they mean, Gus, is the ApplicationName menu, then Quit.

picture1wa2.jpg

(or, as you've found, Command-Q works great) clap.gif
    edited November 6, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    argh, not you too!

Like I said. umph.gif

wxwax wrote:

Picture's worth a thousand words, though! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    edited November 6, 2007
    Hey gus, if you've got a bunch of different windows open in most programs (not photoshop umph.gif) you can hit cmd-~ (the tilde to the left of the 1 key) to switch between them. Or you can use F10 if you've set up expose to use those keys. Or you can use the hot corner assuming you've set those up. thumb.gif

cmd-~ is a sanity saver for me.

edited November 6, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    oh no, you didn't.

Ha!! A leftover from my OS9 and earlier days. Brainfart.

Nice catch!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 6, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hey gus, if you've got a bunch of different windows open in most programs (not photoshop umph.gif) you can hit cmd-~ (the tilde to the left of the 1 key) to switch between them. Or you can use F10 if you've set up expose to use those keys. Or you can use the hot corner assuming you've set those up. thumb.gif

cmd-~ is a sanity saver for me.
    i've tied full screen expose to my third mouse button and application expose to a hotcorner. show desktop is another hot corner. works so so nice on my lappy but may be moot on a big display.

if you're in safari, cmd + L will select the url in the address bar. You can then type in your url and hit cmd + T for a new tab or cmd + shift + T to have that tab selected.

cmd + spacebar will launch spotlight and from there you can type in anything you want to search for. In Leopard, Applications now show as the first hit so you can use it as an application launcher. cmd + space, type saf, safari is selected in spotlight, hit enter and away you go!

The hotkeys take a bit of getting used to but are so much more powerful than they were in windows.
    Pedal faster
    edited November 6, 2007
    the (odd?) thing about iTunes is that it's window doesn't automatically show itself when you command-Tab to the app. Even then, Window->BringAllToFront doesn't show the "main" window. Window->iTunes does that. hmmmm.
    edited November 6, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    if you're in safari, cmd + L will select the url in the address bar. You can then type in your url and hit cmd + T for a new tab or cmd + shift + T to have that tab selected.

BWG: If you install SAFT you can have the tabs open to the far right, far left, or to the left/right of the active tab, as well.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    BWG: If you install SAFT you can have the tabs open to the far right, far left, or to the left/right of the active tab, as well.
    interesting. I dont really care where the tabs open though. I can rearrange them later if I want to.
    Pedal faster
    edited November 6, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    the (odd?) thing about iTunes is that it's window doesn't automatically show itself when you command-Tab to the app. Even then, Window->BringAllToFront doesn't show the "main" window. Window->iTunes does that. hmmmm.
    you sure you don't have iTunes minimized to the dock? cmd+tab shows the main window for me so long as its not minimized (same with all apps).

That is one of my nits about OSX though, if i cmd+tab to an app, I want it to show regardless of whether its been minimized or not.
    Pedal faster
    edited November 6, 2007
    yea, that's when minimized. (and it's not just iTunes - I just checked and the other apps do just the same.) I'd expected as you, that cmd-tab would restore the window.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Yabut, what about this?
    yeah, you're right. so for gus, I'm doing my best to read up and be proper - he's actually a good photographer and cares about colors, so I want to make sure I set up his monitor right next time I get called in for Mac support lol3.gif

I did the change and I still have a bit of wonkiness - PS is now looking like FF, but the image in Bridge is NOT the same color as in PS. Screen grab (very obvious, colors are more saturated and contrasty in Bridge preview, on right):

2007-10-25.jpg___50___rgb_8_monitor_-20071107-081750.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited November 6, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hey gus, if you've got a bunch of different windows open in most programs (not photoshop umph.gif) you can hit cmd-~ (the tilde to the left of the 1 key) to switch between them.
    Cool tip. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    edited November 6, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:

In Firefox, Command-K puts your cursor on the Google search window.

Is there a similar keystroke in Safari?
    Sid.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

opt-cmd-f thumb.gif
    edited November 6, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    opt-cmd-f thumb.gif
    Thanks!
    Sid.
    edited November 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah, you're right. so for gus, I'm doing my best to read up and be proper - he's actually a good photographer and cares about colors, so I want to make sure I set up his monitor right next time I get called in for Mac support lol3.gif

I did the change and I still have a bit of wonkiness - PS is now looking like FF, but the image in Bridge is NOT the same color as in PS. Screen grab (very obvious, colors are more saturated and contrasty in Bridge preview, on right):
    I have mine calibrated via the system-calibration tool and lightroom still displays differently than on the web. Lightroom is like your Bridge shot above. It's friggin maddening and i cant figure a way around it.

on another note, are those safety goggles? Is there anything *not* dangerous over there?
    Pedal faster
    edited November 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

rad!

Okay here's some fun firefox ones.

The F6 key highlights the current page's URL in the address bar.

When you're entering in a url you can complete it by using modifiers to the enter key. cmd-enter does .com, shift-enter does .net, and cmd-shift-enter does .org.

So if you type smugmug and hit cmd enter it will change the url to http://www.smugmug.com/ automagically. If you hit shift enter instead, it will change the url to http://www.smugmug.net/ and if you instead hit cmd-shift-enter it would make it http://www.smugmug.org/.

Can safari do that?

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I have mine calibrated via the system-calibration tool and lightroom still displays differently than on the web. Lightroom is like your Bridge shot above. It's friggin maddening and i cant figure a way around it.
    if even you can't fix it, then I'm happy :D as long as the PS view is close enough to web, that's fine with me. I only use the Bridge preview for quick culling of shots anyway.

on another note, are those safety goggles? Is there anything *not* dangerous over there?
    lol3.gif
    I was hoping you wouldn't notice that. Aussie spuds are harmless, unless you're MrsIt who has a weird eye potato allergy.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited November 6, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    rad!

Okay here's some fun firefox ones.

The F6 key highlights the current page's URL in the address bar.

When you're entering in a url you can complete it by using modifiers to the enter key. cmd-enter does .com, shift-enter does .net, and cmd-shift-enter does .org.

So if you type smugmug and hit cmd enter it will change the url to http://www.smugmug.com/ automagically. If you hit shift enter instead, it will change the url to http://www.smugmug.net/ and if you instead hit cmd-shift-enter it would make it http://www.smugmug.org/.

Can safari do that?
    Hmmm, Firefox doesn't do any of these on my Macbook.

Edit: I see, it'll do it if you don't put in the www.
    Sid.