Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    if even you can't fix it, then I'm happy :D as long as the PS view is close enough to web, that's fine with me. I only use the Bridge preview for quick culling of shots anyway.

lol3.gif
    I was hoping you wouldn't notice that. Aussie spuds are harmless, unless you're MrsIt who has a weird eye potato allergy.
    So Andy sez Lightroom operates in ProPhoto. Maybe the same for Bridge?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    What do these words mean? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    What do these words mean? headscratch.gif
    ProPhoto RGB
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I know this was answered a few time somewhere in this big convoluted thread, but can someone please save me an hour or two of reading and tell me which colourspace I should set on my imac. I did the calibration thing and and have that saved as an option, but if I go to one of the other presets, which one should I use? sRGB? one of the others?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    I know this was answered a few time somewhere in this big convoluted thread, but can someone please save me an hour or two of reading and tell me which colourspace I should set on my imac. I did the calibration thing and and have that saved as an option, but if I go to one of the other presets, which one should I use? sRGB? one of the others?

Set where?

Meaning, set Photoshop to sRGB. Calibrate your monitor. You don't "set your mac" to a color space, per se.

Make sense?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    sorry, I should have been clearer. I have done the monitor calibration thing (couldn't really make the apple disappear!) and have since decided that that setting is a little too dark compared to the other presets I can choose in the "color" setting in the display preferences. So if I don't want to use the profile I saved using the monitor calibrator then which profile should I set it back to?? Make sense? I am probably mixing up my terminology badly here...
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Internally Lr uses it's own color space. It has the size of Pro Photo but the response curve of sRGB. *see below for how Br sees things
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I did the change and I still have a bit of wonkiness - PS is now looking like FF, but the image in Bridge is NOT the same color as in PS. Screen grab (very obvious, colors are more saturated and contrasty in Bridge preview, on right):

Bridge displays images according to you Camera RAW preferences. Import an image into ACR, then adjust the basics like saturation and tonal curve, etc. Don't adjust exposure or any other setting that is more image to image dependent. Then go under the menu and click "save new camera raw defaults". Now bridge will display with better saturation, vibrance, contrast curve, etc..

This was a HUGE nightmare for me a while back and it took weeks of reading to get that simple paragraph posted above.

BTW I'm on a PC but this problem has proven to be an equal opportunity PITA and it's cross platform.

-Jon
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Bridge displays images according to you Camera RAW preferences. Import an image into ACR, then adjust the basics like saturation and tonal curve, etc. Don't adjust exposure or any other setting that is more image to image dependent. Then go under the menu and click "save new camera raw defaults". Now bridge will display with better saturation, vibrance, contrast curve, etc..
    good onya for figuring that out... but, what if 99% of my images are .jpg, it still interprets them based on my camera RAW settings? that doesn't compute headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    good onya for figuring that out... but, what if 99% of my images are .jpg, it still interprets them based on my camera RAW settings? that doesn't compute headscratch.gif
    Not sure on that.
    I know there's som issues w/ Bridge in general w/ color management though.

I only use Br nowdays for browsing through .eps & .ai files NEway. I've finally keyworded my Lr collection to the point where I can find pretty much anything within a few keystrokes.

Did'nt see that part about the jpeg.. Good luck. It was a real hassle for me..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    ok..next.

How do i save a photo from the net [in accordance with all copywrite laws of course]

...and how do i allow cookies ?
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    I assume Safari..

Saving web images locally:
    Click on the pick, drag it to where you want. Done.

Allowing cookies:
    Safari>preferences (shortcut "cmd + ,")
    Security tab. If you need help from there...
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I assume Safari..

Security tab. If you need help from there...
    tks ..yep safari.I looked in security re cookies & couldnt see what to allow headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    headscratch.gif
    screen cap?
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    screen cap?
    Its cool..i think i have too many questions thus i will cook a steak for doc & bribe him to pop over again & take me through a few basics.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    gus wrote:
    How do i save a photo from the net [in accordance with all copywrite laws of course]

three ways I can think of (Safari, anyway):
    1. right-click to get the menu; press option to get the "Download Linked File As..." command to manually set the download folder
    2. option-click the link to the image (option-click forces link to download to default download folder instead of appearing in browser)
    3. drag the image off the page to a folder

Here is something I didn't know until like a week ago. If you are dragging and you can't see the target drop window, without stopping the drag (keep mouse pressed) hit Command-Tab with your other hand and pick the app icon so that the target window comes into view, then you can drop. Also when dragging to a closed folder you can press Space (again without stopping the drag) to pop open the folder in mid-drag; good way to drill down while dragging.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Anyone having issues with Lightroom and spaces?

So far this is the only time I have noticed this, LR is running in 1, I am surfing/emailing from 2 and it keeps switching me back to LR. ne_nau.gif

Dunno but this is a good place to get LR answers, several LR guru's there:-)

http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    gus wrote:
    ok..next.

...and how do i allow cookies ?

All I ever do is either right click and save linked file ( or whatever it says)
    or just drag the image to the desktop - put it where i want later - or you could use 'command+shift+4' and drag across the area you want copied and that will save it as a selective screenshot
    gus wrote:
    tks ..yep safari.I looked in security re cookies & couldnt see what to allow headscratch.gif

allow cookies by going to 'preferences>security>' click on 'only sites I navigate to' - that's what I use anyway I think it's deafult

There's also 'private browsing' you can set in the file menumwink.gifmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Gus, I highly recommend Skitch for screengrabs. Nothing makes sharing screengrabs easier.

It is beta, and it requires that you get an invite, which I could have sent to you, but it requires that I give them an email for you.

You can watch a demo of it here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I often use Grab that is provided with Mac OS. It should be in the utility folder. My only gripe would be that it saves as a tiff file, no option for jpg or gif, but it is easy to use and free.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I often use Grab that is provided with Mac OS. It should be in the utility folder. My only gripe would be that it saves as a tiff file, no option for jpg or gif, but it is easy to use and free.
    If you are using Grab still, then get SCIT (google it, it's free), makes the grabbed file a jpg if you want thumb.gif

But, Skitch, ftw clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    allow cookies by going to 'preferences>security>' click on 'only sites I navigate to' - that's what I use anyway I think it's deafult
    I cannot see those words in any of the security tabs or inside any of them. Im using safari. the site i am trying to see is
    www.mtbcut.tv
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    In your Safari prefs (NOT your System Prefs!):

security-20071107-110445.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    FYI:
    If you ever grab a portion of a screen and send it to the Clipboard (using the shortcut cmd+shift+control+4), and then decide you’d rather have the image be a file of its own, just switch to Preview and press command-N—there’s no need to grab the screenshot again.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    FYI:
    If you ever grab a portion of a screen and send it to the Clipboard (using the shortcut cmd+shift+control+4), and then decide you’d rather have the image be a file of its own, just switch to Preview and press command-N—there’s no need to grab the screenshot again.

Or get Skitch. mwink.gif

Edit: just tried the command-n thing in Preview, it's not working for me? Or maybe I just don't get what you're saying?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    In your Safari prefs (NOT your System Prefs!):
    Yep..i have it checked the same as your picture. Should i accept from all then ?
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Yep..i have it checked the same as your picture. Should i accept from all then ?

Only if you want to accept cookies from advertisers and the like.

Let's back up. What exactly is happening when you go to that site?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Only if you want to accept cookies from advertisers and the like.

Let's back up. What exactly is happening when you go to that site?
    It opens as normal & in the first secon of the vid starting to buffer it closes & states 'your cookie function is turned off'
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    gus wrote:
    It opens as normal & in the first secon of the vid starting to buffer it closes & states 'your cookie function is turned off'

Try turning on "Always". That should fix it. Then see if you can turn it back to "Only Site I Navigate To" and see if it still works. The second is preferred, but it's not a huge deal.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    There's a great plug-in app for Safari called Pith Helmet, that gives you a lot of control over cookies and other stuff. Unfortunately, it's not yet Leopard compatible.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    There's a great plug-in app for Safari called Pith Helmet, that gives you a lot of control over cookies and other stuff. Unfortunately, it's not yet Leopard compatible.

Sorry i should have made myself clearer. Its the video that opens on the page automatically when the page is opened that i cant see. I get it no worrys on my PC.

With leopard i get the following msg.

you need 10.2, 10.3.9 is best with either media player 9 or flipmac WMV 2.0.2 or newer.